Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Non-Biased Reliability

dwwebstedwwebste Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in General
I would like to know where I can find information
about reliability, that doesn't come from someone
like me, who has only driven Fords, and would
normally swear by them. I was considering a Ram
1500, and the mechanix at my shop told me that they
see fewer of those than Ford or Chevy, but that
might be because there are fewer on the road. So,
how do I know which truck will last longest? I
want a fullsize, for I am "full-figured" and my 73
F100 lasted for 325K miles before bending a pushrod
when the timing chain broke. So now, it's time to
move on. Anybody know where to look?

Comments

• Options
    RichRich Member Posts: 128
    dwwebste,
    If you got 325 out of the last one, you obviously know how to take care of a truck. Regardless of what you buy, it will probably last between 300 and 350. My only advice is to buy something that you're comfortable with!
    Rich
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Toyotas seem to have the best long term rep, but keep in mind that whatever vehicle you buy is only as good as the dealer standing behind it. Dodge seems to really have a problem in this area, based on posts I've read, and my own experience to a small degree. Lots of posts here saying they just shrug off your complaints as "normal characteristic of the vehicle".

I would investigate your local dealers, and go with the brand that has the best dealer, all else being equal.
  • Options
    jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    well, any information of reliability will usually
    come from a survey/study of cases from people
    like us anyways :) i.e. consumer reports and the
    like..
    although i have a new f250 sd and my mom has a 98
    suburban, both which haven't given any problems
    so far (and hopefully continues), we and others
    have had awesome reliablity from toyotas (pickup
    and cars)--but i think the word "reliability" is
    a misnomer because usually if you take good care
    of your vehicle, it's reliable. But what
    differentiates the 91 pickup we had was that we
    didn't constantly take good care of it and
    constantly abused it off road, yet it and my mom's
    previous and current camry seems to have really
    great tolerance for abuse :-) e.g. camry: one time i was driving out in the desert hwy at night, had
    to make a stop on the shoulder. but there was
    a big metal "thing" (maybe a dumped part from a
    semi) ahead of me that i couldn't see because it
    was very dark, so as i speeded up looking to
    merge, i rammed into that thing and it slid passed
    under the car. although bumper was messed up,
    nooo problems with the car :)

sorry for the long reply..
    but i would go with ford, according to consumer
    reports, they are best in reliability for
    domestic. but then again, i guess it just depends
    on your luck sometimes to "beat the odds", as my
    mom's suburban has over 20,000 and no problems,
    but some others have their chevy's just for a
    couple thousand until stuff starts falling apart-
    case in point: edmund's long term test for the
    99 sierra--tester (woman who's not heavy at
    all) grabs the A-beam? or whatever the support is
    for driver door frame whenever getting in. and
    not long after, the interior covering/molding
    comes off; and i've also read of other not so good
    things about its build quality.. but then again,
    there are always those "buts" .. so i guess
    i haven't given anything useful/definitive
    afterall :(
  • Options
    etagetag Member Posts: 14
    Hi

My 2 cents:
    1991 Nissan Hard Body:173000 miles burns NO oil
    leaks NO oil.Clutch may need replacing by 200000.
    I do brakes(2 sets), bulbs(5),belts(1) and mufflers(2).
    It just keeps going.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Read the topics about head gaskets. Then check the crash worthiness tests.
  • Options
    jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    we were also affected by the head gasket problem.
    simply got it replaced and that's it.
    but i wouldn't consider that a factor in
    reliability as that's just a "bug" from the
    factory--reliability to me is how long something
    correctly designed lasts (e.g. low reliability:
    no flaw in design, functions correctly, but only
    functions properly for a short time), so that would exclude crash worthiness in this case
    --if it was somebody like volvo, then ok, that
    would be an issue because that's a major part of
    their design.

well, that's just my $.02 on my toyota experience
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I think ford has the most reliable trucks and thats with consumers and other reliable scources,keep in mind ford makes and sells over 800,000 f series trucks a year while toyota might make 100,000,obviously the more you make the more likely you may have a problem if toyota put out 800,000 trucks a year I'm sure there would be more than headgasket problems, and if ford only built 100,000 trucks they would be the best in the universe and not just the planet.
  • Options
    It's not that Toyota made thousands of defective gaskets. Gaskets are not hard to make properly. No, the problem is that in squeezing the cylinders together to make it compact, they didn't leave enough metal between the bores for an effective sealing surface. It's fundamentally a 60,000 mile engine. Toyota deserves credit for standing behind them!
  • Options
    mfreemanmfreeman Member Posts: 37
    If ford builds more trucks then GM every year, but GM has more trucks on the road, that would seem to indicate GM trucks are better. (Or Fords are more accident prone :)

Mike
  • Options
    shu13shu13 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 95 Sonoma brand new. It currently has 73k on it. I have and problems galore. New piston heads, fan clutch, hazard lights switch broke in my hands, interior integrity lacks, new heater core, now it needs a new exhaust.

Luckly I did a lot of this work under warranty, but time has come to depart. I would suggest to all S-10 or Sonoma potential owners to steer clear. Go with the Ranger or Tacoma!

Shu13
  • Options
    deltoid1deltoid1 Member Posts: 26
    BUY A TOYOTA.I JUST TRADED OFF A TROUBLESOME RANGER FOR A TACOMA.
  • Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    and what makes you think you won't have problems with the toyota
  • Options
    And what are piston heads anyway?

108,000 miles and counting on my S10 4.3L, hardly any problems. My exhaust lasted 9 years. Great!
  • Options
    RichRich Member Posts: 128
    I was in an older Chevy, smaller size, mid eighties, whatever the S10 was called then. THis one had about 110K miles. The guy who was driving claimed to take care of it, but not like I would. It was still running. Didn't sound bad but wasn't a new sound either. Kind of clunky in the auto transmission department. My only comment was, don't let your 16 year old and soon to get a license drive it. When asked why, the answer was, she's an old lady and your teenager will abuse it to death. Neither the driver nor I would use the truck for a 200 mile round trip to San Diego. It'll do fine for city use and his 5 mile commute.

Rich
  • Options
    Planejane, has 207,000 miles on her '92 S10 Blazer 4x4. Says it's still going strong, and she uses it hard, lots of off-road use. See topic #826.
  • Options
    hindsitehindsite Member Posts: 590
    I really think that Dodge, Ford, Toyota, Nissan and the rest of the car manufacturers are all about the same overall in reliabilty. I just don't understand someone can equate crash worthiness and reliability in the same context.

I have a 94 F150 4x4 with 40,000 miles plus that has been reliable except for the one times I had the transmission rebuilt. It is still a great truck overall. My 99 Tacoma is new and I can't really say that it is as reliable as the F150. I have had 92 Ford Mark III Conversion van that was very good up to the time I sold her at only 45,000 miles. Fords do hold up well, but then I don't have the high mileage to prove it.
  • Options
    donniemacdonniemac Member Posts: 8
    It doesn't matter what you buy. If your vehicle is very good, you will say good things about it and keep it if you have any sense. The opposite is true if the vehicle is bad. You should cut your losses immediately. Take care of the vehicle and in all probability it will take care of you.
    The Japanese use better manufacturing techniques, increasing the probability of a good vehicle, but they are human and do make errors. The American manufacturers are catching up by leaps and bounds but still have old habits to overcome. The dealer is a vital link in your happiness and a poor dealer can make a little oops into a big problem and a good dealer will keep you satisfied no matter what. Several years ago, one of the automotive trade magazines did a survey and found that when a vehicle was taken in for warranty work, the American dealers had a higher satisfaction rating but the Japanese dealers saw a smaller percentage of new vehicles sold resulting in more satisfied customers. The used car market place reflects somewhat accurately the actual quality of the vehicles.
    I would like to point out that Toyota sells vehicle all over the world and sells many more trucks in the third world (a bunch of smaller markets) than the American manufacturers. On the TV news from other parts of the world, I see a lot of Toyota pickup trucks and Land Cruisers. For the record, I buy Japanese or German because on average my friends and I get 200K out of them vs my friends who get 150k out of their American brands (please notice I said on average). I work for a automotive components supplier with customers in the US, Europe, and Asia.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." This topic will be archived or deleted within the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.