Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger 4.0 Engine Problems

ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Ford
Am I the only one out there? Have you ever
listened to your 4.0 V-6 engine (1998 Ranger 4X4,
driven easily and dealer maintained) - with the new
5-speed transmission (this may matter, not sure
yet) at idle - no load on engine - not in gear, no
a/c on? You just might here a noise you don't want
to hear - uneven piston knocking? So far, that is
the best my dealer can figure out. And, so far, a
truck that is only 15 months old with 17,500 miles
is truly not like new. The engine has been
totally rebuilt - about 2 weeks in the shop, mostly
waiting on parts from FORD. (The dealer wanted a
new engine - FORD says no, try to fix this one
first.) And, it still is not right. The dealer
has rebuilt the engine back to what I think is
better than factory specs - it feels like it was
when it was new and maybe better. BUT - now I
know the noise! And, I already hear it again - not
loud, but less than 100 miles since the rebuild!
So, just letting others know - I have a dealer
doing all they can, but FORD did not go along with
the proper fix. After over 20 years of buying Ford
trucks - this may very well be the last. Thank
you Toyota for finally braving the world of our USA
dominated trucks and building a truck that we may
all consider usable. Does Ford not care that we
spend a lot for their trucks, many have been
incredibly loyal and now I have to be without mine
again for who knows how long? At this point,
before the inevitable e-mail - I will pursue
arbitration.

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Not all of us consider the Toyota usable.

Shame on Ford though.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Better check www.carpoint.msn.com before claiming Toyota the king of reliability. Also, are you not familiar with the headgasket problems with Toyota's?
    I own a Ranger just like yours 4.0 5spd. I only have 15K, not one problem.
  • ratman1ratman1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT LB 4x4 with a 5 speed transmission. I have 125,100 miles on this vehicle and it runs like a dream. It has plenty of pep even with the age and the mileage on the truck. The only noise that I hear when it is idling is the exhaust system which is pretty much standard. I owned a 1990 Ranger prior to this one and it made the same noise. I do a lot of deer hunting in Tennessee and the mountains and brush are rough on the underside of any 4x4. I'm just so glad it doesn't drive 'like a rock'.
    As far as the Toyota is concerned, check the sheet metal thickness and the bracing compared to the Rangers. At 75 mph, the Toyota's hoods really vibrated and shook badly on the ones I test drove. I drove the Tacoma and the T100. The metal thickness is less than the Ranger. It makes you wonder if a front end collision would end your driving days. Check the safety records on these trucks before purchasing a Toy. I believe the Ranger is the compact truck to drive.
    Rat
  • fquinnfquinn Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 1998 2wd Ranger with the 4.0L. I hear that noise you are talking about in my engine and the service dept. said there is nothing wrong. Yeah right. I'm going to keep trying. This will be my last Ford
  • delta2delta2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Ranger,2wd,v6 4.0, but with the 5speed automatic trans. 50k mi. and so far runs like a champ.
  • scralfscralf Member Posts: 1
    I plan to purchase a Ranger with the 4.0 V6. I have had my heart set on it for months. Now doing research it seems it may not be a good idea. And if i do follow through with buying the '99 model how much should i spend? I don't care about power windows or locks, cruise control, or any of that business, I just want a truck that looks good and can beat a Chevy and roast a dodge.
  • sushisushi Member Posts: 99
    Without those options, A B4000 might be cheaper in the end than a Ranger. B-series come standard with some things that the ranger does not, and lets you build your truck.
  • frankc55frankc55 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a Mazda b3000, it has been great. I paid a little over 16,000. The truck is an auto, xcab, with air and a bedliner. People rave about how nice it looks.
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    My 99 Ranger, 4.0, upgraded radio, Air and add on cruise was $17,400 in January but I also got whole amount +tax/license financed at 2.9%(saved $1,500). Could have gotten truck for 16,400 but finance myself (7.9%). I didnt want the prower windows/mirror. I broke a mirror on my 94 Intrepid and it was $275 +140 to install. Had a lock go bad on my wifes LeBaron and it was $700 to replace the motor. It is nice to have but I just didnt need that stuff. Personal choice.

14,000 mile no problems and seems to run fine. First alignment at 13,000 miles, 3 offroad 10,000 foot 4X4 passes in the rockies and it was still within specs, just minor tweeks. DO BE PREPARED TO SPEND $40 A SIDE TO GET CASTOR ADJUSTERS. Suppose to eliminate drift.
  • bepnmbepnm Member Posts: 1
    My 1994 Ranger 2WD XLT (110K miles) has been having an intermitent fuel system problem. Not getting any fuel to the engine on start-up. It doesn't stall or cause any other problems. Runs like a champ once it gets started.

I've replaced the fuel pump and all filters. Vacuum lines are good. Relay is good.

Anybody have another idea?
  • deltoid1deltoid1 Member Posts: 26
    My '97 Ranger has had it's share of problems and it's out of warranty.My dealership doesn't care.I've had it buying General Motors and Ford products.I'm going to buy a Nissan Frontier.
  • cindyscindys Member Posts: 1
    We just test drove a '98 4x4 w/4.0L and 5 speed manual transmission. The truck has 19,000 miles. My first comment was on the engine noise. We currently own a 91 Ranger 4x2 w/4.0L automatic. The Chitti Chitti Bang Bang noise just started a few months ago. No problems before that. This '98 has the exact same noise. Any tech bulletins from Ford on this? It seems to be a '98 problem. It was enough of a concern for us to avoid the '98 and look at the '99.
  • slussmanslussman Member Posts: 1
    I have the chitti chitti bang bang noise in my 1999 Ford Ranger, 4x4, 4.0L engine. It sounds more like a diesel engine than a gas powered engine when cold. Almost as if a few valves need adjusted. After the engine warms up, though, it is not so bad. It sounds more like a sporty gurgle at that point. In any event, I'm planning to go back to Klaben Ford to have it checked out ... and to drive another 4.0L 4x4 to see if the same noise exists. I'll give my findings after that for those interested.
  • paulj1paulj1 Member Posts: 1
    EXTREMELY HELPFUL TECH INFORMATION ON ALL FORD RANGERS. EVEN 4.0 AND 5.0 ENGINE SWAPS.
    ADDRESS IS WWW.FORDRANGER.COM HOPE IT HELPS

PAULJ
  • jimmcdjimmcd Member Posts: 16
    I had a 91 Ranger XLT 4.0 automatic. No problem until my son took it from me. Bought a new 95 Ranger 4.0 XLT auto. No problems except #2 son needs it more than I do (according to him.) I've been happy with Ranger 4.0s. I'm going to a Silverado this time and hope I have the same luck.
  • piersonpierson Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 Manual 4-door Supercab with all the goodies. I only have 159 miles on it (yes, brand new). I haven't experienced engine noises yet - when have you noticed them showing up? Anything else I should brace myself for? So far, I really enjoy my truck!
  • cpousnrcpousnr Member Posts: 1,611
    Hope your still listening on your fuel pump issue.

I was reading a guys post elsewhere. He had the pump cut out every so often. Had pump/relay changed.

He found a build up of corrosion or something on the fuse in the engine compartment. Changed fuse and off it goes so he says.

Try that.
  • fordrangerxltfordrangerxlt Member Posts: 1
    Have a loaded 99' w/4.0 5spd man. Has 28,000 miles. Engine runs strong and sounds great.
    Had a 93' that with the four cyl. that is still going after 187,000. Does not burn a drop of oil and has never had anything more than new brakes, tires, shocks, and the occ. tune-up. I'd won't be
    switching from the ranger line-up anytime soon, and would highly recommend them.
  • jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 with 79000 miles, and it started a lifter noise at about 64000. It comes and goes, and I have a friend with 130,000 miles on his, and it still makes the same noise.

I wish we could get a better description of the noise, because it sounds to me like there is a Dealer problem rather than a Ford problem. I have had a problem with a 3.0 litre V6, and a 3.8 litre V6, with piston slap in the first couple thousand miles. Ford put another motor in both of them, and I ran them both to 80k with no problems
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 5
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
  • fostervillefosterville Member Posts: 13
    I have the 3.0 V6 FFV and had pings around 2500 miles. It went away when i put in 89 octane. I haven't returned to 87 yet but i'm afraid the ping will sound again. That's all the dealer can recommend for now. I'm also disappointed to find out that these engine doesn't use conventional motor oil and that FFV oil cost $9.00 a qt.
  • stew4stew4 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 98 Ranger (4x4, 4.0,5-speed, ext. cab) in May of 98. This being the third Ranger I have owned, I had certain expectations. My old Ranger (87 4x4,5-sp,ext.cab and 180k miles on it!) would not shake, shimmy, or howl at speeds up to 85 mph. My new truck will howl and vibrate like it has a bad or dry u-joint, or something is afoul in the rear differential at speeds of 75mph and up. Ford doesn't just refuse to fix it, They won't even look for a problem because it is happening at speeds higher than posted speed limits! It seems to me some state speed limits are 75 mph. The only solution the local rep. had was for me to buy a Cobra Mustang...that must be some car at 55mph.
  • chml90lchml90l Member Posts: 1
    97 extended cab with 4.0 5-speed. I blew the #2 Piston @ 48000 miles. Cracked the block in 4 places. Thank God for extended warranty. This makes 4 warranty repairs in a little over 2 years. New engine runs OK but come 75,000 miles, I'm a Toyota man.

Jason C. Lake Charles, LA
  • irish65irish65 Member Posts: 1
    I have 149,000 on my 1993 ext cab and have had no problems with the engine or vibrations ( yes I have done 80-85 mph
    chml, better watch those headgaskets on those Toyota's!
  • andys22andys22 Member Posts: 13
    A ticking or "diesel" noise when engines first start up is NORMAL. Its abnormal when it continues after the engine is warmed up and still ticks or makes a diesel like sound. dont worry if it makes noises while it starts up. Wont hurt the engine in 99.5% of all cases ( unless EXTREME.) our chevy 3.1l with 57k miles ticks like while it starts up, our ford 5.0l with 50k does too. a tip, rislone, or "ATF treatment" will quiet the engine down.
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    Wrote the original problem - review it. This is not a start-up noise. It is only apparent after the engine warms up and (auto) transmission is left in park. My first experience with the noise was at about 5,000 miles after running pretty hard on the freeway for about 160 miles. And, then you'll most likely not hear it unless you are parked against a wall with the passenger window down, at least in my case. It is not a repetitive noise - like a lifter. It is an irregular knocking. If you put the vehicle into gear or even load the engine with the a/c, the noise is almost undetectable. Maybe you think I am a picky female. But, when I finally got the dealership to pay some attention to my "little noise" - the shop foreman and technician came back pretty fast. The engine would not even run proper diagnosis due to the irregular mechanical motion (noise). The engine was eventually rebuilt (the technician thought it was most likely a loose rod) and I promise - the noise was still there, just not as loud (yet).
  • andys22andys22 Member Posts: 13
    hi, i know, i was just reading people saying how their rangers ticked/made noises when it started up.
  • jhockingjhocking Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a new ford ranger and I have a 2,000lb boat to tow. Should I buy the 3.0 or 4.0 L engine??? What is everybodys experience
    with towing and these engines?
  • jackarchitectjackarchitect Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 98' XLT 3.0 V6 5 spd. I have the ticking sound at startup and and during almost all excelerations soft to hard. When I tool it in for service I had mentioned the problem and when I got it back they could not hear it! Anyway I think its the valves and the war with the delear is on full lilt!!!
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    jhocking:

I have a 1998 Ranger 4x4 3.0l 5spd and it does not tow my 2300 lb boat very well, I have to slip the clutch a bit to get it going..sure I know it is right at the towing capacity for the truck, but didn't know I was going to get a boat this early.. I am looking at full size with V8 as it is pretty hilly here in Colo....Couldn't tell you much about the 4.0l but I don't think an extra 40 ft lbs is going to make that much difference when pulling that kind of weight, but hey the auto can tow more than the manual, at least that's what my owners manual states.
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    From my experience - granted at high altitude - you are not making a wise decision with the Ranger. The F-150 even with minimum V-8 power is not that much more expensive and a lot more truck. Would never - ever - consider towing anything with a Ranger, even with the 4.0 (1998 and 5-speed automatic) that I had - for a brief time. We have a boat similar in weight to yours - even if your altitude is minimum with flat land - I really think you are making a mistake with the Ranger. The truck is just not heavy enough and especially the engines are not strong enough, to do this type of towing on a regular basis. (Consider the jack-knife condition as well - your boat will weigh-in too close to the weight of your truck with any extra equipment.) Strongly suggest you buy a little more truck for any type of routine towing.
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    my friend just leased a 99 ranger 4.0 sport package,nice lookind truck but it sounds like a cement truck!......oh well nice try ford but i'll keep driving my tacoma with 190 hp anyday!
  • jeskejeske Member Posts: 1
    99 XLT 4X4 QUAD 5AUTO 4.0

NOTICED MINIMAL KNOCKING AT 8K MILES SLICK 50 FIXED IT. NOW HAVE 11K.

ASLO NOTICE SQUEAK IN REAR OF TRUCK. WD40 ON ALL BUSHINGS AS WELL AS SPRINGS FIXED THAT.

NOW LOOKING FOR NEW CHIP TO FIX THE SHIFT DELAY.
    I AM VERY HARD ON THIS TRUCK (THE 4.0 CAN TAKE IT)
    WHEN I STEP ON IT...IT SHIFT DOWN ONE GEAR (WRONG ONE) THEN DOWN ANOTHER (RIGHT ONE) AND TAKES OFF.
    THIS SHIFT LAG DRIVES ME CRAZY. I NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH MY 94 4.0. THINK ITS THE CHIP FOR THIS 5SPD AUTO. WILL UPDATE WITH WHAT I TURN UP.
  • dannygdannyg Member Posts: 131
    4x4man:

Just curious, does the boat alone weigh 2300lb or is that the boat-and-trailer combination? I ask because my boat-and-trailer combo totals about 2500 lb and I'm thinking of getting a 3.0L Ranger.

Dan
    2300 lbs is approx. dry weight on the trailer that the dealer told me.. The truck doesn't do too bad, but if the trailer doesn't have brakes WATCH OUT!! If someone pulls out if front of you, or you have to stop for a light, it takes some time to get all that weight stopped!! I have four wheel drive and am greatful...for one reason...boat ramps!! I use 4x4 Low to pull the boat out and it rips that sucker right out!! It is a lot easier on the drive train..
    My biggest problem is getting it all going on anything more than a slight incline, have to slip the clutch to get the sucker moving, but after that it does fairly well (I have learned not to use 5th gear on the highway, truck does much better at highway speeds in 4th and still get reasonable gas mileage)...still looking for full size, too many close calls for me and my wife, we WILL have a full size before the start of the boating season next year..

Bob
    my boat trailer doesn't have brakes, and I was almost tempted to put brakes on it until the finacial advisor stated enough is enough and is going to let me have a full size...
    Get electric brakes for the trailer if it doesn't have any, not that pulse actuation crap, when you need to stop, you don't have time for the piston in the tongue of the trailer to compress the fluid to the brakes..get electric and stop NOW!! Or as close to NOW as you can!!!

Bob
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Oh, you mean the NHSTA site?

The one that listed the technical service bulletin and safety RECALL bulletin for Ranger and Tacoma from 89-99?

Oh..heres the stats

89-99 toyota comapct pickup

17 safety recalls
    64 Technical repair recall bulletins

89-99 Ranger stats

80 safety recalls
    290 technical repair recall bulletins

Oh..whats this? the link to the only unbiased automotive source?

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
    Spoog, once again, anyone who reads through these will see that half are for bogus stuff like stickers and decals and lableling. Some are even duplicates at that. Some only pertain to a certain group of Rangers. You need to read man.
  • thewingmanthewingman Member Posts: 1
    I own a '97 Ranger Super Cab w/ 4.0 auto and all the bells and whistles. It just turned 60,000 miles this morning and have had no major problems whatsoever. Just wanted to state that and exclaim that I would buy another one. The truck is fine, the dealers are another story!
  • nurserynursery Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a ford ranger. Just wanted to know if the 4.0 is a good engine or the 3.0?
  • christie7christie7 Member Posts: 5
    Good rule of thumb when purchasing a truck to tow a trailer. The vehicle should weigh as much or more than the trailer being towed. Yes you can tow a 2500 pound boat with a Ranger, but you should NOT be driving very far or very fast with it. If you have to stop quick, you will be in the ditch. Most states require trailer brakes on trailers weighing 2500 pounds or more. This is a GOOD law! Whether it be surge or electric trailer brakes, you NEED brakes! I have seen many vehicles and their trailers in the ditch because they THOUGHT they could pull the boat, or whatever with their little truck or car. It's a matter of physics folks. When you have to slam on those brakes because of something jumped into your path, your vehicle better be equiped to handle it or you may be seriously injured. Spend the extra $$$ and get a vehicle big enough to hand the load you are pulling. Make sure the trailer has brakes if 2500 pounds or heavier. I have pulled many heavy loads and I can't stress this enough!

Happy trucking!
  • rwylie2rwylie2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2000 Ranger XLT. I drove a
    3.0 and a 4.0 automatic. The 3.0 couldn't get out
    of it's own way. How do you 3.0, 5 speed owners
    feel about your trucks?
    I own a 4.0 5spd, my friend has a 3.0 5spd. I have driven his and it seems to move just fine. He has a 3.0 with 3.73 limited slip rearend. He also added a K&N air charger kit which seemed to help the engine reach rpms quicker and breath easier. Also, don't forget the gearing will also make a difference in acceleration. Just an FYI the 3.0 has 150HP and 192ft/lbs of torque.
    My truck runs ok....it is not a sports car performance wise by any stretch, but it makes do...
    I would have to say the power is a bit low driving in the mountains, but around town it does ok. Towing...well, already talked about that a couple of posts ago....If I had the choice to do all over again, I would've went full size in the first place, but hey in a couple of months it won't matter 'cause I'll be driving one!!
    I have a 1998 Ranger XLT 3.0L 5 spd manual
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    While I agree with you about the trailer break comment I think you're a little off base on your tow rig weight comment. No disrespect intended but you can't tell me that full size trucks with 10,000 pound + towing capacities weigh anywhere close to that. I would imagine a Ranger weighs easily over 3000 pounds and its only weak link is its clutch. A 2500 pound trailer with breaks shouldn't be a problem. I believe the clutch and lack of trailer break is the real culprit. Big rigs carry 4 times there weight at 80,000 GVW and have to compensate for stopping distances etc. So should your weekend boat hauler.
    Take care
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    I meant BRAKES
  • christie7christie7 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone further nail down exactly what type of engine noise this puppy is making? Some have said valve noise, others speculate it as piston slap/rod noise. Has anyone been able to isolate exactly what this engine is doing? I haven't been too happy with Ford's engines since they came out with the Triton series. (Whole other horror story) My brother is all hot and steamy about buying a little Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 V6. From the reviews I have read here, it looks like the 4.0 is one to stay away from. Any and all help is appreciated.
  • katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    does it really matter what is causing those engine noises........that would scare me away right away! Gee my v6 tacoma sounds perfect.
    The 4.0 is a fine engine. I am on my second Ranger with the 4.0 engine. My first 4.0 went to 96K miles with NO PROBLEMS. My 1998 Ranger 4.0 now has 20K and I don't have any of these noises people are talking about. Please visit other sites on the internet and see what other Ranger owners are saying.
    The Ranger hasn't stayed Number one for the last 12 years by just luck. The Ranger is a good truck. The Ranger/Mazda are the best value, best all around compact pickup on the market today.
This discussion has been closed.