Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Ford Superduty with Cummins?

dokkopdokkop Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Ford
Will Ford install Cummins Diesels in the 2K
Superdutys?

Comments

• papaunopapauno Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a new 2000 Super Super Duty Extended cab and was wondering when they might be in Dealers Showrooms? Also how much lead time do I need in order to order one.
    Thanks
  • mayfordmayford Member Posts: 19
    I heard it is at least a 4 to 6 months wait on the 2000's. I think they start building them July 25th 1999.
  • prick2prick2 Member Posts: 1
    why would you want a 5.9 cummins in a super duty?FORDS 7.3 WILL OUT PULL THAT CUMMINS ALL DAY IN THE MOUTAINS.ON THE FLATS THEY ARE ABOUT THE SAME.GO BUY A DODGE IF YOU WANT A CUMMINS.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Cuz the cummins are rebuildable for alot less than the $8,000 you spend to do a powerstroke right.....
  • farmermikefarmermike Member Posts: 7
    The cummins might be less to rebuild but the powerstoke will last three times longer so it makes the ps alot cheaper to maintain than the cummins in the long run.
    My 7.3L was about tuckered out at 175K. Cummins probably would have been too with the driving conditions I do. 7,000 ft elevation, lots of stop and go, towing, cold climate.....

Unless you are doing lots of highway long distance driving with very few starts, I think you will only get an extra 50% of life at most buying a diesel vs gas. Sooner or later you gotta sell 'em, rebuild 'em, or junk 'em. The cummins should hold it's value much better for the first two cases.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    farmermike

I've worked for companies with fleets of Powerstrokes, and I know many friends who use them for personal vehicles. My experience is that the Powerstroke does NOT last as long as the Cummins. The Navistar engine has very high tech electric over hydraulic injectors that required replacing on almost every truck the company owned, mostly failed after warranty was over. Most trucks were repaired for no less than a $3000 bill. Many friends who have actaully kept their trucks past 100,000 miles, are starting to believe what i told them years ago, that they would have problems. My advice to all friends is that if the truck is remotely running bad or rough within the warranty, TAKE IT IN.
    The Cummins, on the otherhand, has a very simple AND reliable injector and fuel pump system. Proper maintenance on the the Cummins have yielded many miles of trouble free service.

Also the Cummins is a sleeved engine and the PS is not, making the Cummins much easier to rebuild. The PS basically cannot be rebuilt if worn too much. The Cummins, it doesn't matter.

The Powerstroke problems I've seen have happened regardless of maintenance.
  • mcgouldrickmcgouldrick Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear that the PS is good for only 175k. I'm currently looking for a new truck and was considering a PS. My '88 F250 with 351 has 170k on it and I just returned from vacation with a 32 ft travel trailer in tow. I would not hesitate to turn it around and start again. The truck owes me nothing but I thought about the PS only because I always keep my vehicles and thought the PS would provide extended service. If the PS lasts 175k I'm not gaining anything for the extra $4k to purchase the PS option.
  • jphiljphil Member Posts: 1
    All the PS Ive worked on needed injector o-rings. The heat kills them. The new ISB cummins will probably have the same problems. The cummins is still the better engine because it is not plagued with low oil pressure at idle.
  • davhawdavhaw Member Posts: 3
    We have a ship repair company and turn lots of miles up and down the east coast and gulf coasts
    towing things up to 14,000lbs. We have a tractor and flatbed for the really heavy stuff and a Ford F7000 with a 3208 cat in it. The two smaller trucks which catch the 14,000lbs tows are (1) a 1993 Ford Crew Cab Dulley with a Banks Turbo kit
    7.3 diesel/4:10 Rear. (160,000 miles) and a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins/3:55 Rear. All of our equipment uses Rottela T 15-40w. The cummins will run 6000 miles before the oil starts to turn colors, the ford will run about 2500 miles before the oil is dark dark. Towing; the cummins will pull 10,500 lbs with no problems other than you must start slowly. Once up to speed
    it will roll on at 11mpg/same tow with the ford
    is 10mpg at 60mph. The ford engine is not direct
    injection and unlike the powerstokes relies on hp
    in the upper rpm range and not torque. The PS max torque is at 2200rpm or 68mph with 4:10 in OD.
    Thats why they tow so good on the highway. Max torque on the 7.3 with the banks is about 510ft/lbs at 1500-1600 rpms. Both of our trucks are automatics and we don't tow anything over 7000lbs in Overdrive. The Cummins will run about 64 mph with the tow and the ford about 65 with
    800 degree exhasut temp and 6 lbs of boost. Anyway
    the Cummins in my opinion is solid motor, easy to rebuild, 1/2 the moving parts of the 7.3 diesel and gets 22mpg at 75mph on the road running light.
    The ford which is mine, has never not been able to do anything we asked of it. It does not get the fuel mileage the cummins does for several reasons, rear ratio, cooling fan engagement in hot weather in high rpms, and more parts to feed.
    Injection pump calibration is important with the ford and should be done at least every 100,000 miles. Neither engine uses more than 1 quart between changes. The powerstroke will also get 20+
    mpg with a 355 rear in a single rear wheel crew cab. Its my opinion that worked under load both engines will last far longer than one which never works.
  • theodore3theodore3 Member Posts: 1
    I think the PS and the ISB are both quality
    engines but whoever puts a Caterpillar in
    there truck first wins.The ISB would be better
    in a ford rather than a dodge,because fords frame
    is heavier,they have heavier drivetrains,and have
    a CREWCAB!!!!!!!!! I drive a truck OTR and I have
    a N14 Cummins which ISB is based on,the truck has
    got 650,000 miles on it and it is a good engine.
    The only problems if had has been with the 7
    injectors my company has put in it and the CPU
    problems cummins is plagued with. I think Ford
    should look really hard at CAT POWER before Cummins.

i
  • twins395twins395 Member Posts: 1
    Ford has a winning streak as to styling, the addition of some sort of CAT power would certainly make me jump on the bandwagon. The international is scary, remebering the 6.9 version. How bout a crew cab super cab?
  • geomiklasgeomiklas Member Posts: 1
    I am a true-blue Ford Van, 300 I-6 man. I am really sick over Ford's discontinuance of the 300 CID engine and will probably look into diesels next.

I really don't like the front-end and cab design of the Dodge van, so...... hey Chrysler, when are you going to redesign your van and put the Cummins in it and a straight front axle ?
  • mbachtel1mbachtel1 Member Posts: 1
    your responses to the ford vs dodge are really helpful. but i want a diesal to tow a 24 foot trailer and will not put on over 100000 miles for the rest of my life. I like the quiet ford best but is that my best choice.??
  • mikey18mikey18 Member Posts: 1
    Well I plan on purchasing a 3/4 ton in the near future. Recently I went to both Dodge and Ford dealerships and found out that the Ford diesel motor had a 100,000mi warranty, Cummins was 3/36,000mi.. I'm leaning towards the Cummins hopefully I won't need the extra coverage..Mikey18
  • grubbygrubby Member Posts: 10
    Ford is testing now with a cummins in the Excursion, will know about Dec. if they will use it. It is a v-eight with some alum. parts lighter than Navstar.
  • psubongpsubong Member Posts: 9
    The warranty on Dodge trucks is 3yr/36000 miles but the warranty on the Cummins Diesel is extended to 100,000 miles. I had a 97 Ram 2500 with 70,000 miles and had absolutely no problems until someone stole it last week. Secure your trucks!!!
  • coloradocowboycoloradocowboy Member Posts: 6
    I too am looking at both the Ford F350 Dually with a 7.3 Powerstroke and the Dodge Ram 3500 Dually with a 5.9 Cummins. Overall, my impression is that the Cummins is likely to cost me less over the expected life of 250K miles I plan to own it, however, I have heard of automatic transmission problems with the Dodge Ram equipped with the Cummins. I have also heard of some quality problems with the Dodge interiors and suspensions.
    I know its going to be hard to get a consistent opinion, but I would like to hear some durability experiences from both Ford and Dodge owners, both on the diesel and the automatic tranny, as well as overall quality.

Appreciate any feedback.
    Quick review on the new 6 speed manual - seems like the way to go in the diesel. Don't use 1st unless heavyly loaded. Tranny is way beefier than the 5 speed or the auto.
    I've said it before, I ran the 7.3 for 10 yrs and 170,000 and would buy the cummins if I ever buy a diesel again.
  • psubongpsubong Member Posts: 9
    The steering wheel on my 97 Ram 2500 developed some severe worn spots. At 65000 miles the radiator developed a small leak and the power steering pump also leaked. The fuel gauge sender unit failed at 40000 miles. The drivers seat developed some cracks in the vinyl. All repairs except the seat (I didn't pursue a repair) were covered under the extended warranty I had purchased for $1,200.00. Otherwise I would have been out of luck. The transmission was still good after two seasons of pushing snow. The Cummins always started quickly and performed well. Someone stole it and I will replace it with another Dodge/Cummins.
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    I read on another web sight that Ford is currently experimenting with a new Cummings V-8 Diesel. Has anyone else heard such?
  • coloradocowboycoloradocowboy Member Posts: 6
    I have read some info on the new Ford Superduties, the F-650 and F-750. These are much heftier trucks than the current line. They are due out during the 2000 model year. Engines include Cummins, Cat, and the 7.3 Powerstroke. Horsepower ranges up to 300 on the Cat. The writer highly recommended the 300 HP Cat. That's all I have heard about the Cummins in the Ford line. Hope this helps. The article I read was in Western Horseman, Sept. or Aug. issue.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I saw a picture of the F-650. It's a mid-size truck that looks more like a mini-semi than a Superduty. A few months back, Trailer Life Magazine had an article about the emerging market of heavier duty tow vehicles for towing the 15,000+ pound fifth wheel trailers. It had pictures and some info on numerous rigs, including offerings from several semi-manufacturers such as Freightliner.

Invader,

Regardless of which truck you choose, you will exceed the weight restrictions of any 1 ton with a 14,000 pound trailer. I'm pretty sure the Ford has the highest tow rating. The GCWR (max weight of truck and trailer) is 20,000. The new Superduty 1 tons weigh in the 7,000 pound range. The tow limit for conventional trailers is 10,000. The max tow limit for a fifth wheel trailer is 13,500 and I believe that is with the V-10 and 4.30 axle ratio.

It's not that a 1 ton won't do the job, but you will be overweight. The F-450 and F-550 Superduty have GCWRs up to 30,000 pounds. Those two trucks come in a chassis cab without a truck bed. They also have lower axle ratios. I think the tallest gear you can get is a 4.56 or 4.88. Obviously, they will drive more like a truck. With the lower axle ratios, hwy mpg will also be reduced.

You can get aftermarket truck beds and air-ride suspensions to make the truck look and drive similar to a 1 ton. Of course, they cost money. A company in Louisville called Fontaine offers steel bed with fiberglass panels for about $4,000. The bed has a lower profile to accomodate fifth wheel towing. I believe they offer the air-ride suspension for about another $3,000. I saw a Ford F-550, fully outfitted with the Fontaine Package, with a MSRP of about $55,000.

Your ability to maintain minimum speeds of 50mph in the mountains will depend on the grade and how much you are willing to accelerate to get a run on the hill. Your total rig weight will likely exceed 20,000 pounds. 50mph on an extended 7% or so grade might be tough. With a rig that size, you might also consider some kind of exhaust brake for the downside of those mountains. Diesels aren't nearly as effective as gas engines when it comes to engine braking to maintain comfortable speeds on extended, steep declines.
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    What kind of milage do you get with the 2000 ford diesel? I just ordered a 250 Super Duty with a V10 but my neighbor wants a diesel. He tows a 20-25 foot regular travel trailer and says he will save money in the long run with the deisel over the V10. He maybe takes that trailer for family vacations a total of 3000 miles a year...sometimes up to 6000 miles a year. He has a 92 150 now with a 302 and it pulls it pretty well for his needs. I know I read in Trailer Life magazine that he would have to pull that trailer around 186,000 miles before he would come out ahead cost wise vs. the V10. Hell, at 6000 miles a year that is 31 years of pulling that trailer. Oh well...he has a thick head!!! Can you all give him some advice for me since you all seem to know what you are talkin' about. Thanks.
    Crazyelvis
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    crazyelvis,
    If you're trying to use operating costs to justify a diesel, forget it and buy the V-10. You'll be a lot happier.

On my two previous Ford diesel pick ups I've put almost a quarter of a million miles. My '99 SD is my third diesel. I can say that once that you get used to the driving characteristics of a diesel you'll never buy a gasoline engine again.

A diesel is a low maintenance (But higher cost) engine. Oil changes are 14-16 quarts depending upon which part of the '99 series of 7.3L Navistar. The oil filter is $10-13. The fuel filter (every 15k miles) is between $14 and $50. That's it for 100-200K miles. Fuel is usually between unleaded regular and premium. (Today in Los Angeles $1.37 and regular gas was as low as $1.29)

Fuel mileage is much better than the V-10. A few weeks ago between Huntington Beach and Reno I got 19 MPG. I used the cruise control almost all the way and ran from the speed limit to about 8 above. On other trips to Las Vegas and running at or close to the speed governor (85-90 MPH) the mileage drops down to mid 16s. The people that I know with V-10s would kill for 16 MPG. Commuting mileage is usually in the low to mid 17s. (The morning is typically 20 miles at 60 MPH but evening averages about 35 MPH.)

Rich
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    I believe everything Rich says about the diesel but the fact remains that unless you're going to be putting alot of miles on a truck the diesel is too much money to make up. Rich, in your experience has the injectors been as big a problem as some of the posts suggest(thousands of dollars after 100,000 miles)? That is also a factor to consider. Take it easy
  • valkownervalkowner Member Posts: 1
    Ordering a 2000 F350 and the only thing holding me up is weather or not to get the push button 4wheel drive or not. Also does anyone know about Ford possibly putting a cummins in the next 24 months or so???
  • jseeberjseeber Member Posts: 2
    Any idea on Cat Powered E-350's? How about higher weight capicity vans (E-450, etc.)
  • jseeberjseeber Member Posts: 2
    Any idea on Cat Powered E-350's? How about higher weight capicity vans (E-450, etc.)
  • sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
    Grubby, There is also another engine manufacturer that Ford is talking to about a new diesel engine for the SUVs and trucks. Cannot tell you anymore than that.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    It's my understanding that when Ford renewed their contract with Navistar last year for the Powerstroke, they also contracted them to design a smaller diesel for some of their smaller trucks like the Explorer. If that's the case, it will be the same company designing the smaller diesel that also designs the Powerstroke.

Ford has used the Cummins in some of their bigger trucks in the past, and I believe they plan to continue that trend. I think the F-650 will have a Cummins option. There is likely a contractual relationship issue between Cummins and Dodge that would prohibit Cummins from supplying a diesel for use in the Superduty (F-250-F550) line. That's just a guess, but it makes sense.
  • fordtough1fordtough1 Member Posts: 14
    I believe that the injectors on the powerstrokes are made by Cat, so ford may have some connections with cat
  • norm10norm10 Member Posts: 9
    For the comparison of the Navistar 7.3 and Cummins ISB 5.9 diesel engines why not try injecting LPG (propane) into the diesel fuel supply line just before the injector pump? Both engines really come to life when this is done. The harmful exhaust emissions are reduced by about 50%, fuel mileage increases and so does the power. Both engines really begin to show their true potential when this is done. Contact ATS Turbo-Systems in Murra, Utah if you want more info. We just did this using ATS components with two '96 Power Strokes and gained a full gear driving I-80 over the Sierras pulling 15,000 lb livestock trailers. It's amazing!
  • tgr2tgr2 Member Posts: 1
    When is Dodge going to introduce an updated version of the RAM?
  • klrwudklrwud Member Posts: 1
    How can I check on my order of a 2000 F250 Super Duty, without going through the dealership?
  • cjruppcjrupp Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 00 sc, psd 4X4, and am thinking about changing to the V10. I tow 7500lbs 4000 miles a year. The price difference, along with reliability in cold weather are tempting me. Any experience with the reliability and performance of the V10?
  • scott1785scott1785 Member Posts: 6
    I am seriously considering a new F250 SD and was initially interested in the diesel strictly for the gas mileage and overall lower cost of ownership over the long run. Deep down I want to justify the cost of the diesel 'cause I've never owned a vehicle with that kind of torque. I commute 60 miles/day and occasionally tow a 5000 boat, but am concerned about the following:

(1) I've read multiple posts stating that injectors eventually need to be replaced -- and that they run $800-$900 apiece. If the injectors are $800+ (and I'm assuming there are eight on a PS), that's upwards of $6,400 for a full replacement, right? I am getting the impression that replacing injectors at 200k is not that unreasonable. I've got nearly 200k on my Jeep Cherokee and recently had to replace 3 or 6 injectors -- but it only cost me $400. For $6400, I could buy a brand new engine. Are diesels really more economical in the long run?

(2) What's the likelihood of the turbo going out on the PS -- and what might that likely cost to replace/repair?

(3) I am getting the impression that the Cummins 24V is by far the favorite among those in this forum. Is the engine really superior to the PS or do people prefer it because of the Cummins name (and perhaps because of its simplicity)?

(4) Should I wait until Ford comes out with a better diesel? I think I am getting cold feet. On the one hand, I'm willing to fork over an add'l $4k if it is expected to yield me better service AND at least make sense economically in the long run. Those repairs scare me to death.

(5) If the F250 SD came with the Cummins, I'd buy it tomorrow. In an objective side-by-side comparison, how would the PS stack up against the Cummins (and I'm NOT talking strictly torque & hp)? What makes the Cummins better?
    -Scott
    these questions have been beaten to death on these posts but what the heck, what's one more time. The break even points on the two motors vary from a conservative 80,000 miles(which was my simplistic formula of the diesel getting double the fuel economy, which is a stretch, and assuming unleaded regular and diesel were the same price)to close to 200,000 miles when all the oil changes, filters etc. were added up.
    Even though it's generally thought the Powerstroke out performs the Cummins in their pickup truck state of tune(That's a whole 'nother debate) it's also said the Cummins is much easier to rebuild ie: replaceable cylinder linings etc.
    Have you driven both gas and diesel? Even though it has been commented that these trucks are not drag racers I personally can't take the sluggishness of the diesel off the line. You obviously might have a different opinion. And while some consider diesel noise a symphony it drives me nuts.
    I think as a pure work truck being driven 50-100,000 miles a year it's hard to beat a diesel. But for a 15,000 mile a year personal use vehicle....... I'm pretty sure I'm getting the V10.
    Take care
  • scott1785scott1785 Member Posts: 6
    lvstang(sorry I didn't get your name), Thank you for your response with regards to PS vs Cummins. I know the diesel breakeven discussion has been beaten to death -- my real concern pertains to specific maintenance expected at say 200k miles down the road. I have a pretty good idea about what to expect mileage wise, the breakeven analysis bit, and the fact that scheduled oil changes might be a shocker for a traditional gas engine owner (i.e., 14 qts at a time). What I am less comfortable about is the $800-$900 per injector, possible turbo replacements, etc. It sounds like a person could likely face a $10,000 engine repair and that doesn't make sense to me. Am I off base?
    -Scott
  • johnrr1johnrr1 Member Posts: 70
    is this true of the price for injectors for the power stroke ? thats insane , i think thats the cost for a set for a cummins , i finally saw the engine compartment of an f350 with the PSD at the auto show this week , i couldn't even see the engine ,looks like a maintainance nitemare to me .

as far as making up the cost , i myself am not to concerned ,i put at least 25k a year on my truck , people will point out the larger amount of oil per change but what they forget to mention is that its a 2 oil change on the gas engine to 1 change of the diesel , in the case of a cummins its 11 qts. so thats about the same amount of oil and only one filter vs. 2 on a gas , and depending on the type of oil used its not a whole lot more , there is the fuel filter change , but thats not a big deal , goes with the territory ... i'm buying it mostly for the longevity and the supposed fuel economy over my present 360 v8 , plus the towing power for the few time i haul my 69 superbee to carlisle ...

i have a 98 dodge with a 360 and put about 25k per year on it , i have had this one for 18 months and have racked up 44k miles already , i ordered a 2000 2500 cummins yesterday , should have bought it in the first place ...
  • gwmooregwmoore Member Posts: 230
    I was trying to stay out, but I can't.

First of all, I would say the diesel is easier to live with. Especially the Cummins. I don't like the sounds of the potential injector problems on the Powerstroke, so I'm referring specifically to the Cummins. Nothing is easier to live with than the great mileage, super dependability, peace of mind that you can take that engine up anything towing anything and not feel like you are working the engine too hard. Someone else had the point that a gas engine struggling at over 3500 RPM makes a more disturbing sound than a diesel purring up a hill.

Sorry, I don't care how loud they are outside, it is very pleasant inside the cockpit of a Ram/Cummins.

Finally, the cummins I drive has plenty of accelleration off-the-line to beat most people at a signal if I really want to drive in that kind of uncomfortable way, but once again, that's not what a 3/4-ton or 1-ton was made for. Regardless, I can't imagine that you would be annoyed with sluggishness in a Cummins. Seems like the Powerstrokes I have seen can take off pretty fast at stop lights also.
    Why were you trying to stay out? Your opinions are just as real and important as anyone else. I think it's the way we state our opinions that gets these topics heated. Hasn't happened here.
    All I've said is based on write ups the PS is quicker than the Cummins and when I drove the Ford V10 and the PS the PS felt mushy to me. I actually owned a '85 Thunderbird Turbo that felt the same way. Just seemed to take a little bit of time to spool up. The great gas mileage can't be argued but at what cost is the main topic here. I think everyone agrees there is a break even point after the extra cost of the diesel, the debate is when. I also think we agree on you should buy what you like. You like the diesel, me it's the gas. People should test drive them both and make up their minds that way.
    Take care.
    Don't worry, I'm not worked up or heated. You make some of the better points and have good info to share about the gas vs diesel bit. I have a heck of a lotta fun here. It's just that sometimes I get tired of saying essentially the same things. It's just when someone asks for advice or opinions, I feel like I should respond if I have much to share, but at the same time, I get tired of talking about the same things. Even if it is such a great subject.

I also agree you should get what you want. By the way, I do like many gas engines, too. I especially like the GM 350s, 5.3L and 6.0L. I have the Dodge 5.2L, and although it has been powerful and dependable, it gets poor mileage compared to the GM power. And there's something that keeps drawing me to the torque, efficiency (as I've said, mainly for range), and feel of the Cummins (like the '97 Cummins I also drive). I see no drawbacks to the diesel in my life (other than whether or not I can afford the initial investment).

I've been leaning toward the Sierra 2500 with the 6.0L & 4 doors, but found out yesterday that it is not likely that I could get one until June, so I might spend more money that I don't have for the Ram/Cummins. I'm kinda resigned that I will probably wait until the new year to see what auto tranny is offered on the new Cummins ETH and/or if I can get a Sierra 2500 6.0 with 4 doors. But who knows, I've gotten to that point of no return that anytime I get near a dealer, I might jump in. Only problem is I'm currently helping my wife look for a 4Runner or Durango (she's the boss).
    At any rate, I kinda lost the subject of this forum, "2000 Ford Superduty with Cummins". My opinion: If you like the Cummins and don't need the Crew Cab, Get the Quad Cab Ram and the engine you want. The Ram and Superduty Quab trucks are pretty darn comparable (besides, you can actually fit a slide in camper on the Ram without making a platform in the bed). If you need the Crew cab, well, you don't have a choice right now, go Superduty/Powerstroke. But if you want gas and no crew cab, I don't see where the V-10s (or any other gas engine) from Ford or Dodge are up to the snuff of the GM 6.0 L (considering ALL of the following: economy, dependability, maintenance, power, and torque).

Oh, by the way, I've been noticing that about 3/4 of the construction trucks around here are either Cummins or Powerstroke. Construction companies would not fit the long driving model that so many people think diesels are only good for. Those construction guys tend to do lots of short runs from the lumber yard to the construction site. I haven't heard of any diesel problems directly related to the short range driving with people like construction workers. I'ld like to hear if anyone else has.
    I didn't realize we drifted so far off the topic. I tend just to look at the latest posts and then log on. Please check out the new Ford V10. 310 hp 430 lbs of torque. Lasts years Cummins only had 440 lbs of torque with the automatic. The only thing I can't debate is the economy vs. the G.M. 6.0l. The Super Duty is such a beefy truck compared to the G.M. Will be interested to see the G.M. H.D. line. O.K. I'm done posting non pertinent info on the wrong topics.
    I was just kiddin' about the focus thing (more to myself than anyone else).

About the Ford w/ V-10. I don't think I really want a crew cab (a little too long with a long bed, which I do want), but would ideally like a full backseat like the new Sierra club cabs. Not interested in a V-10, Ford or Dodge. My current preference goes like this: 1) Cummins 2)GM 6.0L (although I might move this to #1 if I could actually get one) 3) Keep current truck and wait to see the new year and new offerings. My current 5.3 liter Dodge gets bad enough mileage (although 17 mpg isn't bad, historically, for pickups), don't want a guzzling V-10. I've been hearing up to and over 17 mpg for the GM 6.0L , so it wouldn't be bad. Still would rather have the Cummins. I'm not really interested in the Superduty though, due to engine lineup, backseat no bigger than Ram Quad, excessive cab height (awkward for camper/garage/etc.).

I can't wait to see the 2002 or 2003 model year trucks when Dodge and GM will have new trucks, and GM will have Duramax competing with (and probably forcing improvements) the Ford and Dodge diesels. I'll bet the Ford and Dodge diesels will keep ahead of the Duramax. I think all three will be making incredible trucks in two to three years, though. Only problem will be affording them. I've never been good at buying anything stripped down, always find a reason to justify the best engine and other perks. Oh yeah, hopefully the manufacturers will make enough that we can actually buy them.
    I think you're right about the next batch of trucks being more of a good thing. Since I usually lease my trucks I thought by getting the Super Duty I'd break that cycle and try to "own" something out right. Figured the heaviest duty truck would last 8-10 years. But now you got me thinking I should do my normal 2-3 year lease and see what's available then. My trucks have been my 2nd vehicle so I try to get something that will tow, off road and be a decent all around vehicle. Since my '69 Bronco is nearing completion(three long years)I could get a no compromise H/D truck. I did buy my '97 Cobra but plan on giving that to my son in three years on his 16th B-day. I also liked the 6.0l G.M.C. but unlike your needs I want a crew cab. Like you said the next few years should be interesting.
  • bdhillyerbdhillyer Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchase of the superduty w/ diesel. Anybody have any negative feedback?
    Hey, I had a '73 Bronco. I'd like to hear what you have. I still wish I had mine, still the best looking 4x4 ever built. Man, I never had the top on that thing. I fixed it up a little, but never had enough money to really polish it up into a cherry. Used it well though, took it on the Rubicon trail with my brother and his tricked-out CJ-5 (pretty funny, I ended up with four people in the Bronco while he had none in his 'cause my suspension was so much more comfortable). Finally had to get rid of it and get something more practical after two years of college away from home with no tools, etc. Practicallity really sucks.

How have the leases worked for you on your pickups? Restrictions on off-road use, tires, canopies, etc.? My wife and I are looking for a couple new vehicles, but I think I'm resigned to the fact that I will have to buy mine due to the type of use.
    If you read back on this forum, you'll hear the most opinions on the superduty/powerstroke I've found. Superduty a very good truck, only drawback I've heard of is you need to use a platform in the bed for most slide-in campers due to the hight of the cab. The Powerstroke is an excellent engine, but from the previous posts, you might want to sell the truck before you go too far over 100,000 miles and start encountering injector problems (although they may have fixed this on the new ones?). Most people I've talked to really like the engine though (great power and efficiency) I'm not an expert, just relaying what I've heard.
This discussion has been closed.