Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew: Suggestions for Subaru

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Steve: you can now get the H6 with cloth, it's not quite a base model but it is priced lower than the H4 Limited.

AWP was standard for a while, too, until they introduced that new Sound Package. But my guess is most of those will be ordered in warm climates.

-juice
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I would say in that instance juice that Subaru got it [non-permissible content removed] backwards, it is far easier to add aftermarket sound packages than it would be to add an AWP.

So if the choice would be sound package or AWP, the AWP should be way ahead.

Cheers Pat.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I would like to see a 5MT, or better yet a 6MT offered on the H6 Outback Wagon. Definitely make the AWP standard across the board on all Subarus - you could market it alongside the standard AWD.

Offer the MT on the Forester XT. It's the perfect vehicle for a stick!

I like Juice's idea of a bigger Baja- however I think just offer one size, not two. The Baja also needs a bigger payload, with a locking tonneau cover.

Lastly, bring over the B11S! I love the hatchback capability of the design, as well as the front grill. I think it lends character to the car, and makes it memorable.

Mark
    Do people in Florida want the AWP, though? Or SoCal or Arizona, where they don't even get much rain?

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Heated seats are good for lower back and upper thigh (read: butt) pain. I've used them in my car in the Carolinas. North Florida gets cold enough to use them, too.

Ed
    It would be much easier to make AWP standard across the board, if you do not want to use it leave it off. As I said in a previous post the number of Subaru sold in the so called balmy states would negligible anyways.

And like Ed so aptly pointed out the heated seats are useful from a theraputic point of view.

Cheers Pat.
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I agree with the options of sunroof and leather as I've never cared for either one ...
    I also LIKE the cladding on my outback
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    6spd MT for an H6 OBW. That way I could tow it behind my motot home.

MNSteve
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    At 6 in the morning, when driving to the starting point for the day's bike ride, I often use the heated seat for comfort when wearing bike shorts and short sleeve jerseys. I will say that there's little use for this "pleasure" a few hours later!
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    Heck yeah, all 3 of us FL Subie owners want AWP...I would have gotten it on my wagon; I don't plan on being here in FL forever
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I would like to see a heated steering wheel (like what the BMW X-5 has) added to the AWP. ;)

Bob
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Would be a beautiful thing for those of us with a touch of arthritis in their hands.

Len
    Good point! I hadn't thought about that.

Bob (speaking as a member AARP)
    a heated steering wheel?????
    I hadn't considered that one .. what a luxury when the temps are soooooo low ... oooooo ooooooo ... I WANT one!
    (and just for the record I'm still a little way from AARP eligibility!)
    LOL. my point exactly, there are so few Subarus in the sunshine states, making The AWP standard across the board would not amount to a hill of beans anyway.

Cheers Pat.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Bob,

I don't see a problem with a heated steering wheel being a standalone option or even part of an AWP.

-Colin
  • toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Yes, OH, yes. When I'm off to the ski slopes on cold mornings the seat heater is on "high." A heated steering wheel would mean I could take my gloves off sooner. The eyebrow outlets have been used to direct heat at the steering wheel until it gets warmer. Geeze, even some snowmobile models have heated hand grips.

It's 60+ with a clear sky today. The snow is rapidly disappearing.

MNSteve
    My mistake. I thought you didn't care for the feature, or thought it was superfluous.

Bob
    I experienced a heated steering wheel for the first time on a BMW X-5, at a BMW event I was invited to last year. BMW even offers this feature on their motorcycles, for cold weather riding.

Like heated seats, it's really nice. :)

Bob
  • ghostwheelghostwheel Member Posts: 3
    Not that my next car will be a sedan, but a feature I would like to see in all Subaru sedans is a 60/40 split folding rear seatback. Most competitors offer some type of folding rear seat.

The heated steering wheel sounds like a winner!
    I meant to say BMW offers heated "hand grips" on their motorcycles, not a heated "steering wheel!" Oh well, you win some, you lose some...

Bob
    Bob--

Well, I kind of do think it's superfluous but as an option sure. I think heated side mirrors would be far more useful, but can see all of it as a pretty nice cold-weather package.

-Colin
    My AWP include heated side mirrors ... don't they all?
    AWP=heated seats, heated mirrors,bottom of windshield heated to stop wipers freezing.

Cheers Pat.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    On my '01 Forester S, the AWP also included the rear LSD, and the all-important "fin" on the driver's side windshield wiper, according to the brouchure.

Len
    I think all new Subarus that have the AWP, also have the LSD standard. In the past, the LSD was a part of the AWP. Confused? So am I, :)

Bob
    So am I, I will never figure out the reasoning behind different models entirely between Canada and the US we are all part of the same continent for Gods sake.

In the US the L SE is essentially what was origionally our GT, the L SE that we get is just a dressed up L model with body coloured mirrors, side mouldings, the old GT rims and a couple of other trim items no moonroofs like the L SE in the states.

IF we want a GT wagon now we have to take the top of the line with leather and all the rest of it, in the sedan you can choose the standard GT with cloth, basically what was offered in 2002, but then if you want the leather and all the other good bits you can get a sedan with a premium package.

Here we get the AWP in just about all models I think the impreza Ts is the only model that does not get it.

Maybe I am naive but I think it would be less of a marketing hassle to have the same product lineup right across Canada and the US.

Cheers Pat.
    I wasn't asking what MINE came with ... I KNEW what it came with and why I wanted it ... I just saw someone saying heated mirrors were better than a heated steering wheel and it sounded as if they didn't think the heated mirrors CAME with the AWP as is ...
    (that's all) .. lol
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Having a senior moment are we? 8~)

(From one AARP member to another.)

Jim
    HEY!! *I* have 'senior' moments and I'm not quite yet AARP .... lol
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Corkfish,

According to the Canadian Subaru web site, the 2.5XT Forester will have the same clearance as all other models (it is also about 100lbs heavier at ~3200lbs).

And that's fine with me - any less clearance, get the WRX wagon. In fact, I like the idea of making taller springs with 1.5" to 2" additional height an option, as well as lower gearing. Also, change the wheel wells so slightly larger and wider tires (235?) +chains will fit without rubbing.

But those things pale in comparison to having leather and monroof available as separate options throughout (including manual transmission models).

They also should immediately start to offer a lighter color (light grey?) for the XT inerior, for those of us who experience strong sunshine and high temps. More choices of light exterior colors (e.g., light metallic green etc.) would also come in handy.

And unpainted lower body cladding - perhaps in silver or grey for some of the lighter exterior colors rather than black.

- D
    Brenda,

I didn't mean to confuse, I was just comparing the two features and my impression of which one I'd get the most function out of. Both are nice. ;-)

-Colin
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    the Moonroof and leather would cost a lot of money. I say keep em bundled just for the sake of cost cutting. But they should be an option on the MT model.

-mike
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    1) Side impact airbags across the board
    2) Four wheel discs with ABS standard across the board.
    3) All Weather Package on all models.

The first two sell safety and control of the vehicle. That translates to additional peace of mind which should be an easy sell.

The last is a creature comfort item. Even if you live in a warm weather climate, the therapeutic value in heated seats, and the heated mirrors, iirc, also help increase visibility in misty conditions.

In the Forester line, make the Red available as an XS without the sunroof. While you're at it, give it a nice silver interior. :)

- Lou, lookin like a fat leprechaun hobbit today!
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I love moonroofs, but will not own a car with leather. In Canada, the leather and moonroof were "coupled" in 2001 which is why I had an after market roof installed in Rufus. BTW, I would also like to see a new Justy sized Soobie introduced, but I realize it just won't happen.

Ross
    My bad on the AWP, make it standard if even our Florida contingent want it!

My AWP is a pair of gloves and a hat. :-)

One thing we asked for on the 2003 Forester and did not get was the rear multilink suspension design from the Legacy. I'll ask for it again for packaging reasons. The wheel wells intrude much less on the Legacy, leave a wider cargo area, and allow for more leg room. It's probably the one thing overlooked on the 2003s that could have improved the vehicle dramatically.

-juice
    give better ground clearance. There are less items hanging low, and better overall clearance. If you look under your Forester and your Legacy, I think you'll agree.

Bob
    That's true, but...the rear multilink allows for bigger tires.

Right now the limitation is the rear spring base, at least on stock Foresters. They could go to 225/60R16 but not any bigger at all.

Also, the suspension is shared with the WRX, where clearance is not an issue.

-juice
    Is that due to the struts, or other space limitations, such as wheel well design, etc.? Could different wheels allow for larger tires?

Bob
    Slightly, Bob.

I got wheels with an offset that basically pushed the tires out about half an inch. The strut base is angled upwards as it approaches the tires, so yes, that wheel allows for more room.

I went 225/60R16 and it's still close. I could do 235/60R16 but the front mud flap would probably rub slightly.

But the stock Forester rim's offset is already the Subie that puts the tires the farthest outward, so we're not going to see Subaru change offsets much.

Look at the Legacy, you can get any tire from small to large in diameter. The Outback's tires are 1.7" bigger in diameter vs. the GT. Taller springs allow even more leeway.

Basically the multilink suspension is compact inside and gets out of the way of the wheels/tires, with the trade-off you noted about the underside not being quite as uniformly level.

-juice
    I suppose I thought we were adding TO the AWP, not 'trading' things
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    JDM Legacy and OB wagons get 60/40 split seat cushions as well as seat backs. We only get the bench cushion. This allows one side to be folded fully, but still lets an occupant use one side of the back seat. Had this on my Camry wagon and used it many times.

Steve
    I also had this on my Accord wagon and it was a lot more useful than the one piece cushion we get on Subaru,s, so here is one more suggestion for useful content.

Cheers Pat.
    I would like to see the rear headrests retract into the seat, when folded.

Bob
    It seems to be the trend these days to put a door or panel over the radio and climate control of many luxury cars these days. I've seen it on Lincolns and others. This is pure stupidity, IMO.

Please Subaru, resist this temptation.

Bob
    Please make this an "option" on future Subies, and not standard on to-of-the-line models!

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    In the nice to have category (more so if you're vertically challenged).

-Frank P.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    The domestics and Toyota provide a true tilting steering wheel (pivot point is above the dash board). What Subaru (and Honda) give us is what I would call an 'adjustable height steering column' (pivot point is near firewall level). The tilting wheel has a much greater range of motion, and moves out of the way for easy entry and exit. And the actuator mechanism works better.

Steve
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should go back to the Tilt, telescopic, memory wheels they had in the early 90s on Legacies and the SVX. They released for easy in and out, but retained their "memory" position. They were also telescopic.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.