Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Navigation GPS Systems

Comments

• Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Actually, I have bought items over the internet, but only from reputable dealers. Look for a vendor that has a good bizrate rating (kind of the internets BBB). Like anything else, you have to be careful. Radio Shack is great for accessories, batteries, Directv, stuff like that, but in my opinion for a GPS system you should look around; especially since they do not offer most models.
  • Options
    pegleggerpeglegger Member Posts: 40
    I would recommend GPS Outfitters as a place for reference if you go with the Garmin iQue 3600. I love my unit, but I have to admit that I stumbled through map installation, etc. GPS Outfitters sells a tutorial CD-Rom that would have really helped me up-front, but I still have found a lot of value in it. gpsoutfitters.com is there website.

I love the portability, the size, and the convenience of having all my Palm stuff in the same unit (plus you can link your existing contacts to their map locations!). It's awesome. You will have to buy additional stuff to make it really work (memory, for sure....512 MB SD card for about $140 or so; travel kit for about $80, etc.)

MP3 not sure about yet...I'll probably just use a stand-alone MP3 versus tying up this unit with music (which would probably justify another SD card).

Just my two cents....
  • Options
    swingerjayswingerjay Member Posts: 22
    I have learned from responses that the Honda Accord nav system will simply follow, showing vehicle location and direction.

I was assured that the Toyota Camry will also.

The system on Lexus cars will also do this.

I think there is a very good chance that all of them will operate without forcing you to accept "guidance." My quest is over.
  • Options
    mushroommushroom Member Posts: 6
    Because I know little about GPS nav systems, I need some advice. Here is what I need:

*Simplicity: not so many little buttons, I don't want to spend alot of time learning the thing.

*Something with few bugs.

*Accuracy: Closest approximation of your exact location as possible. I don't know if they differ on this...

*Not handheld, and screen big enough to easily read whatever's on it.

The ones that come with new cars are nice, just how they are built-in. I'd prefer to have one built-in, but if there is a good one that I can buy separately, that's fine too. Does anyone know the name of the manufacturers for car makers? Like GM, Mercedes, or any company you know of. Either that or does anyone know where to find this info besides bugging the salesmen about it when i don't intend to buy their car?

I don't care about price.

I hope some of you can help me out. Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    I am your GPS expert. You have many great options because price is not an option.

Auto Handheld: Garmin iQue3600
    Sports Handheld: Magellan SporTrak

Since you have requested no handheld, I suggest:

Magellan Roadmate 700 - $1200
    (works outta the box, all NA)
    Magellan Roadmate 500 - $900
    (you have to download)

Garmin StreetPilot 2620 - $1500
    (works outta the box, all NA)
    Garmin StreetPilot 2610 - $1100
    (have to download)

Both have turn-by-turn voice guided directions, and a full database of restaurants, landmarks, and personal saved waypoints.

Basically it will all come down to which form factor, screen, control, brand use prefer. I like the Magellan form factor and control better but prefer the Garmin software and brand. Your choice. If money really isnt an option I suggest you purchase both, for trial and error to see which unit best suits your needs. Any other questions? oh yeah RadioShack has them all.

Oh yeah and I wouldnt knock the iQue just yet, until you try it, enormous value at $550. It uses the same software as the ones double the price.
  • Options
    mushroommushroom Member Posts: 6
    That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll check out all of them. Thanks!
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Have any of you that have or have used a car navigation system found that placement of homes in some neighborhoods is incorrect?
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    There is an excellant article in the current Scientific American on the GPS system and upgrades they are doing to it. We will see the results in 2005. GPS systems (receivers) will have to be replaced to benefit from these vast improvements.
  • Options
    cwalker29cwalker29 Member Posts: 20
    Has dropped the price of the Garmin iQue3600 to only $499 on the web at www.radioshack.com.
  • Options
    I need to know HOW MANY waypoints specific brands & models of cars allow you to set for their guidance system (audio and video). For example, 2004 Lexus 330 allows a total of FIVE (5). Lexus calls them destinations. For example, how many waypoints or destinations, for GUIDANCE, does a 2004 Toyota Camry (with its factory option nav system) allow you to set? Only owners are going to be able to find this out. Please see if you can find out for any model and post here. I need year, brand, model number and then how many waypoints or destinations its system will GUIDE you to. Thanks.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    swingerjay:

My 2004 Honda Accord's built-in OEM voice-controlled navigation system can store up to 50 destinations for each of two users. That's a total of 100 destinations.

The system is manufactured by Alpine, although their name doesn't appear on it. It uses NAVTEQ mapping software.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Thanks Blane. Evidently the Alpine / Honda system learns from the success of other programs. That should be quite enough points (50 per user) to route yourself from coast to coast.

I have learned since I wrote that the latest system on Lexus autos has a different approach. Instead of setting intermediate towns, you are supposed to be able to preview the trip and make it take specific highways; also make it avoid certain highways. It will take me some time to check this out.

Does anyone else have input from other built-in systems?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A newspaper reporter is looking for someone who bought a luxury car with lots of high-end gadgets and ended up either not programming most of it or having lots of problems getting it to work. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 8, 2004 by 5 p.m. Eastern and be sure to include your daytime phone number and a few words about your vehicle and gadgets.

Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A newspaper reporter is wondering if people are satisfied or dissatisfied with their vehicle navigation systems. Please send your brief comments and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, July 14, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I purchased the Magellan 700 from Costco for 1099... I am going to be purchasing a new car in the next 3-4 months, and was completely shocked at how much extra it costs to add the nav system.. It is usually 2-3K more! But the real kicker is that the manufacturer packages nav so that you have to get a completly loaded vehicle in order to get the nav. That meant that the pretty loaded Murano that I was looking at out the door at just under 30K was going to cost me 35K!!! No thanks... In addition, you are stuck if the built in nav goes out on you... From other posts that I have read this usually costs anywhere from 1-3K to fix.. So, after doing my homework and scouring the messageboards I feel very comfident with my purchase.. Highlights of the Magellean:
    -10 gig hard drive built in. There is no need to upload maps.. You can travel anywhere in the US (and most of Canada) and never have to buy or load additional maps..
    -WAAS technology. This ensures that you get as close as 9ft to your destination..
    -Great voice system. The 700 has both female and male voice commands. In addition to the turn-by-turn voice commands, the 700 also gives a chime just as you approach your turn.
    -Magellan utilizes the same technology as the Hertz Neverlost units.. Read rave reviews about this system.
    -Auto re-route. A most for me in the DC area.
    -Utilizes the same mapping system as Lexus, BMW.
    -Price. For 1,099, I can enjoy the freedom of transfering this to other vehicles, or if I rent during a business trip.
    -Murphy's Law. Over the next 2-5 years this technology will be light years ahead of where it is today at half the cost. Do I really want to dump 2-3K into a built-in dealer system?
    For those of you looking, I highly encourage you to research the 700. I will post a follow-up after I have a few trips under my belt!!
  • Options
    dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Love the Magellan!!!! It has saved my neck at least three times already!! The thing that I absolutely love about this Nav is that I can never be lost again, no matter how far I veer off course, I know that my trusty Nav will talk me right back on to the correct course... I have had zero problems with this and uploaded a new firmware to the system (using the included USB cable and my laptop) and there have been several enhancements (such as having restaurants and gas stations show up on the screen when driving, a handy feature that I used on a recent road trip to Pennsylvania). After taking several co-workers to lunch last week, two are seriously considering purchasing the Magellan. Good luck!!!
  • Options
    I am glad you are enjoying your Magellan, DC Driver. You said it Utilizes the same mapping system as Lexus, BMW.

I believe it uses the same data.

After trying to set the system for a Lexus, I have finally been able to set it for a cross-country jaunt with four destinations (waypoints).

The Lexus manual is not written for American English speaking natives although it is in the English language. I have begun to unlock some of its secrets but am still a long way from mastering it.

If I were to start over with a car purchase, I would ask if there are any car salesmen who had mastered such a system for a long, American trip and insist on getting them to show a demo.

What might be a whole lot better than either your solution or mine is to spring for one of those pedestals to hold a laptop. The larger area displayed is a big advantage. The almost infinite angle at which it can be positioned is also.

I have heard there is a wireless GPS antenna that can transmit through WiFi to a laptop.

Yes, you have the $ for pedestal, $ for laptop, $ for software, and $ for gps antenna, but if you drive without any real help in navigating, it is worth it and you have a choice of any car.
  • Options
    leadfoot1leadfoot1 Member Posts: 17
    dc_driver,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Where did you install the Magellan in the car?

How's the signal reception? Are you using any external antenna?
  • Options
    It was not a Magellan, but a Lexus built-in system that I have been trying to learn.

The car purchase was a necessary one and the need for a nav system was real also. I needed to have both in a short time and found this one in stock.

I am happy about the car, but there is a difference between a routing program and a nav system -- even with GPS.

Another problem a laptop with a routing program solves is that you can take it inside and practice all you want. If it is built-in it isn't always convenient or comfortable to try to practice it in the auto.

Still another is that programs written for Windows conform to many conventions we are accustomed to and it is a lot easier for us to learn.

Documentation for a Japanese-designed single-use computer is not very user friendly.

Sorry my wording led you astray.
  • Options
    bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Just figured to give a quick note on the Garmin 2610 portable unit. One of the reasons I went for the Garmin is it's portablilty factor, and that came in handy recently. Last week I went on vacation to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island in Canada. Being a New Yorker, I had no idea where I was going, except for the Garmin. It took me cross island, and even cross province with very little problems. I set up my waypoints at home, so I had my hotel and some landmarks set up for when I got off the plane and into the rental. Within 5 minutes I was on my way.
        It did present some problems in the sense it once told me to take a road, that was really an overgrown dirt path. It also did not list all the wineries in the area, but if you have the address, it will get you there jsut the same.
        After this trip I definitely see the advantages of a portable nav system ovewr built in: it will go car to car; you can program at home before getting into the car; it is also approximately $1000 or more cheaper.

Mark
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I'm running a 2610 as well. Really like it, no real complaints.

Has anyone else here used the Hertz Megellan Neverlost? I tried one this last week and was not impressed at all compared to my Garmin. Not only was it weaker in operation, but it locked up on me several times and the only way to get it unlocked was to restart the car. In the mean time, I was pretty much wandering around lost. It also refused to recalculate the route after the reboot, just told me to proceed to the highlighted route. Great! Now, how the heck do I get back to the highlighted route!!! I actually started putting in the route, then writing the directions down so that I could have something to refer to in case it locked up on me again.
  • Options
    kauzinskauzins Member Posts: 4
    I'm shopping for a built-in GPS navigation system for a 17 year old Porsche 928. So far I've looked at models from Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer. They all appear to work well on paper and in the store, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has real world experience with these systems. Which system would you recommend and why?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah feedback on the pioneer would be nice, I'm thinking of putting one in my Legacy or Trooper.

-mike
  • Options
    toms1toms1 Member Posts: 2
    Please,any feedback from those who have used this GPS system will be appreciated.I am planning on ordering one.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jaylardjaylard Member Posts: 8
    GPS technology is still evolving and improving, and OEM navigation systems sold in new cars seem to carry a hefty premium. I am about to purchase a 2005 Honda Odyssey, and am weighing the value of purchasing a model which includes the factory-installed Honda navigation system.

I know that Honda sells map updates for its navigation systems (which I gather are produced by Alpine Electronics), so presumably that aspect of the navigation system can be maintained into the future. But does Honda ever provide updates to the navigation software or firmware?

Also, what about the longevity of the navigation unit itself -- how long do these factory-installed units typically last? And if they break, how much do they typically cost to repair or replace?

Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks.
  • Options
    Here is what to ask the service guys where you are going to buy the Honda: Is the software included on the DVD (or CDs)? That is the case with other brands - Lexus for example. When you make certain choices, they have to be stored and that is probably in chips somewhere and not on the CD. I called that ROM, but technically that is neither ROM nor RAM.

When you get a new version of the DVD, the software will have some revisions within it just as the data will have been updated. I am convinced that is the only way you will ever get software changes.
  • Options
    maa623maa623 Member Posts: 1
    Stay away from Alpine, especially the NVE N852A, I bought one at the recommendation of a dealer to be installed in a new car and am regretting it every day. - To keep a long story short, I've been through 5 weeks of hell which include: gross inaccuracy of the unit, lock ups, freezing, programming problems and failure to recognize direction changes or correct itself.

Alpines Tech support is no help, they only created more problems. Just dont buy anything from Alpine, they should get out of car navigation totally. Go with Garmin - I have a GPS 5 and its dead accurate and cost $260
  • Options
    reese196reese196 Member Posts: 12
    This unit is relatively new to the market. I just purchased it a couple of days ago and must say that I could not be happier with it. The quest is a fully functional turn by turn pocket sized street navigator. It can be plugged in to it's included dash mount where it gives audio turn by turn directions thru a speaker that is built into the cigarette lighter/ charger or take it with you. A lithium ion battery inside gives up to 20 hours battery life and the unit also comes with an AC adapter / charger. The Quest comes with 115 megabytes on board memory which allowed me to upload detailed maps of the following areas: MA, NH, ME, CT, VT, and NYC areas. If I stray outside of the detailed map areas the quest is still very helpful because it has a base map of all the interstate and major roads of the US and Canada. It is completely waterproof and it is about the size of a compact cell phone. The screen is proportionately large and easy to read day or night. I would recommend the Quest to anyone considering a navigator. The on board ones are far too expensive and will be obsolete 10 years from now plus they cost 5-10 times more than my Quest. I purchased mine at Best Buy for $599.00 but if you shop around you can find it for approx. $100.00 less on-line.
  • Options
    Looking at the pinoeer unit with the GPS and DVD, any feedback on it?

-mike
  • Options
    tom23tom23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey and the factory nav is very unsatisfactory for me. The problem is that the database has a great deal of "unverified areas", and in my experience the roads in these areas are not reliable. I can't guess why it's a problem in 2004 to have an accurate database of roads, but Honda (Alpine) does not. Other than that problem, which renders the system pretty useless for me, the voice system works well, and the GPS seems to be a little weak - slow to acquire satellites and quick to lose them compared to my experience with Garmin, for example. I have called Honda and there is nothing in the works to fix the database problem.
  • Options
    nate2nate2 Member Posts: 1
    I just this week put in an order for an Odyssey w/ Nav. Your experience concerns me since, due to lack of dealer inventory, I did not have an opportunity to "test drive" a Nav system.
    I live in Connecticut and will do most of my driving in the Tri-State area. I am curious whether your experience was in CT, NY or NJ.
  • Options
    groggroggroggrog Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I'm looking for an aftermarket GPS that supports my pre-existing components. I haven't been able to find one that exists, so I'm hoping someone can help me identify one. Here are the requirements:
    1) Just GPS - NO DVD
    2) Includes radio
    3) Includes support for Sirius Satellite radio
    4) Support Kenwood Music Keg (I assume the Kenwood's are the only ones that will but from what I've seen, their GPS units don't include the radio or Sirius)

I'm so confused! Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Greg in NJ
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    i'm not following. What does a GPS do without a DVD map while you are in a car? Doesn't a straightforward GPS just give you your longitude and latitude? I don't know about you, but I'd find this completely useless while driving.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    jaylardjaylard Member Posts: 8
    qbrozen wrote:
    i'm not following. What does a GPS do without a DVD map while you are in a car? Doesn't a straightforward GPS just give you your longitude and latitude? I don't know about you, but I'd find this completely useless while driving.

Many portable GPS units store maps in memory. Better ones use removable, expandable memory such as a Compact Flash card, while others have have fixed memory permanently manufactured into the unit. These types of GPS units require that you download maps from a CD-ROM or DVD disc via a PC into the GPS memory.

Typically, depending on the amount of available memory, the number of maps that you can store in the unit is limited to a subset of what is available on the CD-ROM or DVD disc. For instance, my middle-aged Garmin GPS IV has 18MB of memory embedded in the unit, and can store most, but not all, of the maps for the San Francisco Bay Area.
  • Options
    groggroggroggrog Member Posts: 3
    Sorry I wasn't more clear - I don't mind it using a dvd for the maps, I just don't need to have a DVD player in my car because I won't want to watch movies in my car. So what I wanted to know is, is there a solution that doesn't require the expense of including a dvd player?

Also, I actually meant navigation system, not GPS...

Thanks
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    well, yes, there are the portable ones with removable or fixed memory, but I don't believe that is what the poster was looking for. By the description, it seemed to me he is referring to a fixed in-car unit (hence the radio and support for mp3s and satellite radio). I'd be surprised to hear of a single unit that can do all that AND be able to navigate without the use of a DVD player.

groggrog - The thing is, a DVD player doesn't add much expense these days. Its the navigation that costs the real bucks. You can get a DVD player for less than $100.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    kauzinskauzins Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any insight on any of the in-dash aftermarket navigation systems?

So far I've seen units from Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood. The Pioneer unit looks like it has the best features for the money, but you can't play a CD while navigating because they share the same CD/DVD drive. The Kenwood appears to be pretty good and the Alpine unit doesn’t have touch screen capabilities yet. They range in price from around $1,500 to over $3,000 depending on features.

Any sight, experience, or performance information would be greatly appreciated.

I’m not interested in any of the portable handheld units. While I’m sure they work great and are cost effective I’m only interested in complete automotive entertainment/navigation systems.

Thanks!
  • Options
    tdi_tantdi_tan Member Posts: 60
    Maybe consider the Eclipse AVN2454. http://www.eclipse-web.com

It comes from Fujitsu-Ten is an OEM supplier to Toyota. Judging from the website, some of its input screen do look like it's shared with Toyota NAV units, with more features including auto-reroute, Picture in Picture, etc. It goes for about the same price as others, provided you have a double-din space. It's now on my wish list.
  • Options
    sodamnquicksodamnquick Member Posts: 1
    I've just recently been passed a business card for a new GPS system called Road Dog. It sounds incredible in all the things you can do with it, including set it to have a geo fence. The geo fence is like a real fence, sorta, and if your car ever leaves out of the geo-fence you are notifed immediately, according to whatever means of notification you register it for.

It also has something to where you can stop your vehicle in it's tracks and shut it completely down at any given time.

I don't want to put the website that's on the card because I don't really want you'll to think I'm advertising or anything, but if I have people email me, I'll get flooded probably, so I'm going to the chance anyways and just post it... The GPS alarm thing is at http://www.RoadDogSecurity.com and it seems sooo appealing.

on the site it shows:

Anti-Theft

+ real-time stolen vehicle location

+ enable/disable starter

+ satellite tracking

+ alarm functions

+ fast vehicle recovery

+ insurance discount

Individual Applications

+ lock/unlock doors

+ remote start engine

+ low battery notification

+ oil change notification

+ low battery alert

+ power management

Parents of teen drivers

+ monitor speed

+ boundary notification

+ peace of mind

For use with

+ ATV's

+ big rigs

+ campers

+ cars

+ Minivans

+ RV's

+ SUV's

+ trucks

+ even airplanes!

PLEASE someone tell me you've tried this thing, and if so, what do you think about it?
  • Options
    There is no aftermarket device that is anwhere near as accurate and user friendly as the built-in Honda and Acura voice CONTROLLED navigation units. I'm not referring to the voice messages coming from the add-on's. I mean your voice giving the navigation system (as well as the climate control system, the radio, XM, CD and other systems) voice commands that are understood and followed extremely accurately. No need to "train" the system, as it is able to compensate beautifully for various voices and accents, as long as the language you speak is English and you speak clearly. Try saying "Go Home" to an aftermarket unit. Nothing will happen. If I'm out in the boonies and say "Go Home", my Accord's Navigation system will calculate a route immediately, while I keep my hands on the steering wheel. Lots of other voice commands work the same way.

It has eight gigabytes of memory, uses a single trunk-mounted DVD and lists over seven million points of interest. I couldn't leave home without it, nor would I ever buy another vehicle without one.
  • Options
    simplesinssimplesins Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2004 Hyundai Sonata and I would like to put in the Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD navigation system. As near as I can tell, once you've got your directions plotted, you can play CDs without losing your directions stored in memory. Does anyone have any experience with this system or problems with using aftermarket products on the Hyundai's? Does anyone have any other specific preferences as far as in-dash navigation systems? As a followup question, I've seen the Pioneers for sale at some of the on-line auction sites. If I were to go that route, how much could I anticipate spending on installation given the complexities of hooking it up? Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    simplesins:

I'd suggest speaking with the folks at your local auto electronics stores and asking for written installation cost estimates before considering buying a unit online.
  • Options
    salsasalsa Member Posts: 20
    Is it true that none of the aftermarket nav systems are voice controlled? Not even Alpine (the brand in the Honda)? That voice control of the nav/climate/radio sounds like a great feature, but I have a bigger problem with the gps nav system in my Infiniti I'll post it tomorrow.
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The nav. system in the Acura is voice controlled. You can use key words to change what it's doing, activate it, etc. As far as I know, it's the only one that does this currently. Others talk to you, but you have to use buttons etc. to control them.
  • Options
    Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD

Thats the one I'm planning on getting after tons and tons of research.

-mike
  • Options
    Just to be clear, that Pioneer model you mentioned does NOT have voice control, right?
  • Options
    Not sure if it does actually but that wasn't in my priority list of items. Voice control items don't particularly like my NY accent :)

-mike
  • Options
    I checked out the Pioneer web site and I found that it can do the voice control if you buy the $60 microphone. It looks pretty nice. You can also get the back-up camera, TV tuner, CD changer, and a remote control to put on your steering wheel. Still, no real-time traffic info, tire pressure monitor, nor bluetooth phone.
  • Options
    carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    I'm just back from a trip to DC, where the traffic is horrid, and streets are confusing (at least they were for me - it was my first visit there).

I got to give my new Garmin 2610 a real test. It replaced my old GPS V, so that older unit was the basis for my comparisons.

The 2610 performed exceptionally well, even with all the quick lane changes and street changes. There was this one point where it gave 5 or 6 directions in succession in a 2-3 tenths mile distance! The voice prompts will say things like "turn left in 400 feet, then get in the right lane for the next turn".

As compared to the GPS V, the 2610 is incredibly fast, and can reroute very quickly once off route. I did this a lot, as I'd miss turns since I couldn't get over to the lane I was supposed to be in due to all the traffic.

We travel a lot so a portable is most effective for us. Actually, for my next vehicle I will probably get a captive unit too, but the portable gets used many times a year in places unknown to me.

Other benefits the 2610 has over the GPS V:

- touch screen input

- remote control input, so even a back seat passenger can run the thing if necessary, especially if that person is a teenaged tech wizard :)

- much faster

- accepts memory cards up to 2Gig capacity

- color screen, with tons of customizable viewing options (I really like this - can you do this with the captive units? For instance, if I want to know the distance and time to the next turn in the upper right, the distance and time to final destination in the mid right, and the next turn info in the lower mid right, and the ordinal, time of day, speed, and address that I am currently going past in the lower right, I just need to set these up. These are all customizable. There are many more options from what I use.).

We did make use of the Metro in town, but we toured outside the city proper too, so we ended up driving through much of the city during our stay.

I got the 2610 (memory card) instead of the 2620 (hard drive) for the following reasons:

- 2610 is only ~$630 after the $100 rebate that is running, the 2620 is many hundreds more (~$920)

- I trust the memory cards longer term over the hard drive in terms of reliability and temperature extreme performance

Issues with the 2610 (and GPS V for that matter):

- it doesn't like to draw the screen very fast when it gets cold. I had it at -10°F (Minnesota), and the screen is slow to change. It gets better after about 5 minutes of operation.

- The cord gets stiff in cold weather too. The owners manual specs it at 5°F minimum, and I suppose the above reasons are why. How do captive units do at -10°F to -25°F? Do the screen refreshes slow down?

I bought at this place - the best I can find for prices, quick shipping, and accessories (I got the carry bag):

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmsp2610.htm

I hope that helps someone. Thanks for reading.
  • Options
    4runner164runner16 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 4runner and have the normal stock radio and want to know if i can buy the toyota navigation system for it. if anyone knows where to get one or if it will even work let me know