Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Convertible

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
Can MINI keep the demand going with the new convertible version of the strong-selling hardtop?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dcrislerdcrisler Member Posts: 118
    It does not look as if you are getting much response to this question! However I really would like to know more about it... such as dates it will make the dealers, etc... it appears that you do lose some functionality due to the loss of the abilility to open the hatch and fold down the rear seats. I am currently a little frustrated with my local dealer as they have the exact model I would buy... but refuse to sell it unless I offer to pay more than msrp!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Contact Mini USA regarding this dealer charging MORE than MSRP. Mini USA had been instructing dealers NOT to overcharge on these cars. It seems this dealer has gotten greedy and needs to be drawn out on the carpet by corporate, no guarantee it will do any good but if they don't know what this dealer is doing they can't correct it. Hence your need to contact them.
    Just my two cents worth on dealer rip off.

Now as far as a Cooper convertible, NOT for me!

Ray T.
  • chopperzchopperz Member Posts: 6
    what is the cost of this going to be?
    However another dealer local to Dallas informed me the convertible will be avail. by spring 2004. they(Moritz Mini in Arlington TX) are not charging over msrp like John Roberts(Dallas TX). Due to the non-avail. of a Cooper S (at msrp) I bought a 03 Avalanche. I plan on ordering a Cooper S convertible as soon as I get a closeup look at one. It will be my day to day transport and I will use the truck for camping, recreation(pulling sailboat) and working out of...
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    2005 Mini Cooper by revka HOST Aug 02, 2003 (10:09 am)
    Edmunds now has information about the 2005 MINI Cooper Compact Convertible in their Future Vehicles section. Check it out and let us know what you think!

Revka
  • philippa76philippa76 Member Posts: 17
    If they created a MINI with easy access to the back seat ?(maybe a suicide door?) I would be ALL over it.

-Philippa (who doesn't like coupes)
    With the top down ... just step in!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    It's more of a retro car- almost like the Volkswagen New Beetle Cabriolet and the PT Cruiser convertible. I think we have a comparison test!
    RETRO CONVERTIBLES: WHO'S THE MOST FUN?
  • minietalminietal Member Posts: 14
    i read it somewhere that the new mini convertible is to be called "open." hee hee what a silly name! --laura
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Lots and lots of convertible debuts in Detroit: Volante, 6 series, Crossfire, PT, Solstice, new Boxster S, and a Lincoln. So the marketing folks must think there is a market for them.

Oh, add the Elise, which debuts in LA. Is the Mini next?

-juice
    LET'S HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    MINI has rumored the convertible will premier in Geneva. As its expected to be available outside the US first, it doesn't really make sense for them to premier it in the US anyway.
    it will premier in Geneva.
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    MINIUSA rang me 2 weeks ago to let me know the convertible will premier in North America on April 9, 2004 at the New York International Auto Show. I have a ticket to the introduction which occurs before the show opens up to the public. The perks of starting a newyork area owners group! I will post pictures.
    Cool, Renato, go and enjoy the show. NY is great. I've been the last 3 years, but probably will miss it this year.

-juice
  • debihdebih Member Posts: 1
    I think I read somewhere that the Minis have a very good safety record. Does anyone know if this is true and where I can find safety and crash test information? I never dreamed I would consider a little car again, but when I saw that Mini convertible on TV at the NY Auto Show, I absolutely fell in love with it!
  • blackhatblackhat Member Posts: 34
    Back in June of 2000, I was burned so badly by an unscrupulous Chrysler dealer, on a "market price adjusted" PT Cruiser, that I'm still having skin graphs performed nearly 4 years later.... Ok, you get the point.........

I'd have to assume that those of us who want a Mini convertible will be running into the same threat later this year and next year - depending on WHAT dealer we choose.

I know what NOT to do THIS time round... next Summer, when I will be ready to get my Mini convertible. But, it would be great if there were a list of honest dealers who will not be charging over MSRP. Anyone know of such a list???? I live in L.A. county, and there sure are some sharks out here - like the Chrysler dealer I made the mistake of dealing with. A friend of mine here paid "a little extra" for his Mini Cooper a couple years ago. I will never go down that road again(!).

I know of an honest dealership in Connecticut (where I am from) who told me they were not ripping off customers when the Mini Cooper and "S" models arrived. Heck, if I can't get what I want for the price I want HERE, I'll consider visiting back home next year and buy my Mini THERE!
  • JingleJillJingleJill Member Posts: 120
    I am on the list for a cabrio at Tom Bush Mini in Jacksonville, Florida. I got my 2004MCS at MSRP there and they promised MSRP on the Cabrio also.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    blackhat, perhaps it's just your area? We've had plenty of stories around here about people getting the MINI for around MSRP. Hopefully you won't have to go as far as CT for the convertible. Have you tried dealing with any out-of-state dealerships via the Internet sales departments?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    has anyone seen it in person? If so, how is the room in the back seat, usable for 2 kids, or more of a glorifed parcel shelf (like a 911 for instance).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Thanks for the reply.

I can try to buy out of L.A. county - which I very well may have to do. But the emissions requirements here in CA are not met by many other states' vehicles. I doubt I'll go to CT to buy one. But, I'll do what I have to in order to avoid what happened to me in 2000.

I'll just do some research - make some calls, etc. and get a written quote before I order my Mini convertible.
    Put a deposit with one of those honest dealers now, I think the main issue will be the wait - i.e. how long before they can supply one to you.

If they offer one at MSRP but take 2 years to get it, would you still want it?

-juice
    I won't be in the market for my Mini convertible for a little over a year from now. So... maybe I should look into it NOW...????
    Prolly not a bad idea if you think supply will be short vs. demand.

-juice
  • davesbrewdavesbrew Member Posts: 45
    Baron MINI/BMW in Kansas City was (and I think still) charging MSRP + about 800 in dealer added options. (cd changer and some other misc. stuff like floormats or something.) Basically all the stuff they were adding was about 800 and liveable equipment. This was even when the cooper first appeared on the market. I'd guess they'll do something similiar with the convertable.
  • rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Convertible at the NY show was sweet. Best part is you can retract just the first 18 inches if you don't want the entire top down.

Met the editor of Autoweek and PR/Marketing folks from MINI.

Went to the Auto Show 3 times in 2 weeks.. love those comp tickets courtesy of MINI and Autoweek...
    Which editor? Very cool, BTW.

-juice
    I found a "local" dealership that will be charging MSRP for the convertible!

I have the time (I have to keep my present car for another year until the lease "matures"), so the wait will not be a problem for me, personally. The challenge will be timing my order just right.

Now, the only question left is: "What WILL the MSRP be?".
    Don't pay over MSRP! I did it back in 2000 with the PT Cruiser, and have regretted every day since!

I think it's deplorable how some dealers play the mark-up game.

I'm sure you can find one in your area for MSRP... I did some research and found a very cool dealership in my area who absolutely refuse to charge extra.
    I was ripped off, big time, by Chrysler on a PT Cruiser....

I contacted every possible automotive agency you can think of.... including Chrysler Corp. They simply "passed the buck". Told me that they "can't control what the individual dealerships choose to do with pricing..." What a load of B.S.!

I'm glad to hear that Mini, at least, is making SOME effort or gesture.
    I wonder how much more or less MINI will price the Cooper convertible compared to the VW New Beetle convertible.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    latest issue of AUtoweek (came today) has a cover story on the convertible. Haven't read it yet, but the pictures look neat.

For all those people that asked for a 4 seat Miata, it may have just arrived.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Yup, looks like a lot of fun.

I have a Miata now, bought used, and would consider one later when the kids are old enough to enjoy it. Hope they fit, though.

-juice
    I did however go to the John Roberts Mini convertible preview last week... in a word ... COOL!
    I pretty much liked everything about it including the pricing... 20k for a base conv and 24k for an S conv. Under 27k fully loaded. The sunroof function is way too cool, the whole conv top is one neat piece of engineering... My wife is waiting to see the new color ... PURPLE HAZE... I will take Cooper S conv in red please.
  • momentsofjoymomentsofjoy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to Edmunds I was able to get ahead of the crowd with the Mini convertible. While I had to drive to NJ vs. VA (who I'm sure will try to have buyers pay more than MSRP), I was able to get on a waitlist back in April (a day after the NY car show). I'm hoping to place my actual order in 2 weeks and was told they are manufacturing in September for delivery in October. When I got on the waitlist in April, the dealership said if I waited another day, I would have waited a year.
    Congrats, and let us know when you take delivery.

-juice
    Thanks on the congrats...I'll make sure to check in when October rolls around. What can I say? I'm hoping for a long indian summer this year!
    Spring and fall are great convertible seasons. I have a Miata and actually it's a bit hot now - some times I have to run the A/C (top still down of course).

My rule of thumb - top goes down if it's above 40 degrees, period. Below that and the cold could make the vinyl top crack.

The Mini has a neat half way/moonroof feature so I'm sure you'll love that. Plus it's just on button, no latches, even. Nifty.

Enjoy.

-juice
    You're a little more brave than I on the 40 degree weather, but every once in a while, if you torque the heat waaay up, 40 is do-able. And I'm with you on the AC with the plus 90 degree stuff. I'm driving a Mustang GT convertible at the moment, but loved my 92 Miata (one of my all time favorite cars in Mariner Blue). Enjoy yours...and watch out for falling icicles come winter!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Ya'll are flat out crazy for putting the top down above 88 degrees. My convertible has been parked for 3 months now because the only time it can be driven with the top down is when its dark out. I darn near pass out from the heat even with the AC on high. The AC just goes straight out of the car so I don't see much point in burning the extra gas to use it. Unfortunately, this means I only get a few good months of top down cruising. But maybe the climate where you guys live is not as stifling humid as it is here (north Florida).
    We've had a surprisingly mild summer, in fact I haven't been to the pool much.

Mine is a '93, Crystal White, though that paint is peeling a little (the color is known for it).

-juice
    I know...ever so slightly crazy, but I'll plead "life is short". Agreed that the over 88 temp can get a little challenging, but the humidity in VA(while it can be oppressive at times), is no where near Florida's! Sometimes even the A/C doesn't quite do it and the top must go up.
    Sorry to hear about the Miata's paint issue...even so, while enjoying the "visual" of the vehicles exterior is a huge bonus point, the best part of a convertible is the feeling of freedom when the wind is whipping your hair about, right?
    I'm digging on that new "cool blue" color. I think I may order one in cool blue with a black top.

I find it very interesting - Mini's choice of soft tops: black, blue and green. Hmmmm! What happened to white and/or beige?

I spoke to the dealership I am going to next Spring, and was told that I could order in April next year, and they'd have my car around this time next year.... a 4-5 month wait. Totally do-able. I was going to try for an "S" convertible, but that will probably be out of my range. But, I think a Cooper will do just fine!
    Oh yeah, I don't care much about the cosmetic aspects, I just don't want any rust to appear.

Trust me, blackhat, take the dark top and run. Mine is sort of a caramel color, and it stains easily. I'm on my 2nd top, though the first one did last 11 years. But it was already stained badly when I bought the car used, at 8 years of age.

I can't imagine owning a white top. You couldn't give me one for free.

-juice
    Oh, of course... I'm going with the black top.

Maybe white would not be a great idea. But, I think a black body with a tan top would have looked sharp. I just think green is an odd color for a top(?). Maybe I'm wrong.

I was playing around with color combos on Miniusa.com.... some really funny and awful combinations can be achieved with the top colors. Red with a green top - Christmas all year 'round! Yellow with a green top - "lemon-lime mobile"! Hopefully, folks will use good taste when choosing body color and top colors! LOL.

I don't have to worry much about rust, as I am on the west coast.
    They pour salt and chemicals all over to melt the ice on our roads.

I drove in NM and it was great, they just packed it and plowed it, no chemicals.

I wonder how well insulated the Mini's top will be.

-juice
    Hi, juice.

Yeah... I'm from Connecticut (I moved to L.A. county over two years ago). So, all my previous cars were subject to those harsh winter conditions and chemicals. No fun!

Well, if the Mini is built as well as I've always heard, I'd have to assume that the top will be well-insulated(?). In sunny CA, I don't have to worry all that much about cold. But, the heat will be another story. Moreover, a black top could spell "hot" in the Summer if it were less-than well insulated.
    Anyone know how many layers?

Miata's top is pretty basic, but I don't drive when it's below 40, what's the point? ;-)

I just spent a week in CT, even the summers there are noticeably cooler than here in MD. Less humid, too, with the wind coming from the LI Sound.

-juice