Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Silverado Locking Differential

smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I've attempted to order a 2000 Silverado LS Z71
with locking diff and the 3.73. My dealer has
informed me that there is a constraint on the
locking diff, and no trucks will be built with a
locking diff until the constraint is removed. Is
he pulling my chain?

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Could be true?

If he gives you a BUILD date....that guarantees that they will have all the parts in stock when yours is built.

Check this out for more info

http://www.wheels.com/fr_news.htm

Hope it helps

Good Luck

Tim
  • richardbrunsrichardbruns Member Posts: 3
    smart99,

I'm in the process of ordering also, and was told the same thing, almost. The dealer did say they were told that 35% of those ordered with the ld would get one. No way to know until it is ordered and they get the build info back.
  • cluckcluck Member Posts: 14
    my dealer did not say anything about a constaint on the locking diff. he did however say there's a constraint on the 6 way power seats.
    I asked my salesman Yesterday about the seats.
    he said no....he said there was one way back at the beginning of the 99's...but not now.

I was concerned as my 2000 has those seats....but he said once you have a Build date...you are all set.

Good Luck

Tim
    my dealer said he couldn't even order a 2000 with those seats. so we decided to wait. also, i called the 800 number at chevrolet and they told me the seats are on "limited availability". almost tempted to order a gmc since those seats are part of the comfort package, and surely they wouldn't tell you the whole package is on the constraint list. what do you think?
    I was told no problem.

My truck is going to be built with those seats in 2 weeks. maybe they used the last of them?

We are talking High back Leather 6 ways..right?

Order it now....a lot can change in 2-3 months.
    If they don't get them for the actual order...you can cancel your order if you like...waiting now until they have them for sure..just puts you wayyy down the Line in the waiting process.

Quit talking to me...get to the dealer and order that thing!..hehehe

Seriously...order now....if it's still a problem later...you can cancel...

Good Luck

Tim
    What state you in?

Here in Michigan I'm told it's not a problem right now....you think it would be nationwide?

GM is pretty damn funky the last year or so..

Tim
    tim
    i'm in PA. no leather -- just cloth. my boyfriend is doing the buying, but if it was up to me i'd say forget the power seats and order the thing!!
    kelly
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    You're right Kelly. Forget the power seats and order the thing. You can always find another boyfriend. A good truck is harder.
    I could care less about Power back and forth..and Power recline...but all the others are nice..

Up to you.

Order it without..maybe in a few weeks the constraint will be off and you can change it to those seats....at least the order was in earlier?

Tim
    thanks guys. i'll try and convince him to just order it!
    kelly
    Get your Place "In Line"...and then tell him to watch the constraint...and change to the buckets later in the game.

Good Luck

Tim
  • planejaneplanejane Member Posts: 167
    Don't you think ordering a 2000 model in July or earlier of 1999 is early enough? I was wondering - don't most people order trucks at the beginning of that model year?

Or at the end of the previous year? I figure ordering a truck for next year 6 months before was good, now I don't know.

Tim, my dealer says all is well, should have some info on my truck in 1-2 weeks (i.e., order # - I hope!!!)

Yeah! All is well.

- Cindy
    Taking possession the earlier the better....

Example...I'll get mine in august 1999..it's a 2000 model...2 years I'll sell it..it will be 2001 on the calender...the truck is 2 years old..but it's only 1 Model year old....get it?

Resale will be based on the last years model...not 2 years ago

One corky way to see it.....course waiting longer gives them time to work out more bugs..if any..

No perfect way...but figure what's best for you..That's all that matters

Tim
    What stickers does my 3/4 ton Silverado 4x4 come with? Do you know, Tim (you are so knowledgeable)

Cindy
    What stickers does my 3/4 ton Silverado 4x4 come with? Do you know, Tim (you are so knowledgeable)

I just heard on the news this morning that Chevy has recalled my current truck (brakes) - I have a '92 S10 Blazer 4 door! I have to call today and check out whats up with that!

Cindy
    it comes with that ugly [non-permissible content removed] looking 4x4 sticker...kinda a lame type 3-d effect

Oh well

Tim
  • stevostevo Member Posts: 37
    Waiting for the 2000's to show at my dealer (have time to wait). Wanted the 4x4 with locking diff. but the news of a constraint bothers me. Wanted the 2000 to take advantage of any minor improvements/fixes that may available. Now I don't know whether I should get a '99 from the dealers lot or wait for the 2000's. They have plenty of '99 4x4's and all I saw have the locking diff. - Any suggestions?
  • haulinhaulin Member Posts: 17
    My best source for availability has been http://www.wheels.com/news.htm
    They've been pretty accurate so far.
    I went on www.wheels.com to check the July 1999 updates and saw that availability is limited on the locking diff, extended cab models, etc...

What does that mean when they say "AVAILABILITY IS LIMITED"? Does that mean that things are on hold for those items? Does it mean that it will take longer? Or does it mean that some areas won't be able to get trucks with these features? I noticed that the 3.73 gear is also noted. My truck has all these! It is an ext. cab, has locking diff, AND 3.73 gears? What does that mean in reference to my order? Help!

Cindy
    It kinda self explains itself...

Some may get it..some may not.

You gotta remember too..Yours is a while from now!
    It will be a different ball game all together then...quit racking yourself up now..and check this stuff out later in the game.

When you get a build date....that will assure that all parts will be in stock for YOUR truck.

Maybe all trucks should be sold In stock??
    ..or all the options are installed at the dealer..and they just get base trucks in all the same??..hehehhee

Tim
  • zonk1zonk1 Member Posts: 37
    Don't fret over the stickers. They come off easily. I had the Z71 stickers pulled off my truck and you can't tell they were there.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I erroneously thought the optional locking axle for the '99 Silverado/Sierra was just a conventional limited slip differential, using the cheap clutch packs from from the Auburn carrier.

But it turns out they are putting an Eaton Locker in them, a true locker! http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prodinfo/products/index.html
    It is speed sensitive, rather than torque sensitive. When one wheel slips, the mechanism locks the axles together. Bravo! They have some video feeds you can download.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." This topic will be archived or deleted within the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.