Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

F-150 Owners - II

meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
edited March 2014 in Ford
This topic is a continuation of....

Topic 143 F-150 Owners.

This topic has been split for performance
purposes. The original topic will be frozen, and
eventually archived. Please continue here.

Front Porch Philosopher
SUV, Pickups, & aftermarket and Accessories Host

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The UAW announced a strike authorization vote on August 17. The national contract ends at midnight on September 14. The UAW is extremely upset that Ford wants to spin off Visteon (the parts division) as a free standing company, as it could cost the UAW 30,000+ members, and is preparing to strike ALL Ford assembly plants if the issue is not resolved. Those planning on ordering 2000-model Fords should pay very close attention to these developments.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
  • cajun17cajun17 Member Posts: 15
    I will be ordering an F-150 S/C w/ the 4.6 soon.
    I know that having a limited slip can help pulling boats out of the water, but what else is it good for?
    I don't plan on pulling anything, but I do travel thru quite a bit of mud every hunting season. Wish I could buy a 4X4 but I haven't needed it so far and don't want to spend the extra $$ for something I might get to use a few times out of the year. Will a limited slip help in the mud?

Thanks for any response.
  • psychnsrnpsychnsrn Member Posts: 6
    Hello to all. I am trading my '95 Lincoln Towncar in next spring for a 2000 Lariat. I love my Lincoln but the mileage in over 102K so I need to trade. I'v never had any engine trouble with this car. My question is: This 4000lb. Lincoln has always gotten 15 city mpg and 21+ on the highway; why can't the trucks get better gas mileage? The Lincoln has spoiled me but I am looking forward to the Lariat "to be above the crowd" and not "be a snob".
    I forgot to ask...why don't trucks come with factory alarm systems built in? It reduces insurance premiums. Thanks.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    my ford came with the passive anti theft system.
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    Spend the exrta $600 and get the 5.4. Trust me, I have had them both and the 5.4 rules! With the limited slip 5.4 combo you will SMILE.
  • jjsonjjson Member Posts: 42
    To Cajun17, the limited slip will help in alot of situations. I have a '99 F-150 with the 5.4l and limited slip and love it! The limited slip turns both rear wheels and helps, due to little weight over rear wheels when empty, to get going when stopped.
    I have not talked to my dealer yet, however, does anybody know if I can get the daytime running lights working? I see they are an option on Fleet Only Fords.
  • sam775sam775 Member Posts: 22
    I'm posting this for a friend of mine. Does anyone with a 95 F-150, with a manual trans. experience a pinging sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear? Any help or thoughts are appreciated.
  • caseg1caseg1 Member Posts: 3
    If you're wondering why your Lincoln gets better gas mileage, try a little test. Strap a 4'X 8' sheet of plywood broadside to the hood of your Townie and see what happens to your fuel economy. Unfortunately, the swoopy front end of the newer F-150 can only help the aerodynamics so much. Two similar engines will return much different mileage if you drastically alter what they have to push through the air at 70 MPH. Also, tuning engines for low end torque (read-"truck use") can affect fuel use. Finally, the truck is probably geared lower to help off the line acceleration. Higher engine speed typically means more gas sucked down
    I'm about to graduate college, and I'm preparing to buy a new (to me) vehicle. I'd love to pick up a loaded '99 F-150 Supercab 4X4. but alas, they're a bit too rich for my blood. My compromise is to get a similarly equipped '97. What experiences have been had with these trucks? I'm wary of buying a first model year vehicle, and of course I don't trust the dealers to give me the straight scoop. Finally, is there a noticeable difference in the 5.4L VS. the 4.6L when the truck is accelerating empty? Love any advice ya'll have.
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Ford is teaming up with Harley-Davidson, coming spring 2000 FORD HARLEY F-150 ~ Black with lots of chrome and a LOUD Harley bark!
    Thanks Caseg1, I overlooked the aerodynamics of the gas efficiency situation. Driving the Towncar is like driving a box in the wind so I didn't realize something could be worse. It won't deter me from getting my Lariat next spring, I'll just be more prepared.
    I seen a picture of this Harley Ford. It looks a lot like a Lighting. Very limited production from what I understand. Pretty Cool!
    I saw a picture of the Lincoln Blackwood pickup and it is ugly.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    caseg1,
    There is a considerable difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4. The 4.6 isn't worth the money if you ask me. It is one of the smallest blocks and unless you plan on using the sucker: save money and get the six or splurge and get the 5.4. My two cents.
    Psych: Hope you enjoy your new truck. When you get it, get an egg to go under that right pedal. Your mileage may not be as bad as you imagine.

Rocles: Thanks for the info. If I go with Ford, I think I'm going to go with the 5.4. I've found that flogging an underpowered engine (the 4.2 or 4.6)usually produces lower mileage than a bigger engine that can be driven more easily.

ALL: I just made a huge mistake. I drove a '97 GMC Sierra. It seemed to be well put together. Now I'm not even sure if I'll get a Ford. Most of this site deals with comparing '99 models. It seems that GM may have a slight edge in the newest trucks. What about 97-98? I want a 4X4, V-8 ext. cab with air and power locks/windows, and a towing package. Assuming styling and horsepower between the 5.4 and 5.7 are not an issue, what problems should I look for in these used trucks?
    Chevys of those years had disgruntled employees putting them together! LOL! Plus ABS problems, no third door, poor handling reports, cheasy interior, etc... Look it up here to decide.
    Rocles,
    I'm also trying to decide on which engine to get in my 2000 F-150. I have been told that although the HP difference is not that great, the 4.2 is louder and not as smooth as the 4.6. The Triton engines also seem to be more technologically advanced engines (overhead cam, fail-safe cooling, etc).
    I'd love to go with the 5.4, but, in my case, with a 30 mile commute each way to and from work (2 less mpg) and the almost $2,000.00 difference in price between the 4.2 and the 5.4, I can't seem to justify going with the 5.4. And that's not even working the V6's free captain's chairs into the equation.
    Caseg1, you're not the only one confused!
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Caseg1
    I disagree with Roc's description of poor handling reports. Where'd that come from, Roc? That model of truck, they slightly lengthened the spring travel, for a little better ride, and they have the speed sensitive power steering. They also cut the turning radius down a couple of feet, a very noticeable difference from the older Chevy's. So in a parking lot, at slow speed, it is effortless to make quick sharp turns. then at highway speeds, it is nice and stiff and easier to keep dead on straight, especially over rough roads. the low speed power assist is VERY addictive, especially when you drive one for a little and then go back to your old truck. i think the handling of that model truck, other than braking, is better than any of the new trucks.
    cdean,
    Yes, when compared to older Chevys, the handling was improved. I was comparing to Ford and Dodge. I have two 95 Chevy half-tons in my fleet and no crew wants them. Those guys and myself have noticed that the turning radius on the 95s are larger than the Rams of 96 or the Fords of 90. I'm only comparing my own trucks in my fleet.
    cajun17,
    Tough call. The problem with the 4.6 is that it is only @280ci in size. She is still a good engine but power is lacking when sitting next to the 5.4 engine. The 4.2 is a big six and has some decent power for one. True, I miss the days of the straight six like my 90s. True torque that today would surpass the 4.6 V-8.
    My only point is that with the 4.2 six, you can knock down the price of the truck or add goodies. If you can forsee into the future-judge for yourself whether you'll actually need an eight or not. One of my foremen has an XL with the six and he has no complaints. He was concerned at first until his wife made him buy 1900lbs of river stone at a quarry for their house. He and his wife were in the truck as well, and he said that six had no problem hauling it 25 miles home. The only problem was braking--naturally.
    Rocles,
    Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm so leery of getting a truck with the smallest engine offered is that I bought a 98 Dodge Dakota with the 4 cylinder engine and have been kicking myself ever since! Now I can't wait to get rid of it. I swore I'd never make that mistake again.
    Hearing about other F-150 owners with the six that are satisfied helps make my decision a little easier.
    cajun17,
    Now I know why you had concerns. I can't blame you, a four banger just doesn't cut it for work.
    I know the hp in the 99 5.4 is 260, I'm not sure what the tourque is, in my truck its 440 but I have a lightning.I think its still around 330.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    you're right Roc, up until '97, the Fords and Dodges did much tighter turns than the Chevy's. From '97 on, the GMs had equal to Ford and better than Dodge turning radii.
    cajun17,
    Just saw my buddy with another load @2000 lbs when including people and that engine pulled it like nothing. Just don't do it a regular basis for if you were, I'd get an eight.
    Thanks lwf and Rocles.
    I think I've made my decision, the six. I truly appreciate the help.
    I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.
  • sam775sam775 Member Posts: 22
    Anyone have info. on the Harley F150? Any sites with info or pictures? There was an article in the Washington Times a few weeks ago which had one picture of it (it's going to sit on 20x9 tires!), but I can't find anything about it on the net at all. Can someone help me out?
  • tntvptntvp Member Posts: 3
    You mentioned a $2000 difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4!
    Checking Edmund's prices it is only $680!
    Plus the factor of selling it in a few years - what will the resale price be? Jest askin.
    Check out truck trend .com in the truck news section they had an article on it.
    There is almost a $2000 difference between the 5.4 and the 4.2, not the 4.6. You're right though, the difference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 is only $680. The point I was trying to make is that I might be willing to pay more for a v8(+$1250 for the 4.6) but $2000 (5.4) is where I have to draw the line.
    As for resale, I don't think the extra $$ I'd get for resale will cover the extra $$ I shell out for gas. My commute for work is almost 55 mi roundtrip. If, however, I had a need for hauling, I could definitely justify paying the extra money.
  • aflashmanaflashman Member Posts: 3
    Before you buy the f-150 be aware there is a growing concern for a crack that is forming on a large number of 97, 98, 99 f-150's and expeditions. It appears to be a stress fracture of the sheet metal, caused by power window usage. So far I have not heard of FORD supporting these owners with a fix, even under warranty. Here's a link to picture of the crack...
    http://arrowaranch.com/truck/crack.html
  • fordtough1fordtough1 Member Posts: 14
    It is not on the expeditions they have different doors. And they are not sure why the crack is happening and ford is fixing it.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Please take a moment to visit Kenny Brown Talks About Women And Performance Cars! in the Our Turn, Women's Automotive Research Conference. Kenny Brown will be available all this week to answer your questions.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • charlsvecharlsve Member Posts: 2
    Hi all....Have a 2000 Lariat ext cab 5.4 and am very happy with it at 1400 miles. 12 mpg around town and ~16-17 on highway as far as I can tell so far. Was wondering if anyone in this very interesting site has had what I consider slightly more 1500 to 2k rpm resonance vibration from the exhaust under the cab? And there is slight tingle in the gas pedal although the engine seems not to vibrate. At least it seems a bit much for a $32K vehicle that I'll pay 5 years on. The dealer said they will check it when (if) I bring it in, but I am waiting to see if any teething pains develop. None so far. EXCEPT....some of you in the hot west (I am in Massachusetts) might want to check for the correct radiator in your trucks. I have the h.d cooling pkg and they put the standard thin radiator in by mistake. Confirmed it on the lot and the dealer will take care of it by the time the weather turns hot BUT they did not sound concerned when I said they might want to check with Ford to see if a mess of them got installed wrong. By the way my truck was build in Norfok on 30 August. Gotta run and am hurrying here so if I spelled anything wrong (like FORD or something!) I appologize!
  • frcuddfrcudd Member Posts: 1
    in ref to#32
    I have a 98 lariat w/5.4 and towing package and I get a vibration at 25 mph and 65 mph and figured it was from the composite fan blade,if anyone has another idea please let me know. have 12000 miles on it and love the truck other than that
  • n4lqn4lq Member Posts: 6
    I just got a new 2000 F150 xlt and took a look at the exhaust pipe. directly under the passenger side, the pipe has a tubular shaped weight attached to the pipe probably to eliminate resonance. You might want to check for this on yours. Mine doesn't have any problems.
  • charlsvecharlsve Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the responses, FRCUDD and N4LQ. I appreciate it.
    FRCUDD: As for the 25 mph and 65 mph vibration, this does not seem to happen on my 5.4 with tow pkg. I get a slight tingle in the (plastic) gas pedal at slower engine speeds that is only annoying after a hard day on the feet!
    N4LQ: I do have that weight on my pipe as well, and actually tried attaching a similar weight temporarily in different places but this had no effect. It is just that the truck is kinda noisy in a general way mostly around town (highway is pretty quiet) thru the floor at ~1500to 2k rpms mostly, but it IS a truck with no insulation below the cab floor, and my last one 5 years ago was a 64 F250, which REALLY was loud! I might just be overly sensitive, since I was driving a '84 5.0L Crown Vic wagon before this. My brother is a long time sales guy at the dealership that I bought mine from and said to come in a take a couple of test drives to see what other similar optiones trucks are like. Maybe only my imagination.
    DOES ANYONE IN THIS COLUMN WANT ME TO CHECK OUT ANYTHING NEXT WEEK LATE WHEN I GO TO TEST A COUPE OF OTHER TRUCKS? I'LL TRY TO PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO WHAT FORD CALLS NVH (NOISE-VIBRATION-HARSHNESS) THINGS. I also want to check out if others rev up so high when they start. Mine really boots it as it catches, or at least sounds like it. Goes to around 2k rpm or so it seems. Probably all are that way what with the computer EFI and such?
    The only other question I am checking out is the high gear clutch lockup speed. It's 42 mph on my truck and this does not allow very good around town lite load mileage. But this, too, is probably normal, since a truck needs the available torque. I've ordered the Helms book set, but it is way back ordered.

Just rambling. Thanks again, all.
    Charlie
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Thanks a lot, FRCUDD and N4LQ.....My truck does not vibrate at those speeds. And I do also have that weight on the pipe. I'll test drive another to see if it's just my imagination.
  • ruedarueda Member Posts: 4
    I am close to ordering a new 4x4 XLT, black, with 4.2, V6 engine. Don't plan to do much towing and limited hauling. Anyone know of reliablity of this engine vs 5.4 v8 as well as the increase in gas mileage that can be expected from this configuration abnd is it worth it for my use. Thanks
    If I was too buy a 2wheel drive with no options and only letting my kid drive it than I may consider the 4.2. If you are going too buy an 4x4 XLT I would strongly reccommend a V-8. Preferably the 5.4.
    I have owned the 4.6 and the 5.4 in 4x4 models and was happy with both. However, when in 4wheel drive I hardly notice any power loss with the 5.4. And the gas milage is getting better every day with my 5.4. I personally would not want a v-6 in a full size 4x4. Just not enough usable power.
    Only my opinion. Good luck!
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    Agree with f220swift. I have had 3 F-150s, a 95 with the 5.7L and a 97 and a Y2k with the 5.4L, all 4X4s and would not go any smaller than the 5.4, of course that is also a funtion of where I live, Colorado. If you are at sea level etc the 4.6 may be fine. I guess my rationale is I would rather have the extra power and not need it, than not have it and wish I had. Kinda like inurance I guess. My 2 cents, Good Luck with your choice.
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Does Ford offer a website similar to the GMbuypower site? I would like to check out what is available before going to the dealership.
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    "larry18"
    I don't know of a website that does that and I sure looked. Another option is to use the pricing information on this site, it will show all available options and invoice and MSRP prices for the model you are interested in. You can also go to http://driveoff.com. You don't have to buy, but can configure the vehicle you want and get a psuedo window sticker to print out that shows all options you selected and all standard equipment and will give you invoice and MSRP for that vehicle. You can find that in their Auto Library,
    hope this helps you out. Good Luck
    Hi all,
    I have a '99 F-150 w/5.4L and just had the engine replaced, 11M Miles. The Dealer said they had another F-150 with 13M Miles in at the same time and Ford said replace the engines. I was prompted to take my truck in due to a slight oil leak above the starter. Dealer thought it was the head gasket. When they called Ford, Ford said "forget replacing the gasket, we will send new motors."
    Anyone else have or hear of this?
  • smcpherrsmcpherr Member Posts: 114
    A new engine for a gasket prob? Guess I'll be checking for oil tonight. How did you notice the leak, was it on the pavement or were you looking for it?
    smcpherr,
    I did notice a small stain on the garage floor, however, it was so small I thought it was from the moisture off the air conditioner. Then I occasionally noticed a slight burnt oil smell, so I thought I better look under the truck. I saw a small trail of oil that dripped onto the exhaust pipe, thus no floor stain and smell of burnt oil. I was surprised that Ford replaced the engine, more to it then they appear to tell the dealer!
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    I had a couple of small cracks in the clearcoat of my truck. It's Praire Tan and Ford repainted the whole front end, they did a nice job and it looks great, I think they're still a little sensitive about the whole "bad paint" label they got a few years back.
  • ckitchensckitchens Member Posts: 67
    I have a 1999 F-150 4X4 with the 5.4 - one of the last built for 1999. Both the front fenders have what I consider pretty bad paint problems. But, the alternative is to have it repainted? The dealer says OK - I wonder. I only have 10,000 miles on the truck and a little time to consider. But, I live on many miles of gravel roads that I must drive every day. The factory paint is rock-hard - literally - I usually see chips by now - I have none. What do you guys think? Should I have cosmetic surgery? Just for a little more info - one fender has what the dealer called minor drips from the paint gun - it is hard to see. The other fender has a problem that takes the right light to see - too much metal in the basecoat on a small area. This is the Harvest Gold color. (By the way - I just truly love this engine - tremendous power and good gas mileage.) Thanks for your input.
  • 98_svt_cobra98_svt_cobra Member Posts: 13
    Some times they would rather get the whole motor back so they can do an "autopsy". They do this to see if there is a problem they should address.
  • lng1lng1 Member Posts: 2
    own a 1997 2wd xlt supercab styleside. has a rattle under the bed that sounds like a tamborine. most noticeable over speed bumps or highway joints. driving me crazy. any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.