Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Caddy does have the XLR, SRX, the more potent CTS, ...

Buick has a version of the Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, Saab...

See a pattern? Do you think that maybe "badge engineering" has finally run its course and GM can turn around Buick by giving unique products?

Guess we will have for the LaCrosse numbers to find out (why oh why are they wasting dough on the Terraza? -- that should be moeny spent to get the four-seater to market faster...)

:(
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I think that badge engineering has its limits. You can't make the exact same car with different grilles under six brands.
  • 6thbeatle6thbeatle Member Posts: 180
    i love our buick. it's great.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    To clear up a few things:

- There will be a 2005 Century, but it is a short run. By the end of calendar year 2004, the Century will be out of production.

- The reason for Buick's recent sales decline is that GM shifted their fleet incentives to the Chevy Impala. Notice the huge increase in Impala sales that roughly corresponds to the decrease in Century and Regal sales.

-Andrew L
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    At this point the wbodies are way off from where they used to be.
    I think around '99 or '00 they were selling at a rate of 660,000 a year.
    Remember the Intrigue topped out at around 90,000 in sales.
    Century was over 170,000.
    Regal was in the 60,000 range.
    Grand Prix was well over 120,000.
    (I am doing this from memory)

Impala's sales of 267,000 can't make up the fact that the Intrigue is gone and the century and regal aren't selling at all.

GM needs to get the Lacrosse in production right now.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Keep in mind Buick siginificantly scaled back fleet sales of the Regury, and that gives you an idea of just how many sales went to Enterprise. The LaCrosse won't sell as much as the Regury did, but that's because it's more expensive with little to no fleet sales. Also, it will be higher-profit.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Is there anywhere I can read that the 3.5 Duratec will be out next year? I have not seen that anywhere. I read somewhere the Ford just agreed to add more power after journalists and the public reacted to the 500's lack of power. If that decision was just made after the auto shows, I have a hard time believing the engine will be ready next year. We already know the 3.9L OHV is a definite product and it will be here late this year.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    3.9L is slated for spring of '05, so I doubt you'll see it in '05 models. Figure fall of '05, that's a year and a half away folks! Late, like everything else from GM.
    The 3900 starts production this November, or somewhere thereabouts. It will hit dealerships in spring 2005. But I agree it is still too late.
    when is the lacrosse scheduled to hit the showrooms?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    bigmike5-

I believe in September. I'm anxious to test drive one.

fastdriver
    who's bigmike5? are you talkin' to me? (robert deniro has nothin' on me!)

September is not far off. good, cuz i like the lacrosse, especially the chrome detailing around the windows. looks sharp to my eyes.
    6thbeatle-

LOL... sorry. I thought I cut and pasted YOUR name! I wasn't paying attention.

Robert DeNiro... I mean fastdriver ;-))
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    I think this vehicle will not attract the Main Yuppy market- the folks who buy Lexus ES mainly because it lacks a DVD navigation.
    Most young yuppies wouldnt consider a Buick anyway. This car will appeal to those considering an American brand or maybe a Camry. It will take years for Buick to attract potential Lexuse buyers. It may seem far fetched now, but I believe it is possible.

The 3900 will be available n the 2005 G6, not the 2006. It will probably be out early next year. When GM says "spring of 200x" that usually means February or March. The bottome line is the 3900 is a confirmed engine in a real product, not just speculation like these 250hp Ford engines.
    is a gradual effort of cars that outperform, have more features and underprice the competition along with a sales-force that treats you like you're the only person in the showroom or shop floor.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    the LaCrosse looks pretty good. Buick's sedan line-up is finally starting to change! Does anyone know if the same treatment will be done on the LeSabre and the Park Avenue? If Buick really wants to become a major player, the LaCrosse LOOKS like a good move. If there would be new LeSabres and Park Avenues, Buick may actually put itself back on the map. With Oldsmobile gone, Buick has another gap to fill.
    New LeSabre for 06. Will stay FWD on current platform. The Park Ave is dead after 05, to be replaced by a RWD Zeta model smaller than the current version in the 07-08 timeframe.
    Will there be a model that slots under the LaCrosse for the IS300 crowd?
    No, the LaCrosse starts at $24,000 anyway. The next version of the LaCrosse will supposedly be on a shortened version of the RWD Zeta platform, so it will take care of that "crowd" anyway.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    Actually the CX is compared to the XLE which has closer content.

I will say that Camry has added more standard content from a couple years ago. I do not have the price/content comparison anymore but here is what I found today.

LaCrosse CX $22,835 Camry XLE 4 $22545

I did a standard content study of the two.

LaCrosse on positive side-V6, 200 hp, 225 tires, floor mats, OnStar, leather interior(about $1100 worth of content not including the engine)

Camry-4, 160 hp, 5 spd, 215 tires, stg audio controls, UGDO, electrochromic ISRVM, ABS, 6CD, dual auto HVAC (about $1000 worth of content not including powertrain)

So Camry has about $100 less content than LaCrosse ( I am sure I missed a few items either way). So Camry is priced about $200 less than a LaCrosse (22835-22545-100).

But then you have to price the V6 with 40 more hp. against a 5 spd vs. 4 spd. The V6 is priced at about $1500 on the Camry and Accord. Lets give half that to the Lacrosse for the old 3.8 and take away another $150 for the 4spd. ($750-150=600)

So the LaCrosse is about $500 (600-100) less than the Camry w/o incentives taken into account.
    there won't be a Buick model that's priced as low as the $20,000 Century.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    just curious, will there be a next generation Bonneville? Current one is on the same platform as the P.A. I think.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I think GM's plan is, with the G6 moving up in size/market, to replace the Bonnie and the Grand Prix with a RWD V8-powered sedan (on the Sigma-Lite/VE/Zeta/whatever-we're-calling-it-this-week platform). Chevy's supposed to get one of these to replace the Impala, and Buick's supposed to get one as well (not sure if it'll replace the Park Ave or the LaCrosse)...

I believe the Bonnie, Park Ave, LeSabre, and Deville/DTS are all going to be made in the Detroit/Hamtramck plant (Lake Orion, which used to build the Aurora/Riviera/Bonneville/Park Ave/LeSabre, is being redone for the G6). Hamtramck's been a good plant for GM (better than Lake Orion), I don't see them closing it, but it probably needs more product.

--Robert
    The impala will be redesigned next year so it wont be replaced by a RWD car anytime soon. If chevy is to get a RWD sedan it probably would have another name. The bonneville is likely to be replaced by a crossover off the Lamda platform in 2006. The Park Ave may get the Northstar before it's model run ends.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    The April issues of Motor Trend and Car and Driver both have a two page ad for the Lacrosse. The ad is very nicely done and highlights some of the features. To me it does seem a little early to start running print ads. the car will not be available for at least another six months. I can't remember any other GM car getting such early advertising? The more I see this car the better it looks, especially in different (not red) colors.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    It is awfully hard to understand why they would start advertising the car this far before the start of production. It looks like a nice enough car, but I don't think a lot of people will be rushing to their dealer to place their deposits.
    bigdaddycoats-

It MIGHT be a little early, but it's better than what Chrysler is doing with their "flagship" Chrysler 300C HEMI that NO ONE has seen advertised anywhere and know nothing about it and it's coming out next month!

At least by September people will KNOW the name LACROSSE and know that it's a new Buick. I think it's a smart idea that they start now.

fastdriver
    a few months back I saw an ad for the Terraza and Rendezvous Ultra.
    I saw the MT ad and it was informative. Buick's sales are struggling right now so they want to get the message out early so the Buick faithful wont jump ship. Lincoln started advertising for the LS many months before it debuted.
    i'm thinking about buying the new lacrosse (it's actually the buick allure here in canada) and i haven't even seen it yet. i just like buicks because they're very dependable, and the lacrosse is very attractive inside and out.

show me another car for the same price as the CXS model which has as rich-lOoking an interior as the lacrosse. zippo. and yes, i have looked at the new altima and accord and galant etc.

it's now down to the lacrosse, the mazda6 Sportwagon, and the mazda mpv sport.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    I recall the original Olds Aurora being debuted and having ads running for almost a year before it hit dealers. The reason was likely the same: to show the buying public that a struggling nameplate has life and give the faithful a reason to hold off an eminent purchase.

- Bret
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    Most times automakers don't want you to hear about "upcoming model changes" because they want to sell their current production and not delay any upcoming purchases.

In the case of Buick & the LaCrosse they want to stop the sales & production of the Century ASAP. The want people to be "lined up' at dealers DYING to get a LaCrosse as opposed to trickling in and hoping to scoop up a bargin.

It might work.

I saw the LaCrosse in motion on SpeedVision (I think the segment was supposed to be highlights of the Chicago Auto Show, but the LaCrosse footage was clearly 'promotional video' shot from a variety of angles suggesting that this was in fact proudced by GM for use by the media). The vehicle looked far more "graceful" in motion than any Buick/GM vehicle currently available.

The lines flow across the hood/fenders as well as the best from Jaguar. I'm sure that even though this was on a "road course" the producers worked very hard to get the lighting and camera angles perfect to show-off the subtle curves that are all but impossible to judge in a still photo.

Personally I will not be in the market for a sedan when the LaCrosse is available, but if theis is the direction of Buick I am looking forward to future Buick offerings. Just as Honda has been successful with some of the Acura offerings I can see Buick addressing the lack of "nicities" of most GM products and coming out ahead.
  • bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    Looking at the LaCrosse ad, I am again somewhat disappointed that automakers don't seem to know how to photograph their own cars. Do you want to see the worst views of any model? Check the brochure. The best auto photo "art" always seems to be in the enthusiast magazines (and the best of those are often British).

The LaCrosse ad, to my eyes, focuses on the least flattering aspect of the design, that being the side profile with its long overhangs and somewhat common roofline. The photos of the various features are almost thumbnail. They need to hire some of "Car's" or "Automobile Magazine's" photographers and really get some stunning photos of the curvy design and detailing. What does everyone else think?

- Bret
    True, the picture autoweek took of the car made me like the car while GM photos were really sloppy
    I personally like it, but shooting for an ES330 is a bit over the top. Looks more like a bargain ES330 to me.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    The Century will be around in 2005, but fleets only, like the Chevy Classic. The 04 Regal recently (or within a few weeks) ended production, after 32 model years.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Saw the LaCrosse at the Dallas Auto Show. Sadly, it was ignored. It probably wasn't a good spot to put it next to the HUMMERs.... :\
    what is your opinion on the La Crosse. i am Disappointed they do not offer Navigation
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    I think that it's a good start for Buick. I'm disappointed though that you don't get the High Feature engine as standard. Why do I have to get the CXS just for the engine I want!?! Lexus doesn't do that, and look how the ES sells! I'm also disappointed that there's no available navigation system which almost every other car in the midsize segment offers and same with all Lexus cars. Heck, even the MAZDA3 has an available navigation system! It's a half-hearted attempt from GM, but it's still a good start.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Its more than a half hearted attempt- lets call it three quarters. rctennis, this car is going to start at 23K and is not really intended to be an ES330 competitor, which has a typical MSRP of $35,174 for vehicles in current inventory in NJ.

~alpha
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Model needs Navigation, there is no excuse...

except Unions and pensions that the Japanese don't have to deal with. So, why are we outsourcing again?
  • r2s2r2s2 Member Posts: 93
    Another possible reason is that GM is desperately searching for a product which can help hold on to some of the Oldsmobile owners who have felt there was nowhere to go at GM. Olds Intrigue owners, of whom my father is one, seem to love their cars in spite of some significant problems. The LaCrosse, as others have pointed out, does resemble the Intrigue somewhat, especially the back half. That is likely no accident.
    I just realized the connection. LaCrosse-Intrigue. Maybe the LaCrosse isn't an ES330 competitior, it's to keep the Intrigue drivers in the GM family and not send them off to Toyota, Honda or Nissan.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    My dad drives a 1998 Intrigue (one of the first off the line, delivered 9/97). I personally hate it, but he likes it a lot. I can see the LaCrosse appealing to him. The LaCrosse certainly looks better than the Intrigue to me, PARTICULARLY the interior...even in pics I can tell that the Buick interior is much, much nicer than the Olds. I don't understand why they went with the 1996 Taurus look for the front-end styling though. So far I'm not impressed with Lutz's apparent sense of style.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Is very subjective. To me, the front end looks nothing like a 96 Taurus. I think the LaCrosse is a rather impressive effort, aside from minor things such as lack of NAV in CXS models, 3.6L VVT engine only available on the CXS, etc. To me, the LaCrosse looks like a more complete package than many GM offerings, and I think will do well against the competition. No doubt, salvaging Intrigue consumers from defecting to other brands is part of this car's mission, and I think it will succeed. Andrew L, why the disdain for the Intrigue. IMO, it was one of the Generals best sedans in memory. If you dislike the car because you dont like its looks, that seems a bit unfair?

~alpha
  • Although the styling is more graceful, the LaCrosse looks too much like the current Taurus. It certainly breaks no new ground. I suppose Buick can't afford much of a styling risk here, but bland will not snag a lot of non-Buick buyers.
    Lavigation. Its a good car, all round
    How many midsize sedans break new ground? Not many, give me a break. The car looks fine, its definitely better looking than a Camry, Accord or Sonata. The 6 looks good but I doubt anyone buying a 6 would be looking at a LaCrosse.
    look very alike. The only thing missing on the Buick is a navigation system, a Mark Levinson audio system and a Lexus badge. Otherwise, it could pass for a Lexus.
This discussion has been closed.