Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford vs Chevy vs GMC vs Dodge

roglikroglik Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
Pick-up owners, I need help.

I'm looking to buy a new truck (99 or 00) and have
looked at Fords, Chevys, GMCs, and Dodges. They
all look good but want other opinions.

I've got 3 kids and plan on towing a boat. The
most important "feature" I need is reliability.

Thanks in advance!
Roger

Comments

• Options
    kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    First: take about 8 hours and read the archives of the topics.
    Second: these manufacturers have pretty different styling; besides your house and family you'll be looking at it the most - so you better like it.
    Third: Unless you need the truck soon, or can get a real good deal on a lot truck, order it. I ordered mine and I'm not wasting money on things I don't want, or missing anything.
    Fourth: Depending on the size of boat and gear you may want a 3/4 ton.
    My wifes and my personal prefernce: Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. Why?: My GM products always start and run, there's a little more room inside, the engines are rated more powerful and economical, and it's no longer in the 1st year of production (most problems fixed). If you want similar power from Dodge - you'll be needing the 5.9, or from Ford - the 5.4L (both I hear are thirsty compared to the GM products).
  • Options
    RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    FORD only.
  • Options
    DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    If you have three children there is but one choice in extended cabs and that is the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Ford and Dodge have an extended cab? Extended what?..extended shelf behind the seats?

Look how TINY those things are.

The silverado looks like it's twice as deep as the ford. Even My Bro inlaw who works for Dodge said..That's one big [non-permissible content removed] cab!

And have you ever sat back there?..Ford is like sitting on a 2x4...literally. Dodge is a little better...but Chevy is da man!

Maybe Ford and Dodge are just for little girls?...who knows.....who cares?

- Tim
  • Options
    f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    The Ford and Dodge may be smaller.(A whole 4inches) WOW, I didin't realize it was that much smaller. At the least, you wont experience severe wind noise from the third door and plastic molding falling apart around you from a Ford. Go with quality Built Ford Tough!
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Chevy definatly has more room front to back in the rear, dodge is definatly roomier side to side. That makes it possible to seat three across in front and rear.
  • Options
    JC,
    ALL BS aside...Mine fits three in the back just fine? Not in the front...damn console hurts your [non-permissible content removed]!..LOL!!

Honestly...how much wider is the Dodge supposed to be?

Knee space is more crutial than side space...both are nice..but if ya got no knee space...it makes less side space due to the fact you are sitting sideways.

You think 4 inches doesn't make a difference?...dream on.
    From the outside the whole Ford and Dodge cabs look tiny...no..make that Pinito! The cab looks about 12 inches deep behind the door with a tiny window...Chevy looks about 18 deep or so....with a huge window.
    Geez....I seem to have no wind noise or plastic falling off...must be a fluke..'eh?

- TIM
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I would say the difference in width the Dodge has in their seat IS noticeable. I like the Ram interior, seat, radio controls on steering wheel just fine. But it's a toss-up for me. My Delco amplifier has the speed sensitive volume. So less tweaking on the volume is necessary, but you still have to reach over to change channels. I like the GM deep dish steering wheel with the small diameter SRS (air-bag) hub.
  • Options
    Not to leave Ford out, I think the seat in the Lariat is especially fine looking, don't care for the steering wheel or gauges, but admit they blend in a nicely contoured dash-top and panels.
  • Options
    robertthrobertth Member Posts: 7
    What if you add a crew cab to the mix? Then which manufacturer would you pick?
  • Options
    Quad,

Radio in the steering is kinda disco...don't ya think?

You own the silverado and can honestly say you like the boring ram interior?

To each his own I guess.

At least ya bought the right one!

How about that Bedliner mat?

- Tim
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    You like the Ford seat??? What a plain looking flat dud. I think the look of the Chevy seats is one of the most appealing things about the interior. True for 99 and pre-99. The Ford interior is very clean, my least favorite part was the seat. To each his own I guess!
  • Options
    I like the ram interior, if you get camel tan leather, with the rosewood dash panels. That's hot.

The F150 seat I saw was leather, and very nice looking. Now the GM leather looks great, of course. But if I wanted leather on a regular cab truck, I would have to choose Ford or Dodge, since there is no option for leather on a GM regular cab. And no leather in the back seat of the GM for that matter, either.

I still think they should take that vinyl used on the LT's back seat, and offer a bench or buckets made out of it, for the front.
  • Options
    This is what you wanted to hear, so I'm saying it. The F250 4x4 SuperDuty, crew cab, long bed, Navistar diesel. I think I could get by with that.
  • Options
    vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Yes you're right, that would be a great truck as long as you never have to turn any corners.
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I believe the dodge is 3" wider inside. Face it, until you get to the crew cab size none of them are comfortable but all are useable on short distance with an adult and longer with kids. I guess the dodge may sit a little taller than the chevy making the "knee thing" less noticable.
  • Options
    The 18 degree seat back in the Silverado is very comfortable. Ford is going from 12 to 18. not sure what Dodge is. Dodge back seat is better than Ford..Ford is a 2x6..litterally. The Silverado is sweet. Two people or 3 in the back will make no difference with 3 inches wider....4 inches deeper makes a world of difference. Closer to the person next to you is much better than knees being cramped.

I rode in a Dodge Quad a few times...it wasn't bad. But the Silverado takes the cake for now. My Father in law has a Crew Cab Powerstroke. That's a back seat...but I suppose every Crew Cab is like that.

But all in all MY seat is perfect..The Drivers!
    ..The heck with everyone else!..LOL!

- Tim
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.