Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    The factory NAV/DVD systems have to be better...look how much better the factory installed stereo is than aftermarket. ;)
  • miacar07miacar07 Member Posts: 28
    so, if you want the factory to install the rear entertainment for you, you'll have to tell the dealer? and also, how much does one have to wait to get the vehicle from the factory with the rear entertainment?
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    Not only does the vehicle need to be in park, but more importantly the emergency brake needs to be engaged to at least the 1st click.

This is how it works - and has been that way for Siennas for quite some time.

I don't believe it states this in the guide, but the factory DVD and Nav combo definitely will display whatever rear DVD video is playing in back through front Nav screen if in park, emergency brake applied, and "DISC-AUX" button is pressed.

This goes for most Toyota products - including the Lexus RX. As mentioned, I have the Sienna and use this feature very frequently. I've tested and confirmed this on a new 2008 Toyota Highlander - and intend to order one with these options in the next few months. We're back & forth between the Sport & Limited and waiting for more supply/availability and less demand :shades:
  • rzepa1rzepa1 Member Posts: 55
    I'll be suprised if he dealer installed nav/rear enter. systems.

The Toyota dealer I go to will not even do body/glass work and outsources all the type of work to local shops. Same with after factory alarms. From what I have seen, in the dealership I go to, there is only one guy who actually knows something ("Master Mechanic") and the rest are grease monkeys with semi pimpled faces who can only do oil changes and break jobs.
  • abald6abald6 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 08 Limited 1 week now. I like everything except the tire road noise, for 35K you would think Toyota could do better. Some roads it drowns out the radio. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • microbustmicrobust Member Posts: 56
    In various Toyo Highlander materials, it mentiuons the availability of xm but also sometimes sirius satellite radio. We have sirius at home so would like sirius. Can you choose which satellite company, or does it depend on the region? I know the 2 companies merged so I imagine they may be putting their channel options together in the future.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    When you buy an SUV it is assumed that you want all-season, or "better", wintertime adverse road condition, tires. If you want nice and quiet tires and a comfortable ride overall switch to almost any summer only tire. Bridgestone Turanza as my choice
  • bshueybshuey Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a new car and am definitely interested in the 2008 Highlander. Can anyone who currently owns this vehicle provide the width of the second row center seat?
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    About 12 inches.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • nimrod99nimrod99 Member Posts: 343
    12" is kind of misleading
    that is the size of the "insert" that fills the gap between the two captains chairs in the second row.
    In reality, ones rear end has a tendancy to "flow" over into the edges of the captains chairs
    Right, but try to buckle the middle seatbelt. It comes out of the top inner part of the outer seat and buckles in to the lower inner part of the other outer seat to the protruding buckle. Hard to explain. :sick:
    Mackabee
    Yes, I see now.
    If you are anything over the size of a dwarf, it might be very uncomfortable.
  • cotmccotmc Member Posts: 1,081
    Mack and all,

I've noticed the manual rear A/C control option is not available in a Highlander equipped with the 3rd Row Seat Delete option. In that case, would there still be A/C vents for the 2nd row passengers (without independent controls), similar to most other mid-sized SUVs?
  • dc_rectifierdc_rectifier Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased an '08 Highlander Sport Model, third row deleted. Right choice for me now and for the foreseeable future. The dealer told me it is not possible to add the third row in the future (say the third row seems more value to me someday).

Does anyone know if that is true, or could I pay (probably handsomely) to have it installed in the future?
    When I test drove the Highlander without the rear a/c option, the dash knobs controlled the front and 2nd row vents together, not independently. The 2nd row vents are on the back of the center console.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    By the time you'll need 3rd row, you could find wrecked 08 or latter HL and get all the 3rd row hardware from it.
    Thanks! That's what I expected, but I couldn't find any info to confirm. I was worried that a Highlander configured without the 3rd row seat might not have any rear A/C vents. All local cars seem to come with the 3rd row seat, and so I couldn't confirm.

I went so far as to call up Toyota Customer Service, but they were no help. The 2nd-level rep, whom I was eventually forwarded to, thought I should be able to get the Manual Rear A/C option with the Third Row Delete option! I tried to correct her, but I don't think she believed me! :sick:
    Dear cotmc,

Sorry, I may have responded to your initial question re: a/c w/o considering the third row. My response was just speaking to Highlander a/c controls in general, I haven't seen the a/c controls on a 3rd row delete vehicle. However, I find it hard to believe that Toyota would take the vents out for the second row, but crazier things have happened.
    dc_rectifier: Does your new Highlander have A/C vents on the back of your center console?

To answer your question, I wouldn't recommend having a 3rd row seat installed after-market. Think about the safety impacts. For example, how do you go about installing seat belts and, more importantly, ensuring their reliable operation, such as pre-tensioning? Does Toyota still include a full-length side curtain airbag in your vehicle? The 3rd row will sit very close to the rear bumper, and so I wouldn't take any chances, considering the possible outcome upon a rear-end collision. Better to sell yours when the need for an additional seat arises. By that time, there might be better models available to choose from -- such as one with a split-folding 3rd row seat.
    microbust:

Thanks for the clarification. Although your example isn't the same configuration I am considering, I think your information is very useful. Specifically, it proves Toyota still includes rear A/C vents if no Rear A/C Control (manual or auto) Option is included. I can't imagine why these vents are removed if the 3rd row seat is deleted. However, I couldn't help but ask dc...
    There are vents on the back of the center console but not in the overhead as with the optional rear a/c.
    Mack
    Can someone who has a Nav unit in their Highlander confirm the voice guidance has "text to speech" capability?
    This is the feature that speaks the name of the street (not just "turn right in 300 feet" but "turn right on Main Street in 200 feet"

thanks
    cotmc, yes the center console (assuming you mean the console between the front seats, right above where the center piece of the second row is stowed) has two air vents for the second row. The only control the second row passengers have is to control the volume of the air flow (manually). At least with the options I purchased...

As far as the third row seat topic, it appears all safety features are still installed (airbags etc.), and the cupholders for the third row are even there... I just don't think the dealer was right, but I think I walked out with a good price ($400 under MSRP after taxes, tag, etc.). I kind of like the "secret" storage compartment I have in place of the third row anyway.

Thanks everyone.
    nimrod99, I have the nav system, and I don't think it has text to speech. However, it does know major highways and roads, but I think it is programmed into the DVD. For instance, it knows the interstates around me and audibly speaks them, but it does not say the names of local roads around me. (as in your example, it says turn right in 300 feet, and shows the name of the street on the display)

I really like the nav system overall, but I'm not overly impressed with the guidance system.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    yes it does have voice recognition, its Toyota new nav system
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    Toyota has a contract to push the XM but you can get reciver and antenna installed as well, will work the same
    Thanks I know it has voice recognition, but its how the unit says the guidance commands.

I have a Garmin Street Pilot 2720 and it speaks the names of the streets during guidance.

Most units don't say the street name, just "left" or Right"
    My Garmin actually says the name of the street to turn on.

If I am not in guidance mode, I can have it speak the cross streets as I approach them. This is really cool.

I would think that a built in system on a car that costs $40k would do that.
    This CNET review talks about some of the tech in the '08 Highlander, including the nav system:

CNET Review
    Thanks
    Here is a quote from the article
    "While there is no text-to-voice capability for calling out the names of minor roads, the system does name major freeways"

Well, that is a dit of a dissapointment.

Also, another quote"
    "We did notice a couple of niggles on the way: other than the system's tendency to wrap up its guidance prematurely and its radio silence between destinations, it was unable to tell us which side of the road our destination was on"

I found out that the Nav is supposed to announce you have reached your destination a little early, so the driver can begin to look for parking.

Not saying which side of the road the destination is on is also another let down. Even my portable Garmin does this.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    While running an errand yesterday, I stopped by a dealer to see if they had received the '08 brochure (they didn't).

It wasn't a wasted trip, though. I sat in a Sport with leather in the showroom and got to really look around the interior. I confirmed what I had read that the only soft-touch surfaces (other than the seats and steering wheel, of course) are the armrests. The dashboard and the top of the doors use a hard (but low-gloss) plastic.

I also saw a silver Limited on the lot with a black leather interior. It surprised me because I assumed only the Sport had the black interior. I'll be honest -- the black contrasts nicely with the plastic wood and makes the interior look very expensive.

Unfortunately, there's no way I would want to sit in a black leather interior after the car has been sitting in the sun for any length of time. :)
    My wife and I test drove both Sport and Limited. We felt fairly significant difference in the suspension, with the Sport being more truck-like such as 4-Runner, and Limited more car like ride. I didn't push it in the turns so I can't say much about body lean, this is just more impression from driving on highway and city streets.
  • jclevinjclevin Member Posts: 7
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reported the following for BOTH the ’08 HL and ’06-’07 RAV4 from their frontal offset crash tests:

“A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the steering wheel through the airbag, indicating that head injuries would be possible.” (see links to info below)

This was surprising to me. Even though both vehicles received a ‘Good’ overall evaluation (best possible score), I’m baffled why the driver’s frontal airbag in BOTH of these vehicles is failing to keep the driver’s (dummy’s) head from striking the steering wheel in these crash tests – isn’t that the whole purpose of the driver’s frontal airbag...to prevent the driver's body/head from hitting the steering wheel? I’m also a bit surprised this is happening in two of Toyota’s newest vehicles.

If my head strikes the steering wheel THROUGH my frontal airbag in an accident – that is not ‘Good’. IMHO, I think IIHS should change their rating system or maybe Toyota should take action to correct this issue.

I really like both the new HL and Rav4 but it’s details like this that really irk me when faced with the possibility of spending my hard earned money on either of these vehicles. I don’t plan on being in an accident (knock on wood) but who ever does. Does anyone else feel the same way or maybe it’s just me??

’08 Highlander: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=843
    ’06-’07 Rav4: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=654
    Do they mention if the steering wheel was pulled all the way out or pushed in position. You know they both have the telescoping wheel.
    Mack
  • taz16taz16 Member Posts: 29
    Hi, does anybody here own a 08' Highlander Sport? Im looking at one to buy and I just wanted to see any other opinions here about one, I want the Sport but test drove a base model. Plenty of pep, brakes strong with pretty good pedal feel. As for the handling and steering feel, I can tell what many professional reviews are talking about of the sort of weak kneed steering and response, i guess the Sport model will trim up the motions a bit. Has anyone drove a Sport one yet and has the steering/handling improve and does the ride quality suffers very badly?

Thanks
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'd strongly recommend you test drive a Sport yourself. I've driven all three models and found the base and Limited good riding, but with completely numb steering. The issue with the Sport, for me, was not on pot holed roads, but on a lot of the older concrete roads roads we have in the midwest. The Sport seemed to bounce down the road like a rubber ball which I found very objectionable. We'd consider a base, but want a sunroof which is no longer available on that trim line and to my thinking, the Limited is overpriced for what we need. Good luck in your decision.
    The steering response is due to the Electric power steering. It feels weird and will take some getting used to. The Sport helps a bit but there's really not much difference in the feel as it also uses the electric power steering.
    Mack
  • bshueybshuey Member Posts: 2
    FYI, the IIHS ratings for 2001-2007 Highlanders are the same. Check out this link:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=138

I agree with you, I don't understand how this can be "good". But apparently Toyota didn't see this as problematic since it was identifed in 2001 and still exists in the 2008 Highlander.
  • atkinsonlpatkinsonlp Member Posts: 3
    I have about 2k on my silver HL sport. It is everything most say about it. However, the steering to me is ok. After driving a 92 Previa into the ground this is a joy to drive.

I did not try the base or Limited so can't say anything about the comparison.

Freeway driving has been fine. It has sufficient power and sufficiently nimble.
  • ram10ram10 Member Posts: 5
    Would anyone knows if Toyota has 4 cylinder version of Highlander and also with 3rd row seat.

I havent been able to find any quotes so far.

Thanks,
    Would anyone knows if Toyota has 4 cylinder version of Highlander and also with 3rd row seat.

For 2008, there are no 4-cylinder models (with or without 3rd row seat). If you really want a 4-cylinder Highlander, you'll need to find a 2007. Alternatively, you could look at the RAV4, which is offered with both 4-cylinder and V6 engines.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    There is no 4 cylinder version any longer. Toyota decided to go with the V6 engine only with their new 2008 model. The RAV4 still has a four, however.

Ken
  • denverbriandenverbrian Member Posts: 61
    Hey nimrod...my new 2008 Highlander Sport has nav, and I'm very familiar with it as it's my third Toyota with nav.

Nav lady will say: "In half of a mile, right turn onto I-25 South." "Right turn ahead." "Bong bong."

Unfortunately, she will only be this chatty on interstates and state and federal highways. She can't say neighborhood street names.

In return for the lack of chattiness, she doesn't sound nearly as computerized as text-to-speech synthesis voices.

In the new nav system, you also have certain voice commands available; however, other than the command for "home," it's a bit clunky because you have to press the button on the steering wheel and then say your command. Meanwhile, nav lady is TELLING you that you have to give your command after "briefly pressing the voice button." So the timing is weird.

One thing that irked me about my '08 HL Sport is that the nav DVD is version 2006.1 - and I'm hearing that 2007.1 is not only available but shipping on some '08s. I'll have to cough up $250 for an updated nav DVD...which I've also heard will eliminate the need to press the infernal "I agree" button every time you start the car.
    The second part of CNET's niggle about the nav system is flat wrong. Nav lady quite clearly says "Your destination is ahead, on the right" or "on the left."

It may be that the particular destination they programmed in wasn't recorded in the DVD database correctly so nav lady couldn't tell which side of the road it was on. 99.99% of the time she'll tell you left or right side of the road.

"You have arrived at your destination. Your route guidance is now finished" does usually occur a block or so before you're on top of the address - but of course the oh-so-giant 8" screen clearly shows you the target. Biggest...nav screen..ever!!!!
    My '08 HL Sport has 300 miles on it. A thing of beauty.

It really drives like a raised Camry - essentially, it IS a raised Camry, as chassis and engine are from the Camry.

The 19" wheels on the Sport and Limited will provide a different ride feel than the 17" wheels on the base model you drove. I personally felt no real differences between Sport and Limited when driving - both were quiet, competent, just a bit more live over tar strips and seams on roads than a Camry.

I preferred the Sport over the Limited for several reasons:

--$4K less in general.

--You give up HomeLink, the power rear liftgate, the ridiculous extra one inch of "thigh support" on the driver's seat, and (in most cases) SmartKey with the Sport; but you also give up (gladly) the absolutely hideous looking "wood trim" in the Limited. It's far too fake for my tastes. For $160, I can buy an aftermarket wood trim kit in an exact wood color and style to make the Sport look super cool, if I want.

--You can get Sports with nav and leather, and that provides seat heaters and 98% of the gizmos on the Limited.

I am insufferably pleased with myself because I was able to get a Cypress Green Sport - a rare color here in CO - a subtle, silver/green light to medium tone, not GREEN green at all. Very sharp especially compared to all the other colors, which are the ever popular and ever boring silver, gray, black and white. (There is a dark red that's kind of fun and a blue that's too vibrant.)
    denverbrian (go Broncos!)
    I am in the Bay Area CA (ex Boulder)
    Thanks for the information
    I was torn between getting a Sport vs the Limited.
    The only thing a Sport does not have is the push button start. You can get everything a Limited has (power rear door etc).
    I was also concerned about the ride of the limited. I test drove one and found it fine, not as floaty as people have said it is.

I also think the fake wood trim is ugly, but I can get used to it. I like the push to start feature.

I am planning to get a green limited (wish it had the grey roof rails like the sport). I think the limited has the theft deterent system as standard (sport does not)
    Comparably equipped, I came out to about an $800 difference between the Sport and Limited.

This would be for a Sport 2WD with leather, JBL w/Bluetooth, auto front and rear A/C, power rear door, anti-theft system, and HomeLink. The Limited is with the power rear door, JBL w/Bluetooth, auto-rear air, and spoiler.

I actually like the fake wood better than the fake metal, and the Smart Key, auto-dimming mirror, chrome scuff plates, and puddle lights seem like they'd be worth the extra $800. :)
  • donnieodonnieo Member Posts: 12
    Where did you purchase your sport with the deleted third row seat? I've checked with several dealers in the Chicago area and they ALL tell me that it is unavailable and is not even being made yet. It may be made sometime this fall.
    I can't believe I'm probably the only one that likes the simulated wood trim on the Ltd Highlander. Of all the plastic wood trims Toyota has offered throughout the years I believe this is the one that actually comes closest to looking like real wood. I'm not an expert on wood but I do consider myself a bit knowledgeable. I have done several wood working projects in my life and own some fine musical instruments made of real wood to know the difference. What is it about this type that you guys don't like?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • bsmestadbsmestad Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone tried any of the 3rd party trailer hitches that are available? I saw this one online, but am hesitant. I still don't know why the towing package doesn't include a fricken hitch.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2008_Toyota_Highlander.htm
  • mcswinemcswine Member Posts: 30
    Well, I have not seen the new Highlander so I can't comment on that, but the fake wood in my '03 is so obviously fake it's not even funny. There is no way it could ever be confused with "real" wood. Is the trim in the new Highlander that much better than before?