Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Want to Replace Tires on 2001 Outback Ltd

mrglickmrglick Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Hi all;

I need help deciding which tires to purchase for 2001 Outback Ltd. I am completely dissatified with original tires (Firestone Wilderness) and want to replace all four tires.

Any feedback / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
mrg

Comments

• bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Give us your priorities and we can possibly suggest a few models.

I assume the current tires are sized 225/60-16?
  • mrglickmrglick Member Posts: 19
    bretfraz,

Tires read p225 60R 16 97h m+s

Basically, this is our family car. We put on about 15k miles per year. Traction in wet weather and smooth ride are our priorities.

Do not know much about tires. One of our tires is pretty worn on side (DW says she does not scrape against curb, but it sure looks like she does).

I never felt comfortable with these tires since the whole firestone/explorer mess.

Appreciate your feedback.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Firestone Wilderness tires found on early current-generation Outbacks share nothing with the infamous Explorer tire, other than the name. The Explorer versions were truck/SUV tires. The Outback's was a car tire. FWIW, the current Outbacks use Bridgestone Potenzas.

Bob
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I replaced the Firestones on my 01 Outback with Dunlops SP Sport A2's (a very highly rated tire) and didn't have good luck with them, although others here had better experiences with the Dunlops than I did. In short, they cupped after a few thousand miles and became extremely noisy, and they were almost worn out after 18K miles. Discount Tire replaced them for free because they definitely did not feel like they had performed as expected. They gave me Michelin MXV4 Plus radials instead and they were immensely better for the 8K miles that I owned the car before trading it in. The Michelins were luxury-car quiet on the highway, and handled great in the rain and snow...especially compared to the Firestones and Dunlops. These are expensive tires, but worth it given the dramatic difference I felt in the car. Costco sells these for around $140 a tire, if I recall.

Brian
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I've got around 20k out of them but I doubt they will be over 30k. A2s handle well for me and give good crisp ateering.

Awd cars are real tire eaters.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    For a smooth ride and good wet traction, I like the Bridgestone Turanza LS, Michelin X-One or the Michelin Harmony. All will run you about $100 each. The Energy MXV4 Plus that BKAISER1 mentioned are excellent but expensive. All the tires I mentioned will meet your load rating needs (I checked to be sure).

Hope this helps.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Awd cars are real tire eaters.

My son got nearly 70K off his original tires on his '96 Impreza Outback.

Bob
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    I replaced my original Firestones (40K miles) on my 2001 LLBean w/ Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They are excellent in every aspect (dry, wet, snow, cornering, feel, hydroplaning, noise) but price - $158 a pop at BJs. But they are like riding on rails in rain, standing water, etc. at 70+ mph...

If they last for 30K I'll probably buy them again. That's my price/performance point. If not, I'll buy my usual BFGoodrich T/A H-rated replacement tires. They've done well on past Camry (3 sets) and current Accord (second set).

Ralph
  • jlemolejlemole Member Posts: 345
  • tfoshbonetfoshbone Member Posts: 18
    I've got a 99 obw legacy and I put michelin harmony's on about 2000 mi. ago and love them! 80 thousand mi. tread life warranty low road noise and hold great. haven't had much rain yet to test that part but reviews are good on tire rack. T
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If you don't get much snow, my Nitto NT460 touring tires are very quiet and last a long time. Wet braking is pretty good (traction gets an "A" rating, FWIW).

Their Achilles' Heel is snow traction, I'd avoid them if you live in the snow belt.

-juice
  • mrglickmrglick Member Posts: 19
    As usual you guys have been great. I think I'm going the Michelin route. Either Harmony or Pilot Sports A/S.

Thanks again,

-g
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    I just ordered Kumhos 716s for my 01 OB from tirerack. Seem highly recommended and very inexpensive. Several people in my office have Kumho tires and are very pleased with them. The new Continental Contiextremes look good too and should do well in snow. Decisions, decisions.

Greg
This discussion has been closed.