Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Subaru Impreza and Impreza WRX STI Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    STi does have LATCH so car seats are not a problem.

Krzys
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    phkck-
    when you get the STi, put up a trunk/wing swap Ad in NABISCO.

-Dave
  • Options
    phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    yes there is the Latch system in the STi, but at 6'2" with the driver seat where I need it, there is just not enough leg room for the kids in a car seat.
    I imagine the sport ride would have translated to a rough ride after a few months of commuting 25 miles each way (fairly rough roads).
    Now if only the STi had an AUTOMATIC (just kidding).
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    ...and came in a wagon...

But seriously, consider the Forester XT if you have a family but still want the 2.5T. Or wait for the Legacy turbo due soon.

-juice
  • Options
    smazzy4smazzy4 Member Posts: 16
    I'm curious as to how much people have been paying recently for the Sti?
    I was quoted close to invoice in the Dallas area.
    Should I shoot for below invoice?
  • Options
    imprezzive stiimprezzive sti Member Posts: 1
    just picked up an STi for 29,900... Happy as hell with it
  • Options
    kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Assume that is before tax and license. What year?
  • Options
    leecoopleecoop Member Posts: 2
    Went to Subaru of Dallas last week. They have significantly lower prices on new MY2004 WRX sedans and wagons. Price is around 21500.

The things I do not understand are:
    1. Why don't they put those price on their website?
    2. Some of those MY2002 used WRXs cost more than brand new MY2004 ones.

Go get them before they are gone.
  • Options
    1. Because that's not the MSRP, and prices vary greatly by region. Think of MSRP as the most you should pay.

2. Those are asking prices for the used cars, it doesn't mean they'll get what they ask. Subies do not depreciate quickly so yeah, even final prices will be close. May as well buy new.

-juice
  • Options
    leecoopleecoop Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the confusion, I did not describe the situation properly.

1. Went to Subaru of Dallas website, they didn't list prices, it just says something like "call dealer". It kind of gave the impression that they are tough on the price. But the fact is they have pretty good deal if you walk in. This does not sound right to me from a business point of view.

2. Walked on SOD's lot. I saw MY2002 WRX with 20k miles for $21k and brand new MY2004 WRX for $21500. This does not make sense to me, either. Unless the intention was to push new car sales.
  • Options
    subtonesubtone Member Posts: 15
    The dealer is offering a 2004 w/pre package for $24,800 OTD or 2005 w/pre package for 27,000.

Is there much difference between the 2004/2005
    I know about the new radio cup holders and steering wheel and I have heard the manual now has dual cone synchronizers? any thoughts
  • Options
    The upgrades to the '05 are nice -
    - new stereo
    - Front cup holders
    - tail pipe restyled
    - different wheels.
    - upgraded interior
    - New steering wheel???

- Driving dynamics will be the same, so save the $2200 and get the '04. If you have second thoughts, use the money for new rims and tires.
  • Options
    Not worth $2200 IMO, I'd get the 04.

If it was $1000 that would be different, plus you'd recover most of that when you sold it.

-juice
  • Options
    chicagorobchicagorob Member Posts: 12
    I saw a WRX STi 2004 in the paper for 20999, it says 300hp, with gold alloys. Is this a typo/ bait and switch?
  • Options
    or maybe demo with high miles ?
  • Options
    Or even used. Or wrecked.

Sounds way too good to be true.

-juice
  • Options
    dsilver668dsilver668 Member Posts: 4
    Was looking at the WRX Sti Blue. MSRP is 33,524.00. Invoice is around 31K. Markup get ready is $9,800!!!! I can see paying MSRP. Would really like to get below it, and or get the boost gauge, and extended warrenty for free. I think this is a good product, and I know dealers and sales folks have to make a living, but 9 K over is rediculious. I am working with one dealernow, and once I get my finances together I hope to be able to press them hard and at least hit MSRP.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    wow around here most are pretty in-expensive I think. Why not look at a slightly used STi?

-mike
  • Options
    They are discounted well below MSRP in the DC area.

-juice
  • Options
    jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    Most PA dealers seem to be selling at invoice. Becker Subaru in Allentown will quote anyone invoice price. Even internet quotes are @ invoice!

Two other dealers (including the one I bought my car from) are selling at invoice, too.

Why not fly out here, buy the car, and take a nice road trip home? The car will be completely broken in when you arrive back at home! :)
  • Options
    searcher1searcher1 Member Posts: 6
    Are there any Canadians on Edmunds who can tell me what they paid for their Subes? I'm interested in a WRX wagon.

I wish Edmunds provided Canadian dealer invoice and TMV information. Dealer cost information is hard to come by in comparison to the American market. I don't want to walk into one of the local dealers without a bargaining position.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, but would appreciate input from other cities and provinces.

Thanks,
    S.
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
  • Options
    paladinvppaladinvp Member Posts: 2
    I have a WRX 02. I live in new england and average 20k miles a year combination of city and highway. These stock tires seem to suck in winter or rain. I am looking to replace with a high performance all season or considering winter tires from late november till april and high performance all season rest of the year. Any recommendations or ideas? thanks.
  • Options
    barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    paladinvp, I replaced the stock tires on my '04 WRX with Toyo Proxes 4. So far I've been pretty happy with them in dry and wet (limited) driving. I have yet to try them in snow. I think they're pretty good tires for the price.

The other two high performance all-seasons I considered are the Kumho ASX and Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. Look at these too.

James B.
  • Options
    I like the Dunlop SP5000s for all-seasons personally.

-mike
  • Options
    you can go to tires forums and ask the same question.
    I am using SP5000 on my car and I am quite happy (it is FWD VW). One of the best all season tire is Michelin Pilot A/S but it is also the most expensive one.

Krzys
  • Options
    The dealer here in PA is offering me a 2005 WRX 5sp with Premium Package, short throw, up-grade security sys for $24,640 + taxes and tags

Is this a good deal guys?
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    compare to Singapore
    IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STI TUBRO $130,000.00
    IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STI TURBO $127,000.00
    IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STI TURBO (MI) $133,000.00
    IMPREZA 2.0 WRX STI TURBO(MI) $130,000.00
    IMPREZA 2.0 WRX TURBO MT $106,500.00
    IMPREZA WRX 2.0 TURBO MT (MI CLASS) $109,500.00

yah, it's a good deal ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    In Brazil Subies cost roughly double what they do here in the US. We're lucky!

-juice
  • Options
    dsilver668dsilver668 Member Posts: 4
    The 2005 is really a 30K car period. Depending on where you are he might want to just move it. Maybe is have a couple of hundred miles on it as a demo. 24K I would buy it and not even stop to think about it.
    Is anyone getting in at or around invoice here in the States. I am in California, so please chime in. They want 9800 over MSRP, and I could see paying MSRP, but would rather pay invoice.
  • Options
    Bought my new wrx today After at least 8 months of research, I decided this was the day.

$24,660
    2005 Platinum Silver Metallic WRX (5 Speed)

Premium package
    Security System Upgrade Kit
    Short Throw Shifter
    Turbo Boost Gauge
    Auto-Dimming Mirror/Compass

Purchased From Glanzmann Subaru here in Philadelphia

Yea ... needs new speakers, amp (any suggestions)
  • Options
    threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    I Drove my '05 silver WRX wagon home last Sunday. (Been busy trying to get that 1st 1K on it.)

I paid $25,864 + T & L with the following options: Auto Trans, Security Sys upgrade, Armrest Ext, and Subwoofer/Amplifier.

Bought it at Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, just north of Seattle, WA.

This dealer adds 1)Free life time oil changes; 2)100,000 mi/5 yr extended warranty, 3)Free loaner cars during services, 4)72 Hr/250 mi right of return & trade.

According to Edmunds "new Car" info, I think this price falls right about in the avg being paid across the nation. Certainly not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Of course, the Subarus are very popular in this northwest part of the nation.

Good luck to all you buyers........Terry
  • Options
    Terry, Sounds about right with the price.
    I was real close to getting the wagon but wanted a sunroof and i love the spoiler

how do you like it?
  • Options
    threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    Actually, this is our 3rd wagon, if you don't count the 2 I traded within two days of purchase! I had an '02 OBS, and our primary vehicle is an '05 Legacy GT wagon.

We've grown accustomed to having the extra space for hauling whatever. I'm not sure we'll ever go back to a cpe or sedan again.

I'll use the WRX to haul my kayaks and all the associated gear. Since there is only my wife and I, we generally keep the back seats folded down - set for hauling.

So, to make a long story short, we really like the wagons; and Subaru has been foresighted enough to make the wagons handle very nearly as well as their sedans. Since I'm not into all out racing, I won't miss that extra edge.

I also just happen to like the looks of the wagon better; but that's what makes the world go around.

BTW, I think that several of the folks on these boards have put aftermarket sunroofs into their wagons without any problems.............Terry
  • Options
    So long as it's one of the small moonroofs where you don't cut the bar from B-pillar to B-pillar it's ok.

-mike
  • Options
    driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    $9800? I think you should check your math...

"33,524.00. Invoice is around 31K"

Let's say it's 31k flat, that's only a $2,524 markup - don't know where you get $9800...

I've been quoted several prices for an STi here in PA, the highest was $500 over invoice.
  • Options
    The STis in SoCal are still going for MSRP or above. Very popular here.

I have heard on this board that the STis are going for under MSRP in other parts of the country.

The best solution might be buy the car in another state, then drive it into Southern California.
  • Options
    Yup, $30,278 no-haggle at fitzmall.com in MD, for a 2005 also, not a left over 2004.

That's about a grand below invoice.

-juice
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    I drove by a dealer today (Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru in Orangeburg, NY) and wanted to check out the '05 WRX interior, new wheels and what not. While I was walking around the lot, I saw they had 4 '04 WRX STis on the lot. I don't know if they are used or leftovers. They all had tags in the windows with high $26 - low $27K on them.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Sweet price for an STI...lowest I've seen.

Someone run and get 'em. :o)

-juice
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    at irvine subaru... my friend purchased his for 31456, about 250 over invoice, no haggling. i got mine for 313xx, about the same over invoice, no haggling. we worked with desiree farley, the general manager of irvine subaru. i also got free sti floormats thrown in...

i wouldn't have minded getting an 04 for less money, but unfortunately they're all sold out.
  • Options
    No worries, don't look back, in fact everything behind you should be blurry by now...

Congrats.

-juice
  • Options
    zottozotto Member Posts: 10
    Looking for '04 or '05 WRX wagon in Bergen County, NJ. I can get the '04 for $20,805 after $1500 cash back & the '05 for $23,500 with pretty much standard equipment on both. Was hoping for better deal on 2004. What have people been paying?
  • Options
    Those STI's at Kolb are most likely salvaged. I live in the area and heard through two other dealers that subaru auctioned off hundreds of 2004's after some chemical explosion or something dumped toxins all over the cars. They cleaned them up and auctioned them to dealers.
  • Options
    Posted yesterday inquiring about pricing but I had to have it today. Just signed the paperwork on '05 WRX Wagon w/standard equipment except for roof rails. Took the special financing as opposed to cash back. Paid $22,990 + tax & MV fees. The 2004 just didn't make any sense after account for 2.9%/63mth financing on 2005. Just a point of reference for anyone who cares. Good luck to all!
  • Options
    km24km24 Member Posts: 36
    Great price I hope you enjoy. Did you get a automatic or manual? Also what dealer did you buy from?
    Thanks
    Khyle
  • Options
    Thanks, had to go with manual....Liberty Subaru in Oradell, NJ.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Congrats on the purchase!
    Even if you had a great buying experience, you might want to consider somewhere else for service. They're not exactly well-liked over on nabisco. ;-)

Town Motors in Englewood and Wayne Subaru have pretty good reputations.

-Dennis
  • Options
    That's not good. I chose them over Ramsey Subaru because I liked their service hours.......Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    lilweblilweb Member Posts: 1
    Anyone bought an '05 STI in North Carolina or mid atlantic? what was your turn the key price? right now i'm looking at about 32K - turn the key.