Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota R/T

krsflkrsfl Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Considering buying a new or used R/T. Any comments
good or bad on the R/T?

Comments

• katsohiskatsohis Member Posts: 83
    well nice idea but way too slow in stock trim for a small truck with a 360 in my eyes.my buddy has a 99 and i put a supercharger on it for him to gain another second at the track.It went 15.0/14.9 stock by the way at 89 mph
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    I am pure bred Dodge, BUT,

Why would you want to pay a load of money for a sport truck and then not be able to use the power properly because there is no stick shift option.

I would put my stick shift 2000 4.7 Dak 4x4 against an R/T anyday, the R/T might have a better top end, but I would be very confident over the 1/4, even with the 4x4.

Also bear in mind what you want to do with the truck - big towing trouble for DC and the R/T, it can only haul 2000lbs. If you like the looks great, I'd spend the money on a 4.7.

Course if you just want a sports truck you may as well by the Lightning - why get the second best?

Lightning has just one big disadvantage for me - its oval and blue.
  • barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I had a 99 lightning I don't think there is any thing you can do to an R/T for it to perform like the lightning.It did literally pin you in your seat and with some mods,superchip,K&N.you could get in the high 12's with the lightning,The reason I got rid of it, impracticle you could only fit 2 people,can't drive in the winter,great truck but definately need second vehicle for work and winter.I now have an F250 XLT 4x4 supercab which is just as much fun to drive as the lightning.
  • moadibemoadibe Member Posts: 1
    A lightning is supercharged compared to the FI only of the DAK. If I took the same options as the Lightning has and put them on my R/T, it would make a lightning look like it was a chump mobile.
    Now you blue oval boys never research stuff before you open your mouth. It is proven that with a supercharger, the 5.9 will make just as much, if not more ponies than the lighting. The SP 360 has the engine that I am talking about. Try reading more than ford only ragazines.
    DUDE.......THE R/T WILL EAT YOUR TRUCK FOR LUNCH IN THE 1/4 MILE!........SORRY
    I PUT A SUPERCHARGER ON A 99 R/T AND I DON'T FEEL THAT IT WILL TAKE THE LIGHTNING...THOSE THINGS FLY! THE DODGE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE MPH.
    It isn't just the 360 supercharged horses on the lightning its the 440 lbs of tourque that create the thrust.I have exited highways at speeds of 80+ miles per hour when I had my lightning there isn't a factory truck out there that comes close to the lightning.I don't know what a dakota r/t costs but after your supercharger mod it would probably costs more than a lightning and you still wouldn't beat it.Lightning 0-60 5.9 sec,1/4 mile 13.68 seconds 101 mph.0 to 100 and back to 0 22 seconds. The dealer I traded my truck into has it for sale at $27888.If you are looking for a performance truck now is the time to buy,In the spring you'll have to pay sticker.I would have kept it but it was to impracticle especially living in Boston with the long winters.

Good Luck
    Barlitz
  • me66me66 Member Posts: 1
    I could put two blowers and N.O.S on my R/T and still have alot less $27888 into it
    then go ahead
  • superdude22superdude22 Member Posts: 1
    I want to get an R/T, but some of the stuff I have heard here isnt very positive. I dont have the money for a Lightning or I would get that instead, but is it worth the money to get an R/T. I would probably have the money down the road to make the r/t better. Plus I live in TX so winters are a problem if that is of any necessity. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
    It sounds like you just talked yourself into it,What does an R/T cost?
    well if you like it then buy it,just don't plan on racing any lightnings!or anything else that runs in the low 15 second range.
  • teamfordteamford Member Posts: 9
    If you Supercharged your RT It should be fast! Remember its a MIDSIZED Truck. At least 1200 lbs lighter than the Lightning! Thats a huge difference! Im not here to bash Team Mopar, and as far as Bang for your Buck... There supposed to be a good deal. Id like to see how fast (same setup) the FULLSIZE Ram would be? Barlitz! Cant believe you traded the beast in! I understand your situation though. Just as fun as the Lightning to drive?? You must be Offroading? Im pro Big three, dont let any Tundras pass you!
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    This is one subject that Ford is the undisputed leader. I rarely get into "sport" truck debates but the Lightning is probably the hottest product from Ford since they popped out the BOSS. Employees of mine always report to me on monday about the Dodges getting their butts wiped by Fords on the track.
    I do miss the lightning and if you compare what Ford gives you for the money with the lightning it is a great deal,I will own another lightning at some time, they will be making them for 6 years that was another reason I got rid of mine because I knew they would be around for awhile,I heard that dodge was considering making a Ram pickup and possibly putting the Viper engine in it, in the next few years there will probably be a couple of new sport trucks out there, but I have always had good luck with the fords so I will probably always own a Ford.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Member Posts: 358
    According to the recent Truck Trend Magazine who did a head to head comparison of the R/T vs. the Lightning (quarter-mile race), the R/T didn't even come close to tying let alone beating the Lightning. The stock R/T's time was in the mid
    16's (embarrassingly high). The Lightnings time was in the low 14's. They also had a 'suped up' R/T with some bolt-on mods and it only improved the time to the high 15's. In my opinion, the R/T is just a dog with a big (gas-sucking) engine. If you want quickness AND utility, go with either an F150 with the 5.4L or the Chevy/GMC with the 5.3L (or the new Toyota if you can stand the looks. ewwwww!). Both the Ford and the GM trucks have a lot of aftermarket stuff (headers, cat-back, etc.) that you can add to get even more power.
    As a final note, let me say that it does seem like the relatively light R/T with that big engine would fly, but the real-world performance just isn't there for some reason. It must be a tuning problem. From what I've seen it barely out-performs (if at all) the "regular" trucks (F150, Silverado/Sierra, Dodge Ram and now Toyota). Also, you can only tow 2,000 lbs. What a dog! No offense to any current R/T owners, but I think Dodge needs to rethink that particular truck.

-powerisfun

P.S. Another suggestion is to get a used (or '99 carryover) C/K1500 with the Vortec 350 (5.7L).
    I have a '98 and it moves!! even at high altitude (7300 ft). Also, the 350 has A LOT of aftermarket
    stuff available for better prices than the stuff for the 5.3L.
    the r/t goes low 15,s by the way
    Perhaps Truck Trend got a hold of some poorly tuned R/T's or something (or a bad driver). At least one of them was an extended-cab so that will add a few hundred pounds taking away some of the edge on lightness. Anyway, if it really will do low 15's in stock form, that's not bad for the price and I take back everything I said before. With some headers, cat-back, K&N filter, and a supercharger it should at least equal the Lightning's quarter-mile time for less money (and with an extended cab it would be a little bit more practical too). I'm not sure about handling though. The Lightning is very sure-footed as I understand it.
    -Tim (powerisfun)
  • pdcpdc Member Posts: 6
    Just unloaded my '99 RT after spending 13,000 miles waiting for the engine to loosen up and turn into a wild racing machine. Sweet looking little ride but compared to the performance of my other truck, a 98 RAM SS/T 5.9, I was continually disappointed that the Dakota never gave me that "oomph"--put ya' back in your seat feeling like the SS/T would do. In addition, the gas mileage was actually better on my SS/T. Dodge would do well to put some low gears into the RT and get the torque up.
    The lightning is very sure footed
    I could exit highways 70-80 mph,the lightning is a great truck and I really miss it but it was just to impracticle.I hope they come out with the supercab all wheel drive V10 supercharged lightning I read about, I would be the first one in line.
    I've also heard that they're bringing back the Bronco. It will be a two-door based on the F-150 and will have a Lightning-like performance version (in fact, the performance version may be the only version). That would be quite a bit more practical than the two-seater pick-up, although you wouldn't be able to haul as much.
    -powerisfun
    Did you hear if that was going to be 4 wheel drive,I would have kept my lightning but winter's in Boston can be tough, I like to know that I can get through anything.

Barlitz
    I didn't hear whether or not it will be 4WD. That would definitely matter to me too. I live in New Mexico (near Santa Fe) and we get a lot of snow down here because of the high altitude (5600-7400 ft.). We had one of the mildest winters on record last year, so I haven't had to use the 4WD on my '98 Sierra yet. Also have been too busy to do any serious off-roading (besides that would just get my $22,000 truck dirty :)
    -powerisfun
  • haasafhaasaf Member Posts: 1
    Any word on how the R/T drives (or dosen't!) in snow and ice???
    one word for ya.........storage!
  • playhard_50playhard_50 Member Posts: 8
    I've been in the market for a new vehicle and have
    narrowed down the field to the Dakota and the
    Chevy Blazer. One of the things I've noticed is
    there are much fewer horror stories associated with
    the Dakota. However, I have a few questions I'm
    hoping some current Dakota owners might answer:

1) I'm considering some combo of the sport package
    with 2WD and the 6 cylinder engine. Given my
    planned use (some occasional light hauling but no
    real towing), this should be enough juice under the
    hood. Is there anyone out there who is
    disappointed in the 6 and wishes they had gotten
    the 8 instead?

2) When researching the Dakota, did anyone have
    any concerns regarding quality?

3) I'm considering the club cab (the extended cab,
    not the 4-door). It's definitely the biggest cab
    of the small trucks, but how is the ride in the
    back for the occasional adult?

4) For those that might have had some warranty
    work done, how has Dodge been responding to your
    needs?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.
  • foreman450sforeman450s Member Posts: 1
    Ok ,my uncle has had a dakota sport w/ the v6 and my dad owns a dakota w/ a v8 in it ,and i have riddin in both trucks. I'd have to say that, well i would go w/ the v8. It has a whole lot more of power, but it is a bigger gas hog. My dad only gets about 12mpg, but if u want the power go w/ the v8
  • artpartp Member Posts: 156
    I had a 97 Dakota V6, 5 speed for 57,000 miles before I traded it. I had to replace the power steering pump just before I traded it. Also was starting to "cut out" and stall but never left me stranded. It's biggest problem was the 3.1 rear end, it got good mileage (21) but robbed the power. I towed a small boat and camping stuff, it was adaquate but could would not have been happy had I a bigger boat.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    As a result of 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.