Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

97' F150..any thoughts???

hfactorhfactor Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
Hey, I'm about to purchase a 1997 F150 SuperCab,
5-speed, 4.2V6. Anyone care to comment. I realize
the V* is the way to go, but....The V6 is what it
has..

Thanks...

bkh@qad.com

Comments

• zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    RUN! RUN LIKE THE WIND PUSHING A BAD FART!

From personal experience, the 4.6l V8 was a real joke when it came to any kind of power, even unloaded and especially on the highway going up grades or passing slower vehicles. I can just imagine the lack of power from the 4.2l, especially in a Supercab with as heavy as it is. I have heard all the moaning from 4.2l owners on www.f150online.com.

Take the advice, if you are set on a Ford and want the Supercab especially, get the 5.4l. You will be much happier, its not much more expensive and you will greatly recoup the extra cost when you go to sell it or trade it off, whichever it may be.

Good luck.
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    I just traded in a F150 SC Flareside 4.6l for a 2000 F250 SD CC Lariat 4x2 V10.....had nothing to do with power....the 97 150 was a GREAT truck. I pulled a 20' ranger bass boat and a jet ski. The 150 wasn't built to haul extrememly heavy loads. The bass boat is quite heavy and I never had a problem with highway pulling on grades or pulling it out of steep boat ramps. I don't know about the V6 first hand but have a friend with a 97 XL V6 and he has never had a bad word to say about it.
    Zbad thinks that if you arent buying a chevy or GM you have a screw loose. Well don't listen to the blowhard.......Ford is the way to go. Zbad will tell you of the superior engines with chevy...but if you don't have a quality truck to put those "so-called" superior engines in.....guess it doesn't matter....does it??????
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    hfactor,
    It's a fine truck. If you can only afford it--then don't sweat it. Yes, the V-8s are nice but if you are looking at a used 97 then I assume that you have a deal before you.
    Just don't compare it to the MONSTER CHEVY POWER OF ALL TIME OF TRUCK-MASTER ZBAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z--just poking fun! LOL! ;) He'll be OKAY with that truck.
    Okay--What in the "heck" is going on?? I go to this subject and posts 5-10 are missing. Is someone here not playing nice?? Elvis? ZBAD? fess up!!
  • zbad71zbad71 Member Posts: 226
    Pelvis decided to play with the big boy's in the slamming game. The webmaster prevailed here twice now.

I don't start the slams and fights, but it sure does get fun to participate once they are started!
  • z71brentz71brent Member Posts: 24
    I am going to miss ZBAD71. He made the posts a blast to read.
    someone took my posts off of here.....Man they were good tooooooo.....oh well....guess I will retire since someone won't let me dis Zbad.
    ZBAD,
    I have the info I was talking about earlier: Post 137/ Topic 863
    ZBAD was kicked off the site.
    Why??

Brent--where are you from?
    I choose to keep my whereabouts silent. Lets just say I am in the Midwest area.
    Oh boy.......I'm going to have to wink more often I guess.
    Brent, did you catch my bowhunter discussion with Tom Dunkel??
    No....Whats up?
    Brent,
    Sorry. I may have been confusing you were somebody else in my head. There are so many Z71s with names here at this site. I thought that you were someone i knew with a different site-name.
    could z71brent be zbad71????? Wow....clever....NOT!!!
  • justdrive1justdrive1 Member Posts: 8
    With the price of the 4.6L being roughly $1200 more than the V6, and unless you have a large load to tow, you can't go wrong. I didn't. Avoid the automatic..even with the V8. Of course, I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with an auto shifter.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    I bought a mint '97 ext.cab Flareside with a 4.2 V6 and an auto tranny 2 months ago. So far I love it, pulls my 17' ski boat just fine on the highway and gets 17mpg combined. I drove the 4.2 and 4.6 in both the auto and 5spd combos and found the 5 spd a real pain in traffic and much louder due to the low gear ratios. Also the auto is a much heavier unit than the 5spd. I admit I'd have preferred the V8...but when you find a 3yr old truck that doesn't even have a scratch in the bedliner it's hard to resist.
  • justdrive1justdrive1 Member Posts: 8
    Automatics can be a pain (literally) in traffic. But since I have always owned only sticks, I won't even look at anything-truck or car-with an auto-even for driving in traffic.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen". It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.