Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Care and Maintenance

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Share your care tips and maintenance schedules here.

Comments

• Lestrade1Lestrade1 Member Posts: 15
    I need to replace tires on my 00 TL.
    looking for all season that can handle rain and some snow since I live in N.Y.
    anyone have any suggestions?
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Go to www.tirerack.com. Check out the sumitomo HTR+. They are $74 per tire. they will ship in 1 to two days. If you put in your zip code, they will give you a list of installers in your area AND you can have the tires shipped directly to them!
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I had bought HTR+ for my 2002 TLS, they not as good as people on tirerack say they are. Good volume for the money, but I think will wear them out in 15K.
  • dtudtu Member Posts: 3
    Best deal in town is from Costco at $145+20 for tax, install, life balancing & rotate.
  • dtudtu Member Posts: 3
    My 99 TL only has brake sputtering problem recently so I need a brake job very soon along with ALL the 60K Maintenance Programs. Can I do my brakes and replace fluid at Midas to save some $$ or should I do it at the dealer since ABS, auto system, etc. does its' checks?
    I just purchased 4 sumitomo's in august. What type of driving do you do(hard, regular, etc.) and what do I have to look forward to?
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I would say I drive hard. Make sure to keep tire pressure around 40 PSI, these tires are build for lighter cars.
    Thanks for the info.
  • nevadabillnevadabill Member Posts: 1
    I you haven't already replaced your tires, I would suggest a serious look at the Falken Ziex ZE 512. I recently replaced my 00 TL's Michelins with these and I love them. I think they handle better and are quieter than the MXV4s. They were also rated the #1 all-season performance tire by Consumer Reports (Nov.03). They are about $65 each from several online stores.
  • mrtechmrtech Member Posts: 18
    It will be a while but I like to know if most bring their Acura to independent garages/oil changers for regular oil change. Do they reset the computer? I think paying $35 for an oil change is too much if I can get it for less than $20 from a reputable outlet. My only concern is the computer reset.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Paying 30 + thousand for a car and squabling about a $35 oil change-MAN.

The cost of the oil change is not even a quarter of one percent of the car.

Fork out the dough and keep up the proper maintenance on the car.

No offence intended-just the right advice.
  • mobofemobofe Member Posts: 51
    you shouldn't be paying $35 for an oil change; any honda dealer can do that job for $20 and change - the 15 you save can get ya a real nice lunch; i have no acura dealer within 120 miles of my area and honda dealer has told me they can handle this reset.
  • ihabermanihaberman Member Posts: 58
    Had my car washed the other day and when I asked them about Zaino, they mentioned they wax the car with Zymol. Is it basically the same thing?
    yessiree, they are completely diff. companies. That being said, I wax my car with collinite (collinite.com). Never tried the zainos but don't intend on switching as the collinite is the best carnuba i've ever used. Let's just say that the wax they produce is derived from heavy duty powerline applications ( those junction boxes you see sitting on your powerline pole - collinite is used to protect them from the elements). fyi, I use the 476 hardwax, my colleague swears by the liquid 845, though - easily for an old man to use :). Don't bother with getting the top of the line #915 Marqui D'elegance - it's just a marketing gimmick.
  • ben_1ben_1 Member Posts: 3
    Jiffy Lube recommends replacing the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) every 30k miles. I have heard though that newer transmissions have a higher performance ATF that isn't supposed to be replaced until 100k miles. Would my 2001 TL fall into that category? It's been over 50k miles with my current ATF/transmission.
  • golfgod2k3golfgod2k3 Member Posts: 9
    Looks like I need new tires as my MXV4's are about done. I have six months left on my lease and want an affordable, more performance oriented tire. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I bought Dunlop Sport A2 or something like that for my 2000 TL. They were great!
    These are great tires and priced right too. I have a set on my Accord. It is highly rated by Consumer Reports.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Just flipped thought the whole manual for my 2004 TL and could not find the maintenance schedule. I have found the table with A, B and 1, 2, 3s, but there is nothing that tells me the intervals at which these items need to be done. No severe duty schedule, no normal schedule.

I did find info that says that the information display will tell me when the maintenance is required, and it will display a code. The code will tell the dealer what needs to be done.

I have two problems with this:

1. Am I supposed to trust the dealer to perform only the required items? I know that if I let my Honda dealer do what they think is appropriate my bill would be twice as high as when they do only what the manufacturer recommends. They tried to replace the platinum plugs every 30K in my 2000 Accord LX. Is there a list with all the codes and their meanings anywhere on the web?

2. How does the computer know when the oil and transmission fluid need to be changed. Does the computer analyze the quality of the oil and the fluid, or is strictly based on mileage? If it’s based on mileage, then it would be inappropriate intervals if my car idles half the time.

Are there any Acura techs on this forum?
  • narnianarnia Member Posts: 8
    I park in a garage that is not kind to bumpers. I had to put strips on my Accord, but would like something that looks a little less conspicuous when I get my new TL. I haven't seen any kind of dealer-installed bumper protection in the options available for the TL. Has anyone had these put on their car?
    What do you think looks uglier: bumper strips/bras or scratches and ding on the bumper? My feeling is that it's the former that is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH uglier. Bumpers are meant for bumping, not for wearing protective bras and strips.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    Does the 04 TL really need premium fuel? I read more than once that cars get used to the type of fuel you put in them, and even if the manual says premium, you can get away with regular unless you get knocks and pings. The salesman said regular fuel will not give me optimal performance nor mileage. With the way cars today are made, which is true?

Thanks,

Eddie G
    "I read more than once that cars get used to the type of fuel you put in them"

Where did you see such a preposterous lie written??? A car is a mechanical device that cannot "adapt"! It's not a living organism.
    Yes, you have to use premimum fuel, if you want your car to perform properly and if you don't want to hear engine knocking.
    By "adapt" , I believe he means that the onboard computer will adjust the timing accordingly to avoid knock. Normally, it will cause the performance to suffer. The TL is not purely mechanical since it uses electronics to control the mechanical parts. There are several articles written about regular vs premium fuel usage. Go search the web.
    I think if you do a lot of highway driving a half size bra will do a nice job of protecting your paint.

I personally dont like them-but just for paint protection I installed one on my wife's Accord.

Her previous car was laden with stone chips on the front bumper so by her request I installed one.

She drives approx. 35 miles each way to work on the I-95.

Tell you something-It does not look pimpy.
  • baby_igorbaby_igor Member Posts: 5
    mobofe, cannot google you referenced collinite waxes. what is the correct URL?

thanks
    if you google that url, you wont' come up with anything.... cut out the .COM and search for collinite . btw, if you purchase directly from collinite, shipping is included in the price they quote. They are not too internet saavy so you'll still have to order over the phone. I can't recommend this wax highly enough - too bad i couldn't use it on my TL before this crappy winter weather set in.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    I don't know if this is the right discussion group for this question...

When I turn on my headlights there is a really bright flash at the instant the lights go on. Is this normal?

Also, on the roof between the home link buttons and the interior light switch there are 2 little blue lights. What is the purpose of that?

Thanks,

Eddie G
  • gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    HID's have this bright blue flash and that's normal- it's because they're so bright.

Two little blue lights are a "cool" look; they don't do anything to my knowledge. I believe they come from the microphones used for hands-free cell usage.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    These lights are designed to create a subtle ambient lighting affect that reflects predominately off the center console and shifter. The microphone grills are located on either side of the blue light ports.
  • pasqualipasquali Member Posts: 2
    've got a 2001 TL with almost 40K miles. I love this car and would like to keep it -- but I want to be covered under a warranty beyond the existing 4 year/50k warranty that will expire in the not-too-distant future (of course, based on time, not miles). Have any of you purchased extended warranties for your TLs that you would recommend? I know that Acura offers some, but there are also many others out there. I would like a pretty comprehensive warranty for my peace-of-mind.

By the way, I checked with Acura and I understand that my transmission already has an additional 3 years of coverage -- as do all 2000 to 2003 TLs due to the common problems with transmissions on these models. So basically, I'm looking for a good extended warranty that would cover any other major mechanical problems for the next two or three years. Thanks for your help.
    Extended warranty for your "new" 2001 TL will be a waste of money, unless you know it was poorly cared for by the previous owner (you wouldn't buy it then). But if you feel that your piece of mind is worth $800-$1,000, make sure that you buy an EXCLUSIONARY policy underwritten by a very strong insurance company. What this means is that the policy would say:

"All components are covered EXCEPT....."

This is different from majority of policies that are inclusionary: "This policy covers the following engine components, ......."
  • greco3greco3 Member Posts: 1
    Since purchasing my 2002 Acura 3.2 TL, I've had a history of squeeking noises from the driver and passenger front seat belt buckles. The noise stops when the seat belt is unlatched. The dealer has replaced the seat belt buckle part numerous times; however, the squeek gradually returns. Help.
  • ant_live01ant_live01 Member Posts: 11
    I'm aproaching that big maintance schedule at 105k. How necessary is it to have the timing belt changed when the car is still running great?
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    You should always replace the timing belt on schedule. You will not notice any effect on the ride of the car as the timing belt degrades. You won't notice anything different until it breaks, then there will be a very noticeable difference, especially in the size of next month's credit card bill to repair your damaged engine.
    You will also notice the sluggishness of the car, especially climbing hills.
    You HAVE TO replace the timing belt per schedule or you'll face increase risk of it breaking and potentially causing thousands of dollars of damage to the engine.
  • a64marca64marc Member Posts: 21
    Ok the sob story- drove the car 1 day and less than 100 miles- perfect and beautiful until this uninsured a-hole caused a 4-car accident- with me in the middle- front and rear end damage now- sitting in the body shop- and they tell me the schematics for alignments and measurements for the '04 TL are not yet in any of the major supplier's systems- "ccc or Mitchell's" etc. So it sits until they are. Anyone know if this is truly the case? I can't imagine that I'm the first to sustain significant damage to the car. Even the numbers for '04 parts aren't in the books or systems yet. The car's been out for a few months- how can this be? Any help is much appreciated.
  • 1hopeck1hopeck Member Posts: 41
    This is one thing I can not understand from Honda. Making such a great car but save a few pennies and make the cams driven by a cheap belt. After consulting (Engineering) at Honda R/D the reason explained by the engineers was to make the engine run quite and save money on a belt. Now the owner is responsable for replacement a part that make break in a few thousand miles or the engine is toast. I have only owned engine that where chain or gear driven cams and NEVER had a problem or replaced and chain in the engine.

I have a nieghbor that "had" a Accord maybe 96' model and the belt broke with his wife driving home from work and guess what engine had to be replaced. Maybe Honda likes to see their engines damaged to sale more?

Can someone explain?

Thanks.....
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    Has anyone asked Acura whether use of synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec, 5W20, is allowed? I do not want to void the warranty on the 2004 TL by being more protective.
    I will post any information that I receive from Acura/Honda technical representatives.
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    FYI, there is a procedure in the owners manual for re setting the maintenance minder system for oil changes and services. I don't remember off hand what it is, but this should allay your concerns about having your car serviced at an independent shop rather than the dealer.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Acura TL 04 tune up intervals are 105k miles. Does it mean besides oil chance, everything else is on 105k miles?

Usually other car's maintenance schedule is 30k,60k,90k and 120k. Besides Honda cars maintenance is cheap and fast even when I replaced 4 brake pads, oil, transmission oil, timing belt, balancing spooring, new radiator for my accord 97(with 173k miles on it), it only cost me $826.
  • jimchijimchi Member Posts: 10
    I am thinking about buying an Acura TL but the nearest dealer is almost an hour away, so getting any warranty work done will pose a problem. There is a Honda dealer near me. Can Honda dealers do warranty repairs on Acuras?
    service centers are not authorized to do repairs on Acuras even if the service techs are probably more than competent to do so. They can't charge Acura warranty work to Honda and consequently won't do warranty repairs for you unless you pay which defeats the purpose of having a warranty.

i have them do my oil changes though.
  • 1hopeck1hopeck Member Posts: 41
    Are you sure about that?

"service centers are not authorized to do repairs on Acuras even if the service techs are probably more than competent to do so. They can't charge Acura warranty work to Honda and consequently won't do warranty repairs for you unless you pay which defeats the purpose of having a warranty."

That does not sound right........I have owned 6 GM cars and they different GM models and I could take any of them to any GM dealer for any warranty repairs. Why would Honda separate the two when it all goes in the same hopper?
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Acura is for upper class luxury performance car while honda for family car. Just like lexus and Toyota. I guess you have never owned one.
  • kphkph Member Posts: 40
    I can confirm that the lack of warranty service is true when you take a Honda to an Acura dealer. Had a "check engine" light on my '98 Accord -- looked under the hood, it was there - light didn't go out :(

Hate the local Honda dealer, but like the Acura dealer. Checked with them on warranty replacement for the Catalytic Converter, if that should be the problem. Was told that they couldn't process Honda warranty work. (Turned out it was out of warranty -- over 80K miles, so I had the Acura people do it, and it was a much cheaper solution.)

So, I would assume that would confirm the other direction - no Acura work at a Honda dealer. Don't know why they do that.
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    You may not actually see this since it's been a month since you posted. But I'm relatively new to the forums and just now saw your post.

I, too, had squeaky noises from my driver's side seat belt buckle. I also had a squeak from the seat itself which sounded like a spring in the seat back to me. The way I finally got rid of the squeaks was simple...I got rid of the car in favor of a new '04 TL!
  • trosketjtrosketj Member Posts: 8
    Why not call them/stop by and find out?
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Except for oil changes, the answer is no. Any work that requires an invoice to be sent to Acura cannot be done by Honda.