Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Accessories and Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
What accessories and/or mods have you added to your Navigator?

Comments

• auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    I get frustrated trying to move kids to the 3rd seat and have toyed at the idea of removing the rear console to make just a walkway to the back. Has anyone made this change or know anything about it? Could it be made?
  • eburtoneburton Member Posts: 1
    Yes I did that but you have to put the screws back into the holes and place a cap over the screw.
  • sd31sd31 Member Posts: 2
    We are now on the 4th control module for the power deployable running boards but alas the contriol today is just as out of control as it has been since we bought the Nav in May- Anyone else seen issues with the running board deployments
  • lthrneklthrnek Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lincoln (ford) Navigator 2001. I have had nothing but problems with it. I also own a 1995 Cadillac Sedan Deville. The Navigator is made so cheap. I'm so glad that I did not buy it brand new. I can not see how, any of the Navigators could ever be worth more than $20,000. When Ford took control of Lincoln, it was like Lincoln had caught a virus. I really think that Lincoln should take heed to the Cadillac, GM work ethics. (well Lincoln will never, ever be as good as Cadillac). It Seems to me that even though Cadillac is part of GM, Cadillac makes their on decisions. On the other hand, Ford plagues Lincoln with its cheap plastic parts and poor workmanship. One wonders why, American cars do not hold their value. Its right in our face. American cars are vomited out of the assembly line, faster then a rush hour deep fry cooker can make french fries. Even if that is the case, Ford produces more garbage then anyone. Ford should concentrate on making trash trucks, so when they break down they are already in the dump. It is a crying shame that Lincoln has chronic Ford cancer cells. I wish that GM would have taken control of Lincoln. In closing, there is really only one Luxury DOMESTIC car company and that is Cadillac. The poor Cadillac can not keep a good resale value as a domestic luxury vehicle because its sorry brother company Lincoln/Ford will not carry their own weight. i.e. vibrates, number 8 and 3 plug misfires, the dumb automatic door lock, plastic pieces, cheap speakers, cheap sound system, vehicle named navigator but navigation system is not standard(hmmm) and last and final lack of originality. the Lincoln Navigator is an EXPENSIVE EXPLORER.
    Ford Fan
  • mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    lthrnek wrote:
    "When Ford took control of Lincoln, it was like Lincoln had caught a virus."

You sure hold a grudge! Ford bought Lincoln in 1922!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    I think he doesn't like Ford...am I right??
  • motoman44motoman44 Member Posts: 6
    I would like to install Satellite radio in my 2003 Lincoln Navigator. It has the standard 6 disc. Everyone tells me that it will not work, that I have to get a FM modulator. I hate those. Will a 04 radio fit into mine?

My running board motors and most of the control arms had to be replaced. It was getting stuck and not lining up with the molding. It is fixed now.
  • joey2005navjoey2005nav Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know where to buy a new or used 2nd row console (dealership says only sell it in pieces/parts)? We have bench seat due to stock limitations but actually preferred the middle console.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas!!!
  • chris15chris15 Member Posts: 6
    I have had the same problem since I purchased my Nav last March. Need to keep a step stool in vehicle just to get out. Went to the Ford Settlement Dispute Board. Hearing was a week ago and I am awaiting their decision. I just want what I paid for, a safe, reliable vehicle. I had a remote start installed prior to getting the Nav. Have had many electrical problems since that time. Good luck with your running board problem. They made MANY attempts to fix mine without success. Consider the Ford Dispute Settlement Board if problem continues.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "You sure hold a grudge! Ford bought Lincoln in 1922!"

Exactly - this guy is sharp to remember back that far. I guess the LIncolns he had prior to 1922 were built a lot better..... Odd, because my research tells me otherwise, but hey, I'm not that old. I have to depend on those who were there. ;)
  • tripletmomtripletmom Member Posts: 1
    Did you find a console? With three car seats I'm looking for the 20% center seat instead of the console.
  • stang99xstang99x Member Posts: 1
    I own a Navigator. I just sold a cadillac I owned. THere is no comparision. Lincoln far out does cadillac in every catagory. Maybe you had a lemon :lemon: , cause my 98 Navigator is supercharged with over 350HP and hasn't had issue one. As far as american cars being "plastic," obviously you haven't been in the latest line of honda, toyota, or nissan vehicles :sick: (and their counterparts, acura, lexus and infinity) :blush: Plauged is a word that doesn't describe the amount of plastic crap panels in those cars. Anything over soft in touch breaks camry consoles. 350z and g35 models have more plastic than a milk jug factory, and honda is still cranking out more of their piss poor underpowered econoboxes than anyone could ever buy. I suggest you try another lincoln that isn't pre-owned (pre-abused) Any car can be a piece of crap if the previous owner treated it as such :confuse:
  • kool516kool516 Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I want to change the radio on my 2006 Navi to possibly a Pioneer radio with navigation. Will this have an affect on my backup sensors because when the backup sensors beep, the radio volume lowers so you can hear the beep so I'm assuming they are connected somehow.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • fire915fire915 Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2001 Nav. and would like to find out how we could get better mpg some way. i read that the chips that are suppose to help it are not a good idea due to the fact they trick the computer to tweak certain sensors. thanks.
  • dukeydukey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Lincoln Navigator and as soon as you start driving the Navigation System kicks into safe mode so you cannot type the address in until you stop again and it drives me nuts. Does anyone know how to modify this so that you can always use it even if you are driving?
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Yeah, my 04 is the same way. Pathetic and stupid Mommy state lawyer thing. Another thing that torques me is they REFUSE to program my key fob so that it opens all doors with one push of the button. Lawyers again.
    I know of no way to fix this. If one could tell the Nav system that the car is always standing still then ...
    You can select from previous destinations while moving, not that that helps much. Last, I wonder - are all factory navigation systems like this? If not, no one should buy a Ford nav system until they allow us all to be treated as ADULTS.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Yes, George, all nav systems have the nanny screen. It's not Ford.
  • dukeydukey Member Posts: 2
    Nope, I also have an E320 with Nav and my buddy has an Acura Tl and both let you type while driving. I have a feeling it is in the wiring and just need to snip that wire but gotta find Car Audio people that have worked on them before.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks for this note. GD FORD. It is a ROYAL PIA to not be able to type on the screen while moving.

It could be as simple as 1 wire, although it also could be a data bus signal, in which case a mod to the firmware would be necessary.

The only Shakespeare quote I ever learned:

"First, we kill all the lawyers..."
    Having just gone through typing in a destination address sitting in the garage, I can't imagine trying to do that while driving. Now I could see letting the passenger do it but I guess that would be hard to differentiate.

I saw a module for GM vehicles (not made by GM) that not only lets you input addresses while in motion but also lets you watch DVDs while moving. Care to bet that they get sued the first time someone has a "not paying attention" accident with one of those installed?
    Hey Allen, first, Merry Christmas.

Now, yesterday I had to drive to 3 different customers homes to deliver some artwork. I had to take my old '95 Econoline van. While I did map quest before I left, plans changed midstream so I had to OMG, look at a map. Lemme tell ya, looking at a map while driving (and of course having to relook several times) is MUCH harder and more distracting than punching an address into the Nav screen once and following directions. If someone built a box that allowed me to override this FORD crap, I'd buy it.
    Now that I know that at least Acura and Mercedes treat their owners like adults in this fashion (I'd also love confirmation that the key fob unlocks all doors with one push) this becomes one more reason to eschew Ford vehicles in the future.
    Ford has built so many cars that have caused them to be sued that they apparently are scared sh_tless of lawyers. And this is now causing them to inconvenience their customers.
    As for getting sued, first, see my previous message, but since we cant do that, perhaps we could reform the pathetic jury system? Allowing lawsuits which essentially blame someone else for your own stupidity is non-sensical on it's face. Case in point - I wonder how many lawyers are calling the families of the three "Mt climbers" on Mt Hood? Here are 3 guys who go climbing a 12000 foot mountain in December for gawd's sake. How many millions of dollars have been spent trying to save them? How many more will be spent bringing their bodies down? How many lawyers are trying to figure out who to sue for not stopping these guys from doing this? Perhaps the US government? State of Oregon? Maybe the manufacturer of twhatever apparel and climbing gear they were using? SOMEONE else MUST be at fault for this. Just like if someone is watching Clockwork Orange behind the wheel of their Escalade. Must be Stanley Kubrick or GMs fault. At least lawyers would have a good chance of convincing a typical jury of that.
    I'm with you on the lawsuits, George. Does Acura and MB really allow full functionality while moving? I thought it was some type of federal mandate. I know you can't show video on a screen visible by the driver while it's moving - that's definitely illegal.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Actually last I checked, not all states outlawed watching DVD/TV in the dash and I suppose navigation system screens could be considered the same sort of distraction. (link - can't find a recent list).

Shakespeare is misquoted btw - Dick the Butcher was part of a mob of rioters who knew what they planned was illegal and figured if there were no lawyers they wouldn't get prosecuted. So the Bard meant that only the crooks wanted to get rid of the sharks.

Frost didn't say good fences make good neighbors either. :shades: (link). We can only guess what'd he pen about NAV systems and cell phones (hey honey, I'm at the fork; should I take the less traveled road or swing by the 7/11 for milk?).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Frost didn't say good fences make good neighbors either.

He may not have believed it but he did write it - twice! Mending Wall.

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Heh, Frost's neighbor said that. Frost even puts it in quotes when he writes it down on paper. :shades:

We really should be quoting "T'was the night before Christmas." Don't forget to go to Amazon and add a Navigator to your wish list.
    All very interesting. Now, can you two hosts *please* try to stay on topic?

:P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Thanks, HeyJ! We just exchanged TOUs. :)

tidester, host
  • d21winslowd21winslow Member Posts: 2
    Hi to all lincoln and ford fans im new to this site. and im looking at geting a 2004 navigator and it has the dvd sys. but no navigation and i find factory nav. units on ebay all the time would it plug right in or am i looking at some work. thanks for any imput or info
  • mollymommollymom Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 Lincoln Navigator which has sat up for a few months. The check engine light comes on and blinks 34 times (I think) :and the front end vibrates on take off. It smooths out after a little bit. Does anyone know why the vibrating? A tuneup is in order but any other info would be appreciated. Thanks, Hardaway
  • sschmidtsschmidt Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2003 Navigator and the fuse 109 (lumbar seast, seat memory, all seat controls, and mirror memory) keeps blowing and I cannot figur out why. I replace it and it works for about 1 min and then it blows again!!! I am 6'3 and my wife is 5'3 so The thing is locked into posistion way back making it very dangerous to drive.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Sounds like the motor or switch is stuck and builds up an electrical load until the fuse blows. Make sure nothing is stuck under the seat.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Does it just blow by itself after 1 minute or does it blow after you try to operate any of the controls on that circuit?
  • sschmidtsschmidt Member Posts: 2
    nothing uder the seat... and it is after I operate the seat... this is driving me crazy and I gotta get it fixed so my wife can drive the car...(its her car)

thanks again 4 ur help
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    So using the power seat switch causes it to blow but if you replace the fuse and don't use the seat, the fuse doesn't blow?
    Sounds like the motor is shot although it could be the switch. You could disconnect the motor and try the switch. If the fuse doesn't blow it's the motor. If it still blows it's the switch or the wiring between the switch and the motor.
  • jimenezmgjimenezmg Member Posts: 1
    I need to locate fuse box in my 2003 navigator, manual states it is on the rt hand side under the instrument panel. I tried looking for it with no success. Please guide.
  • frazierdfrazierd Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Nav and I installed a new K&N Filter, a fuel injection cleaning and I installed a Tornado and I can drive now to my home which takes about 4 and half hours with about a half of take of gas or just a little below that and before it was taking me down to a 1/4 of a tank.
    I have a 2003 Nav and I just change the alternator out and now the battery sign is displaying on my instrument panel. I had the battery check to see if it was still good and it was, so what do I need to do to clear the check the charging system and get rid of the battery display off of my instrument panel. I have alreay tried to disconnect the negative end from the battery for about a minute and then put it back on the battery end and it stills doesn't reset. Could someone please help to solve this problem.
    Do I just need to change out a fuse to get my fog lights to work and why is my 2003 Nav controls not illuminating at night inside the truck and where is the fuse or sensor located that needs to be replace.
  • litterlitter Member Posts: 1
    The manual is misleading. i searched for one hour. Sit in the passenger seat. It is on the forward side panel by your right foot. Grab the front edge and the panel pops off.
  • herc76herc76 Member Posts: 52
    I have a question. I think I know the answer but its nothing wrong asking. Is the 07 Navigator navigation system compatible to the 04 Navigator?
  • guy12guy12 Member Posts: 1
    It is misleading in the manual. It is actually under the passenger side of the dashboard, down where the passengers right foot would be. Remove the small panel against the right side wall, and the fuse box panel is behind it. Hope this helps
  • gritogrito Member Posts: 1
    hi frazied i have the same problem with my navigator did you ever get yours fixed and what was the problem
  • cheflpdocheflpdo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 navigator. The reverse warning system beeps constantly when in reverse. Dealer stated it was a backup sensors. I replaced them still the same problem. Any advise.
    Please help. Thanks
  • poolsiderboypoolsiderboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Navigator. Got an XM radio for Christmas. Is there a way to get an audio unput reasonably on this system? I have the Premium Ent. Sys. w/6cd changer.
  • scott99scott99 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if you can swap out the THX premium 6CD radio with the Sirus in the 2007 Navigator / Expedition and replace it with the Navigation unit or has done it before?

SUV comes with DVD, Satellite, Premium Sound and THX so if the CAN-bus does not have problems, the connectors are there and you can also swap the rear view mirror for the one with the mic it should work. Any Ford tech's out there...looking through the shop manuals, but want to make sure. Found a great deal on a used one, but it is missing this option only. I am better with transmission repairs.

Thanks!

PS. This is a duplicate posting in general forum incase people are not switching to the specific sub-forums.
  • vdiaz246vdiaz246 Member Posts: 1
    My engine light is blinking when I am traveling 45 or higher. When I am going slower, it stops blinking and just stays on. I have lost my manuel, and can not afford to take it to the shop. Any info I can get , will be very greatful. Thanks Virginia
    Wrong forum, but it sounds like a misfire. Autozone will read the codes for you for free. Probably the coil(s) or fuel pump.
  • freshnavfreshnav Member Posts: 1
    hello to all,

Does anyone know if the 2004 navigation system is compatible with the 03 navigator or where I can buy a navi system for a 03 navigator.
  • bonnie_richbonnie_rich Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, I can't find anything on here about this.
    I have an 03 and want to add the Navagations system.
    Scared to buy a used one without knowing if it will work.