Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper Accessories & Modifications

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Accessories/mods, anyone?

Comments

• bikerider1bikerider1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm placing an order for an S. I am opting for the Sport package, leather seats, sport steering wheel with cruise, and Electric Blue finish. Later I'll look into performance mods, such as exhaust and intake upgrades, hopeing to add about 10 to 15 HP. Dan
  • the_manthe_man Member Posts: 15
    Modifications can do a lot for your Mini. Staright fromthe factory you could opt for the John Cooper Works Package. The works is sold straight fom MINI and when it is put with the coopers S BHP is increased to 200. The "Works" package sells for 4,500 USD.

For only $5,000 you can purchase a Stage 3 Power Pack from Mini Madnes. It increases Power from 163 in the cooper s to 245 with the power pack instaled.

Another route you could go, would be to do an engine swap. Now, I have not done my homework to see what can fit in the engine bay, but lett me give you some options.

-VW VR6-- A narow angle V6 that is easily modified.

-Porsche flat 6-- It is a small engine with lots of power. In the Porsche gt2 it makes about 480 bhp with the help of twin turbos. SO, installing a turbo on this engine could give your MINI some monster power.

(Bothe engines mentioned will need Different engine mounts and depending on the power of the engine may require you to reinforce your chassis.

other modifications-
    -header
    -NOS (nitrus oxide)
    -preformance exaust
    -Turbo/Super charger
    - Bigger and drilled "brembo" disk brakes
    -Air filter
    -Armrest
    -MOMO steering wheel (i don't like the way the stock wheel feels ni my hands)
  • nmgridlnmgridl Member Posts: 12
    I bought and installed a center armrest from woodcompanyusa.com in my girlfriends MINI. I thought it was well built, and installation was quick. As the bracket goes into the rear center cup holder, its use in now limited. Rather that the top being hinged at the rear, it slides forward. The advantage of this is that it make the "box" more useful as an armrest. The disadvantage of this that due to the opening being at the rear of the unit, access into the box is awkward. To center the box during installation, I suggest doing so with the front seats all the way back. It makes it easier to see the clearance. The company was very pleasant to deal with.
  • coopermancooperman Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a mini S '04 for 2 months, and I'm already addicted. I tested the Mazda rx8, the Acura TL, the Honda S2000, and amazingly, considering the price of course, the Mini S is a much more fun and responsive than all of them. Now, how do I get my mini to go faster? I'm an amateur race car driver with some funds. I need to find an all-in-one place where I can get advice, parts, etc., on how to take my mini's performance to the max, but I have not yet found such a place. Does it even exist? As a mini newcomer I have not in-depth knowledge of what I'm pursuing except the fact that I want the fastest mini around. Thanks for your comments and help.
  • adeitchleyadeitchley Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering getting a base Mini. I already have XM in my other cars and home, and use the same receiver for all locations. I really don't want to opt for Sirius on my Mini as a result ($$ up front and additional subscription). I thought I would add the auxiliary jack accessory to the Mini and plug my XM Roady receiver into it.

But--does anyone know my risk for engine noise? It's terrible in my 96 Accord with a crappy stereo that has an auxiliary input, even after we directly wired the power supply for the Roady into the dash instead of using a cig lighter. Engine noise is not a problem in my 99 Gr Cherokee with a good stereo where I use one of those cassette adapter things. Should I upgrade to Harman Kardan in the Mini to reduce the potential problems, maybe? And I'm forgoing the wheel audio controls, right? Or will volume still work?

I think I will lease so I can't do drastic stuff to the Mini.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    I just ordered an '05 Mini. Althought I got every option available (except Sport Package - I didn't want the run-flats so I got everything else in the package seperately) but there are a few things that I wanted but weren't available.

In January '05 they will add a new "Convenience Package" which includes automatic headlamps. I assume it is the same ones that are now standard on all BMWs. I couldn't wait that long but does anyone know where/if I can get this added on to my MINI? I'm coming from larger GM cars and haven't had to turn on my headlamps manually for well over 10 years!

Also, are there some good places to get a nice armrest/console? I got the Cordoba Leather and I haven't seen any in that beige.

Thanks!
  • crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    mfullner, If you have your order number you should go to the MINI USA site and register at the MINI owners' lounge. You will find that forum much more knowledgeable in all areas of MINI ownership. I have found that very few owners post here and only owners/buyers can post on the MINI owners lounge.
    Oh, and before I forget, Congratulations on your order. Do you have a name for him/her yet?
    I haven't heard of an add-on for the auto headlamps.
    I have the euro style armrest from Moss MINI (www.mossmini.com)but as far as I can tell, it is only available in black.
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Actually I don't have the order number yet. I'll have to ask for that. Not sure how long it takes to get it.

They are changing the individual options of Homelink, Auto Dimming Mirror, Rain Sensing wipers in January to a "Convenience Package" which includes all three plus automatic headlamps. I don't know why that, and the automatic for the S are January phase ins. I was a bit bummed but I can I can turn on and off my own lights if I have to.
  • hollyghollyg Member Posts: 6
    Hi My mini just came in. The salesperson has asked me to consider an "autobahn bra" to protect the front of the vehicle. Also insurance on the run flats and rims. Are either of these important? Thanks
  • padpad Member Posts: 7
    The bra is a good idea and will protect your car paint from chips. I bought one years ago and can attest to it being worth 100 bucks.

The tire insurance is a pile of crap and I would not buy it even if I won the lottery. Still no MIni here, but maybe soon.
  • padpad Member Posts: 7
    Did they change the gearing in the manual 5 speed if so, what rpm's does the 05 turn at 65 in the 5 or 6 speed? The 04 is around 2,800 and the cabin noise is sedate. Also what options do people find they can not live without and which are a waste of money ? Also What do people think about the run flats versus the reg. rubber ? Thanks in advance.
    I don't like the run-flats. Way too stiff! I'll most likely replace then with regular tires long before they are worn out.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Is there a MINI dealer-installed alarm? Has anyone bought one? How good is it (feature-wise)? Does it come with one of those 360 degree flashing LED on the rear view mirror ala all BMWs. Of all the MINIs I've seen on the road, I don't think I've seen one with any fhashing LED to indicate there is an alarm. It can't be that no one has an alarm. MINI owners must want to protect their rides! Even Hyundais have alarms!
  • christopher35christopher35 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone heard if any near future design changes to the the Mini include an AWD package?? If so, I will be the first in line to trade my Saab 9-2X Aero for one.
  • lisalevlisalev Member Posts: 5
    I'm new to this forum. My husband left his front floor mats at the car wash. I want to buy him some new ones but not the factory kind. I was thinking coco mats. Also, what do you think about after market arm rests? I
  • miggsmiggs Member Posts: 1
    just bought my friend's 2003 cooper S,fully loaded with the John Cooper Works kit. This baby was ordered (one color)blue metallic with chrome mirrors & gaz cover & tinted windows.Now I'm looking at this street legal go-kart and I'm thinking spinner wheels!!! Is this possible in 17 inch. If not,will 18 inch fit with 4 lugs,should they be positive offset??? Is there a web site that will ship to Canada ??.many questions.hope to have a few responses.thanks in advance.
    MINI wheel specs:
    Bolt pattern = 4x100
    Offset of +40 to +45

OPINION: Most MINI owners try to reduce wheel weight to improve handling and acceleration. Spinners have GOT to be heavy, probably too heavy for a MINI. I know I would laugh out loud at a MINI with spinners :D , but that's just me.
  • lve2mtrxlve2mtrx Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have an 05 Mini Cooper S, and am looking for a little more performance without having to modify my motor too much. I've heard that I may be able to turn up the pressure on the supercharger to get more boost, although I heard that the release valve may release the pressure before it actually gets to the motor. I was just curious to see if anyone had experimented with this and if it's worth investigating. Thanx.
  • godoygodoy Member Posts: 2
    Has any one out there have any experience with roof racks, factory or others, i.e., Yakima, Thule.

How is the factory rack installed?......drill permanent holes into the roof???

Would you recommend factory over after market???

Thanks in advance.
  • minilunaminiluna Member Posts: 10
    Hi Hollyg.
    I have the tire insurance in my mini S, why do you feel it is no good.
    Thanks,
  • fritz5fritz5 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Lve2,
    I have a 04 Mini Cooper S and had the following changes done.
    Changed SuperCharger Pulley
    Changed AirFilter to an open one
    Changed Exhaust system to Borla
    Adjusted Electronic

I have little bit over 200 horses now. My work was done by HELIX Mini Sport.

http://www.helix13.com/html/products/products.php?h=m

Cheers,
    Mike
  • minitechminitech Member Posts: 11
    Im not sure about all that with the valve thing, but I think your car is going to throw major faults. Look into a smaller diameter blower pulley.
  • lestradelestrade Member Posts: 10
    are you happy with the euro armrest?
    all the others are very expensive
    mossmini web site says installation is easy, is that the truth?
  • toasty12toasty12 Member Posts: 1
    fritz5--
    Could you tell me how much each of those cost?
    I'm thinking of at least going Borla on exhaust. Not sure about other things. I'm not entirely sure how much it would cost to change to a Borla exhast, either. Thanks.
  • isabellaminiisabellamini Member Posts: 1
    It's surprising that the dealership doesn't advise you to get an alarm. People want these cars.

I just got my convertible top ripped by some jealous person.

I got an alarm two days later. I got it at the dealership. They gave me the price of $650. however, when I dropped of the car, they stated that it cost 800 dollars.

I got upset and it only brought the price down to $750. (BMW of towson--not too happy with their service)

The service guy didn't even show me how it works. I had to find him.

Then he states that when I lock it, it starts the alarm. Then I unlock it, the alarm disengages.

HOwever, I complained to the dealership that the alarm doesn't work (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!)

Then they said, "Oops. We forgot the LED flashing light that goes on the turning signal. please come in.). It took 10 mintues for it to be fixed.

Then the repair guy actually came by and explained it to me.

It takes the computer 10-15 minutes to "read" what's in the car. If someone reaches in to get something and the weight distribution changes, the alarm sets off.

it just doesn't help when you're a woman. . .

I was being screwed over without the sex. . . explain that to me. . .
  • bfromholdbfromhold Member Posts: 38
    Isabellamini ~

Sorry to hear your misfortunes. I just took ownership of my brand new MINI nearly 3 weeks ago (Moritz MINI in TX). I was charged $495 to have the alarm installed, and I've had no problems with it so far (hopefully it'll keep working... I've tested it a few times). Mine activates right away just as soon as a door or window is opened. I was given the original "turn signal" arm to keep as a souvenir.
  • coastalcoopercoastalcooper Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Cooper with run flats and got the insurance when I bought the car. Glad I did because I got a flat and insurance paid full replacement cost ($250).

I too was wondering about getting a bra. No chips yet but lots of bugs here in NC. Anyone have any experience with the bra made by MINI vs other companies? Problems with scratching the paint? Could I leave it on all summer in the heat and only remove it in the winter when bugs aren't so plentiful?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Sorry for the late reply (I guess neither one of us follow this thread closely!! :blush:) But since I last posted we have leased a MINI, and have negotiated a MINI alarm to be included at 1/2 price (about $300 if I recall). It's basically the standard-issue BMW alarm and it's worked great! It sounds like the same setup as yours, comlete with the big red LED on the turn-signal stalk. However, there appears to be one difference (probably because yours is the convertible). Ours has a motion sensor that senses motion, rather than weight shifts, inside the car. But it reacts almost instantly.

Cheers!
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I too was wondering about getting a bra. No chips yet but lots of bugs here in NC. Anyone have any experience with the bra made by MINI vs other companies? Problems with scratching the paint? Could I leave it on all summer in the heat and only remove it in the winter when bugs aren't so plentiful?

You should try using Bounce fabric softening sheets, just wipe the front end of the car with the sheet, then wipe the bugs off with another sheet, they come right off with no drama. It works great and is real cheap since bounce is in most peoples homes already. I use it now and would never ruin my car with a bra. The bra will give you two tome paint and it'll look ugly. Just use the Bounce sheets and when you wash the car after it's dry remember to rub the sheet back on it again. Really works!
  • coastalcoopercoastalcooper Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! I'll try it.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    Thanks! I'll try it.

Be sure to use Bounce BEFORE you go out driving as it makes removal easier since the bugs will come off easier. If you use it afterwards only it's not much help. Wipe it on then after driving, wipe it off, then wash and repeat.
    Hope it helps
  • pgguypgguy Member Posts: 11
    Should receive my 2008 Cooper S convertible in about one week. Want info on replacing run flat 17's with a more comfortable tire and selling the run flats that the car will come with. Any info much appreciated
  • austincoopersaustincoopers Member Posts: 1
    I've just ordered a MCS with a sunroof and have been reading the various opinions about them from past threads. I live in Austin, TX, so I will likely need to tint the roof glass and perhaps use an aftermarket sunshade in the summer. The San Antonio dealer also mentioned a customer who found a company that created a second layer of fabric that they attached by velcro to the stock sunroof shade and that retracts right along with the shade. What I'm wondering about now are the comments from some who mention sunroof seals cracking or leaking. Has anyone actually experienced this with Minis or is this just a general concern about sunroofs?
    received my 2008 S convertible 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately, yesterday it was towed to the dealer. A "belt" in the engine disintegrated and couldn't be driven. Anyone hear about problems with supercharged engine belts? Thanks
  • miniwoody72miniwoody72 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 and put sirius in it. Connected to Aux input. works great.
  • morgan5morgan5 Member Posts: 13
    I'm thinking about switching from run-flats to regular tires on my '06 S when the time comes. I have heard that the car rides a little smoother and handles a little better with regular tires. To compensate for the lack of a spare, I see there are compact kits which contain a can of tire sealant and a small compressor that gets power from the lighter. Has anyone had experience switching from run-flats to regular tires on an S? If so, do you recommend others doing it?
    I have an 08 S convertible with 5000 miles. Just put on a set of Avon 205-45-17 non run flats. I haven't yet noticed a significant difference in ride quality or noise reduction. I first tried Goodyear non run flats and they rode harder than the run flats that came with the car. I still have the Goodyear run flats that came with the car with 5000 miles on them if anyone is interested.
    Anyone have any info on when new convertible will be available and configuration of top?
  • ticatica Member Posts: 64
    Hi
    I have a red mini with white roof (2007). My lease is up and I ordered another red one with a red roof (2008) that is not here yet. I was thinking about getting white strips on the hood. However, I know that most people only have stripes to match the roof. Will white stripes and a red roof look funny?

thanks for feedback..
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I have a red mini with white roof (2007). My lease is up and I ordered another red one with a red roof (2008) that is not here yet. I was thinking about getting white strips on the hood. However, I know that most people only have stripes to match the roof. Will white stripes and a red roof look funny?

Can't say about a red top, but my wife has a red Mini convertible with white stripes and black top, and it looks great!
  • MCS_FanaticMCS_Fanatic Member Posts: 1
    I am currently an owner of a 2003 Mini Cooper S, fully equip with all the bells and whistles and best of all it has the dual glass sunroof. I live in Viva Las Vegas and with our excruciating 115 degree heat my poor Mini Cooper has a difficult time keeping the cabin cold with the A/C. This is due to the fact that the Mini Cooper's sunroof is only equip with a see through mesh screen, rather than a solid screen, used to cover up the cabin from the sun. I had thought about tinting the sunroof, but many professionals told me not to, since it may shatter due to the tempered glass not being able to accept the window tint's difference in temperature rating.

By now I am entirely fed up with my sunroof, so I went online searching for some kind of sunroof sunshade to protect my interior, and luckily I was only able to find a company that produce a good quality sun shade.

Visit their website:
    link title

I just recently ordered this sunroof shade and it works phenomenally. Forget the window tint, this is definitely the way to go.

MCS_Fanatic
  • leevitup2godleevitup2god Member Posts: 1
    Living in Austin you should really consider getting yourself a ZippeeShade!!! I just picked one up in Las Vegas at the AMVIV 6 car show. The ZippeeGear guys had a booth there and I'm so glad I got mine. It sure beats that crappy mesh screen that our Mini Coopers come with. Check them out, I think their website is link title :)
  • mathew1mathew1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi Everyone,

We recently purchased a Mini Club in Boston. Any recommendations on where to go to purchase quality stripes and get them installed. Is it better to order stripes online and get them installed at a local store. What stores would install them in Boston area? The car is chocolcate bwown with silver roof. So any aesthetic recmmendations would be helpful as well. Thanks for your help in advance.

-Mat
  • tsiggytsiggy Member Posts: 1
    I put in an Alta 19mm Rear Sway Bar and an M7 Strut Tower Brace...the car is much tighter and turn in is now very responsive. Looking at the Koni FSD for added control and comfort though the ride feels good right now..I'll let this settle and see how I feel about what's next.
  • tno80303tno80303 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

In the process of getting a '09 base MINI. Should I get just the Nose Mask or the Full Nose Mask? I'm leasing it so want to avoid the excessive wear/tear charges down the road. Thanks!
  • fkhn1fkhn1 Member Posts: 1
    2003 mini cooper s with 55,000km on it. spent 2800 C$ fixing fried wiring and tachometer due to water leak into the car from the sunroof. i had large puddles on passenger and driver's side.

had to take out all the roof lining and change rusted out wiring and electrical connectors.

according to bmw dealer technician - he blurted out that: all bmw's with sunroofs have the potential to have this problem. over time, all the rubber seals and joints shrink and thus start to come apart or come loose which allows water, wind etc to creep in.

there are tubes running down the A pillars, from the sunroof, in order to exhaust excess water.

if the rubber seals of the sunroof shrink and lets water in and subsequently, the components joining these tubes come apart - guess what - there is water in the car.

my car has little wear and tear. if this happens to a car like this - then what happens to a car with 120k km on it; the average for a car of this age?? i was under the impression that bmw's had great quality in materials, workmanship etc.
    not so sure about that anymore. cooper s , new, loaded still runs about 45k in canada. not a cheap second car i'd say.

i'd recommend prospective used car buyer to drench car in a drive through car wash and / or manual power wash and test if there is a water puddle on the floor: both passenger and driver's side. if so, discount the car by C$ equivalent 2800 for sure to get it fixed.
  • snicker2snicker2 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 MCS with the Borla Catback Exhaust system. Recenty, I discovered that the after market exhaust intake boot had a tear in it and the tech suggested putting the factory box back over the intake, which he did. Does anyone know how this affects hp, if any or how it affects anything? Obviously, I don't. I guess my main concern is, with the Borla system, do I need some other type of Intake Boot besides the factory one? Thanks for your input.
  • snicker2snicker2 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2002 MCS with the Borla Catback Exhaust system. Recenty, I discovered that the after market exhaust intake boot had a tear in it and the tech suggested putting the factory box back over the intake, which he did. Does anyone know how this affects hp, if any or how it affects anything? Obviously, I don't. I guess my main concern is, with the Borla system, do I need some other type of Intake Boot besides the factory one? Thanks for your input.
  • sidwaysidway Member Posts: 6
    my 2009 Mini John Cooper Works has a rear view mirror that is SO HUGE it partially blocks vision forward....it contains the remote door lock electronics ......any suggestions for a source for a smaller mirror ?
  • dpunneodpunneo Member Posts: 1
    I just got a power chip on e-bay and the paper work said to install it in the plug-in for the ITA sensor ? Ok but I'm not sure where it located at? Somewhere on the intake box? :lemon: