Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz SLK

merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
The new SLK350 has a 272hp V6 and new 6speed manual, new SLK55 AMG has a 360hp V8. Sadly no manual on the AMG V8 version.... Stylewise it's just the spy pics have indicated all along, and evolution of the current car with one major change, a SLR style front end. New Airscarf system keeps your neck warm during colder top down driving (!). New 7G-Tronic tranny optional for SLK350, and (standard) for the first time on a AMG product the SLK55 AMG. The V6 is an all new direct injection unit, MB also went back to 24V/DOHC technology, along with whole host of other tricks. The new car should surpass the 300K+ sales the old SLK did since it's fall 1996 launch.

M

Comments

• amathew2000amathew2000 Member Posts: 1
    It is a welcome change in direction that they have decided to bring in a V6 with 6 speed manual transmission. I have this attitude filters down to other Mercedes models too.( I know about the existing C class and SLK stick shift models)

I might be in the look out for one ( If it handles like my Honda S 2000.)
  • azcarateazcarate Member Posts: 1
    Ok this car is HOT!!! I am in the market for a convertible... I was pretty much set on the BMW 330 until now :o)

When can we expect this car to be released in USA? Is the $ going to be increased dramatically?

The SLK is a great looking car! Does anybody have any pictures from the interior of this car?

Thanks,
    Cristian
  • tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    I won't be surprised if there is a large increase, especially given the euro appreciation. I'd guess at least $52k for slk350 and $55 with G7. That'll a heck of money. I'd love to have one, but I may have to settle for s2000...
  • tksungtksung Member Posts: 34
    According to http://www.carbc.com/Car-News-680.html, it's $55k for the base slk350. Add initial markup, it could be $58k. A lot of premium for the badge and the good look. Im definitely off to S2000...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'd just wait for something official from Mercedes, because if those prices are right the SLK320 to SLK350 is going to be a 10K leap! That doesn't sound right, nor does 82K for a SLK55 AMG, per that link above.

M
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    The Z4 tops out at 225HP, and no hardtop.

The Boxster is around $50k, with less power and softtop.

Who is the SLK's comp? I'd charge $50k+.

DrFill
    Could be true, the new SLK appears to have taken a huge leap foward in interior quality, layout and design compared to the old car. There are new pics at germancarfans dot com.

I'm just waiting to see what the press has to say about a stick shifted 272hp (SLK350) Benz. Should be a revelation, for a Benz that is.

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's on its way (well, nearly), so this discussion has been reactivated by request.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    Car styling is subjective, but to me the new car is just plain sexy while the old one is just old. The new 3.5L V6 generates impressive hp AND torque numbers, and is a vast improvement over the old 3.2L. The new 7 speed auto appears to be designed to offer the performance of a 6 speed manual. With 0-60 in around 5.5 seconds, if they make the new rack-and-pinion steering system sufficently sporty, then this should be a sweet coupe, much less a hardtop convertible!

The only question is what the new prices will be. If Mercedes offers this starting around 47-50k USD, then they might just get my next car purchase.
    Well that is exactly where it will be priced so get your checkbook ready!!!!

M
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    The SLK 3.5 is a HUGE improvement over the old 215HP v6. It looks HOT too.

As long as MB gets rid of those 600 useless electronic functions and ups its reliability, they've got nothing to worry about from Bungled BMWs or Lexus.

In terms of looks, there is NO contest.
  • wvubenzwvubenz Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know how the SLK performs in winter (snowy) weather? A past SLK or 2005 SLK? This is my main concern since it is rear wheel drive.
  • wvubenzwvubenz Member Posts: 2
    http://www.maybach.ru/slk/index_en.php?ind=35

i believe this is a site where you can find some interior pics.
  • mbenounmbenoun Member Posts: 4
    I was at the Mercedes-Benz Tennis at UCLA and they had a SLK350 in red. IT was gorgeous!!!
    If UK pricing is any indication (29,000 lbs for base price) ,the US price should be approximately 53K.
    That seems a little steep for a base price, I hope that was a well-optioned model. The SLK350 should start around 45K and top out at the price you saw.

The 220hp(?) SLK300 should start at 38K or so. The SLK should sell like nickel beer at those prices.

M
  • mbenounmbenoun Member Posts: 4
    I sure hope your correct. Otherwise, they might be pricing themselves out of the market.
  • ibmindlessibmindless Member Posts: 62
    I saw a new SLK350 on the road today. Silver, with the top down. Very sleek and stunning. I guess they're out now?
  • billymaybillymay Member Posts: 59
    I sold my '98 SLK230 in March, drove the new one last weekend. 268hp is a huge leap, even over the old SLK320. The additional size is a huge advantage -- much more comfortable, and the car has more presence on the road. As others have said, interior quality is markedly better.

Engine sound is amazing for a Benz - very throaty. The only demo available here was a 7 speed automatic, which I don't think I would order. It's a very busy gearbox, with the usual manual mode and "comfort" and "sport" modes. It kicks down multiple gears at a time when you step into the gas, and seems to have a mind of its own. I like automatics, because I'm comfortable controlling kickdown with the accelerator, but I never quite felt like I was in control of this one. This also seems like a lot of complexity destined to fail. Fortunately the standard 6-speed is supposed to have been nicely redone.

If you're careful with the options, you should be able to park one in your garage for under $50K plus tax. The dealer here in San Diego is selling them at MSRP. Compared to the Lexus SC430 and the Cadillac XRL, that seems like a smoking deal.

Back at the dealer: I didn't flog their demo, because it had less than 300 miles on the clock. But M-B's quote of 5.4 sec to 60mph seems reasonable. This is a fast car. While the outgoing SLK320 never felt that much faster than the SLK230 (though it sounded better), this one would have my old SLK for lunch. It also sounds good at idle, cruise or full throttle acceleration.

Today I surfed over to Porsche's new Boxster introduction on their website. 240hp for the '05 Boxster, 280hp for the S. 0-60 for the SLK and the Boxster S are within .2 sec. Makes me wonder about the price difference. For once, I think M-B has given a non-AMG product ample power. Kudos for that.

From initial photos, I was concerned M-B had overstyled the nose. In person, it looks classic. The character line on the side swoops down nicely into the front fender and smacks vaguely of Lamborghini (but far more subtle). The small size makes the whole assembly even more pleasing than the widely admired SL. You can actually look over your shoulder and get a decent view due to a larger rear quarter window -- still small, but an improvement.

The demo was silver with black leather. It's a handsome car, but I don't know if I'd get silver again. It's TOO popular. I can't wait to see it in black or one of the dark blues -- should look amazing. The dual tailpipes are tasteful -- jury's still out on the four pipes on the AMG, which seems a little Corvette-like.

My first impression: Great power, great sounds, very sharp styling. Controls are much more intuitive, although the odometer reset is diabolically hidden. (And why exactly anyone would need "four-zone climate control" in an open car this size is beyond me.) Mercedes really did its homework this time. If quality holds up, the new SLK should be a winner.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    by request.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Any 2005 SLK owners here care to discuss the reliabity of their cars so far?

M
  • amgnutamgnut Member Posts: 16
    6 weeks & 795 miles on my SLK55. I was pulling into my driveway and the transmission (7 speed auto) spun free as if I was in neutral. I sat dead for a minute, then decided to change from "cruise" mode to "sport" mode to see if it would get into a gear. This gave me first gear and I was able to get the car into the garage.

After about an hour I had more time to check out the problem. In cruise mode there was no response, in either forward or reverse. In sport mode (or manual) I had reverse & first gear only. The transmission tried to change to second, but spun free as second gear tried to engage.

I called Tele Aid, their best guess was that I went into "limp home mode" and sent a tow truck. As I read my owners manual, limp home mode should enable second gear only and since that was not the case, I disagree with their assumption.

I was towed to the dealer (on Saturday), all I could do was to leave the car for the service department on Monday. I was asked to back the car down off the flatbed from the driver, which I gladly did. I noticed something strange at that time. The transmission was working in cruise mode, although I was not able to go off lot - so who knows about upshifting. Since previously there was no response at all in cruise mode - my guess is the problem may have disappeared when I got to the dealer.

I decided to leave the car and have it checked out. I need to know whats going on.

I have also noticed that the parking assist (passenger side rear view mirror tilts downward in reverse) stopped working around week two. I double checked, and yes it is turned on.

Today is Sunday. I'll be speaking with the dealer tomorrow. I will keep you informed.

Hopefully (not to regret my decision) amgnut
    I hope so too that you won't regret the purchase. Sounds like to me the same electrical glitch stuff MB has been killed for. I doubt if a new tranny blew out unless you've been doing some really naughty driving....

M
    naughty driving? I wish - first 1000 miles recommended "cruise/comfort" mode only on the tranny. No sport or manual modes, partial throttle & keep RPM's down. I'm pretty good (at least 80 - 90 % of the time) & not too hard the rest of the time. I've been waiting for the first service (1000 - 3000 miles) to begin pushing it harder.

Service advisor called & said they had to replace a valve body in the tranny. I was not aware of the need to re-program the adaptive transmission after its replacement. Advisor said 50 miles of driving (programming) minimum? Said standard operating procedure is the shop foreman drives it home overnight?!? Over my strong objections, advisor says its the only way they will re-program tranny. Sounds like a joy ride to me - but then again what do I know about MB, this is my first one!

I only hope the shop foreman has read the correct break-in procedure in the manual.

Advisor says he will call me tomorrow & let me know where we're at.
    It seems that in 2004 MB started putting the 7-speed automatic tranny in SL500's. 05 SL500 have them too. I've been reading old boards and have seen posts about the tranny getting stuck in first gear? I just spoke with the assistant service manager, and yes, the SLK 7-Speed tranny shares the same platform as SL's & E-class.

Can anyone share tranny problems & fixes on any 7-speed automatic's?

Thanks -
    That is very disappointing to read about. This shouldn't happening. All the 2004+ "500" models, S,E,CL,SL, also S430 and the 2005 CLK500 and also the 2006 CLS500 all have the same 7-speed tranny. The SLK55 is the first AMG product to have this tranny which might explain the problem? This is the first time I've heard of this on any of the MB boards I read. I hope its fixed.

M
  • dsbdsb Member Posts: 4
    I had the same exact problem. I posted this on another site:

Just got my slk350 yesterday and cant stop looking at it! However, I ran into a problem today. I have the auto and was driving in C mode; not using the paddles at all. Anyways, the car shifted fine from 1-2,2-3, then the car kept changing gears like it didnt know if it wanted 2 or 3 or 4. It lunged forward then back (not harshly) and went into neutral. I pulled over and turned off the car. Once restarted, I didnt have any problems. Has anyone of you experienced this? I hope it was once in a lifetime but not quite sure how to handle it. Of course, I will inform the dealership. Any thoughts?

Since that episode, I have informed the dealership of the situation. It has worked fine since but leaves me wondering if it will come back. I am going to make an appointment this week. However, I hardly doubt they will witness the same problem. I wonder if I 'reprogrammed' the tranny myself. I have driven approximately 50 miles since the problem and everything seems fine now. I too will keep you all posted.

As a side note, I should mention that I love the looks, feel, and the fact I have only seen one other 350 on the road. Glad I didnt get the boxster. I see those everywhere I look!
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Took delivery a week ago. Almost bought a nice preowned slk320. Changed our mind at the last minute. Glad we did. My wife has always wanted a convertible & she is thrilled to death.Silver with berry interior. No problems so far. Cannot believe that we are getting 22-23mpg around town.In the country 25-26. Not bad for 268hp.
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    It may have been a mistake to put that tranny in the AMG car. Time will tell. This is the first I've heard of any problems with this gearbox. So far, the story I heard was the torque was too much for 7 speeds, and the 5 spd would remain in those AMG cars. None of the V-8 cars have had major problems with it.
    Picked up my SLK55 from the dealer. Had to replace valve body assy, valve body tubing & filter. Also performed "ED Shifter position learning".

Drove home, seems fine. Almost feels like shift points are slightly different, but wouldn't swear to it (adaptive transmission?).

dsb - dealer said programming was technical, but did not give any details. Diagnostic should show the code as far as I can tell.

stroudman - I read on SL500 board of an '04 with very similar problem. Probably an isolated problem.

As I push over 1000 miles I intend to test the limits of my car. I'll keep you all posted of my experience.
    Yes please do keep us informed.

M
  • dsbdsb Member Posts: 4
    Okay, I dropped off the car at the dealership today. They diagnosed it and found an error code with the transmission. They were unfamiliar with the problem and will be contacting the engineers before they continue. Sadly, I expected some possilble issues with MB and therefore I am not totally upset. I told my wife that I expected it to fail before my 04 toyota. However, I didnt think I would have an issue this early. Nonetheless, we shall see when I speak to them tomorrow. I am hoping it is a programming error and requires no physical repair. If they have to drop the transmission with only 200 miles, I consider that a serious problem regardless if this is a new model. Again, I will keep you posted.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    Can you confirm whether or not a golf bag will fit in this car? I assume not, which is why I have not considered cars like this. I do however like the new version.
    Unless you're really tall, one set of clubs should fit in the trunk with the top UP. With the top down, no.
    When does the SLK280 arrive? Is the 227hp estimate correct?

M
    Any updates?

M
    I'm still getting conflicting reports about whether it will be a 280 or a 300, hearing a little of both. I do think either way that is close if not correct on the hp rating.
    1350 miles - been trouble free since tranny repair - about due for first free check-out.

I am curious about DSB's tranny problem.
    As we get some wnter snow I will have to change from my OEM Michelins--summer tire-- to an all season tire by next fall. Any recommendations? Have looked @ Tirerack site & Pirelli P Zero Nero seemed a good replacement. TR also recommended it over the phone.

Either I have to sell my Michelins or run them & change to a winter tire & then back again in the spring until they are worn. Ideas?
  • therose400therose400 Member Posts: 20
    I am looking to lease an SLK 350 within the next 6 months. Does anyone know when the "end of model year" is for MB? Thanks so much!
    Rose, you can expect a new '06 slk in or around the 1st week of sept. Also, if you don't quite need that much motor, an SLK280 will also be in the offerings, and still should have plenty of giddy-up, for less money.
  • therose400therose400 Member Posts: 20
    Can't find a picture of this car anywhere! Is it being released in the U.S. and is it a hard-top convertible? Price is not really an issue....
    The SLK280 will be the same as the SLK350 in everything except engine. Expect about 227hp instead of 268 in the SLK350.

The SLK280 should be here sometime this summer.

M
  • standersonstanderson Member Posts: 1
    I usually get that feel if it's not warmed up for a few minutes in the morning.

I have had mine 2 weeks and love the ride and waiting for warmer weather. I get many complements on looks and style espically the new front end SL look.
    Whats going on? Anything to report? Trying to get a feel for Mercedes' supposed to be improved reliablity.

Mileage? Any further likes/dislikes?

Also there is a glowing review of the SLK55 AMG in the June issue of Car and Driver. They didn't like the stiff ride, which is to be expected with any sporting machine in and around Detroit. Their roads are about the worst I've seen. They also said that 7-Speed jolts a little during deceleration because its downshifting through the gears. Anyone here notice that? I think that was all they didn't like. They were all for the styling, engine, handling, brakes, interior quality (so good to hear) and they did say the how the 7sp does a great job otherwise. Look at the 30-50mph and 50-70mph times and you'll see the theory behind 7 gears at work! The cars seems to be a big hit for Mercedes, which is really needed. It seems that its built like a Benz should be, now all we need is the reliability stuff from you owner folk.

Stroudman, any further info on the SLK280? None of the press material says whether or not it will use the 7G-Tronic for its automatic option. Any other real changes for 2006?

M
  • pathfinder4upathfinder4u Member Posts: 1
    I'll try to keep this brief.While in Latrobe, Pa three years ago my right brake light burnt out and I couldn't get the receptacle out.At the Mercedes dealer they replaced the entire console explaining that there was design fault in the wiring which keeps creating shorts and melting the plastic receptacle that holds the light. Well the lights keep burning out and I need pliers to remove it. I have been told by Mercedes dealers in Arlington, Va, Charlottesville, Va, and Myrtle Beach, SC the same story that is a design flaw in the wiring. In order to replace the consoles again they want me to pay $500 and are telling me that that won't solve the problem because it is in the wiring or something. This is a safety issue, why am I expected to pay for a manufactuers defect? I called the NTSB and asked if I manufactured a vehicle would I as the manufacturer be responsible for the required safety equipment if there were a defect in the wiring. Yes she said, but...when I called back and re-explained it as owning a Mercedes they became very vague. Are there any suggestions.
  • pfeifferpfeiffer Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone.

I've been enjoying my SLK 350 for a couple of months now. Everything has been great, except that the notice to "check oil level at next refueling" keeps coming on. The first time it happened, at about 1000 miles, I checked the oil level and it was a bit low, so I put in half a quart. When it came on again at about 1800 miles, I added the other half quart. Then at about 2900, I added another half quart. The manual stated that a new engine may consume oil. When I took the car in for its 3000 mile diagnostic check, they thought there was a problem, and replaced the sensor. However, it just came on again at 3300. Has anyone else had this problem?

Otherwise, I love the car so far. The service technician commented that mine was a "nice one!" He said people will buy the AMG 55 and not even get power seats. I have a Diamond Silver with red leather seats, premium package, comfort package, lighting package, AMG sport package, entertainment package, heating package, run-flat tires, and wood trim. I love, love, love the heating package and the wood trim. I don't like the CD changer in the glove box, because it takes up all the space. The sport package makes for somewhat of a bumpy ride at times, but it takes corners great; it just sticks to the road. Great price too. I paid the consumer reports invoice cost on the car and options, plus the IRG advertising fee. The dealer made their holdback. I was prepared to pay invoice plus 1-5%, and had even made a 5% over invoice cost offer to one dealer before I knew about the holdback, and they wouldn't deal over the phone, (of course.) It was worth it to order the consumer reports price guide on the car. I talked to every dealer within reasonable driving distance, (about 12 different dealerships) and ended up at the internet fleet departmet of the dealer I bought it from. Also, it was difficult to find a car with the options I wanted. Most of the ones sitting on the lot have two or three options at most. I wasn't originally planning on the sport or lighting packages, but they gave me some negotiating options since I was willing to walk away if I couldn't get it down to the invoice cost. I am very pleased to have ended up with both! The sport package really makes the car look ultra-cool.
    This is my wifes car & I can't pry it out of her hands. 7 spd. She puts the top up/down several times a week---sometimes a day.So far no problems. Have nav system. Works well but inst. book is terrible.

Wife loves the power & I think the looks she gets but she won'admit that.Even the mpg is good. Over 20 around town. A slight rattle in the rear somewhere that we haven't found yet but otherwise very tight.

Bought it as a resale from an independent dealer w/1800 mi on it.From the MB website I see where we can get extended warranty up to the first yr. Where is the best price for this?

Seems MB got this one right. Have steared clear of other 03-04 models as I have an 2001 E320 with no problems.

Only "problem"I have is that the SLK came with summer tires that I will have to dipose of & refit with all season tires. All season tires should be an option on this car. Any suggestions? Looking @ Perelli P Zero Nero recommended by Tirerack.

Read article about AMG model. I wouldn't trade. 350 has all the power & more that you need plus a good ride & handling that doesn't beat on you. Windblocker works well. Have reg headlights which I replaced bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars.

One goofey thing. CD changer is in the glovebox. Takes ALL the space. Looks as if it could have been put in the trunk as nav system is there w/no problems & there is space for it.
  • mikestevensmikestevens Member Posts: 17
    I 've looked at both the Z4 and the SLK 350. Clearly the SLK wins out on interior trim and of course, the retractable hardtop is a compelling feature, particularly since I live in the snow belt. But I'm still surprised by how wide the price differential has gotten on these models- given MB's reliability issues, do you think the SLK is worth 10K+ more than the Z4 3.0?
This discussion has been closed.