Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Question for C/K owners

z71z71 Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
ever converted a pre-1997 model c/k with the
heavier steering to the lighter steering of the
97-up models? If so, what all was involved?
Thanks!

Comments

• reeferreefer Member Posts: 37
    I had a 96 K1500 work truck and I found the steering to be fine. Now I own a 2000 K2500 with the speed sensitive power steering and I'm not so sure it's a good thing. My truck pulls to the left when I brake and go over minor road obstructions. The dealer had worked on the brakes and the alignment and tires but cannot eliminate the problem. It has been suggested that the speed sensitive steering might be the problem. I'd leave well enough alone if I were you and knew what I do. I don't see a big advantage over this steering and the way my old 96 steered.
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    1995 model and my dad has a 1997 model. I prefer the way his steers, but I was worried that this speed sensitive steering may give too many problems (his has already been in the shop once for it). I would still prefer to have mine steer like the 1997-up models, as long as the conversion wasn't cost prohibitive.
  • chevyck1chevyck1 Member Posts: 37
    Don't mess with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
    I'm improving it.
  • chevyck1chevyck1 Member Posts: 37
    I'll sell you my 99 C/K, at a good deal,
    and you don't have to worry about steering
    I'd have to worry about everything else!!
  • icymikeicymike Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine has a 96 Z-71 pickup and is having a slight problem with it. The four wheel drive stopped working after using it to get out of a hole. Has anyone ever had this problem or give me any advice? Thanks.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    if the truck pulls when breaking check/replace the front break hoses. Sometimes they do breakdown inside and obstruct the hydrolic fluid flow. Common problem with GM vehicles.
    I met brake not break.............duh
  • jsharp45jsharp45 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used '95 extended cab chevy with all the bells and whistles. Even though the drivers bucket is electric (complete with adjustable lumbar), I can't get comfortable. I think my prob is that I can't bring the back of the seat forward (upright) enough. I can tilt the front down (rear up), but that changes the seat (bottom) angle and and makes me feel as though I'm sliding out of the seat. I love the truck and got a great deal on it (17,075 miles), but will have to sell it if I can't find a fix for the seat. I've driven fords that will adjust to a 90 degree angle, far more than anyone would want. Any ideas? Also, more recently, the passenger bucket will no longer lock back once it slides forward to allow access to the back seat. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Oklahoma
  • 81chevy81chevy Member Posts: 37
    hello, everyone out there with early 90's Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton and 1 ton models with the 350 could you tell me about the truck, what you like/dislike about it, power etc, gas milege would be nice too.

thanks
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    I can't say for sure but I think that the 96 still had the gas cyl that heats up to put the four wheel drive in and they have to be replaced every so often as the gas leaks out. My nephew has had to get his redone 2 or 3 times in 120,000 miles. goood luck
  • buxterbuxter Member Posts: 2
    Adam, I actually have an '89 Z-71 and I love it.
    Got it from the original owner w/ 75k miles.
    A couple of things about the tbi 5.7L late 80/early 90s is a puff of bluish smoke when you start cold...nothing wrong, easy seal replacement altho it's not necessary. The other is the trans.
    If you opt manual,(I much prefer) the ball stud w/in the bellhouse will shear somewhere around 80-90k miles necessitating a complete clutch rebuild and a few replacement parts that GM improved over orig. GM knows that this happens, but after the fix your good for more than 100k of hard driving! The manual is otherwise bulletproof. The auto is more of a head-ache, it's typically a 700R4 which sucks unless you put a stage 2 shift kit in and replace a few other parts when it goes, which it certainly will whether you wheel or not.
    Good luck, I much prefer the older Z-71's to the newer, I got rid of my 97 w/ a 6.5 T diesel--yikes!
  • buxterbuxter Member Posts: 2
    by the way, Adam, mileage is about 17 +/- hwy with lots of power. I run platinum plugs and a k&n filter... saw 2mpg jump and more low end. the 5.7 TBI is an awesome motor, plenty of HP/Torque even for wheeling in rough conditions...I keep up with my Bro in his Jeep all day long. also run synthetic oil--your truck will appreciate it!
  • jag87xj6jag87xj6 Member Posts: 1
    Well, let's see...bought in June 99, Transmission toast June 2000, at 50000. Found out today a/c compressor toast. Steering has been a problem since birth, front end not so good. (GM did contribute $400 for transmission) But hey, for $21,000 what do you want? Check out Tahoes and Suburbans for these exact same issues. Great truck if GM would acknowledge problems and face the music....
  • fb1975fb1975 Member Posts: 1
    I was woundering if anybody out there knows anything about a recall on chevy trucks on the paint? I was told by few people that there was but have no proff of it . My 93 z71 has been a gem, with no major proplems so far. I do have paint chipping off in some spots and its driving me crazy,the rest of the truck looks good so it not the weather. If you know anything please respond to me, thanks
  • zee71zee71 Member Posts: 2
    Try writing to the Chevrolet zone office in your area describing the problem. I've seen this problem on my girlfriend's 88 Corsica and my own 91 K1500 Blazer. I sold the vehicles before I tried to correct the problem, but have had good luck writing to zone offices for other makes--such as Honda. The zone office is usually happy to help you, they are aware of all GM automotive problems in the field, it is not openly advertised they can help you ! At best they (GM) may pay for the paint job at your local dealer and you pay for the body work. They may allow you to choose any factory color past or present ! Make sure it matches your interior though ! Hope this helps. Call the dealer to find out the address of the zone office.
  • oneself79oneself79 Member Posts: 1
    Im considering purchasing a 1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. It has around 97000 miles, stepside bed, am/fm stereo w/cassette, power steering, a/c, 2 wheel drive, abs, power door locks & windows, bed liner, power steering, & tilt wheel. It is in excellent condition. The dealer said it hasn't had any problems for the last 2 or 3 years. But, is this a good truck for a 16 year old. Also, if you know of any common problems, could you let me know.

Thanks
    Jacob Stone
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Jacob
    I owned a '94, and the only common problems it had were 1) short lived Windshield wiper control board, and 2) Radiator developing leak ~100K miles.

you probably won't see the windshield wiper prob, but you may see the radiator leak. mine leaked between the core and the plastic side tanks. so keep an eye on that.

otherwise, the truck ought to be very reliable.
  • lalexmanlalexman Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the 1995 C1500 truck with heavy duty towing came with the KNP aux tranny cooler ?
  • rachealp1rachealp1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 1500 Silverado four wheel drive and I have been having steering problems since I have owned it! Of course, no one can seem to fix this problem or diagnose it. It has the speed sensitive steering and I believe this is the problem after reading the posts here. The steering is erratic. The wheel is sometimes normal to turn, and at others super easy. And I never know when it will be easy or hard, so corner ing is a challenge. Plus the problem is not an everyday thing, but a whenever the mood strikes thing, so sometimes garages can't diagnose it because it doesn't do it for a few days. Is there any fix for the speed sensitive steering? I have given up hope and am looking to trade mine for a 99 model.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    RACHEALP1

Sounds like the speed sensor is the problem. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I think it is some kind of orifice control internal to the pump. If it works sometimes, and then doesn't work, there could be a blockage of some sort. My guess is that the pumps can't be torn down, or its just not economical to, so a new pump would probably fix it.

Definitely check on exactly how it functions--if the speed sensing control is external, maybe differnent, but you need to find the whole system assembly from your service manager or whoever.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I think it came standard. Easy to find out, it looks like a little radiator that you can see through the grill on the passengers side.

Jim
    Those chevy truck have a known problem with the speed senstiive steering. Any competent mechanic can diganose and replace. I had mine done at the dealer for less than $100.
  • lb5663lb5663 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Chevy Silverado 4wd that blows the #10- ignition fuse when I drive on the freeway (approx 65 - 70mph). When I come to a stop (lost gas, power steering, but still have radio & air) lots of white smoke comes from under the front end. I replace fuse and can go up to 7 more miles and same thing happens. I replace fuse and wait 30 minutes "cool down" time and can drive back home at 60 - 65 mph with no problem. I've had diagnostics checked at two different shops, had computer replace w/updated software and it's still happening. Any suggestions?
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.