Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Suzuki Ignis?

a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
edited March 2014 in Suzuki
I was poking around at the USPTO (Patent and Trademark Office) search site last night, and I noticed that Suzuki recently registered the name Ignis for cars sold in the US. So I googled the name, and it this is what I came up with:

http://www.suzuki4.co.uk/ignis_html/ignis_framset.html

I happen to think this thing looks totally cool. It's a very small wagon/hatchback with 4WD! If they bring this thing over and sell it cheap, I bet they will do OK with it by pulling in people who can no longer afford a Subaru and miss their old '80s 4WD wagons. There is also a 3-door sport version (elsewhere on that site) that would likely appeal to the tuner crowd.

BTW, Suzuki says they are adding 9 new models by MY2007. So far they have:

1) 2004 Verona (on sale)
2) 2004 Forenza (on sale)
3) 2005 Reno (announced)
4) 2005 wagon based on Forenza (hinted at, not officially announced)
5) 2006 or 2007 SUV on GM Theta platform (hinted at, not officially announced)

That leaves 4 spaces. One might be a body-on-frame SUV to replace the Grand Vitara...and it looks like one might be this Ignis. Some other guesses I have (pure speculation) are the Daewoo Tacuma and a redesigned Aerio. Thoughts?

-Andrew L

Comments

• rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Hmm...Ignis in the US? I hope not, unless they do a full-redesign of it! Too many small cars for Suzuki. Last week (I think), I posted a message of what I learned from my Suzuki leader of upcoming future models of the 3-5-7 plan. I forgot all about the Forenza wagon! Thank's for putting it there!

rctennis3811 "Suzuki Aerio SX" Feb 28, 2004 1:42am
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    looks awefully small, but if priced right and has a decent interior, could be a hit among young teens (like my son)The 3 and 5 door look quite nice.
    you'll find tons of pictures of the Suzuki Ignis, nee Holden Cruze.
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    Doesn't anyone else think that is what is sorta looks like?
    a miniaturized Honda CR-V.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    This thing SCREAMS "HONDA CR-V"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is it coming or not? Has Suzuki confirmed plans?
    Suzuki is just trying WAY TOO HARD to sell their cars in the U.S. but no matter what Suzuki's are not liked by Americans and they are also ugly, i think that instead of adding new models to their line they should just leave the U.S. because what they are doing is loosing money on cars they dont even sell. From what i've heard Mitsubishi is not going to sell more cars in the U.S. i dont know starting when but the reason for this is because they dont sell their products. So Suzuki should or its gonna end up the same wasy as Mitsu.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    For heaven's sake, stop spreading bad rumors. Mitsubishi is not leaving the US and they sell 4 times what Suzuki sells. Mitsu just got a large sum of money to bail them out of current financial issues caused by loan defaults in this country.
    That's just what i heard. So dont be telling me what im doing right or not.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Well, I'm telling you your source is way off the mark and totally false. Posting bad info with no truth to it is spreading a bad rumor. If there was truth to it, then I could see your point in posting it. But posting your opinion on a company based on false second hand info is just not necessary.
    we're not doing anything except pointing fingers. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but let's not let it get out of hand.
    Thank You jchan2!! This is about opinions and what we've heard, not about how things are gonna be like for-real.
    What makes you think Suzuki is going to end up like Mitsubishi? They're gaining more sales every month, 5 new models in the upcoming years, new dealer themes, more than a 50% increase in their advertising budget, etc. Plus, GM is really taking a liking to Suzuki and Subaru - they're just ignoring Isuzu.
    What makes me think that Suzuki is gonna end like Mitsu is because they are not selling their products very much, but hopefully when they introduce their new models in the upcoming years they would start selling more and become a more liked car make by Americans. I remember when Hyundai was very disliked by Americans, once at the mall and i remember there was this little boy with his dad at the mall and the little boy said "dad i want to get in the car please let me get in" the car was a Hyundai by the way, and the little boy's dad said "oohh no son that car is a piece of [non-permissible content removed], look its a Hyundai" but now that the Sonata won the best quality reting from J.D. Power and Associates, a lot more people is considering Hyundai in their possible next car list. So thats just my point of view but hopefully Suzuki will do better. I personally like some of the Suzuki cars for example i like the new Verona and Forenza but they are not selling, i wonder why???
  • lil302000lil302000 Member Posts: 149
    As of the end of April Suzuki has sold a total of 24,302 vehicles an 18% increase from last year. Forenza has accounted for 6,485 units and Verona 4,827. Between Verona and Forenza they account for 11,312 units almost half of all year to date sales. I think the new models will only help their efforts. I don't know what their success will be in the US, only time will tell and there is allot of factors that will be key to their success. We must also consider that the Verona has entered into one of the most competitive segments in car sales, the mid size family car. I would say that they are doing ok all things considered. Wouldn't it be nice if they came out with a pick up?
    Yea, it would be nice if Suzuki came out with a Sport Coupe, A Pick-Up, a Convertible, and a minivan, why not?
    would be nice, of course, it can't be a rebadged Chevrolet Uplander, but maybe a Daewoo van?
    Instead of a rebadged GM van why don't Suzuki and Kia team up to create a minivan, with the redisigned Sedona coming up in 2006 Suzuki should team up with Kia and build two versions of that van, of course they cannot look TOO aliked like the 2005 GM vans cause those are all ugly. Im sure if Kia ans Suzuki team up to build a minivan they would come up with something good, because Kia got the luxury and Suzuki got the sportiness!!

ARE YOU LISTENING SUZUKI???????
    It doesn't seem likely that Suzuki and Kia would ever team up, but it is possible. And it would be smart. They both are in the same segement and they could learn from each other and try to create something that is best of both worlds.
    Yup!!! cuz if you think about it Kia ans Suzuki are competitors and each got a car that competes with the others car (Ex: Sorento - XL-7, Optima - Verona, Spectra - Forenza). I hope that they team up to make a anice minivan!
    From my knowledge, Suzuki's upcoming products include:

-A production version of the Concept S/S2
    -Compact SUV based on GM's Theta architecture (along with Vue/Equinox) to replace Grand Vitara
    -OFFICIAL SUZUKI XL7 replacement for MY05-or-06
    -OFFICIAL SUZUKI 4-cylinder sport coupe (against Celica, etc.)
    -possible Suzuki minivan based on GM's "new" midvans - discussions are underway...sadly --- Let's hope this doesn't happen.
    -crossover like Highlander

Anyone else know of upcoming Suzuki products?
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Do you have any further details on the 4-cylinder sport coupe? When oyu say "official suzuki" I assume you mean, not a Daewoo or GM product, correct?
    Man! I'd rather have Suzuki rebadge a Kia Sedona then have them sell a Suzuki Uplander. We already have enough versions of the exact same thing under the traditional GM umbrella, why do we need a sixth one?
    Suzuki has been promising dealers a TRUE OFFICIAL (not a GMDAT) Suzuki sport coupe. But lately, I've heard that it may just be a rebadged Cobalt coupe - which isn't a bad thing.
    Actually, a Suzuki midvan would be the 5th version. LOL

But yea, thank goodness it's only undergoing speculation at this time! :-O
    http://www.carbc.com/Car-News-803.html

This pops up over the net, I would buy that car in a heartbeat.
    Looks like a Mazda Miata kind of car, which is never a bad thing.
    Yup, I put my previous message that there would be a production version of the Concept S and Concept S2 - S is the hatchback, S2 is the convertible. Suzuki is trying to make this America's next big "icon" car like the MINI, Beetle, and Miata were.
    Whether FWD or AWD, I am really looking forward to seeing how the S/S2 turns out. Is it about the size of the Mini? I'm so curious what engine they will use and how they will price it.

I would happily buy the S over a Mini, nevermind a Beetle. Not sure about S2 vs. Miata, it will depend on how the S2 turns out.
    That's true. I think that it's a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine - but I don't know how much HP it has...
    wouldn't be bad. Maybe around 225 horsepower and 30 MPG?
    While 225HP would be nice, I'm expecting around 170-190HP. I don't think Suzuki is willing to pay the costs to put a bigger displacement engine with a turbo in there yet. Probably what we'll see is around a 1.8/2.0L inline-4 turbo. Still, 170-190HP isn't bad considering how small the car is!
    and how light the car is. Will it be light? And by the way, MPG numbers should be high since the car is so small.
    Sadly, I can't find the weight of either the Concept S or the Concept S2. :-( But, from this picture you can guess that it will weight about the same as a MINI Cooper, considering that Suzuki used a lot of motorcycle experience into designing this car.

looks like a Japanese MINI. Should weigh like one too.
    Hopefully, Suzuki can target their demographic for this car well with funky displays at autoshows and hip commercials and ads. I think they will be able to do this well because Suzuki has been increasing their advertising budget a lot lately. Looks like those new GMDAT products are really doing wonders for them!
    Mini cooper isn't that light, I hope that the Concept S can be lighter.
    Let's hope so!

BTW, just to let everyone know - the Concept S is featured in Gran Turismo 4. I can't wait to see how much it weighs and all the specs on it!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    This all sounds great. My hope is that Suzuki can produce more of its own products for the US. Having driven some of their cars in Europe (my in-laws own a wagonR and a Jimny)I know they can build good cars. I still own my 1996 esteem which has over 250k on the odometer. Problems have been few, mostly brakes, as the rotors are very small and should have been upgraded for the US market. The sports coupe is a great idea. The Van idea, well, as long as it isn't an already in place GM van. How about using the platform the cobalt and the ion are on? A actual mini van. about the size of the original chrysler caravan. I know I know... All you SUV and larger is better people will nay say it. I'm thinking gas mileage here. We rented a van not to long ago from Budget. it was a GM van and it was horrid. You could watch the gas gauge fall to empty. Smaller is better when your paying $2.50 a gallon.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    The Ignis looks good in person. Haven't driven one but it is nice. It is sold as a Chevy in some markets around the world. I think it would sell here to the open minded and the youth market. The guy that buys a Ford or Chevy truck will just laugh at it... While the guy in the Ignis is laughing at the guy in the Ford or chevy truck.
    Well, I bought a PS2 just for GT3, so I will definitely be trying out GT4 when it comes out.

I would love to see Suzuki become the other small car company in the US. Something they are already good at.
    :-D
  • bran_boibran_boi Member Posts: 8
    WHAT??? They want to replace the XL7????? Why???? Hopefully the Ignis will not be their only SUV. I love my Xl-7 I don't want them to quit making them. I would like to have one in a hybrid in a few years!!!!
    Well, the next generation XL7 or it's replacement (if it's called something else) will be based on the same GM platform as the Saturn Vue, Chevrolet Equinox, and upcoming Pontiac Torrent.
    rctennis-

If the next XL-7 is based on the same platform as the Vue, Equinox, and Torrent, does that mean it won't have a 3rd row seat? Because I don't think the Vue or Equinox has a 3rd row seat...
    Oops! I'm sorry, I meant the replacement for the Grand Vitara. The replacement for the XL7 is either a different platform or GM will stretch the Equinox/Vue/Torrent platform eventually.
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    The Equinox platform is already stretched. It's longer than the Vue.

-Andrew L
    Well, either way...Suzuki is planning to use it for some SUV!
    GM is really putting the Theta platform to use. So many SUVs using the same platform with different engines and badges. (Torrent, VUE, Equinox)
This discussion has been closed.