Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

carcarcarcar Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Personally, I don't get what Mercedes is trying to do with the new CLS!! First of all, it looks ugly, sort of an ugly knockoff of the future Lexus GS models. Second of all, Mercedes has the C, E, and S Class vehicles, each filling their appropriate market segment. It doesn't explain why they're putting the CLS out there. If people want a cheaper S Class, buy an E Class!! The whole "coupe yet sedan" look is just plain weird. Time will only tell if they will sell. Mercedes is going in the wrong direction with this vehicle. I think the new Grand Sports Tourer/R Class type thing will be a bigger hit and all that Mercedes needs for now.

Comments

• bretaabretaa Member Posts: 130
    I too am not quite sure what Mercedes is doing. My girlfriend has an old 190E, and I love it. It's clear and focused. Vault like structure, solid handling, stately appearance, smart engineering.

By contrast, I'm not quite sure what Mercedes is now, especially having seen them at a recent autoshow. Their styling seems to be going towards neuvo-avant garde, with some almost cartoonish like details. The interiors are just festooned with buttons, drowning out obvious "smart engineering." The new SLK interior, while stylish, looks like Mazda or Alfa could have drawn it. The CLS and upcoming Pacifica-like vehicle (sorry, the name escapes me right now) don't make much sense to me. Slam BMW's recent design moves as one may, by contrast, they still have a BMW-ness performance focus about them.

I get the sense that Mercedes is trying to be like Lexus - something for everyone. That every vehicle can be smooth, sporty, silky, firm, understated, flamboyant, etc. all on the same car. I miss the focus of the Mercedes of old, and I'm far from old myself! If I had the money to buy one, I'd rather have a decent condition vintage Mercedes than a new one!

- Bret
  • steven2steven2 Member Posts: 37
    Mercedes C E S
    BMW 3 5 7
    Audi A4 A6 A8
    Infiniti G M Q
    Lexus Es Gs Ls

If you compare these brands in this chart, you can see that mercedes fills every category nicely with everyone else. The C is not superior to many of these, but it is competing. Everyone wants an E or S class. But where/why would you throw in a new model and detract from other models sales? Who would buy an wagon in between the c and e classes instead of another brand? wouldn't they also look at the c and e?

What MB does need is a full-size SUV that falls into the price range of a Navigator, maybe a little less than an LX470 or Range Rover.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I can see where you all would think that Mercedes is doing too much here and I agree - somewhat.

I don't think they had any other niche to go for so they are trying to create one themselves. They already have more Coupes and Convertibles than any other luxury makers, so they decided to do something different. I'm not totally sold on the styling of the CLS, but it shouldnt' take away from the S or E Classes sales due to the CLS having a very impractical backseat arrangement and the price will be right in between the E and S. The CLS will also be a big profit maker, which Mercedes needs right now. The car didn't cost much to develop because it uses so much off-the-shelf E-Class hardware. On the body and some interior pieces are new. The new direct injection V6 will be used in every, and I mean every Mercedes model over the next 2 model years.

Now the GST (supposed to be R-Class) will be a runaway hit I'm betting. Crossovers are hot and Mercedes is currently completly absent in this segment. I agree with the earlier post, Mercedes needs a RR/LX470 competititor. Maybe the next G-Class? Not sure.

Mercedes basically had no choice but to expand. The old 1990's business model (from everything I've read and been told by the business-minded people here) just wouldn't have worked anymore. The Japanese forced the issue so Mercedes has to compete wherever they can and spread the costs out over more cars. Just think about it 10 years ago there was only a C, E, S and SL.

Its about survival now, even Porsche had to do a "different" kind of product to ensure their survival.

Three things Mercedes needs to do: improve reliability, stop with the under 30K model plans and never make and ugly car or veer off in a strange styling direction like BMW.

M
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Well, count me amongst the confused. It started back when AMG started going crazy, and you couldn't figure out whether the supercharged V8 model of the normally aspirated V12 model was the flagship. Then they started twin-turboing some models too. Now you really have no idea. Hmm. Do I want a CL500, a CL55, a CL600, a CL65, ...? It's like the Eminem song. "Will the real Mercedes Benz please stand up?"

Having no choice is bad. Having some choice is good. Having too much choice becomes bad again. Mercedes is starting to act more and more American with each passing year. Too many choices, overlapping and confusing, and precious development and assembly resources being sucked away to accommodate a breadth of lower quality products when it probably should be spent focusing on a smaller but higher quality portfolio. And all this for the sake of maintaining or increasing market share, at all costs. This is silly, because the CLS isn't going to do what MB is looking for it to do, whereas Smart...
    What exactly do you think they're looking for the CLS to do for them?

M
    "Three things Mercedes needs to do: improve reliability, stop with the under 30K model plans and never make and ugly car or veer off in a strange styling direction like BMW."

Wouldn't it be great if all of these luxury companies could improve their reliability? Unfortunately, only Lexus and Infiniti can say they have above-average reliability, and Lexus's arent "cool" enough for some and nobody buys the upper-end Infinitis. In my opinion, that's why people would by an MDX over a VW Touareg

Also, why not have a below- 30,000 dollar car? Many people buy the C-Class, even though its a terrible car. Fix it up, and have it compete with the 330's of the world.

Speaking of 330's, why not style like BMW? They are the best compact luxury car, ahead of the TL and G35. Plus, The average person would readily buy a 330-like car under the MB nameplate and not know it was a poorer version of a BMW if the price was right. Keep in mind, most buyers DON'T use Edmunds.com or Consumer Reports to purchase, so by targeting the clueless drivers they'd be selling to the majority.

The new wagon should have a partner sedan to go with it, to replace the poor C-class, and the new G-class, as merc1 suggested, should be styled more efficiently and should have an under 70K price tag.
    Mercedes would never think that logically...they'd just come out with another convertible model.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    "What exactly do you think they're looking for the CLS to do for them?"

I think they're looking for it to maintain or increase market share for the overall brand. I don't think it'll do so, it'll merely present yet another option to those who already are sold on the brand, and in the process add yet more complexity (read: cost) to the design and manufacturing processes to support the product lineup.
    The main question or concern is, however:

Will this model bring in new customers, or customers who would not have bought a MB in the first place? Or will it take away from C, E, and even M class buyers? Inevitably it will lower not boost sales.

Can someone tell me what MB does not have that would sell very well and that they should have, seeing how the other luxury models have it? (Hint: Full-size, practical luxury SUV. I understand BMW has one in the makes, joining RR, LX470 and QX56)
    Good points..... Yes I agree the CLS has the potential to take away buyers of both the E and S-Class, but also the CL or CLK, but I don't think it will. For one it looks like no other Mercedes and that should draw buyers into the MB fold that wouldn't have bought one before. The rear seat of the CLS is very impractical (2 pass) compared to the S or E-Classes, but it should provide more room than Mercedes' true "coupes".

I agree totally about the large SUV thing. I've wanted a Range Rover competitor since the day the M-Class was announced. Mercedes knows they want to build a 75-100K truck anyway, but they sold their souls to the volume market with the ML with disastrous (quality) results.

BTW, the 2005 C-Class is much improved in the area that it needed it the most, interior. Hopefully all those things under the skin that were unreliable have been dealt with also. Mercedes' philosophy about how a car should drive will never allow them to out-sport the 3-Series, so they need to give up trying to out-sport this car, just make the C-Class a reliable, high-quality, fun to drive car that can keep up with the 3-Series in that area, but make it more luxurious. That is correct the Mercedes formula.

sphinx99,

I don't think they're expecting it to do much for market share worldwide at just 50K units a year, which is a small drop in the Mercedes bucket. I think they did it honestly for more profit as the CLS uses mostly off-the-shelf E-Class parts (chassis, engine etc) with only the body and a very select few interior pieces being truly "new". I would imagine the CLS didn't cost much to develop.

M
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    has a few issues that I noticed at NAIAS early in the year to fix.

I opened the trunk on the C230 Kompressor sedan and the lid just flew up and almost twisted my arm. Geez. At least let the lid go up slowly. None of the other automakers had this problem, including Chevrolet, Suzuki, Hyundai, Kia and BMW. I opened the liftgate on a C230 SportCoupe and when I tried to close it the latch was jammed. Keep in mind this was a brand new $28,000 MERCEDES On every other car I sat in and opened the liftgate, there was no problem with the latch jamming. All the problems I encountered were at the Mercedes Benz display.

I do think the Crossover Concept they had on display was quite nice looking.
    Cars at autoshows are regularly abused. If owners were having these problems it would be all over the net.

M
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    that the B Class will be coming to NA in 2005.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=156,178&sid=178&a- mp;article=7100

I hope it will be well built! Wonder what powerplant and price. Anyone know?
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Oh I like it. I've seen the red shot before. Very, very hip.

Bring it on, says I.
    The A-Class appears to be kinda cute, but it doesn't belong here or any variant thereof. Now as a "Smart" badged vehicle it all makes perfect sense.

I swear at times I can't understand my own favorite brand. You bring Smart here as an outlet for cheaper vehicles, then give Mercedes a variant also? What the hell for?!

M
    But isn't this a bigger box with a bigger plant, or did I read that wrong?

Gotta let go of that brand image thing, Merc! You have to believe that Mercedes can be bigger and better than just Lux here. I know I do!
    I can't I've been taught this all my car-loving life...lol!!!!

M
    What Mercedes needs is a full-size SUV that competes with Lexus, Lincoln, Caddy and Infiniti. Possibly the next G-wagen???

It's weird how Mercedes is offering all of these wagon choices, yet wondering why people like companies like Nissan/Infiniti (no wagons), Toyota/Lexus (Matrix, the only one other than the Scions) and Honda/Acura (Civic is it)

Why?
    I really don't see where Mercedes is doing anything different from any other luxury brand when it comes to SUV/Crossovers. BMW has 2, Lexus has 3 so why shouldn't Mercedes grab a piece of this market? Three different models, R-Class, M-Class and G-Class with varying purposes. Makes sense to me.

The 2007 G-Class should however be a true Range Rover competitor, no doubt.

M
  • benzman1benzman1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a '02 S430, and I look forward to the new CLS500. This adds excitement to the line up without spending $95M for an SL.
    But these new mercedes models are more wagonish, and BMW and Audi are pushing the X7 (probably) and A7 (done deal). Other than to redesign the M, Mercedes hasn't addresed their SUV lineup

Look at it this way. Think how many Navigator and Tahoe buyers the GX and LX have taken away. G Class buyers aren't really in that price range. Wouldn't Mercedes sell more luxury, 7 pass. SUV for 60-70K than a wagon model when they would new wagons, when there's already the E and C classes to choose from?
    You have a point, no argument from me there. There are different ways to look at it though.

They'll have a mainstream SUV...the ML, then a crossover the R-Class and then an upper SUV the G-Class. I just don't see Mercedes, BMW or any other German company building a Tahoe/LX470 sized vehicle.

M
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    Good stuff.

The DC merger really got off on the wrong foot, but after checking out some of Chrysler's new products, I am REALLY impressed.

I think MB, in addition to broadening its product line, has to figure out how to coordinate its product (platforms, engines and trannies) with Dodge and Chrysler.

Otherwise, they'll end up like GM, which has some good looking cars with great engines, some good looking cars with old dunger engines, some low quality cars with great engines, and too many low quality cars with low quality engines.

I agree with you 100% that MB should dump below $30k cars. That's what Chrysler and Dodge are for.

I also agree with you that MB should expand into any luxury niches its weak on, but I think they need to coordinate this effort with Chrysler and Dodge.

Here's how I'd organize the product line.

Dodge would get a few RWD performance cars, but the main lineup would be economy FWD cars, FWD minivans and small to midsize FWD SUVs. Dodge would also get a few large RWD SUVs. Also trucks.

Chrysler would get cheaper versions of MB's RWD cars and upscale versions of Dodge SUVs. Less luxurious, different design. Engines would be same as MB engines (to save costs), except the v8 would be Hemis instead of expensive DOHC v8s. The MB v6s in Chrysler's would be the same as MB's, except that even though MB's v6s would be high compression, they would be detuned to run on regular gas only in order to cheaply differentiate them from the premium MB v6s.

MB would get the premium engines (DOHC v8s instead of the Hemi, or hell, maybe even a bigger and badder Hemi) and go with upscale, luxurious cars all the way. MB would get the funky hi-tech transmissions that MB is famous for also, whereas Chrysler and Dodge get standard, cheaper (but maybe more reliable) low tech transmissions.
    Interesting post. Instead of me just saying whether or not I agree or disagree I'll give you visuals...lol.

"I think MB, in addition to broadening its product line, has to figure out how to coordinate its product (platforms, engines and trannies) with Dodge and Chrysler."

Picture me standing on my desk here at work jumping up and down in protest. NO! This would destroy Mercedes-Benz.

"I also agree with you that MB should expand into any luxury niches its weak on, but I think they need to coordinate this effort with Chrysler and Dodge."

I'm not sure what niche they could enter with help from those two brands.

"MB would get the premium engines (DOHC v8s instead of the Hemi, or hell, maybe even a bigger and badder Hemi) and go with upscale, luxurious cars all the way. MB would get the funky hi-tech transmissions that MB is famous for also, whereas Chrysler and Dodge get standard, cheaper (but maybe more reliable) low tech transmissions."

Well every transmission should be reliable.

Overall I guess I still get nauseous when I think about a Chrysler and Mercedes sharing a jointly developed platform. So far this hasn't happened. Yes the Crossfire is a rebodied SLK, but the SLK will be all new in 2 months. The 300/Magnums have Mercedes inspired suspension design and some previous E-Class parts (seats, steering columns etc.), but not the entire platform.

I think they should share parts where it doesn't affect the character of the respective brands. People aren't going to buy a 80K S-Class if they know there is a Chrysler equivalent running around. They can't ever share platforms in the way Ford/Jaguar does say with their S-Type/Linc LS. They can share alternators, seat tracks, and various nuts and bolts, but the stuff that makes a Mercedes a Mercedes can't be jointly developed on a platform intended for use in a new Chrysler and Mercedes at the same time. It won't work.

So far I think they've done the right things and the Chrysler side of the house is starting to show signs of a turnaround, but it is way too early to say anything about it yet.

I think for this union to work both Mercedes and Chrysler has to be left to do what they do best and work together in areas that will save them both money and R&D time without messing up the character of each brand. In short only get what they need from each other and nothing more. The boys in Germany should just give the boys in Detroit technical, purchasing and R&D support, not tell them what kind of cars to build and certainly vice versa (like that would ever happen anyway).

M
    Picture me standing on my desk here at work jumping up and down in protest. NO! This would destroy Mercedes-Benz.

LOL

Overall I guess I still get nauseous when I think about a Chrysler and Mercedes sharing a jointly developed platform. So far this hasn't happened. Yes the Crossfire is a rebodied SLK, but the SLK will be all new in 2 months. The 300/Magnums have Mercedes inspired suspension design and some previous E-Class parts (seats, steering columns etc.), but not the entire platform.

Well, I know how you feel about MB, but honestly, part and platform sharing are going to happen with increasing frequency, whether you like it or not. And it's not like MB is really lowering itself. There are stripper MB taxis all over Germany after all.

I like the idea of using old Benz platforms and parts for Chrysler and possibly Dodge as well. That's a good way to increase ROI on old plant and equipment, and it won't devalue MB b/c MB will get the latest and greatest.

I think platform sharing can work under the following circumstances:

1. different interior and exterior parts so that the cars look different, with the better stuff going in the upscale model.

2. better, more powerful engine in the upscale model.

If it's just badge engineering (which it unfortunatley too frequently is) then it'll devalue MB.

I think for this union to work both Mercedes and Chrysler has to be left to do what they do best and work together in areas that will save them both money and R&D time without messing up the character of each brand. In short only get what they need from each other and nothing more.

I hear where you're coming from. Esthetically I agree with you, but dollarswise, I don't think it's going to happen the way you want it to.
    Easy saugatak, can't you see that artery throbbing in merc's neck? }-]

I don't think we'll see much reverse osmosis from Chrysler to Benz (much to the everlasting relief of our friend here) anytime real soon. Personally I think Merc has a valid point in that there's not much to gain yet.

Yet.

OTOH, there is a measure of adapability inherent in the culture in Auburn Hills that I don't think really exists in the Benz boardroom, and there are learnings there that would be helpful to a mfr looking for a true global presence and a shot a dominance.

You guys go harp on the under 30 product all you want; I, for one, would very much be interested in a B hatch with some amenities and a smokin' plant. Cars in this size range interest me greatly, and as I like my cockpit trimmed in leather with some comfy features and as little NVH as possible, having an alternative to the typical econobox applications is right up my alley and down my freeway! That's how I ended up in what I drive now, and that's why things like an A3 Sportback (or an S4 Avant) look good for my future. Don't need bigger and roomier. If I wanted to go that way, I'd have seized on the '03 540iT and the outrageous lease I was offered like a Pit Bull on a lamb shank (prettiest wagon I ever done seen and a pip to drive)!

C'mon, bring a B and make it hot!
    Ah Merc can handle it :)

I don't think we'll see much reverse osmosis from Chrysler to Benz (much to the everlasting relief of our friend here) anytime real soon. Personally I think Merc has a valid point in that there's not much to gain yet.

I'm wondering if MB will put the upcoming 6.1L Hemi in any of their model lines.

I, for one, would very much be interested in a B hatch with some amenities and a smokin' plant.

Dodge Magnum with a Hemi? It might not have the amenities you want but it's a smokin' wagon.
    You guys are being downright mean, especially you James...lol!

You know Mercedes will never put a Hemi in one of their cars.

M
    Come on Merc, if the Hemi is not put into an MB, then the following classic commercial will never be made:

Scene

Snobby looking European in Armani suit driving MB SLK AMG pulls up to a ratty burger joint. Sweaty, beefy, greasy teenager leans out of drive-thru window.

European: "Excuse me sahr, but do you have some Grey Poupon?"

Teenager: "That thang got a Hemi?"
    I'm officially on the floor now......someone please call 911....lol!!!!!!

M
    The Hemi is probably the best thing to happen to Chrysler in a good long while, but it is near-antediluvian (cylinder shut-down not withstanding), and the cars it powers are simply too big for my tastes. It is nice to see something at the Chrysler/Dodge shops lining tem up at the door again. Let's hope they don't screw the pooch with a laissez-faire 'tude this time!

That B-class hatch with the 3.2L or so? Geddouttahere!
    The 2005 lineup (so far):

C230
    C240
    C320
    C55 AMG
    (several bodystyles for most engine/trim choices and 4Matic versions)

E320
    E320 CDI
    E500
    E55 AMG
    (Again, several bodystyle for most engine choices and 4Matic versions)

S430
    S500
    S600
    S55 AMG

CL500
    CL55 AMG
    CL600
    CL65 AMG

SL500
    SL55 AMG
    SL600
    SL65 AMG

CLK320
    CLK500
    CLK55 AMG (Coupe and converitble bodystyles for each engine choice)

SLK350 (brand new models)
    SLK55 AMG

ML350
    ML500

G500
    G55 AMG (new 469hp supercharged engine from the E/CL/S/SL "55" models)

SLR McLaren

For the 2006 model year:

CLS500 (Feb-March 2005 with a next generation V8)

R-Class (known as the GST right now, giant crossover vehicle)

M-Class (all new model, May 2005 as a 2006 model)

Is this too many models?

M
    IMO, way too many models, way too confusing. Giving so many options must also make the possibilities for error greater, which is not going to help MB's reliability.
    That is the current thinking, but they only have a few more than BMW does, and Audi is coming with more models also. In Mercedes' case though some of those don't sell more than 1K units a year, some even less.

What models do you think they should eliminate?

M
  • myslk350myslk350 Member Posts: 3
    I am #4 on the SLK 350 wait list here in BR, LA. I am very apprehensive about the sticker prices I've heard. MERC1, hope you are correct that the SLK 350 will top out at around 52K with a base sticker of approx 46-48K. Like yourself, I can't imagine that Mercedes would taint the release of this roadster with such an outrageous base MSRP; otherwise, I should just buy the Boxster S if the SLK ends up in the upper 50's.
  • myslk350myslk350 Member Posts: 3
    I was informed of the MSRP from my local dealership, where I am waiting to place my order for the new SLK 350. The base price will be $45,900, with manual 7-speed transmission. Available options include automatic transmission, high-end Harmon Kardon stereo w/changer, and a complete upgrade package for $5,000, which includes all of the above options and more.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    It was just announced that Mercedes will not bring the A class to the USA. I think this is a smart decision. I am in favor of having lots of new model choices, but I think the A would have flopped big-time. For any car that size to sell well here, it would need top-notch driving dynamics (like a Mini Cooper or BMW 1 series). I think BMW could do well in the USA with the 1 series if they use the 2.5 inline six. But I fear the A class would not handle as well or be as fun to drive. Nobody wants an average handling, small, and relatively expensive (I assume it would easily have cost over 20K) car in the USA.
  • wbreaux1wbreaux1 Member Posts: 55
    I am interested in the CLS500. I have a 2000 E320 and am looking for a new car. Considering Jaguar XJ and Corvette (nixed by wife). She is concerned about price, but for some reason likes the CLS because she likes the idea that if I do spend a lot of money, stick with Mercedes (go figure). Don't want an E because it's too similar to what I've had for 4.5 year.

I've seen pictures on the Internet and have read a little, but am looking for more information, such as specs and when exactly is will be available (I've heard January). Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Also, is there a discussion dedicated to or at least including more CLS talk?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The B Class is coming to the USA, and from all appearances it is a stretched A class, identical to the A class from the front seats forward. Whether or not it has driving dynamics that would appeal to US drivers remains to be seen, but it appears to be an attractive package.
  • carman123carman123 Member Posts: 71
    I agree that the B Class is a more attractive package than the A Class, as the B looks like a scaled down version of the new R Class sports tourer. From a size standpoint, I think it is big enough to be viable. Whether it has the driving dynamics to compete with the Audi A3 and future BMW 1 series remains to be seen. I hope that Mercedes offers a version of the new 4 valve six cylinder engine family with the 7 speed G-tronic and 6 speed manual.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    It's been a long time. Salutations!

This seems to be a Benz-bashing site, so naturally I'd better investigate!

In short, yeah, Mercedesa is SMOTHERING the market in models, and not showing a commenserate increase in sales, so some beancounter should hold up a red-flag.

That B-Blass looks like a Mazda MPV to me. I can't see what it's competition would be, much less a price.

I dig the SL, CL, E-Class (except for the electric brakes and throttle), and the S-Class general styling (sans the S430 model, the Comand system, and the $10k too high price).

Everything else needs serious work.

The M seems to be getting attention as we speak.

The G is just too archaic outside.

The C should go to one model only, the C320, with stick and AWD available.

The CLS is just a strange-looking concept of a car, one better left at a car show turntable. Overstyled, a true misfit.

The B-Class: See above

The A-Class: See above

Drop one of the CL AMG models.

Give the C-sedan some original style, a sense of independence. It comes off as a half-pint S430 with no back seat, and a mutated cousin (C230).

Mercedes is becoming the GM of the luxury market. Overgrown, needs landscaping, furnace works good, but the piping has gone bad! Hate to say it, but it's true....

Desperate? Like no other.

DrFill (DIG)
    Does anyone have any update on when the CLS will be out. MB had said 1-17 but it's still not on their web site. I'm looking for official specs / pricing etc. Thanks.
    Naturally I disagree with that rant.

This is the first time though I've heard of an "overstyled" car which say the CLS is. Is that opposed to a understyled or no-styled car that each and every Lexus is?

The only thing we might be close on the B-Class, while I personally don't have problem with its looks, the price and fwd layout are not traditional Mercedes and shouldn't be sold here.

Lexus: The relentless pursuit for complete and utter bordem.

M
    But for the FWD, the B-class appeals to me mightily. The size and look are no end enticing, IMO. The lack of RWD (or AWD as a second choice) means it's off my books from the get-go.

I assume the price is not traditional US Mercedes, and so therefore shouldn't come here. Codswallop.

Unfortunately, the closest Benz to a compact sport wagon (C320) was dropped like an old glove here, leaving nothing but the underpowered and overpriced C240 for the backpack enthusiast. I had hoped the B would be RWD and would take some of the sting away in range of power choices and perhaps an AMG. No.

On Lexus, my apparently soon to be former brand, the less said, the better. Thanks goodness for Audi...
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Where's Audi? Their in last place in sales, market share and have the weakest resale. And the electrical systems light up more than a 10 penny slot machine Vegas. Lexus is hardly worried about boutique little Audi. Hardly. The new Chicago garbage truck grilles are sure to turn this around though heheheh...

The CLS is overstyled and a slyly done Jaguar rework (can't fool this old goat) just like they cloned the round headlight on the 96 E class and called it all new Mercedes design. So Mercedes has this so-called styling but their quality is in the toilet compared to the stronger Japanese. Which does the consumer care more about a kool looking curve or telling the boss can't come in today Jim fixing my car AGAIN.

If Lexus is utter boredom that's a compliment because the E class is utter generic looking safe design that has an interior on level with Nissan of today. Merc1 your trying too hard sailor. You know your favorite brand is not what it use to be and that's all their fault. Competition brings out the problems that once were hidden or swept under. You can't wish away a problem or live in denial. My uncle wisely said way back wait till the Japanese get to the Germans they will feel the pain the domestics did. And they are. Another salute to Toyota the world's most powerful auto making money machine.
    Lots of opinion (E-class styling/interior) there mixed in with some facts about Mercedes' reliability woes.

If you don't like the CLS that is fine and of course your styling critique is your opinion. Mercedes has always been, beyond there three sedan models, a niche player and the CLS is just another car in that tradition. The SLK, SL, CL, G and SLR are all niche products.

At this point I find the harping about reliability to be something that most here can do because they have nothing else to really talk about anymore. I don't expect any car company to be able to fix their problems overnight...long as they are doing something about it...it is encouraging to me. Mercedes seems to be doing something about their problems, trouble is Americans are slow to learn there is a problem and once they do they're even slower to realize the problem has been fixed. Oh, and I'm not saying the problem is fixed at Mercedes, but I am saying the ranting about it is beyond tired at this point.

You'll talk about Mercedes' quality being in the toilet and I'll continue to say Lexus makes the worlds most boringly and/or derivative luxury cars inside and out, with both views being able to be supported by either surveys or roadtests, so we'll have to agree to disagree.

M
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    Very well said!!!

Mercedes is always very good about taking care of their customers. I personally find the complete lack of rearward vision on an RX as well as the "detached" driving experience of all Lexus models to be far worse of an engineering flaw than a software "flash" for an E class radio that shuts off a few times.

At least a Mercedes has proper driving dynamics.

P.S. Mercedes makes all the available models with more features because they can. It takes gifted engineering to build an arsenal such as theirs, that's why everyone else sits on the fence to see what Mercedes does first, then follows suit.
This discussion has been closed.