Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz: Future Models

Comments

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    In agreement with one of Merc's earlier points, another reason why FWD may be the Achilles heel of the B-class here:

I think the concept is saleable overall (Golf has done pretty well for a hatch here), but why buy the Benz over a long-term player, now well-updated. If they'd made the B AWD, at least it would have a competitive angle against the incoming A3 (my personal current favorite for upcoming Lexus replacement).

I don't buy the "price point dilutes the brand" argument. For me, it wasn't the price point I was after when I bought compact, but rather the size and characteristics. Small, very sporty, and with a premium range of choices of amenities is what I want. What I don't want is anything larger than what I have.

Precious few options out there when you get right down to it.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I'm glad you liked the post!

wale_bate1,

I agree about the placement of the B-Class. I would think awd would be automatic option for the car, but nope. I really don't think the B-Class will be a hit, but they should sell as many of the R-Class as they can make.

M
    The B-Class has been taken off the U.S. website's "future models" section. I think they're leaning towards not bringing it here. Good decision imo.

M
    And the models keep a comin'....

2007 R-Class - Will debut at either the New York Auto Show this April or 2006 Detroit Auto Show and goes on sale in the spring of 2006, approx. one year after the M-Class. Expect two V8s and an AmG model at a later date. No V6 so it and new ML don't overlap, but a diesel hybrid is very likely sometime after launch.

2006 M-Class - Is in pilot production now. Goes on sale in April as the ML350 (new DOHC V6) and ML500. ML320 CDI will be offered after the U.S. diesel fuel supply is cleaned up. The deadline for this is Aug/Sept 2006. The ML320 CDI will be a 2007 model at the earliest.

2006 CLK - This current model will be facelifted and on sale late summer/early fall in the U.S. Interior/exterior changes are slight. CLK320 becomes the CLK350. Details will be made public at the Geneva Motorshow in March.

2006 E350 - Goes on sale last week of Feb/first week of March. New 268hp DOHC V6 from SLK, and a real Sport package (seats, supsension, exhaust, shift buttons one wheel) will be available on the E350 and E500.

2006 C-Class - Engine-revised models will be shown in March at the Geneva Motorshow. The C320 becomes the C350. A futher revised Sport package is on board also. The C240 is to be replaced by the C280/C300 (some debate as to how it will be badged). Either way it is said to have a 228hp version of the new DOHC V6. Unlikely to happen, but rumored: the 4-cylinder C230 is to be replaced by a 2.5L 205hp version of the new DOHC V6, named the C230, not "C250" because the C230 Sedan has been so popular. Not sure what will happen to the C "Coupe" uh..hatchback. In Europe it gets all the new changes as the sedans/wagons. The C350 Wagon will come to the U.S. this fall.

2006 SLK-Class - Will get the smaller 228hp V6 mentioned above as an entry-level SLK280/300 model. No 4-cylinder SLKs are coming to the U.S. this time around.

2006/07 S-Class - Will debut at the IAA (Frankfurt) Autoshow in Sept. Should debut here at the 2006 Detroit Auto show. Engine lineup is all over the place. Everything from a new V6 S350 to a S600 CDI, yes a V12 diesel with 460hp and 800lb-ft of torque is rumored.

After these and sometime in 2006 there will be a new CL, a G-Class replacment, a facelifted E-Class and truly frightening rumor...the SL gets a facelift to include a nose like the SLK/SLR!

M
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    "After these and sometime in 2006 there will be a new CL, a G-Class replacment, a facelifted E-Class and truly frightening rumor...the SL gets a facelift to include a nose like the SLK/SLR!"

They do that to the SL/CL and they will ruin one of the most beautiful cars on the road IMO. I'm definitely now a fan of the SLR nose. I am really looking forward to the R class in 06.

And my wife had one of those "unloved" C coupes for 3 years, so be nice :)
    Well at this point there are two Mercedes models that are pretty much definitely getting a facelift for 2007, the E-Class and SL. The E won't be anything dramatic, new V8, interior changes, equipment, lights, bumpers you know that type of stuff. The SL however is supposed to get a SLR/SLK type nose, and I agree that will ruin the car because unlike the SLR and SLK the SL wasn't designed for such a snout to begin with, plus the current front end is gorgeous as is. I agree it will ruin the car, at least in theory.

M
    Already a correction to the above. I'm reading about and have seen some pics at MBCanada.com and autolies about the SL getting a facelift, and there is no SLR/SLK type nose. Thank goodness.

M
    Well the B-Class is a no go:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0502/07/autos-82066.htm

I guess the exchange rates would make it too expensive and/or they wouldn't make any money on it for a low price.

M
    Ya know, I'd say it was too bad Merc, but, frankly, based on other options already on their way, I seriously doubt it will be missed.

We all know I don't buy into the whole marque-prestige thing, but this may be one instance in which so-called "bottom feeding" would in fact have been detrimental.

Ah well, I'll just wait until a suitable sport-lux RWD replacement for my car pops up. Until then, next years's AWD purchase will have to do!
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Yeah, real big loss it's not coming here. Another bottom feeder to join the C class hatch group.
    Well you know I didn't want it to come here anyway so....

M
    Yeah, I know.

Ya big snob. [-P

:)
    Hey I'm in counseling for my problem....lol!

M
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    It's already out in Europe. I've returned from Moscow last week, and saw the CLS at a dealership there. Looks like a trimmed S-class.
    Its out here too, they sold over 700 of them last month in the U.S.

M
    I'm reading where the E55 AMG is available as a wagon starting in March. The 604hp S65 AMG goes on sale in March also. Good Lord. Somewhat closer to reality the E350 sedan and wagon go on sale at the end of this month.

M
    Kriste can we change to title of this thread to Mercedes Future Models and get rid of the why part, since there are other topics for other brands about new models? Though this started out as a bashing topic, can we just use it for talk about new models?

M
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Why not, indeed. It's done!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• happy7happy7 Member Posts: 2
    Question: Does anyone know anything about the 2006 CLS500? I can't decide if which car to get; the CLS or the BMW 6 Series. The merc has beautiful lines, but not sure if the kinks have been worked out yet. The BMW had problems with the new car last year, but supposedly has it's kinks repaired. It is a great looking car also. Let me know. Thanks!
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050223.006

New models:

C240 becomes the C280 (227hp)

SLK280 (227hp)

CLK320 becomes the CLK350 (268hp)

CLK lineup gets a facelift and new diesel Cabriolet model for Europe only.

The E240 becomes the E280, but is a Euro only model.

Ditto for the new CLK280 model.

C230 stays a "C230" but now has a 2.5L V6 with 200hp instead of the previous 1.8L supercharged 4-cylinder.

M
    Just noticed your question. It really depends on what you want. A true, sportier coupe or a sedan that thinks its a coupe. The CLS to my eye is somewhat better looking than the 6-Series. Its the rear of the 645Ci that "messes" it up for me, but the front is pure, mean BMW.

I say drive both and go from there. Neither car is going to set the reliability charts on fire. BMW usually ranks higher in reliability, but that is for their other models, I haven't seen anything on the new 6, and of course the CLS is a new model, but it does use mostly existing E-Class hardware, which has been greatly improved from the E's 2003 intro.

M

(kidding)

M
  • happy7happy7 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I did drive both. The mercedes has a smoother drive and the rear window view is better, and it really looks great. Thank you for your advise.
    Well let us know what you decided to get. I'm sure you'll be pleased with either, but my vote is for the CLS, of course.

M
    Mercedes for 2005 and 2006, new models:

2006 E350 (on sale now, 268hp V6)
    2006 E55 Wagon (not confirmed yet)

2006 S65 AMG (On sale next month)

2006 CLS500 and CLS55 AMG (on sale now!)

2006 C350 (268hp V6)
    2006 C280 (227hp V6)
    2006 C230 (200hp V6)
    All 3 on sale early summer/late spring 2005

SLK280 (227hp V6) On sale this fall.

ML350 (268hp V6)
    ML500 (302hp V8)
    Both on sale last week of April 2005

CLK - facelifted model range, including new CLK350. On sale this fall.

R-Class - debuts at New York Autoshow and goes on sale late fall/early winter 2005.

S-Class - debuts at the IAA (Frankfurt Auto Show) in Sept 2005, debuts here at Detroit 2006, goes on sale first quarter of 2006.

M
    From a MB board, the supposedly S-Class engine lineup:

A S600CDI V12 diesel? Gee whiz.
    At Geneva there are also SLK and SL diesels:

http://www.cwwcardesign.com/mercedes_slk320_cdi.html

"A new V8 engine generates 231 kW/315 hp in the Vision SL 400 CDI and provides the eight-cylinder’s crankshaft with an outstanding torque of 730 Nm. The SLK 320 CDI tri-turbo, meanwhile, can generate an impressive 210 kW/286 hp and 630 Nm of torque from three litres of displacement (70.3 kW and 211 Nm per litre of displacement)."

M
  • stroudmanstroudman Member Posts: 192
    Clearly there are many points of view on where the diamler boys are steering their ship these days, both from cultural, and a business perspective. What mercedes is facing, as time goes on, is the same problem many manufacturers are. How can they put the younger generations behind the wheel of their product at a young enough age to make them lifelong drivers. That's the way they're looking at it, anyway. One could see it from the other angle: why not stay hyper- exclusive, and remain the prize to one day strive for. The suits over in the motherland have their reasons, I guess. Toyota has really turned them on their ear, though. Some of us are really fussing about the more recent MB designs, but they were forced to take their style in a new direction to distinguish themselves again. From a distance, it's hard to say if it's an LS, a legend/RL, or an S or E class. Other than a rear view camera, toyota hasn't produced an original idea that I can think of, they're just grifters with bargain basement prices. Engineering isn't enough, now it's a tech war, and because MB is at the front of it, they pay the price when their stuff breaks.
    I'm very disappointed in you...lol! You didn't tell me that Mercedes was going to re-launch the S350 in the U.S.

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=S350V

Have you recieved one of these yet?

M
    Indeed! How could I have forgotten?! That's a special car to some, myself included. My first one is in production as we correspond. It will be a short run, maybe a few thousand cars. Short wheelbase only, and will probably price around the mid 60's. That will make a really cool car for someone who otherwise would have settled for the E500. Sorry for the oversight! LOL!
    You are forgiven.

Any word on when the new C350, C280 and V6 C230 will arrive? I'm so glad to see that I4 "Kompressor" engine leave the U.S. market.

M
    My database allows me to configure 2006 280's and 350's. That doesn't mean much until I actually get allocations and brochures, but it is likely that by this time next year those engines will all be here. SLK280 also. Things can always change, tho. A month ago I could build an '06 B200, but that stuff all vanished from my system, as you well know. All of these new engines are very exciting.

BTW, I really like the current I-4 Komp in 1.8 liter guise, but in addition to my normal bias, it's also because the prior 2.3 liter motor was so much more rude and crusty.
    Yeah I had read where all the new V6 models would be here by June, but the next generation V8s are the ones they aren't saying anything about. Its a big secret. It is about time for these new 6-cylinder model imo, the current V6s were being overrun.

I suspect if the Euro/dollar situation ever changes we'll get the B-Class I wouldn't be honest in saying I want it here. Wale_bate1 calls me a snob for this but I can't help it..lol.

M
    There are a few naysayers out there with regards to the R-class, but it is a gorgeous vehicle, and will be just what a lot of people need as well as want. I can't wait for it to get here, either. It's too bad that $20k paint job won't be coming along ;(
    The only thing that worries me about the R-Class is the constant rumor about it being priced like an S-Class or in between the E and S-Class. That seems too high to me. It should be priced like a few thousand above the corresponding M-Class imo.

M
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Comments can now continue in the R-Class discussion.

Thanks!
    I saw this on another board:

Through an official confirmation, the 2006 C-Class will be available in June 2005 at your local MB dealers. The new 2006 models are as follows:

C 230
    C 280
    C 280 4MATIC
    C 350
    C 350 4 MATIC

The prices should be within the range of the current 2005 models.

Sound about right?

M
    Yes it does, and the slk will also likely carry that 280 engine, but pricing is still unknown on the roadster. If I had to guess, it will probably price near the old slk320...high 30's plus options.
  • fila54fila54 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any accurate data on when the 2006 E500 will be released. I know the E350 is available now. I personally don't think the E500 will get any changes for 2-3 more years. This is to soon historically.
    Thanks
    There SHOULD be an unchanged E500 around the 1st week of september for the '06 model year. However, there are substantial rumors that all of the V-8s will be changing over in the not too distant future, and the 5 liter will grow to 5 1/2 liters, and more output of course. Probably won't see it in '06, but early as an '07 with a new engine, is likely.
    Yeah I think the E550 will appear at the same time the E gets a facelift, for the 2007 model year. This could be pushed up to next spring if the E's sales drops too much in the face of all the new competition. Then again this all depends on when these new V8s will be shown. The IAA (Frankfurt autoshow) will give a much clearer picture on this subject. On other board they're saying there will be two E-Class V8s like the S-Class has always had. Like an E450 with 325-340hp and a E550 with 380-410hp. Sounds good to me. Though an E550 will be a 70K E-Class for sure.

M
  • benzfansbenzfans Member Posts: 3
    how about the 2006 SL-class,any changes? are they gonna have the SL350 with new V6 engine ?
    I'm most sure that that the 2006 SL won't see any changes, but the 2007 model will including a new V8. The U.S. market won't see the SL350 either. SL and CL are V8s only and upper V8s at that. No V6s or small V8 engines in this market.

Stroudman,

On my usual Sunday stroll through the local Benz lot I noticed today that the dealer here has every version of the AMG S, CL and SL cars you could want. CL65, SL65 and a particularly sinister looking S65. There seemed to be a lot of CLK55s both coupes and cabrios. There are also a lot of regular SL, 2006 S-Classes and 2005 CLKs in stock too. Not an SLK in sight and just two CLSs. I did this same walk around about 3 weeks ago and nearly all the Es and 2005 S-Classes are gone they're all 2006 models now. I noticed the sport package wheel has changed on the S. Looks good. A proper sendoff for the S-Class imo.

When does the S350 arrive?

Is your dealership stocking up for an anticipated spring rush on coupes and especially convertibles like the local dealer here seems to have done?

How many MLs have left your store so far?

M
    merc, sounds like your local dealer is really dripping with fat. Must be a big store. I could only dream of having that kind of inventory. In june we will get only our 2ND W211 E55 ever. Have yet to see our 1st SLK, CLS in AMG guise. Our little corner of the market just doesn't support alot of the big machines. Last summer, my co-worker sold a CL65 to one of his better clients. What a car...

At this point we've sold 2 of our first 4 m-class. The 400 lb. gorillas in our AOI have sold out, and are now calling us to trade! Did you drive one yet? For an SUV, I like it alot. This is convertible season, so we keep as many as the factory will let us have, but we're peanuts compared to the other dealers in our area. We have 2 SLK's, 1 SL500, 2 CLS500's, no CLK cab's, 2 coupes.

-The S350 should get to us, barring any hold-ups, around the middle of may. I think the dealers up northeast way are going to get them sooner, but not sure if they just had them allocated sooner, not delivered for launch sooner. Our 1st will be black/black, xenons and some other bits. About a $68k car. Should be a pretty cool rig.
    Yep they are a big dealer. Nope I haven't driven the new ML yet. I'll wait till the hoopla quiets down, too many people (i.e. real buyers) in line to drive them right now. SUVs of course aren't my thing, but I'll drive it when things quiet down. Today was my first time seeing CL or S65. Those wheels are down right scary looking.

There is another dealer here (Motor Werks in Barrington IL) that has so many SLs and other rare Mercedes models its unbelievable. They also sell Porsche, Infiniti, BMW and others and they're in one of the richest areas outside of Chicago. Looking at their lot is like being in a dream.

M
    The facelift of course includes the new V6 changing the CLK320 to the CLK350, but the exterior changes are very subtle.

Stroudman, any idea when the 06' CLK arrives?

M
    Mid to late summer is what we're hearing, but they love to keep everything vague.
  • clkmanclkman Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know whether Mercedes may introduce a version of the forthcoming CLK350 with the same 6-speed manual transmission as the SLK350?
    I seriously doubt that. The CLK has never had a stick shift in the U.S. For them to do that they'd have to offer a sport package of some sort. I see they have done that with the European E and CLK models, but the U.S information is unclear. I'm not even sure if a manual is available with the CLK350 in Europe.

M
  • clkmanclkman Member Posts: 2
    You're probably right, but I bet Mercedes could sell a boatload of them. It would take a nice bite out of BMW's market share, methinks.
This discussion has been closed.