Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 535D

2»

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I'm thinking that you won't be able to legally license a 535d for love nor money as there is probably no way to convert one to operate as cleanly as would be required to meet federal emmissions standards. Your best bet would be to either buy a gasser at diplomatic prices or wait until the BMW diesels are available on our side of the pond.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • caheelcaheel Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. Was wondering if anyone was reading this board since the post prior to mine was a year old.

Hoping you're wrong but I really don't know. I'm definitely more interested in a diesel than a hybrid and need some good economy since I will be returning to southern California and even a normal commute is 30 miles each way.

Why don't you think I could convert it? Someone told me they have to replace the headlights, tail lights, windshield? and maybe a few other items.

Boy, US market is missing out. This heavy, safe, beautiful car can get about 55mpg on the highway.
    Because California HATES diesels. Why? Emissions, period, full stop, the end. To say that it would be near impossible to get a 535d licensed in the non-CARB states would be an understatement, to get it licensed in California would most likely require divine intervention, and the last time I checked, the deities weren't acting on the prayers of American diesel lovers. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • caheelcaheel Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Shipo,
    How about if I bring in as a used car since I'll own it over here for at least 8-9 months?
    How do others get VW TDIs and MB diesels registered there?
    Nope, not going to work either. In the case of the VW and Mercedes-Benz diesels, they meet the pollution requirements as set forth by the EPA. In fact, technically the Mercedes-Benz meets the CARB requirements as well, however, California pulled a fast one at the last minute and changed the rules regarding the Blue-Tec urea canister (which has to be refilled every 7,500 miles or so). Now the only way to legally license these cars in California is to wait until the car has over ~7,500 miles on the odometer.

That said, since the BMW diesels don't even meet the U.S. EPA emissions standards, you won't even be able to legally get the car in the country much less to California. As I said before, you need to wait for BMW to release a U.S. spec diesel, and that probably won't happen until 2009 or 2010.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The car has to be USA certified for both safety and emissions. I still remember Bill Gates with his $900,000 Porsche impounded because it was not crash tested to US standards. I think you are looking at a giant hassle that you will lose. Get a Mercedes E320CDI that is US approved and with 7500 miles you can register it in CA. I know of several people that took European delivery on a Mercedes diesel. It has to be a legal US vehicle. So far BMW has not brought any diesels to the US. An X5 diesel would be to my liking for sure.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I've read that BMW may unveil the US-market 330d at NAIAS in January 2008. It will be rated at 228 bhp, but the fuel efficiency will be around 30-35% better than the 328i model. That 3.0-liter turbodiesel engine may make its way into the 5-Series sedan and possibly the next-generation X3 due about 18 months from now.
This discussion has been closed.