Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Questions for F-150 Owners

dbhulldbhull Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a question for the F150 owners. How much
difference will I be able to see in a 5.4l with
3:73 gear diff and the same 5.4l with a 3:55 gear.

I know there was a big difference in power with my
Silverado 5.3l w/3:73 and the F150 5.4l with 3:55.
My Silverado would leave it in a dust cloud. I
have not driven the 5.4l with 3:73 gear yet.
Mainly because you can't find one on the lots.
They order most of the trucks with a 3:55 gear.
The ones they do order with 3:73 go quick. Most
people seem to have to order one if they want 3:73
with the 5.4l F150.

Another question. This can just be anyones
perception or educated answer. Why does Ford not
offer a 4:10 gear in the F150? I would think that
a 4:10 gear in the F150 with 5.4l would pretty
much
rule the roost in 1/2 ton truck power.

My perception is that the 5.4l has less umph than
the 5.3l, but the 5.3l loses more of its power
through the drivetrain than the 5.4l Ford does.

Any comments?

I am still considering an F150 Supercab 4X4. Came
close, but got cold feet before sighning the
papers. Still looking to trade for one though.
Anyones input is appreciated.

I like my Silverado and would most likely buy
another one in the future when the bugs are worked
out of them. I have just lost some confidence in
some nitpicky quality issues.

Thanks.

Dan.

Comments

• Options
    barlitzbarlitz Member Posts: 752
    I have a 99 F250 LD with the 5.4 and 3.73.I would check your dealers and see if there are any leftovers from 99 or you may have to order one.Ford does program there factory computers down somewhat as far as trans shifting, shift points.I installed a superchip in my truck and I can chirp my tires from 1st to 2nd if I want.A chip with the 3.55 gears may be all your looking for, better gas milage to.
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    About the umph and loss through the drivetrain, all that matters is what the rear wheels see. It doesn't matter if the engine puts out 1000 hp, if you lose 99% then you really only have 10 hp. The Chevy's can't be losing that much through the drivetrain, it would generate too much heat. Some Chevy owner's are beginning to feel like the '99 Cobra owners. Their engines just aren't putting out what the company said they would. How did you determine that the 5.3 with 3.73 would leave the 5.4 with a 3.55 "in a dust cloud"? Seat of the pants?
  • Options
    Yes Bigsnag, just seat of the pants. My Silverado 5.3l with 3:73 just felt like it pulled much better, both taking off and on the highway, i.e. passing, going up grades, etc. Of course, I was driving a brand new truck that was not worn in. My Silverado is worn in and will undoubtedly have a slight advantage over a brand new engine.

Still considering. I am going to see what kind of a deal I can make over this Memorial Day weekend.
  • Options
    tstraubtstraub Member Posts: 25
    Have any of you F150 owners mounted a 12-disc CD Changer in the cab? I'm wondering if I can fit it under one of the front seats, or if I'll have to put it under the back seat. Don't really want it back there, afraid it'll get too beat up. Any ideas?
  • Options
    How about where the stock CD Changer is put...in the center console between the Captains Chairs?
  • Options
    That's a good spot, but the reason I ordered the Captain's is for all that great storage space, wouldn't want to use it up for a changer. But I might be able to mount it flat on the bottom, then build a little box to protect it. I figure if I put it under the back seat, I'll have to build a protective box or else it will get kicked and damaged. Are you waiting for a truck or already have one?
  • Options
    I already have one. Picked it up out of dealer stock. It happened to have everything I was wanting to a T.

The CD Changer on my truck fits in a tray that sits on top of the console storage space, directly under the lid. There is plenty of room for storage underneath the tray it fits in and the tray itself also holds about a dozen CDs.

If mine didn't already have the Changer, I would put one there anyway. Best spot in my opinion. Much better than under a seat, etc. where you are risking damage.
  • Options
    That is a good spot, but my changer is a 12-disc, I don't know if there would be enough clearance. I'm pulling the changer out of the car this week, I'll fiddle with it when the truck gets here.
  • Options
    aaaaaah. I thought you bought the stock unit. Mine is the stock 6 cd changer. It is more than enough for me. I barely use cd at all because most of my driving is 10 miles or less each trip.
  • Options
    rockaboutrockabout Member Posts: 11
    Ok guys, whats the big deal with this "superchip"? I keep reading about everyone installing the "chip" and getting better performance, better mileage, etc. If this is true, why wouldn't Ford put that in at the factory?
    Also, can anyone comment on the pros and cons of installing this chip? (shorter engine life maybe)?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    This is regarding computer chip upgrades and DIESELs.
    A while back I had an interesting conversation with the folks at Gale Banks. They explained that it is possible to produce more horsepower and torque just by changing a chip. The trick is that you have to do it SAFELY. Gale Banks tested a few chips (Wouldn't say what brands.) and discovered that some were producing exhaust gas temperatures (Pyro readings) close to 1350 degrees. Under prolonged heavy use the internal temperatures will be hot enough to melt aluminum. Guess what, your pistons are made of aluminum.

Rich
  • Options
    fordtough1fordtough1 Member Posts: 14
    The chip changes timing curves to allow you to run premium gas and get better performance. It also makes you transmission have firmer shifts. The reason Ford or anyone else does not put the chip is for several reasons. Not everyone wants to run premium gas in thier vehicle and some people want a smooth as silk transmission. Most people say that they get increased gas mileage out of the chip so that it offsets the price of premium gas. Also the firmer shifts make your transmission last longer because the clutches don't slip as much with a firmer shift
  • Options
    reydanreydan Member Posts: 5
    Hi Fellow F-150 Owners. Just purchased an XLT 4x4 Flareside with the 5.4 V-8 and Off-Road Package. I love this truck. Runs great, solidly built, great fit & finish... but ir rides a little stiffer than I like. Yes, I realize it's a truck and I don't want or need a car-like ride... just a little less of the constant jiggling from the stiff suspension.

Does anyone know what kind of shock absorbers Ford uses with the 4x4 Off Road Package? Would replacing them with a high quality gas pressurized shock from Bilstein make an appreciable difference? I appreciate everyone's comments.

DR
  • Options
    kit1404kit1404 Member Posts: 124
    I have a 1999 4X4 offroad package probably very similar to yours. At first, the truck was a little hard to get used to. After nearly 20,000 trouble-free miles, I think it is the most comfortable, best-riding 4X4 that I have ever had or driven. The truck takes a little getting used to. Don't how many miles you have on it, but I would give the truck and yourself a little time to get accustomed to each other. By the way, with a cab-high shell, the cross wind effect at 80+ mph will never change. But, you do get a little used to that too.
  • Options
    f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    The ride will soften up some over time too. As the leaf springs and shocks are used, they will have less stiffness. Ever notice how a brand new 4X4 sits higher than an exact truck, say..a year old?

I think the Fords are the best of everything a 4X4 could offer.
  • Options
    bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    F150: "I think the Fords are the best of everything a 4X4 could offer."

He is still polishing that turd of his. He has a big problem admitting that he bought much less truck for much more bucks.
  • Options
    bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    You criticize people for being in Tundra topics, when actually they are "Tundra vs. the Big 3", yet you come into a Ford only topic. Shoo, shoo, fly. Go away.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    fordtough1
    I think you would have to get a huge mileage increase to offset the price of premium gas. Not one you will see with a powerchip, especially since you don't buy a powerchip to drive like Grandma Jones...
  • Options
    f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    It is obvious that you are lacking confidence in your purchase because you know that the biggest fact presented to Tundra owners by domestic truck owners is that the Tundra is less truck for more money. That must ring true to you and must sting quite a bit, else you would not have posted #16 above.

You probably suffer from penis envy too. Be honest, you were the late bloomer that showered last after gym class due to your inadequacies.
    Oh, what's that, you are still in high school???

That explains why you are so naive.
  • Options
    jwcoejwcoe Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1997 F150 extended cab,4x4
    xlt,the truck has 49000 miles on it. The truck is in mint condition and well maintained. Spoke with the previous owner,informed that the vehicle was serviced every 3 thousand miles etc. had to have a starter put on at 44 thousand, I just put new "monro reflec" shocks on. What a change in handling/ride. While changing the shocks I noticed that the exhaust manifolds on both sides are very rustly/corroded. Has anyone had problems with their exhaust manifold?
    Note: I live in upstate New York where the roads are covered with salt in the winter,
    Just some additional info, the truck has a 4.6L automatic with 3.55gears Any input? thank you
  • Options
    rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    reydan,
    I've put Velvet Shackles and Eldelbrock shocks on my '99 F-250 Super Duty. These have improved the ride substantially. (Almost $600)

There is one thing that you can try that doesn't cost very much at all. Buy a tire pressure gauge and then get your truck weighed. (S/B less than $12.) Get the tire loading specifications fro your brand of tire. (The company tire stores should have them in their book.) Then inflate your tires to the PSI that corresponds to the actual weight on them. Just remember that when you carry an additional load the tire pressures must go UP to the appropriate pressures.
    Rich
  • Options
    reydanreydan Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to all for responding to my post. Many of you suggested I investigate installing Edelbrock shocks and Velvet-Ride shackels. I did. The combined investment was about $550-$600. It turned out to be a great investment. The ride is vastly (did I say vastly?) improved. I mean this feels like an entirely different vehicle.

In addition, the ride is still firm (not sloppy) and the truck only feels more solid. The Edelbrocks take the big jolts out of the ride, while the Velvet Ride shackles remove the constant fluttering from the rear. It feels like I added a 500 lb load in the bed. The cornering and handling seem to be uneffected, but the ride is much better.

I now prefer the ride to that of the Tundra. In addition, it is more solid and better looking. If anyone is considering the Tundra because of its great ride, consider the F-150 with the Edelbrock/Velvet Ride modifications. You will probably be happier.

DR
  • Options
    dlucierdlucier Member Posts: 19
    like a dumb question, but what exactly are velvet ride shackles?
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • Options
    dlucierdlucier Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the info. Its a slick way to soften the springs.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.