Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V get diesel in Europe

gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
edited March 2014 in Honda
Looks like Honda is doing so well with it's Accord diesel that it is putting the engine in the CR-V. That would be a real popular small SUV for the states. What's the odds on US getting them?

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=269463

Comments

• glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    VTEC has article posted Wednesday, 06OCT04, about possibility of some 3rd gen production taking place in Ohio. Not sure if that has any bearing on your question but at least Honda is looking at the possibility of future US diesel sales (please see following link)...
    http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100714.

With '06 ULSD intro. and FMC with 07MY it would probably be very late '06 at the very earliest that we MIGHT see a Honda CR-V diesel. Not sure how many would be interested. I could really go for one; especially if B100 were more widely available and a little less expensive.

Odds of US getting them... I'm not holding my breath. Cautiously optimistic?
  • glycinemaxglycinemax Member Posts: 74
    Was in getting the 02 CR-V 30K mile service this weekend and while checking out the new 05 Odyssey and general talk with a sales guy I mentioned I'd be interested in a diesel CR-V. He said he had not heard of anything but he said a lot of people have mentioned they would like to see a diesel option on various Hondas. Any one know if Honda is doing any market demand research?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Diesel in a CR-V! Bring it to the USA now!
  • deep_purpledeep_purple Member Posts: 16
    All these Japanese manufacturers have a whole lineup of diesel engines offered all over the world. I cannot understand what's the hold-up. They don't have to spend money to develop these power plants. THEY ALREADY HAVE THEM. I think the problem is somewhere else. You might think that somebody up there don't want to let the Big 3 lose more market share, but again, GM has some nice diesels in Opel/Vauxhall, Ford has good and reliable small diesels in European Focus and DC has in Mercedes the top of the line diesel developer ever.
    Why gas only? Somebody in this country has too much gasoline stocked in the back yard? Who the hell is that guy?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Why gas only?

CARB & EPA set standards that favor gas engines. I'm not sure who is behind it. I question the science that is used to promote it. I think with pressure in the right spot we can wrestle control from the people that are holding back the advancement of diesel engines. They also put roadblocks in the path to improving our diesel supply. I don't think it is domestic auto makers.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "All these Japanese manufacturers have a whole lineup of diesel engines offered all over the world."

I can't speak for "all these Japanese manufacturers", but this is the very first diesel engine Honda has ever produced. They have a limited capacity to produce it. Frankly, they can't keep up with production for the UK Accord, I'm not sure how they plan to make it work in the UK CR-V and Edix/FR-V.

Honda has plans for expansion, making their plant in Swindon, England the hub for world-wide diesel production. However, it will take a while for that plan to go from drawing board to actual manufacturing lines.

Even so, why would they bring such vehicles over here to the USA? Seriously, Honda needs to establish their name over in the UK (where they already like diesels). They are already established here (where we generally don't like diesels). The diesels are selling like hotcakes in Europe. Why waste a limited supply of engines by sending them here? They can get top dollar for them over there.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    And many cars will have problems meeting these new standards. The Jeep Liberty Diesel cannot be sold in NY and CA. Bringing these cars to the US might not make economic sense unless gas prices stay high. A low sales volume might not make these cars practical to be certified.
    Although this is not the first time that Honda's cars have been fitted with diesel engines, incredibly it is the first time that they have been fitted with one that has been fully designed and developed in-house by the Japanese automaker. In recent years, Honda has tried to satisfy regional diesel demand with an engine supplied by Isuzu, which at present is still being installed in the Civic.

http://www.pwcglobal.com/extweb/newcoatwork.nsf/docid/5C13ED175C9- 543D485256E9400506853
    Just check out the lucky aussies.

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Nissan/Nissan.cfm

Also, you might want to see how a Tacoma or a Tundra with a diesel engine looks like.

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Toyota/default.cfm

We cannot even have one imported. They have the steering on the right side. Damn.
    After you check out these links and realize the choices of diesels that Australians have think about the sales that this manufacturers can reach in US. Australia and Florida have the same number of inhabitants. US without California and NY is about 235 million. If only 5% of consumers here will go for diesel we're talking about a market share close to Australia's total.
    I'm not a diesel lover only for the low price of fuel (it's not the case here, not now). I just like diesels because of reliability, easy to maintain and the power you get for the money.
    I just like diesels because of reliability, easy to maintain and the power you get for the money.

Welcome to the Forum. You make some good points and thank you for the links. It just gets me upset that we don't get the same vehicle options that the rest of the world gets.

What I find interesting in this whole debate about dirty diesel is this. Many on one side of the political aisle tout how they do things in Europe. They say how bad the US is on the environment. Yet Europe is over 50% diesel cars and light trucks. Sounds like we are decades ahead of Europe on emissions. Even the Euro4 latest standards are not even close to CARB standards for CA and 4 other states. As long as the environmentalists are sleeping with the oil companies we will have a hard time getting economical cars. Even now in CA they are figuring out how to tax the hybrids that get decent mileage. A mileage tax would do it. Make everyone pay by the mile for use of the roads.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Sounds like we are decades ahead of Europe on emissions. Even the Euro4 latest standards are not even close to CARB standards for CA and 4 other states.
    Perhaps EU is years ahead of CARB in emissions regulations and balanced approach to energy efficiency. EU places greater emphasis on CO2 reduction. EU has more energy efficient vehicles.
    CARB enacts regs. that prevent energy efficient vehicles such as diesels like the CR-V from entering the marketplace and mandates electric vehicles when CA has an electricity shortage. No surprise that the electric vehicle mandate to manufacturers has since been scrapped in CA. Only history will show what approach is the correct pollution solution while balancing cost and energy usage.

CR-V diesel obtains better mpg than a hybrid. Escape at the same time it has emissions lower that Euro IV requirements.

Why would anyone want to buy a fuel efficient SUV? Would not sell in North America!
This discussion has been closed.