Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Duramax Fuel Mileage

Comments

• jbull454GMCjbull454GMC Member Posts: 20
    On an 06 16 to 18 isn't bad with this new low sulfer fuel. although 19 to 20 is more normal. A puff of smoke like that I would have checked out. Duramaxs aren't known for snoke unless they have had a tuner put to them. Could lead to an injector or injection pump problem though so have it looked at.
  • svettersvetter Member Posts: 1
    I have driven chev all my life (45 years) but I think am going ford next time
    The duramx and the allison have been good but I've had lots of problems with other things. (Transfer case, door locks, u-joints, transmission lines,rear end vibration,)
    So I may try a ford. Besides they have not taken any tarp money.
    Working for a Chevy dealer I know about those problems. I will admit, they need to be addressed and dealt with. Along with window regulators, and a few other things. On the Ford subject though, you may want to ask people who have them about the fuel economy. I've talked to a few and they say its horrible. 11 unloaded and 8 with a trailer. Thats more like the old 454 gas engine. They say they pull and haul great just drink fuel. I'm not real thrilled with 15 to 18 on my 08 duramax, truthfully. Especially after talking to people with older ones getting 20 on average. How do you use more fuel and be safer on the enviroment? We can thank the government for that idea...Honestly I don't think there are too many differences anymore. I almost bought a Cummins before I got my Duramax and remember, I work for a GM dealer.
  • jerrydockjerrydock Member Posts: 29
    I just got a nasty surprise. I love my 2005 Duramax 2500 4x4, but I just had to replace the left fron wheel bearing...NOT. There is no such thing. You have to buy the entire assembly. Nearly $250.00. My 89 was repaired for $16.89 in parts. I don't like some "progress".
    I see this from time to time, and I'll say that I think its a "designed to fail" part. You can't get a regular bearing for any GM vehicle anymore. It all the hub bearing assembly. I think it had a grease zert it would be better off but thats never going to happen. Who am I to say though? I just sell the parts I don't design them.
  • wear04wear04 Member Posts: 3
    Just recently had this happen only have 41k on truck 2006 and they want to replace egr valve??? What have you been told???
    I have seen two EGR valves replaced. The first was only at about a thousand miles the other was at over one hundred thousand miles. Personally I think emissions on a diesel engine are about as useful as an elevator in an outhouse. But the federal gov is pushing it. On the probem though, I wonder if it doesn't have to do with injector problems. Too much soot clogging them from using too much fuel.
  • bama13bama13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 duramax with 40,000 miles on it. The truck now has had two episodes where the engine would not idle right(sounded like it was missing) when stepped on throttle engine would go to about 1500 rpm and then pull down. truck would not run right and had no power to drive on trailer. check engine light came on both times, now truck at dealer, no codes reported and truck is now running ok. has anyone had anything similar? oil and fuel filter changed regular. no other problems with truck. both times this happened truck had been drove for 30-45 mins then off for 30-60 mins, when truck was restarted had problems. thanks
    Two questions for you. First, what was the temp outsided? Also, how much fuel was in the tank? Plus, there could have been water in the fuel too.
    Okay, back to this. I have an 08 GMC 2500HD with the dreaded DPF on it. I have recently put Mobile 1 in my truck for oil. I have also filled the tank with B5 biodiesel with Lucas fuel additive. I have noticed before with biodiesel I have better power and economy. I was not expecting the improvement I got with all of the above. I have gone from an average of 15.4 to 18.6 mpg. Its got me wondering how well it does when I switch to Amsoil which is my prime directive soon. I know one thing for sure. I'm not complaining with the price of fuel creeping up again. Any further thoughts on this by all means let us all know!
  • ozzynmaxozzynmax Member Posts: 3
    how many feet dose it take to hit 60mph in 05 duramax 2500
    basically im trying to find out some info on mph per feet a chp said i was clocked at 57 mph within 300 to 400 feet id like some info that would help me fight this ticket
    is there any printed articles with proof of 0-60 times on a 2005 chevy duramax diesel 2500
    Stop wasting your time trying to defend yourself and hire a good lawyer. They are worth the money...22 citations...no convictions here.
    Ozzy, I'd have to agree with Jerry. Get a good laywer, and in addition get a good fuzz buster. I'm waiting to see a Duramax powered police pursuit vehicle. The only time it would be funny is when there is a high speed chase with a sports car and they get run down by an oil burner.
  • unionman1unionman1 Member Posts: 1
    More that likely you need to change your fuel filter. You might want to increase the blend of diesel vs. oil. I have an 2003 and ran home brew bio the whole time diesel fuel was above $3.00. The fuel filter was the only problem I had.
  • boomdboomd Member Posts: 3
    For some reason I am getting crap for mileage on this 05 silverado 2500.......1500 to the gallon. My last 2500 (an 04) I had, I was getting on the hiway anywhere from 22 to 28! I have bought both used, and I don't know if the 04 was chipped or not, but she was a runner. Any suggestions for the 05. Econ shows 15.5 at 1800 rpm's on the hiway.

Thanks folks,

Boomer :( :confuse:
    How many miles are on the truck? It may have an injector or turbo problem. Most likely if anything injectors.
    You have to take a systematic approach to this.

First comes attention to the drivetrain.

Get high quality filters for the engine, fuel, air and transmission.

Replace all your filters.

Use synthetic oil. I like either Rotella or Amzoil.

Add a bottle of fuel additive to the fuel. I like Lucas; but I am sure there are others that work well.

Now check yout mileage...carefully. I like to do at least 4 tansk in different conditions to get a baseline.

Still nto better?

I would suspect the tires.

I can't begin to tell you what a huge diffference tires can make on a vehicle.

Still no good? You might jsut have a truck that is not going to get good mileage.

I don't know why this happens, but some are just better than others.
    It seems to run very smooth to have an injector problem. Since we bought it I have started to put additives to the fuel.
    OK, thanks.......the tires have been replaced, it goes in this week for filter changes, as that was planned. Synthetic oil?? The truck has 70K so would it hurt the engine to change?? I don't know.........The truck runs very smooth for 70K

Thanks,

Boomer :confuse:
    I live not far from Morane Ohio where the Dmax plant is. I talked an employee there a few days ago. He told me an interesting story about the new duramax emissions. He said every 6000 mile you will have to pour some find of fluid in the intake to burn off soot in the catalitic convertor. This does not sound like a great selling item. It says on this site abour the new duramax and "pouring" money into it. I guess they weren't kidding...
  • donnieraydonnieray Member Posts: 3
    I pulled a stupid stunt on Labor Day as I traded in a 2006 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I bought this truck new in 2006 to pull my tractor and my horse trailer. At freeway speeds pulling an empty 24' gooseneck flatbed I would average 9.5 mpg. Without the trailer, I would average 14.5-16 on the highway.

Now to Duramax. It is an 07 Z-71, crew cab. The economy is pathetic. Pulling the empty trailer I get 10.5. At highway speeds with no trailer I can average 15.0. I got that with the gas rig, and the fuel was cheaper. I have thought about buying the programmer, but if it's not going to make a drastic difference I cannot justify the $379 expense.

This was my first diesel; and probably my last if this is the norm. It's not worth it both for fuel economy as well as the cost for service.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    I get close to 20 mpg at 70 mph in my 2009 2500 Duramax. Pulling our 35' 5th wheel I get between 10 - 12 mpg. The truck has under 6,000 miles so I expect the mileage to increase slightly over time.
  • divebomberdivebomber Member Posts: 4
    I have a manual 2001 Duramax, and I'm surprised to see people here talking about mileage that's lower than mine. I'd say just driving around town I push 20mpg. I've yet to take a long freeway mile trip, but when I've had extensive freeway miles for one tank the mileage might be pushed up as high as 25mpg. (It's nice waiting 10-12 days to fill up the 34 gallon tank.) I bought it used, I can't say if anyone did any work before me, but I don't see anything that seems different. I've had others with similar trucks talk about similar mileage.

I'm surprised to see people talking about 19mpg on the freeway and less around town. I can be quite feather footed, but it couldn't make that much of a difference.
    Well, the dealer could not determine what was wrong; in fact in talking to other Duramax owners (2007-2009) I was told that my 10mpg pulling a trailer and the 15hwy mpg was normal.

I painted that bright red Chevy 2500HD Duramax the prettiest shade of "gone" you have ever seen. I have now officially sworn off of "Government Motors" and chalked this experience up to stupidity on my part.

The Tundra is doing just fine.:)
  • coontie66coontie66 Member Posts: 110
    Lets get together and see if the TOY truck can pull my camper up a 7 % grade for 10 miles.
    Two weeks ago I put new tires on my 06 Duramax. It appears that the new tires dropped the mileage 2mpg on the road. I now get 17.8 and it was over 20mpg. HUMMM ... I will change the air filter and check it again.

Both the same size tire. The new tires are a bit more aggressive but still not true mud and snow tires. I wasn't expecting that.

Made in USA but not a name I can remember now like Firestone, Goodyear etc. Its raining outside or I would go look. 3" + and counting.
  • myllyduramaxmyllyduramax Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Duramax GMC Sierra one ton dually with an Allison which I bouht new. I pull a 5th wheel that is 12,200 lbs. dry weight and with all our stuff between 13,500-14,000lbs. I have been monitoring the mileage and it get 17.5mpg on the highway and pulling the 5th wheel I get 11.65. I have no after market work done on it except an auxiliary 50 gallon fuel tank from Transfer Flow. Both main and auxiliary tanks are full when I tow the 5th wheel.

People tell me I am getting good mileage and I think I do. I think that size of truck and what is towed has a huge impact on the mileage, as well as, how you drive.
    Well, the truck came from the mountains of New Mexico, and was pulling a fully loaded 20' goose-neck horse trailer with no problems.

At 400hp, I don't think that would be a problem; and I won't have to stop and fill up as often.
  • riverratt11riverratt11 Member Posts: 1
    Well my friends in message 215 and 207 the problems you are experiencing are not all linked with GM or the Duramax engine your problem would be with banks. You cant just slap a banks 6 gun on a truck and expect performance without problems or strain on the motor. With this added performance you have to add things elsewhere such as cold air intake, transmission upgrades, exhaust upgrades, etc. If you want the performance without the high temps I suggest going to a smaller chip such as a bully dog power pup or a smaller banks chip.
  • chevyrichchevyrich Member Posts: 1
    I was now reading your Aug 10, 2008 posting and was wondering if you have a 2007 classic and was the update under a service bulletin? If so do you know the number of the bulletin?

Thanks
  • lionsbaylionsbay Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 silverado hd. The fuel gauge will show empty and flash low on fuel and then jump to normal but with wrong fuel gauge reading. Any ideas? Was checked and was told replace tank sensor [cost $1000.] I question the diagnosis. Maybe a bad ground?
  • gribmangribman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and have 285-75 16 on it and no problems. Looks great and only mod was very slight inner plastic trimming so when I turn there is no rub. Highly recommended. My tire guys at a very reputable shop have done this many times and gave me the idea.
    I bought my 2005 with over sized tires. They looked good; but they were horrible. I use my truck to travel between my farm and my beach house, a five hour drive. I am finally getting better mileage and a comfortable QUIET ride after replacing the big tires for what the factory called for in a Dunlop 8 ply. You guys who like to "look good" can have all the noisy big crap.
  • vaughninmsvaughninms Member Posts: 2
    The LLY engine has a design flaw in the turbo inlet mouthpiece. There are several ways to fix this, so you should do your own research. If you want the BY FAR easiest, there is a guy in the Phoenix area that has a kit. Send an e-mail to beekiller@cox.net and he will be happy to assist. You can also buy the LMZ mouthpiece from GM but you will have to do a little grinding to make it fit. Most folks say they can do that in about an hour (they have all the tools). Your choice. Killerbee (this is his "handle") is an engineer and has documentation on all of his research. HIs kit comes with all hoses, clamps, etc. It is a 15 minute fix. It even includes color pictures. It does not void the warranty, and the parts are warranted against defects for life. The reader's digest version of the problem is that the LLY mouthpiece has a very hard turn and a lot of turbulence is created from this. This heats the air going into the turbo, which heats it more. Result is the clutch fan running much more often sucking HP and causing mileage drops. If you haven't done this already, do your research and replace the mouthpiece using whichever method you choose.
  • vaughninmsvaughninms Member Posts: 2
    Pushing the arrow button only resets the start point for average driving. You get instantaneous mpg for a second or so. It will level back out over time.
    Did you do this and if so How is mileage and how many miles on truck now. I have 49k on mine and average 10.5 with reg oil
    Have a 2006 2500 duramax when I pull a heavy trailer I get a chucking sensation in 1 and 2nd but seems to go away after that. Any Ideas. Only when towing. At first thought I had maybe bad belt in tires but I replaced with a little more aggressive and it makes worse feel.
  • stang2007stang2007 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this site and was very interested in purchasing a diesel truck. I have test driven the 09 Dodge 2500, Chevy 2500 and the Ford F250. I only drove the ford because I wanted to compare to the others...(im a chevy guy). There are things that I like about and dislike about all makes. Basically if you had a chevy with a cummins engine and an exhaust brake with power folding and telescoping mirrors, you'd have the perfect truck. But thats not an option, so I was looking for someone to give me a little insight about them. And I am concerned about fuel mileage...again Chevy has the 26 gallon (short bed), and the Dodge has like a 34 gallon on it.

Can anyone tell me what they are getting loaded and unloaded.....just curious.

Thanks
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    I have an 09 2500 CC 4wd LT Duramax/ Allison

My current mileage stats are as follows:
    Total vehicle miles 6654
    Cummulative average 15.38
    Best tank 19.80
    Worst tank 10.29
    Last tank 17.73

I tow a triple set up with my boat and a pop up trailer, total towed weight ~ 8500#

I bought my truck the first week of June this year and used it all summer towing.
    My average towing is between 11-12 MPG depending on driving speed and terrain (I live in Utah so lots of mountains).
    My average when commuting, mostly hwy is 18mpg.
    I haven't done a road trip without towing so can't tell you what that would be. I'd guess right about 20.
    Thanks...
    That's about what I get with my 06. I have a camper I pull which weighs about 12,000 lbs and I get 11 +/- . With my 3000lb boat only I get 15 or so.
  • maxxtorquemaxxtorque Member Posts: 2
    There is a detailed article by Michael Patton about the LLY shortcomings and his solution here (http://bit.ly/6vzwAU).
  • wantmydodgewantmydodge Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to replace the transmission lines in a Chevy Silverado? I have an 07, 2500 HD. I have heard that this is an on-going problem and after spending $$ to have this fixed, that it could very well happen again.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    This was apparently an issue on D/A trucks from 05-07, you may want to go to the website dieselplace.com, there are a few threads there that discuss it. I don't know much because my 09 should be unaffected. Good luck
  • hpattonhpatton Member Posts: 1
    My coolant lines were leaking. We had 20" of snow, and used 4x4 to get down the 1/4 farm driveway with difficulty, and went into the house. We had an appointment at the dealer to replace the lines the next morning. When the horn started blaring a half hour later, we went outside and my wonderful 2500 HD Duramax was TOTALLY ablaze and burned completely and totally to a crisp, and all my things with it. Fluid leaked onto hot brake area from horsing through the snow, and BAM! Ever seen a truck like that totally ablaze? Not pretty. To its credit, the gas tank sealed down and never went off. Fire started in the right front engine compartment where the leak was. Insurance paid, I have a new 3500 Duramax now. These lines leak constantly. The Feds are looking into the problem, but it won't help me now. I loved that truck. If those cheap Chinese crimps on the trans coolant lines start leaking DON'T DRIVE IT if you wan tto keep it.
  • tnestortnestor Member Posts: 1
    What size fuel tank does the 2007 2500HD crew cab short bed have in it ?
    From the research that I have done....the chevy crew cab 2500 short bed has a 26 gallon fuel tank. The long bed 2500 has a 34 gallon fuel tank. The dodge 2500 crew and mega cab have a 34 gallon tank. Now knowing that of course doing the math on that to get total miles per tank is easy. Getting 18 miles/gallon, youd get approx 470 miles to the tank on the short bed chevy, and approx 612 on the long bed chevy and 2500 crew and mega cab dodges.

Hope this helps.
  • yodelkingyodelking Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I had to have them replaced at about 10,000 miles on the 07 Silverado. Now, the dealer tells me I have to replace them again at 55,000 miles.