Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru B9 Tribeca (B9X)

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Only while in Park.

Someone's gotta do the driving. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    robotb9robotb9 Member Posts: 82
    can I see about getting rear camera and sensor unit installed

I just received the mailer. The rear sensors with audible warnings are available ($269.95 plus tax and installation). No camera.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...Yakima Road Warriors.

I know you 'beca owners get the warm, fuzzies over stuff like this:

http://www.yakima.com/RoadWarrior.aspx
  • Options
    pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    No mention of a camera, but you could ask about the backup sensors. The camera was one of the things I liked about the Pilot.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    If you'll my read my quote (below), I indicated that I was uncertain:

If I recall correctly, your proposed modification also disables the Vehicle Dynamics Control.

I don't know if most ppl would consider saying "If I recall correctly" you indicating that you were uncertain. Its atatement used when you are almost or 90% certain, in other words you weren't saying it was a 50/50 chance but that it most likely did and now that you are wrong you back track.

The hair can stop being split, but the fact is you jumped down ppls throats screaming safety, preaching incorrect facts and using exageration and sensationalism and got called on it. end of story.
  • Options
    "Just to clarify, is that gap that you have found in your tribeca... the one between the driver side door and the dashboard? It doesnt seem to flow properly, like the passenger side door does, right? But anyway, I'm kind of... erm... glad? that i'm not the only one experiencing this issue, however, after spending the same amount of money as you on what could have been a perfect automobile... still frustrates me.

But since this is a manufactureres defect, shouldnt this be something that they SHOULD fix?"

Yeah I noticed I had the same gap between driver side door and dash from the start. And that it doesnt' flow the way the passenger side to the dash does. So maybe there is a reason for it but otherwise yeah its a little off and they could had made it better.

sorry about your dash. I had a minor fender bender after 3 mo. so I know how you feel and then some as I was also without the vehicle while it was being repaired.
  • Options
    "We got a mailer today from Subaru. It tells that the grill, wheels and backup sensors are available."

Thats interesting. I already ordered and received my SE grill from the one website posted on this thread which i forget exactly now. How much is the mailer saying it is from Subaru?

wheels you mean the SE chrome wheels? bleh.

back up sensor might be nice for some, but I guess the rear cam isn't retrofitable on an 06?

Also, I'm more interested in the rear cargo cover and the integrated XM radio (even more then the memory seat and other minor 07 upgrades) that are all supposedly not retro fitable on an 06.

With the XM radio. I understand that all 07's come prewired for it but only the SE comes with it already installed and that you can pay extra for it separately to have put in your prewired 07, so why can't you just buy the whole new NAV screen and part of the dash where the stereo buttons are even if that includes the heating and cooling controls. It looks like there is a seam surrounding that entire center part with the controls. So I would think it would just be a matter of switching that for one from an 07 SE or non SE 07 that is prewired and adding the XM.

Putting the SE grill on my 06 will be one more reason not to look into trading my 06 for an 07 just for the vastly improved cargo cover and ability to have integrated XM but I was in an Acura TL again recently and was impressed by how large the NAV screen was and much closer to you to reach then the Tribeca.

As well, the voice command ability of the NAV and whole system in the TL is impressive. As well it had integrated XM which showed on the NAV screen and in a smaller display on the dash above when your NAV is on the map or something other then the Audio.

Besides the ability to play recorded content from overnight etc. and record on the fly to something live that you think you would like save, the portable units suck having to look down at the unit on seat next to you, in center cupholder or dash etc.

If the Acura RDX wasn't smaller then the Tribeca being X3 size I would consider trading my B9 for that as I know Acura's tech is the best.

Their bluetooth is great as well, being able to talk and hear handsfree through the car speakers with a bt cell phone.
  • Options
    http://news.marathonrally.com/index.4507.0.html

Ok, so shouldn't be long now until the Euro B9 Tribeca clear tail lights are available from an online UK subaru parts dealer that we can purchase and then have local subaru dealer/shop put them on our american tribeca's. They should fit exact.

its just a matter as someone mentioned us parts dealers not being allowed to sell uk parts or something but I dont see why one couldn't just buy from a uk parts dealer. shouldn't have to prove i have that vehicle or any uk vehicle to buy a part.
  • Options
    From inquiring with someone at Cobb about purchasing the parts or a super charge kit they responded by saying basically that they were trying to sell the super charged Cobbeca they already made so that they can get a Legacy 3.0R in their shop and develop the super charge kit to fit both vehicles before mass producing it so to speak.

I would sell my 06 and buy the super charged cobb beca to help speed up the cause but I dont think it has dvd and therefore no rear audio input which i use everyday so i couldn't do it. Plus I like my satin white peral with desert beige leather and matching pin stripe. I like my black 20" wheels over the bronze ones they used.

If it was an 07 with the aux audio input upfront, the improved cargo cover and the xm prewired stereo I would do it in a second as there would 2 reasons to get it, the 07 improvements and the supercharged improvements.

By the time they have it available though maybe the 08 Tribeca will be out so unless i dont get another vehicle, maybe i'll sell/trade my 06 B9 for an 08 and get the supercharge kit which will hopefully be available by then and if Subaru doesn't already offer an STi or similiar model Tribeca for 08 with similiar hp and tourque improvements as the Cobbeca.

Then they will have wished they got it out sooner for 06 and 07 owners. Otherwise many might choose to just trade/sell their 06 or 07 for an 08 sti tribeca but i doubt subaru will offer that so they should be ok.

I just dont usually get the same vehicle just diff year twice in a row plus its usually every 5 years not 2 years later. Almost wish i just would have waited till 07 or maybe even 08 with whatever improvements that may hold and when the supercharge kit from Cobb should be available but also by 08 something newer and better that i like for same price may be available.
  • Options
    Grill: $595+tax & install
    Chrome Wheels: $1225+tax & install
    Sensors:269.95+tax & install

It goes on to say that the Chrome-Finished Alloy Wheels will set my Tribeca "apart from the pack." I wasn't aware that there WAS a pack. I see another Tribeca on the road about once a week.
  • Options
    If it was an 07 with the aux audio input upfront, the improved cargo cover and the xm prewired stereo I would do it in a second as there would 2 reasons to get it, the 07 improvements and the supercharged improvements.

The 07's have aux input in the dash, as well as the improved cargo cover. I think they're all prewired for XM stereo. You seem to be running out of reasons not to be driving a supercharged Tribeca. ;)
  • Options
    corvettegregcorvettegreg Member Posts: 11
    has anyone priced the install of the backup sensors? I asked my dealer and they were awaiting information yet so they would not give a price.
  • Options
    kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    has anyone priced the install of the backup sensors? I asked my dealer and they were awaiting information yet so they would not give a price.

I've received four completely different quotes, from $142.50 to $300+ for install. Another dealer is still checking. Not sure how they can all have such varied quotes, but it doesn't surprise me :-)

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    No mention of a camera, but you could ask about the backup sensors. The camera was one of the things I liked about the Pilot.

The camera is definitely NOT an option, evidently. Both my dealer and SOA tell me the 06's are not wired for the camera, and my dealer tells me it's just too cost prohibitive for them to do...which makes me thinks it's possible, just not probable...my $.02's only...

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    Some places' list price is *above* Subaru's MSRP. Shop around. Try on-line wholesalers, where are all the Do-it-yourselfers to figure out how to install the rear sensors and document it?

-juice
  • Options
    me: If it was an 07 with the aux audio input upfront, the improved cargo cover and the xm prewired stereo I would do it in a second as there would 2 reasons to get it, the 07 improvements and the supercharged improvements.

you: The 07's have aux input in the dash, as well as the improved cargo cover. I think they're all prewired for XM stereo. You seem to be running out of reasons not to be driving a supercharged Tribeca.

:confuse:
    Not sure how you interpreted that but my point was that the super charged Tribeca that Cobb is selling is an 06 obviously as they did it before the 07's even came out. I was saying if it was an 07 I would do it. Not if the 07 has those features which I already know it does.

In other words there would be 2 reasons to do it for the supercharge improvement and the 07 improvements. But just to get a super charged 06 would be just what i have now except super charged and possibly it doesn't even have dvd with rear aux inputs or 3rd row so i could be losing features. The 07 is almost worth it alone for the cargo cover and XM to me but not quite, however a super charged 07 would be possibly enough reason to go to the trouble of trading/selling my 06 for. get it?

i think you are the only one that didn't
  • Options
    Grill: $595+tax & install
    Chrome Wheels: $1225+tax & install
    Sensors:269.95+tax & install

It goes on to say that the Chrome-Finished Alloy Wheels will set my Tribeca "apart from the pack." I wasn't aware that there WAS a pack. I see another Tribeca on the road about once a week.

ok so that is more then what the one online subaru parts dealer posted on this thread sells it for but less then the other one i found that had it.

funny about the pack and I agree. I see about 1 a week if that and none look like mine with even the minor mods (windows, wheels etc.)

none will have the SE grill now either.

:shades:
  • Options
    OK, I hadn't realized that Cobb had only built one supercharged 2006 Tribeca and may not plan to build any 2007 models. In that case, I see why you don't want the 2006. Will they build you a 2007? That way you could get your choice of colors, and even use your existing wheels.
  • Options
    I don't know if most ppl would consider saying "If I recall correctly" you indicating that you were uncertain. Its atatement used when you are almost or 90% certain, in other words you weren't saying it was a 50/50 chance but that it most likely did and now that you are wrong you back track.

I thought I remembered that your proposed modification disabled the VDC. I was apparently wrong, but we haven't seen a definitive answer yet. We know from cluelesspa's testing that ABS isn't disabled, so I acknowledge that VDC is probably not affected either.

The hair can stop being split, but the fact is you jumped down ppls throats screaming safety, preaching incorrect facts and using exageration and sensationalism and got called on it. end of story.

Jumping? Screaming? Yeah, right. Whatever.
  • Options
    Easy guys, same team, friendly fire. Let's keep the tone friendly please.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks, juice.
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    Juice ... I hear ya but just need to make sure we dont spread wrong information. And I get a bit perturbed when people sound like self proclaimed experts and when called on it still sound like they were correct. :mad:

X5 - I say we both just move on as some people will never change :D

for others (check my previous postings) and you will see I am "usually" trying to keep a friendly tone and be helpful sharing. It just bugs me reading information that is only conjecture or hearsay and posted like its real. I know we all need to take things with a grain of salt... (your mileage may vary) ...
  • Options
    Can't let it go? That's OK. I'm staying friendly, still smiling. Go ahead, take your shots, let's move on when you've finished. I'm heading out on vacation in my Tribeca. Have a great weekend, guys.
  • Options
    So the 07s are trickling in, has anyone driven one yet? Impressions? Tried an iPod yet?

-juice
  • Options
    OK, I hadn't realized that Cobb had only built one supercharged 2006 Tribeca and may not plan to build any 2007 models. In that case, I see why you don't want the 2006. Will they build you a 2007? That way you could get your choice of colors, and even use your existing wheels.

yes as I explained in another post what most knew that Cobb only made one supercharged Tribeca (an 06 well before 07s came out) as a trial and more info on how they would offer it to others it was pending.

I then added that they told me they were selling the superchargd tribeca they made and trying to get a Legacy 3.0r in their shop so as to develop it to fit/work with both the legacy ad tribeca before mass producing it as a kit.

cat be anymore clear then that and that is where it stands. again I prob wouldn't want the black cobb beca they have for sale for several reasons I mentioned in other post.

I'm hoping the super charge kit might be available next year at which point I might consider trading my 06 for an 08 and get the super charge kit for that or if nothing new I want on the 08 then mybe an 07 for cheaper.

for all we know subaru could make an sti tribeca for 08 but I doubt it.
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    '08 is rumored to bring major changes to B9 Tribeca, at least body-wise. I think they may have a diesel engine ready by then as well, which may be a turbo. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. Nothin' to do but wait patiently, since Subaru seems to leak very little info. I've heard the '08 will debut at one of next spring's large US auto shows and may be available early summer of '07.
  • Options
    I would be surprised that they would go thru a major change only 3rd year into a design... the cost to bring a new major overhaul to the design does not make sense to me...

But only time will tell.
  • Options
    strange how subaru parts for you online store for you sells the GRILL kit for MORE then list price? did Subaru decide to drop the List Price?
  • Options
    iloveallioiloveallio Member Posts: 13
    Oooo! I definitely will. Thanks so much, robotb9.

Also, I was wondering very much about the price of the puddle lights installation. I was quickly clicking through pages checking to see if anyone had them posted and MAY have missed it.. but if anyone knows, please post it up! I've seen these in action and they're AWESOME.

Now... do you think they'll be coming out with a retrofit model of the new sound system? With the aux input being available in the front? That's something i've been waiting for... and that I heard about from my dealer's parts department... but nothing has been shown about it yet... so i've been a bit sad about that.

Lastly, does anyone still have the awesome picture of an example of a rear entertainment system that was installed in a b9? I remember them showing... two headrest monitors and one in the passenger side flip down sun blocker (i dont quite know what they're called). If anyone has this picture, please tell me as well because i am very interested in getting something similar installed in mine.

Thanks!
  • Options
    "the passenger side flip down sun blocker (i dont quite know what they're called)."

LOL! Visors, they're called visors.
  • Options
    looks like the new NAV map DVD update wont be out until October :-( according to the dealer who checked with their factory rep.
  • Options
    HAHA! Thanks pschreck. Thanks very much.

Aaah, another question. If in fact... the clear tail lights are available... what'll happen to the red reflectors?
  • Options
    newtosubienewtosubie Member Posts: 39
    Hi iloveallio,

Try post #4551 for a link to the custom entertainment system. The pic is blocked at work so I can't pull it up, but I think that's the one. Robert B9driver has moved on to a Kia Sedona, but his legend lives on......
  • Options
    Yeah, long live CCB Syndrome! ;)

It helps boost the economy.

-juice
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    List price is merely a suggestion. They can charge whatever they want.
  • Options
    "Aaah, another question. If in fact... the clear tail lights are available... what'll happen to the red reflectors?"

The clear tail lights that the european version of the Tribeca will have wont be available until the Euro Tribeca is released in Nov. and it might be a little while after that until they have additional tail lights available as a part. Plus then we have to hope that UK subaru parts dealer will sell them to us though I dont see why not.

good question about the red rear reflectors. We will have to see if those are also clear on the Euro Tribeca. If they are then it might be possible to get those as well, though personally i wont mind those as much as the tail lights are much bigger and i'm not too fond of the red though i do appreciate how there isn't an orange turn signal though that actually bothers some ppl.

Even the Legacy has clear tail lights though red underneat the cover is clear and looks a little better. the tribecas are just straight red and not horrible compared to many with too much orange but not as nice looking as the white/clear euro ones.

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Subaru_co_uk.nsf/NULL/9C64B80BA15F70E780257125- 0053D92E?Opendocument

www.b9.eu
  • Options
    I just realized as i dont know if we have proof of a clear/white tail light being available for the euro tribeca. I realized that the pic on the site might be black and white which is why the tail light looks white because if you look at the middle pic of the gauges they are whitish grey as well so it might be greyed out black and white type pics making the tail lights look that way because other pics of the euro tribeca show it with teh normal red tail lights but then there is another close up of the just the tail lights in the gallery and the tail lights are clear/white again and it doesn't look like a black and white picture as there is some color but it might be like a silvered out picture effect, so who knows

that would suck, hopefully eventually some subaru parts manufac makes an aftermarket altezza like clear tail light to fit the tribeca.
  • Options
    I didnt see a clear rear light lens. I did see on the euro site the YELLOW turn signal lens. look at www.b9.eu microsite and the first pic that loads after you skip the into is the rear end of the Euro B9. so that shows a RED lens. so the change over "if its a direct fit" should be as simple as installing the Euro part instead of the US part. the bulbs will still be white.

especially visible in the 6th and 7th picture in the Gallery on the European Micro Website. or view the 360 degree rotation and you can see its RED brake lights, Yellow turn signals and WHITE reverse light lenses.
  • Options
    That's a good point, however, I doubt that red tail lights would end up with a white tint... after being converted into black and white. Red would definitely look darker than that and would not show the lines as prominently as it is shown in the image.

Also, the image is available on the link on the previous page.
  • Options
    "That's a good point, however, I doubt that red tail lights would end up with a white tint... after being converted into black and white. Red would definitely look darker than that and would not show the lines as prominently as it is shown in the image.

Also, the image is available on the link on the previous page."

Ok. so what the poster above you is saying is that it looks like the Euro tribeca tail light has the traditional red brake light with white reverse and yellow turn signal. Personally I like the U.S. all red better in that case.
    Some did complain about not having a yellow turn signal etc. so might be good for them but i'm not too interested in an even more standard and boring tail light.

What you seem to be saying is that its not just a black and white or silver/whited out effect to the picture but an actualy clear/white tail light? I do agree and thought while the picture definately had an effect it wasn't neccesarily a black and white picture.

So do you think a clear/white tail light exists?

It may be something they made one of or something just for pictures and advertising or possibly something they may offer in europe on the tribeca as an option or extra or on their SE model? who knows. there is no info on the b9.eu site stating as much though so I and others that want a altezza like clear/white euro tail light for our B9's will have to hope that someone makes one, even after market and that it will an available part.
  • Options
    Dealer I was at today had 07. A Harvest gold one (color I am not crazy about) It was an SE model though which makes sense because a non SE would look just like an 06.

The chrome wheels look like as I expected, very factory and oem. I just dont like factory chrome wheels that all the cars are doing now and the navy blue subaru emblem in the middle on the cap ruins it though I would consider getting just the chrome center cap for my non chrome oem wheels if i ever had to put them back on. would be a cool combo with the matte wheel and just chrome center cap but would like to chrome out the subaru emblem, it can't be there but blended in , in chrome instead of the blue.

Got in the 07 SE and turned on but the radio was not conected so could see how the XM works on the screen etc. though i guess it would need a subscrip but i'm assuming the one xm preview and whatever would work, just wanted to see how it operates etc.

check out the aux input in center console and wondered what source you select to listen to whatever you have connected to that. is there an additional aux button on the stereo? S

It had DVD with the rear inputs as well so imagine you could have something connected to that and listen to by presing the RSE button and have something connected to the new center console aux and switch to that without having to disconnect anything. that would be great for mp3 player and say a portable sat radio player if you didn't get the integrated xm i dunno.

checked out the mem seat but didn't try seems standard and not a big deal to me.

checked out the sensors on the back and they were on the black bumper of the car not the upper body color bumper. they seemed kind of cheap and plasticky and looks like either they make a bumper with the holes already in it for the sensors though i guess if you get it fitted on an 06 they just drill the holes in the bumper to fit the sensors. wasn't that impressed with the look feel of them etc. but i'm sure they work though i didnt' get to try or see how they do.

Sadyly this one didn't have a cargo cover (and maybe good thing cus It will just embroil me to see the improvement that they should have done in the first place) there is 2 knobs/hooks for a net towards the front but no ugly black knobs in the back to hang the old primitive cargo cover.

There are now some little cut out boxes with a cover on them that I imagine may come off and where the back bar of the new cargo cover fit in, then in front at the lift gate it has some s shaped groove for the front of the cargo cover to slide in and stay.

So, I don't see why they can't just off the back side paneling that works/fits with the new cargo cover. You would buy the cargo cover and they could make additional money by selling 06 owners the 2 replacement side paneling pieces needed to fit the new cargo cover.

looked like it might be one piece that has hte neccesary front and back area for the new cargo cover. its just plastic or whatever material interior car siding/molding. I'm sure its something made separate and then assembled on the car. They couuld just manufacture more of those 2 pieces and again sell them with the cargo cover.

maybe if enough ppl suggest it to SOA and request it they will see it in their best interest to do it.
  • Options
    tyyeh0tyyeh0 Member Posts: 43
    Checked out the newport blue color today, and I like it better than the previous atlantic blue. It's more blue than blue/green, but different people will like different shades.

I am currently comparing the 07 tribeca with the 07 rx350. Any comments will be appreciated. I am looking at a fully loaded tribeca vs a pretty basic rx350 so the prices should not be too far off.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I think you will get more content with a loaded tribeca than with a base RX350. For example I doubt you will have NAV on the Lexus, where you would with the Tribeca.

Having said that, the RX350 has a clear advantage with it's larger 3.5 engine.

Bob
  • Options
    IMO the 'beca is a better value. For the cost of an RX350 I'd be looking at a Highlander Hybrid.

-juice
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I test drove the new '07 Santa Fe last night and kinda' liked it. Good looking interior, nice ride, quiet. Going out tomorrow night to test drive the 'Beca and the SF again.

Anyone else compared these vehicles and have some thoughts to share or things I should consider? Thanks.

The few $K difference doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about getting a good vehicle for the price, than the actual cost. I tend to keep vehicles 6-7 years, and want a mid sized SUV for mostly commuting, family trips, and some light off-roading. Luxury gizmo's (like seat memories, trip computers, rear cameras) sell me. As does a good AC as I live in the desert.
  • Options
    css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    I too am down to either the 07 Tribeca or an RX. This will be my wife's car as well as the family car. I currently lease a Tribeca for my business.

Nav w/back up camera is a feature we want so the $ difference between the two is significant.

We like the tribeca very much, however, since we keep cars for 8-10 years we feel a loaded vehicle will not seem "old" after a few years.

Here's how I see it:

Handling / AWD / safety - Tribeca (most important).

Motor / power - RX (put the tribeca in sport mode to accelerate -that's good enough for me)

Bumper to bumper warranty - RX (4 yrs)(from what I hear lately lexus needs it)

cost to Buy/own/repair - Tribeca (my Forester - 5 years maintenance only, Tribeca - only a problem with the Goodyear tires which they replaced)

creature comforts - RX (Subaru needs to pick up the pace here)

Hope I could help

Charlie
  • Options
    As does a good AC as I live in the desert.
    If AC is a major concern, be sure you're looking at a 7 passenger model as it has a second air conditioning unit.
  • Options
    Actually it's just an extra fan that runs off the driver's side settings. Works in the 2nd and 3rd rows. This has been one of the best extras in my car and one of the main reasons I opted for the 7-pass, as I'm in Phoenix, too. My backseat passengers sure appreciate it!

-Karen in AZ-
  • Options
    There is apparently a second condenser unit for the rear AC, according to this post.
  • Options
    I've gotten them installed! Heck, it came out to a total of $865+ and...erm... I'm a bit frustrated with a couple of things.

The backup sensors WORK but they seem to be very primative. The whole beeping deal is great but couldnt they have chosen a much... more... refined... beeping? it just seems like a heck load of squeeking with a purpose, of course, but yeah just a lot of squeeking.

The puddle lights are great... but they definitely arent that bright. the area that you're parked in has to be incredibly dark, meaning no type of light around because those lights will definitely not be seen. Is this just me?

I might be a bit over critical about all of this... but for a thousand dollars, i would think that there would be no other way to react about all of this.

Tell me what you think.