Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing and Overdrive

steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
Can someone explain to me why towing and overdrive
are a bad combination? I keep seeing the comment
cropping up, but never see the reason behind it.
I'm guessing it's something to do with having the
tranny continually shifting up and down or is it
more subtle and unpleasant?
Tagged:

Comments

• redufo2redufo2 Member Posts: 13
    The new Ford owners manual for a F250 only says two things:
    - Do not tow over 55 mph ( ya right )
    - Select a gear that will allow the trans to not hunt.

I Try not to tow over 65 mph. With a 3 ton truck equipped with an automatic with 3.73 rear end and a 3 ton trailer thats over 9' tall running in over drive is at the torque / hp limits at 2000 rpm / 65 mph for the V10. To keep the torque converter locked up at 65 mph + it requies me dropping it out of O.D. Other V10 owners with a 4.30 rear end can keep it in O.D. when towing, but do not use it because there afraid of hurting the transmission.

My thoughts are if your towing at 60-65 mph on flat land with no head wind use the O.D. to save on fuel if the trans doen't hunt and the torque converter will lock up. If you intend to tow over 2 tons of tall trailer at 70-80 mph then shift out of over drive on a automatic to keep from over heating things..........

I feel for you and wish there were better OEM information available on towing with an automatic trans.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The way I feel about towing is take the normal weight that you tow, then find a truck that the max towing capacity is twice the weight you normally tow (sometimes this is not possible)what this will do is allow you to tow in overdrive because the truck will be over built for your application. I have learned this the hard way, it took 3 trucks for me to figure this out. I own a 21' boat that weighs around 5000# including the trailer. Previously I owned 2 f-150's according to the owners manual they could tow around 7000#, they would tow the boat but not well I killed 3 transmissions in the trucks and towing in overdrive was impossible. Now I have a Dodge with the Cummins and towing the boat is not a problem it stays in overdrive all the time except for steep hills. As for towing in overdrive I agree with the above post if your transmission will lock in overdrive there is not much of a problem as long as you have a transmission cooler.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    Once you are up to highway speeds on relatively flat run, it is ok to use OD. But never start out in OD. I have a friend who owns a tranny shop, he told me: besides overheating the tranny, internaly when not in OD the transmission behaves different as far as the gears are and it is less wear and stress on it when starting out in drive (or 3rd gear).
  • steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    My truck is a 2000 Ranger with a 3.0L, 4-speed auto and 4.10 rear-end. This combo is rated to pull around 4300lb. My rig weighs 1400lb at most, 1500lb by the time I buy the next round of "essentials". So my tow rating is around 3x my load - which feels like a pretty good margin for error to me.

I did some experiments with putting it into O/D when up to speed on flat or downhill sections and it had no problem maintaining speed and gear. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't be storing up a problem for myself. All the owners manual says about this subject is:

"Use a lower gear when towing up or down steep hills. This will eliminate excessive downshifting and upshifting for optimum fuel economy and transmission cooling.".

I wonder if "excessive shifting" is once every 10 seconds, minute, 5 minutes...
    I think you're saying that I shouldn't be doing any acceleration while in O/D? Surely being in O/D doesn't affect the way gears 1, 2 and 3 behave? Isn't O/D just a 4th gear with a ratio less than 1?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Tow/Haul mode dont need to worry about all the stuff. It reprograms everything automatically.

Ryan
    That's great for a Silverado, but I have a Ranger...
    Hint Hint

Buy the Truck

Ryan
    No thanks, the Ranger is plenty for me AND it fits in my garage. I don't have a problem, I'm just trying to understand what I should and shouldn't do. And why...
    I know sorry im just giving you a little harrassment. And possibly a suggestion

Ryan
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    Is where the truck is shifting into overdrive and the truck slowly loses speed until it kicks down a gear, my f-150 would do this so I always turned the OD off. After a few trips with your truck you will know what hills make the truck work so turn off the OD before you start up the hill and you should have no problems. I believe the OD in an automatic transmission is not a gear at all but is nothing more than the drum in the transmission moving over a little bit to allow your drive gear (1:1 ratio) to be overdriven, I am not sure maybe someone with more tranny knowledg can explain to us better. Another thing you can do to keep from damaging the transmission is install a transmission cooler if not already installed and a transmission temperature gage to monitor the transmission.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Overdrive is simply 4th gear. It's ratio is about 0.7 to 1, hence "overdrive."
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    According to my guy being in OD DOES effect gears 1,2 and 3. It has something to do the way the tranny couples or something, it was too technical for me. I believe this guy, he supposed to be good. Also use a tranny shop who not only will change the filter but uses the machine to suck out all the fluid. Also add an antifoam agent to the fluid when changing.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    OD.. Like a Vette. The 4 speed auto (700R) was actually a 7 speed. 1,2,3 all had an OD of their own.

Put the silverado in 3 and drive around town. It too will seem to shift (coverter lock up).

- Tim
    My Silverado is actually a Ranger despite what Ryan says :-)
    Now dont put my words in my mouth. I made a suggestion that you buy one.

Trust me you would be very happy i went from an S-10 to a silverado. Moving up in the world. Oh boy did i move up

Ryan
    a Silverado I'd first have to get a bigger garage. To do that I'd need to buy a new house. Things start to get kind of expensive! Especially when all I need is a truck to pull our boat. Oh, and to handle the odd Home Depot project. And my wife's mulch, soil and wood chips. The Ranger fits that bill nicely.
    You said HOME DEPOT? Why not menards??? Whats wrong with them?

My truck doesnt fit in the garage bumper is in the way. IT sits out no problems. Only thing that scares me is hail and the time it hailed my truck was in the shop thank god. Little trucks come in handy i agree. What kinda boat do you pull? (sorry if u already said this)

Ryan
    people would understand Home Depot than Menards! I'll use either.

I wouldn't like to leave my new truck outside - too tempting for some of the neighbourhood kids. About a week after I bought my RAV4, we found a hole punched in our garage door where someone had tried to break in. We have a stronger door now.

Hail is scary, you're right. We had a big storm through here (Mpls, MN) a couple of years ago. My RAV4 got hammered in the company car park, as did the roof of our house. I was cowering in the basement at work 'cos there was also a tornado passing by.

Boat is a Lund Rebel 1650V with a 40HP Honda. A nice comfortable fishing rig.
    Only reason i made the menards comment is because i work there a few days a wk. I hate it but it pays pretty good.

Nice boat next yr ill probably be getting a nitro or bass tracker.

Ryan
    Interesting, my wife had told me that Menards didn't pay very well, things must have changed. They must have if you're looking at a Bass Tracker!
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..he is still in the Ma and pops stage...ahh.. the good old days..

However his new old lady wants a house soon and some kids....so look out!

- Tim
    I make almost $12 an hr on weekends and thats when i really work all my hours

No house or kidds till im outta college.

I have bills

shell,mastercard, insurance

Ryan
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Mastercard? Don't get into debt at such young age my man! Throw that sucker out!! (Especially when dating--you'll be paying for gifts after she leaves you!) LOL! 12 bucks an hour for that ring....oh boy....
    Nah man i aint stupid i pay the thing off when i get it usually the next day. Im not stupid with my money trust me how do you think i bought my silverado (opps i mean tundra). WHo said anything about a ring? wow ive only known her for a few wks. Its going good though :)

Ryan
    What your trans expert did no tell you.....but assumed you knew..............
    Any transmission be it manual or automatic normally has a gear that is 1:1. In most truck automatic trans missions it is "3rd", "Drive" or "D". When at 1:1 the power is transmitted with minimal loss in power, least friction ( lowest heat build up). The power transfer gets to the drive wheels like there was no transmission there (assuming converter lock up and or no clutch slippage). The torque loads mainly see only the in put and out put bearings of the transmission when in the 1:1 ratio. No great loads on secondary bearings used in gears that multiply the speed of the out put shaft that occurs when the ratio goes from 1:1 to .75:1 or .70:1 as seen in most truck transmissions.

So when some one uses the drive or disables the O.D. it is in a 1:1 drive ratio. This causes the least amount of ware in conditions like towing. While it is the least ware on the trans there is more wear on the motor and lower mpg.

Not all transmissions are design to handle high torque loads when transmitting the power indirectly through a planetary O.D. like the 700R4 trans in my old chevy. Towing in O.D. lead to it's early death at 135,000 miles (only 1/4 was towing miles).

I hope the Automatic in my new 2000 SD Ford is up to the task. Only time will tell. If it dies an early death, then I be setting my sites on an Allison 5 speed around the corner. Until then I tow in O.D. at 60-65 mph at approx. 2000 rpm and see how long the trans will last when towing 3 tons around.

EEE
    Ford tell me that my ratios are:

1st gear = 2.47, 2nd = 1.47, 3rd = 1.00, 4th = 0.75, reverse = 2.10.

which fits what you're saying above.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I drive a Dodge auto with the 4.10 rear end. Yes I know the 3.54 is more popular. But I talked with numerous folks at campgrounds and found those with the 3.54 towed in 3rd and those with 4.10 towed in OD on the flat and mild hills. When the trans downshifts for a hill they turn OD off so it doesn't hunt back and forth. The 3.54 has to downshift to 2nd. Some install a trans temp gauge that seems like a good idea. A friend has installed one on his Dodge and he's never had a problem with overheating with the 4.10 and OD. I also have the new slighly larger tires Dodge offers, LT265 that give me more like a 3.73 when compared to the more common LT245. At 65 mph in OD I am just under 2000 rpm. At 72 solo just under 2200. And with towing if I need 3rd I am almost 2900 at 65 mph. I have only towed once with my truck (lastweekend ) but feel this will work out. The greatest problem with the auto is overheating. The greatest heat is generated when shifting. So avoiding constant shifting (hunting) is a must. ... Rich
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Do Ford OD trannies have something that keeps them from hunting gears???
    I always tow in OD with the cruise set near 75-80. However, when I tow my 3500# boat with my F-150 and I come to a large hill it will lose speed until it has to shift down into third. When it does it regains the speed quickly, BUT once it gets back to that speed it doesn't shift back up into OD. That is until I top the hill, then it will shift. It's like the electronic control on the tranny has the ability to tell that there is an increased load, i.e. the hill, which made it have to downshift, and it won't let it hit OD until that increased load is gone, i.e. topping the hill. Anyone with any knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • blightblight Member Posts: 22
    redufo2,

You are all wrong on the 1:1 minimal friction and torque loads on only the input and output bearings. Your frictions are going to be about the same no matter what gear you are in, and the torques are going to be through all the bearings in the path of the gear you are in. Your bearing loads will be least on the input shaft when you are in the lowest gear, but you will run at a higher engine rpm. I have always heard that heat is the biggest by far cause of problems with transmissions. I believe the main causes for heat are slippage (like under loads and shifting), and slow fluid flow (like in OD). If we believe the manufacturer on max tow loads, then we should believe them on towing recommendations. My info from Ford says that it is OK to tow in OD unless it starts to "hunt". Since I am only towing about half of the rating, it does fine leaving it in OD all the time (so far). When I am towing uphill or in high winds, the transmission automatically downshifts out of OD and stays there as long as it needs to. That is why they call them "automatics". I have a Ford Probe that the transmission went out at about 130K with no towing. Think towing in OD lead to it's early death?

bigsnag,

Your F-150 does what all transmissions attempt to do. Some are more successful than others, though. Before electronic controls, transmissions used engine vacuum to try to determine when it needed to downshift or upshift. Now with the electronic controls, we have throttle position sensors, air mass flow sensors and other information for the computers to figure out much better when it needs to shift, and when it should wait a little longer. So, to answer your question, yes it sort of does know there is an increased load based on it's sensor inputs.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    Thanks for the response. I've never had one that operated like this before, though. They would always downshift, and as soon as they regained their speed, they would shift back into OD, which would then cause them to start loosing speed again, to the point the had to downshift.....the cycle continues. BTW, the truck I have now is a '98 Ford.
    I had an Aerostar that did that, and I think I remember driving a Chevy Citation or Cavalier rental car that had that problem once. Other than that, I have had pretty good luck with them shifting like your 98 truck does. I have driven mostly GM products, so I don't know if maybe Ford has had more trouble figuring it out or what. I think all the car makers had to pay more attention to the transmission shifting when the smaller engines started replacing the V8's. With less power, they needed to pay closer attention to when they can shift without losing speed.

My 99 F-250 Super Duty truck that I have now does an excellent job of shifting, whether I am solo, or pulling about a 6000 pound trailer. That and the V-10 engine are two things I am very happy with so far. Most all the rest of the truck I am much less than thrilled about.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    redufo2,
    If I'm the Rich that you're asking....
    Yes, 3.73 LS, PSD and LT 265 75 x 16.
    (Weight is almost 7100 lbs. with me and fuel.)

blight,
    I'm surprised that you are not happy with your truck. In my SD my only real complaint is that there is no light in the cup holder. And, no, I'm not being sarcastic. I actually installed a couple of lights in the cup holder so I can find the holder in the dark.

Rich
    rrichf,
    My truck has been at the dealer for the last week and a half. They are replacing the Cruise control servo twice (the first replacement was worse than the defective one) and the valve body assembly in the transmission. After the 5th or so time, they finally took me seriously enough to finally figure out the transmission noise.

I also have an A/C squeal on initial startup after the truck has been sitting for 2-3 days. The line from Ford is that the compressor is the low point in the system and after sitting like that, it gets a slug of oil in the compressor. When you then start it, it sends that slug on through and hits the orifice. There is no fix, and is "normal" and will not hurt the compressor or the system.

I on the otherhand, know better. A compressor trying to compress an incompressible fluid is not a good thing, not to mention a DAMAGING thing. Also, a slug of oil hitting the orifice is also DAMAGING. I believe once again that Ford doesn't want to fix the problem so they just try to tell us that it is normal and won't hurt anything. I for one am not buying at any price, much less $30 freaking K!

I am glad you have had good luck with your truck. I would also love this truck if I could only get the problems fixed and not have a new problem almost every time I drive it. I may have to pull together a long list of all my problems and post it on one of these topics.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    have you tried a different dealer? It seems to me that you are banging against a wall and losing with the dealer. Another dealer may be just what you need. At this point, what's to lose in trying?
    Blight on the 1:1 ratio. Remember one of Newton's laws "For every action there is an equal reaction"? 3-4 planet gears spinning inside of a sun gear making that 25%-30% O.D. ratio may lower the engin rpm but in the process has an effect on adding heat. At 1:1 these gears are in effect not moving . Food for thought eh?

Note just had the Mass air flow sensor replaced at 6000 miles and mpg is back up.

EEE
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Redufo, besides Newton's law; "For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.", there is his law of inertia; "Objects in motion tend to stay in motion; objects at rest tend to remain at rest." In this particular scenario they are for the most part self cancelling. However the law governing friction raises its ugly head to cast the spell.

Bookitty
    Thanks. It's been thirty years... The thought on O.D. towing and trans life is like the quest for the holy grail. Not being on the Ford truck trans development team I can only help to think that they have gestimated that people will tow in O.D.

The farm boy in me makes me think that towing a 3-5 ton trailer that stands 9+ feet off the road at above 65 mph in O.D. with a 3.73 rear end on a current Ford SD auto trans may be outside of the design safety margin. I have not done the math on the HP required to make this happen, but I have an gear head ME buddy who loves this type of challenge. You figure in a 20 mph head wind, a six pack and you'll have to check our math.

Wouldn't be great if a Ford development engineer responded to one of these chat sessions?

EEE
  • warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    I see that most of the chat here seems to relate to Fords, but we Dodge owners seem to be having the same questions. Wouldn't it be great if we got the same answers from the service department that we got from the sales department when it comes to towing?
    Yeah! And if the Owner's Guide agreed with both Sales and Service it would make me even happier!

Sales: Yeah, don't worry about it. No problem.
    Service: You did what???
    OG: Silence.
    redufo2,
    I am a Mechanical Engineer, so yes, I am familiar with Newton's laws. I believe trying to count the number of gears turning and attributing the heat to that is nowhere near the whole story. Transmission fluid does a pretty good job of reducing bearing and gear frictions. I believe it does well enough to prevent you from explaining transmission operation and towing gear selection in one easy step. The only people who will really know where all the different places the heat comes from is probably the engineers at the manufacturers who know them intimately. Since they are hopefully the ones that set the shift points and wrote the recommendations in the Owners Manual, we can only trust what the manufacturer tells us about towing capacities and what gear to tow in. I do happen to agree with you about towing a 3 ton trailer in drive at 65+ mph. The reason I agree is because when I tow in OD (which is most all the time), it downshifts out of overdrive and stays out under this condition just the same as when you manually disengage the OD. I am sure Ford counts on people towing in OD since they tell you to. I still say let the transmission and computers do their job. They can do it much faster and better than we can.

obyone,
    This is my second dealer, and I have called a third on the warped rotor problem. The first dealer was the worst dealer I have ever dealt with in my life, and the third dealer pretty much told me the same thing on the rotors. I get the strong impression that Ford has set up many road blocks to keep the customer isolated. I am actually reasonably pleased with this dealer. They have taken care of all but 3 of my problems quickly and have done a good job. Two of my 3 problems (rotors and A/C) I believe is Ford tying their hands. Of coarse my biggest problem is that something new breaks practically every time I drive the truck. I am almost afraid to use it because I wonder if the next thing to break will keep me from getting home.
    looks like three options left:

1- pay for new rotors and a/c
    2- start arbitration
    3- trade for 2001 Chevy HD 2500/3500

good luck. I know I wouldn't want to drive any make of truck if I had to worry about getting home...
    I've asked this same question on another post but I want to cover my bases.
    My '01 Dodge 2500 came with RT265-16 tires, which I think are too big for what I need. I want to get a few more RPMs in OD so I won't have to run in 3rd with my 5th wheel in tow. For some reason Dodge puts bigger tires on the 2500 than the 3500, and this is not good for towing. I have to wonder why Dodge would do this when the truck is ordered equiped for heavy towing.I now run about 1750rpms at 65mph. Can anyone tell me what to expect from RT235s or RT225s? Ken
    Your figures are close enough to mine to say we agree. Now, who makes an LT235/75R16 that will fit on my 8 inch rims. 245 will do in a pinch.
    I found that Uniroyal makes a Laredo AWP in LT245/75 R16 that fits an 8 inch rim. I had 4 of them installed on my truck and am very pleased with them. They give me almost 100rpm more at 65 and they ride and handle much better than the Michelins did. An added benefit is they stick like glue on wet roads, something the Michelins, with their extra hard tread compound, were very bad at. Since I've been running the Laredos I've towed my fifth wheel about 1000 miles, mostly in OD, with no problems.
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    warfish,

"They give me almost 100rpm more at 65 and
    they ride and handle much better than the Michelins did."

I'm assuming that you're speaking of the indications of your dash board instruments. I don't understand how the indicated RPM and the indicated speed could change by changing tire size.

Rich
    tirerack did a customer survey and the LTX M/S came out on top for wet road traction. Not sure about Uniroyal. Where do they sell those? Not many places carry them anymore. Seems outdated technology....of course a million mile survey could be wrong about the Michelins...
    The process is called mathematics. You take the diameter of the old tires, divide it by the diameter of the new tires. This gives you a figure like 1.032. Multiply your old rpm by that number and you get the new rpm you get at the desired mph.
    obyone:
    I've never paid much attention to the figures given out by such testing agencies, they tend to favor certain manufacturers for various reasons. All I know is I hated the way this truck drove with the original tires and wished I had my '98 Ram 1500 back with it's Goodyears. Now this truck drives just like the old one. If you choose to believe the commercials with the cute little kids, go for it. I know what I have experienced is real.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Warfish, what is the rating of your new tires? Are they 10 ply equivalent? Will they handle the same weight as the Michelins? Only if that is equal can they be compared. I never have liked Michelins scare tactic type comercial with the little kids. But I drove mine as fast as I care on US50 and Missouri 19 this past Sunday Morn. Roads were wet and I felt secure on the winding hilly roads. But no, my 2500 Dodge with towing and camper package does not ride as smooth as my 97 Z71 with Wranglers I just traded. But one of the reasons I traded is the wranglers were only 4 ply rated and were overloaded pulling my 5th wheel. By the way, my Dodge takes bumps smoother. .. Rich
    You must have misread my post. It said tirerack did a CUSTOMER SURVEY. Not an independent test. It also depends if you bought the top of the line Michelins or the ones that Sears or Costco sells. I know Sears doesn't carry the LTX M/S but they do have a Michelin tire that they put on sale every other week...
This discussion has been closed.