Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Real World MPG Numbers

rangersgoalierangersgoalie Member Posts: 8
what does everyone get for gas milage for their 97 ram? i just bought one and was looking to see what i should be around. its a v8 5.9 l i belive, ext cab and 4x2

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Since real world mileage figures are an important aspect of the trucks, we've tossed aroudn the idea of mileage topics for makes/models. With that in mind, I'm going to rename this one to cover Ram trucks in general.

As it comes up for other makes and models, we'll get those into standard naming format as well!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • vroom01exvroom01ex Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2002 Regular Cab Short Bed 4X2 with the 5.9 (360) Magnum V8. My truck averages around 12MPG. I do an awful lot of stop & go driving, unfortunately. The fact that I do my driving in LA, where keeping a constant speed on ANY road is challenging, doesn't help any. If I hot-foot around town, my mileage plummets to around 9MPG. Keeping a *relatively* steady 60-70 mph on the highway nets me on average around 17 mpg, although I've seen it cruise at 23 and at 14 at those speeds. It all depends on the wind and how well traffic is flowing, but I'd say that my mileage is about 11/17. I'm actually inclined to believe that I can eke better mileage out of mine, particularly since it has a high-flow exhaust.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    1996 Ram 3500 4x4 dually, Club Cab, Cummins and 47RE automatic, 3.54 axles (rear limited slip), and OEM-size LT215/85R16E tires on aluminum wheels. Weight with full fluids and just me in it, just under 7000 pounds.

Best tank: 24.3 mpg at a cruise-controlled 57 mph/1600 rpm for approximately 270 miles, truck was 3 years old. Current average commuting 36 miles each way on 65 mph interstate, around 18 mpg.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Member Posts: 8
    well after filling it up for the first time and doing mostly stop and go driveing around the neighboor hood i got 16 mpg. but so far i came to school which is 85 miles away from my house and i used about 1/8 of a tank

does anyone elses fuel gague jump around alot?
  • mr_hemimr_hemi Member Posts: 4
    I am getting around 19 MPG combined city/highway driving. Worst tank was 17.4 from some cheap fuel in Gulfport, MS and also on the first tank. Best mileage was 21.3 on the highway going to Baton Rouge. It seemed to get around 16 MPG in city driving, but haven't run a full tank in city only driving.

2004 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab, CTD, 48RE auto, 3.73 gears (can't get the 3.54 gears anymore), 2000 RPM@70MPH.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    no hemi numbers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • wheels1wheels1 Member Posts: 9
    Is your Cummins an early '04 or the '04.5 as it's called? Is it 4WD? I'm looking at getting one, but have heard that the newer ('04.5 & '05s) trucks get worse mileage than the older '03s and '04s. Any more info would be helpful for me to decide. Thanks.
    Just curious to know what kind of MPGs people are seeing on the '05 Ram 2500 w/Cummins. I've heard they get a couple less than the older lower torque engines. I can't seem to find an '03 or '04, so I might go with a new one.
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    2003 Hemi/5 speed auto, 3.92/2 wheel drive Quad Cab. Just over 20,000 miles. Average MPG over the 20,000 miles 14.2MPG. Worse tank 10.8MPG, sub zero weather.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    local scuttlebutt (new england) is avg of 9.

we have lots of hills, traffic, and maybe leadfoots.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • ljtosiljtosi Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 1500 regular cab, short bed, 4x4 with the Hemi and 20" wheels in January 2004.

I average 10.1 mpg around town and 13 mpg on the highway. 2000 rpm at 65 mph.

The gas mileage is horrible. However, I like the truck.
  • mrbillmrbill Member Posts: 31
    Quiet in this thread, but I thought I'd post my latest numbers to see if anyone had current numbers as well. Refresher: 2004 QC, 1500 Hemi, Laramie (all the toys), 17in wheels, tow package. on second oil change - mobile one full synthetic and K&N filter. I currently burn mid grade (89) but have tried low (87); and she behaves nicely on low grade but I have heard best performance from mid. 10500 miles from approx 80 percent highway commute driving conditions.
    Ok the numbers from last fill up.. computer reports best average 18.5 highway, and my calculations at the pump basically agree, but I see it definitely drop when in town conditions of course.
    Bottom line I am happy with the overall mileage for the engine and weight. It IS a truck after all, not a Geo.
    Others out there reporting mileage??
    Best reguards, Ahasher
  • cowboycadicowboycadi Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2500 4x4 QC Hemi. The best mileage I have ever had is 13.5 going downhill with tailwind, behind a semi. LOL I didnt buy it for the gas mileage, but I have 2 other dodges, a durango 4x4 4.7 and a 1500 QC 4.7. Both have never gotten over 15 mpg. I dont know how to get better mileage out of the HEMI. Does anyone know of anything to get better mileage?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..have doubts.....

but on a recent trip from Las Vegas - Northern CA (via 6200+ elevation Tonopah, Fallon, Reno thence North on 395 thru Susanville to Mount Shasta.....) Rain, snow......(and we seldom dropped below 75) Left Pahrump at 0540. Arr in Shasta 3:50!!

Dodge Ram 2500 V-10/automatic/4WD (2 folks: no trailer: no load)) Fourteen MPG consistent..ez..
  • jamestraceyjamestracey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004.5 Dodge 2500 4X4 Cummins HO 600 with a 4.10 rear end. On the highway without towing my window trailer I can get 22 MPG @ 65 MPH. Towinf my trailer, whether loaded or empty, I get 13 MPG both on and off the highway. I was thinking about getting a Banks Engineering Six-gun chip for it but unsure if it would be worth the $758.00 price tag. Any ideas anyone? Thanks
  • settembrinisettembrini Member Posts: 1
    Recently ran from San Jose, CA to Vancouver, WA on I 5. Truck bed was loaded up and covered. Cab was full as well. We averaged 17.4.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Recently road shotgun in a 2005 RAM, 4.7 two-wheel drive with 22K on it. The 290 mile trip averaged 17.3 MPG. The driver used cruise control about 45% of the time, and highway average speed was 65 MPH.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • sheriffav8rsheriffav8r Member Posts: 3
    I average 75-85mph, like the acceleration of the turbo, and see 16.5-18mpg. If I slow to blue-hair speeds I can easily get 19-21mpg. I found that I only get 11mpg doing a century, but don't tell anybody....
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I'm at 1200 miles now, and I'm seeing numbers around 18-20 for highway cruising in the 57-67 mph range. Once we get off winter-mix diesel, I expect another 5-10% increase.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Member Posts: 8
    i was j/w which would get better gas milage and would be more pratcle for just throughing a few dirtbikes in the back a few times a week
    With 3700 miles on it, I've been getting about 14-15 around town and about 18 on the highway. Best tank so far was from Cheyenne, Wy to Steamboat Springs, Co and back. Over the Summit on I-80 and over Rabbit Ears pass, got 18.5 MPG. The power going up the hills was awesome, the only slowing me down was the turns.
  • stuballstuball Member Posts: 5
    I'm getting around 10-12 MPG on my 1998 2500 V10 GAS

Does anyone have any successful remedies, gizzmos, etc that work to increase the MPG.

Thanks for your replies.
  • ky bobky bob Member Posts: 2
    Ok I've always been a Chevy man but sure like the looks of the Dodge trucks over the newer Chevy's.Also had more trouble out of my last Chevy (2002) than any other but mainly just small things. Looking at a 1500 Hemi Quad Cab w/ 20" tires. What kind of gas mileage can I really expect? Probably 60% highway and 40% town. Also what rear end should I be looking at? And I have heard that the 20" tires hurt the power and mileage. Is that true? Need input quick has I may try and trade within a week or two. Thanks, Bobby
  • mrbillmrbill Member Posts: 31
    Just got another MPG update on my 2004 QC Hemi Laramie. 75/25 percent HWY(commute)/CITY . Overhead reported 18.8 average. Actual calculations at the pump 18.2. Overhead meeds a tweak I suppose. I cant complain, it constantly reports 19 (+) during commute. Not bad for a Hemi IMHO..
    ahasher
    FYI - K&N, Soft tonneau, 17 inch rims, 3.55 LSD.
  • kennethm1kennethm1 Member Posts: 12
    is there anyone out there that has a 2005 ram 1500 V6 that could report on the fuel consumption in the city and on the highway. i would like feedback from people that drive where things are pretty flat. i live in south florida. it is a regular cab short bed (construction crew model i refer to it as) and my experience in the past is they don't quite get what the big mpg numbers on the sticker price states it should average. sticker say 16 city 21 hwy. a friend of mine has a ford 8 cly and averaged 17 going to atlanta. i hope that with my 6 banger will at least get the 19 mark on the hwy and 15 in the city. i haven't taken it on a road trip to see what it gets but so far i am only getting 13 city :( i am assuming when people figure their fuel economy they to calculate it having run the air conditioner like i did in the city and will do when i calculate my mpg when i take the highway road trip. i assume most people do but just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. anxiously awaiting your replies.
    I know a gentleman here in town that has a 2003 RAM short box, V6 automatic. He gets 17-18 around town and has reported 23 on the highway. He's in his seventies and drives very cautiously. It's not what I would call Kansas flat around here, either.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • kennethm1kennethm1 Member Posts: 12
    thanks for your reply. i have not had the chance to recalculate. after a week or ten days of driving easy i went to gas it up and swiped my card at the pump. well for some reason they only allowed 50 bucks to go on the credit card thus i couldn't fill the tank to get an accurate calclation. i was pissed lololo. that particular week i was a little more on the hwy than usual. i went ahead and calculated (even though i was a gallon or two from actually filling it) and i averaged 15.5. i would like to do a four or five hundred mile run all on interstate hwy and get a calculation. i just hope that the friggin pump won't cut me off before i am able to fill it. thanks for the reply
    kenny
  • 35793579 Member Posts: 1
    cant get any better than 11.2 on the highway but im only driving 40 miles one way... bout 85 miles a day highway driving...bout to take her on a 340 mile trip and see what she gets...... i can only burn premium if not she doesnt run good, so we'll see :mad:
  • cromzlacromzla Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2003 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty Quad Cab with CTD. Empty we average 20-22 MPG. When we have our Lance camper on board, we average 15-16 MPG. The truck handles the camper very well and is a pleasure to drive down the road.
  • retirednakretirednak Member Posts: 5
    We have a '03 3500 diesel w/373 gears, dually 4x4 club cab and 70,000 miles.
    My overhead computer always says I'm getting 3-4 mpg better them I'm usually getting.
    My best tank of fuel has been around 20 mpg, but I average around 15 mpg in the summer. My mileage really is poor during the winter, 12-13mpg.
    I also have an Edge Power Programmer hooked up. If I drive on setting one it makes no difference in mileage,
    yet I enjoy the extra low end getty up and passing power. We do have to run winter fuel a bit longer here in Alaska so mileage suffers on diesels.
  • jtrjtr Member Posts: 1
    The 50 bucks limit is most likely a limit placed on your credit card and not the gas pump. It is there to protect you if your card is stolen. I have encountered this too many times.
    I am going to have a discussion with my credit card co. before I take my next long trip.
    jtr
  • drtrvlrdrtrvlr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 dodge ram 2500 4x4 . I normally get 10 combine city highway, 9.5 towing a 3 ton 3 horse trailer. I put my 1600 lb Camper on with or with the trailer and get 7. Wish I had a diesel

If you ever here of anything that works in the MPG dept let me know
  • dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2003 RAM 1500 Quad Cab HEMI with 16,000 miles. Mileage can be as high as 17-18 at 60-65 mph. Mileage drops to 14-15 mpg at 75-80 mph. Overall mileage with city/highway is 12-13 mpg.
    Worst mileage was towing a boat & trailer with a combined weight of over 6,000 pounds. Mileage was 7.5 and it felt like I was tied to a rock, even with the HEMI.
    Mileage is not great, but not much worse than the Chevrolet I owned. Truck quality is much better and a lot more fun to drive! This truck is a long-term keeper.
  • ky bobky bob Member Posts: 2
    Thought I'd ask here and get some real answers. I am looking to buy a Ram 1500 but can not make up my mind for the 4.7 or Hemi. Is there that much difference between the two as far as gas mileage? I will not be towing anything. I am really leaning toward the Hemi at this moment. I have driven both and currently own a Chevy Silverado with the 5.3 Vortec which I average 16 mpg with a heavy foot.
    Most of my driving is 75% hwy.
    You can expect the EPA ratings for gas mileage when driven carefully. If you have an aggressive driving style, both will suffer, but I think the Hemi will suffer more.

Most of the people I know or have talked to are getting slightly better gas mileage with the 4.7, especially city-type driving. On the highway with cruise control used there might not be much difference between the Hemi and the 4.7.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • mgrammgram Member Posts: 4
    Do yourself a favor and get the hemi.
    It is SO much more fun to drive and the mileage isn't that bad. I usually get 14 or 15 around town and 18 or 19 on the freeway. (rwd, 3.92 gears)
    Plus the 5 speed auto that is mated to the hemi is the best Chrysler transmission I have ever driven.
  • rosiedadrosiedad Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the New Dodge Ram 1500 with the Hemi, I love the truck but was thinking of geting a programmer or chip for it. I want to let it run a little more free and also eek out a little more milage (don't we all). I keep my foot out of it as best I can but still only get 14 mpg average. Does anyone have any experiences with programmers, I have heard bad things about the jet products but who know what is true.

Thank you for your responses in advance
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I use Hypertech's in all my rides. They have proven reliablilty unlike the Jet products. Hypertech's easy-to-dial-in programming is amazing.
    I use Hypertech's in all my rides. They have proven reliablilty unlike the Jet products. Hypertech's easy-to-dial-in programming is amazing.

P.S.-- I got an increase to 16.8 mpg on my '05 Hemi with the Daytona Pkg. when I upgraded my standard airbox to a K+N FIPK. It also helped with the throttle response of my truck(which was already great)
  • cantankerouscantankerous Member Posts: 4
    I have 2004 Dodge 3500 2wd cummins HO with a 3.73. I find the best I've registered on the avg econ Gauge is 20.2 on secondary roads under 65 MPH. On open road keeping up with traffic 70-75MPH it falls off to 19.4. If I let it roll back and forth to work mixed freeway and stop start. It averages out to 17.9. If I trounce on it on rain slick roads maybe 14.9.MPG. I find the best bet is to ease into Overdrive and then drop to 1400 to1750 RPM for best mileage

I have not changed the air filter or intake and I keep 50 PSI in the front ant 70PSI in the rear tires. I have not seen K& N filter for this truck. Is it an Air Box replacement kit for this.
    Not only does K&N have one for the Cummins, but Airaid and Bullydog to.
  • cantankerouscantankerous Member Posts: 4
    Yes, I took to the forum link pages and saw the Airaid,Votrex, and K&N Filter-charger kits...Also saw chipsets and down-loaders. I am thinking try a Cleanable high volume filter for the stock air box. First econ will be anticipated cleaning vs. paper throw away elements. Has anyone seen dyno results for air intake mods on 2004 HO Cummins?
  • lawdawgfllawdawgfl Member Posts: 75
    Just purchased a 2004 1500 QC 4x4 Hemi with 20” rims and love it. I am coming from a Honda Accord V-6 coupe with 6 speed so the MPG is much different, no biggie it is a truck. I remember reading a post somewhere that you have to multiply 1.? For the true MPG, something about the 20" rims. Anyone know where that was? I think it was in the Edmunds form but I can not find it now. Thanks for the help.
  • eatin4deatin4d Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi quad cab and I drive an equal amount between city and highway. I average 15 mpg in the city and 17 mpg on the highway. I had an 01 Dodge with a 318 v8 and I get a little better mpg with the Hemi. Everyone said I would get 13 mpg average but that is only if I keep A hevy foot and drive way to fast! I also have a camper and a horse trailer I sometimes pull. When pulling, I get around 14 mpg pulling in the hills. So, thats not bad at all for 345 hp and that size of truck. and it has more power than I expected.
  • lawdawgfllawdawgfl Member Posts: 75
    First let me start by saying that I am not a mechanic, I do not pretend to know how these things work. That being said I saw on “TRUCKS!” this weekend a segment where they took a V-8 4x4 Dodge Ram single cab with manual transmission and replaced all of the fluids with some “purple” stuff. From the engine to the transmission to the gearbox, the test was to see if replacing all of the fluids would be better on gas mileage. They placed the truck on a 4x4 dyno and ran it with the regular fluids, then replaced them. The temperature was cooler by almost 10 degrees on all of the major parts. If I can remember it right, remember not a mechanic, they said that the engine produced almost 24 foot pounds more torque with the new fluids. This would mean the engine works less to move all of the internal parts, causing the engine to work less would result in better gas mileage, according to the host. The only mods to the truck was a cold air intake and a new exhaust system. I guess the question would be how much all of the mods and new fluids would cost compared to just buying the gas outright in the long run.
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Anybody have real world MPG numbers on the 2006 new HEMI?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    ;) I HAVE 2002 RAM 4 DOOR 4 BY 4 WITH 4.7 & 3.92 GEARS. I GET 10 TO 14 MPG IN TOWN & GET 16 MPG ON HIGHWAY. THE BEST I EVERY GOT WAS 19.8 MPG ON A TRIP. 4.7 HAS A LOT OF POWER FOR THT SIZE MOTOR.
  • eharri3eharri3 Member Posts: 640
    Gotta be a HEMI if it's a quad Cab and/0r 4x4. I'd take a 4.7 in a regular cab shortbed, that's about it. I drove a Quad/Cab 4x4 4.7 and it felt like a Dog. The Hemi makes it a different truck in comparison. YOu don't ask if the 4.7's accelaration is adequate, you asked how much worse the HEmi's fuel economy is likey to be. That means you would like the strongest motor you can get away with without going bankrupt at the pump. This indicateds you like accelaration. Get that thang with a Hemi in it.
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    NO HEMI IN 2002. WAS NOT OUT YET. THAT IS WHY I WENT WITH LOWER GEARS. IT GETS OFF THE LINE PRETTY GOOD. K & N AIR FILTERS. TRUE DUEL EX. & POWER PROGRAMER.
    There's a guy around here with a 2003 RAM Quad and a 4.7 with a supercharger. That truck is reported to be faster than the same setup with a Hemi.

Dusty