Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Viper

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
The last Dodge Viper was eventually joined in its lifecycle by a GTS hardtop coupe designed for racing. Now the current Viper is doing the same hardtop conversion, as Dodge has announced there will be a Viper SRT-10 Coupe introduced in the 2006 model year. The Coupe sports the same 8.3-liter V10 engine as the convertible Viper, with 500 horsepower and 525 lb-ft of torque. That means in racing trim, the two-door will be able to accelerate to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. Brembo racing brakes will be added, and the trunk room will be boosted 50 percent in case racing requires a weekend bag. Pricing hasn't been released -- the Viper coupe arrives in the fall.

Comments

• rockfordrockford Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know the exact HP rating and 1/4 mile times of the new Z06
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    It has 35 % more rigidity than the convertible.

The 2006 Corvette Z06 will likely be faster than the new Viper because it weighs around 300 pounds less. I still like both cars a lot.

The 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 Coupe doesn't look like the 2003 Dodge Viper Competition Coupe because of regulations. Tommy Archer won the 2004 SCCA SPEED GT Drivers’ Championship in a Dodge Viper Competition Coupe.

http://seriouswheels.com/top-2003-Dodge-Viper-Competition-Coupe.htm

info and pictures

http://seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Dodge-Viper-SRT10-Coupe.htm

http://www.fast-autos.net/features/05naias/dodge/2.jpg

http://www.fast-autos.net/features/05la/dodge/30.jpg

The Dodge Viper Competition Coupe (search google for it) doesn't meet regulations for the 24 Hours of Le Mans or for the American Le Mans Series so this Viper will be raced instead.

The Dodge Viper SRT10 is hand-built at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit. It will go on sale this fall. It has forged aluminum wheels.

The new coupe has more cargo capacity, a more rigid chassis, and better aerodynamics than the convertible.

I think Dodge should revise the Viper to better compete with the new Corvette Z06. Perhaps an aluminum chassis would help.

The wheels on the blue Viper in this thread are the wheels destined for the production Viper.

The next Dodge Viper needs a clamshell hood like the previous Viper.

A Viper GTS-R won its class (GTS) in the 1998 and 1999 24 Hours of Le Mans and took the overall win at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1999.
  • camarolovercamarolover Member Posts: 3
    hey ive been lookin for a viper but i didnt kno if i should get another one.
    But ive been doin some shopping and i hear that the new ones dont come out til this winter but i dont want to wait that long and i want to kno if i should or not.
  • camarolovercamarolover Member Posts: 3
    i hope the new vipers will have alot more horse power because i streetrace and i am gunna buy a new viper when they come out and im gunna sell my old one and race the new one.
    Why not take your Viper to the race track?

You would have a lot of fun there.

The 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe arrives in Dodge showrooms in October at a base price of $83,995 including $850 for destination. Two new styles of forged aluminum wheels will be available for the 2006 model year.

The new Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has a new horsepower and torque rating test procedure. There is a rumor that the 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 might gain 10 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque for a total of 510 hp and 535 lb-ft of torque with the new test procedure.
    check the links for pictures

picture one

picture two

picture three
    The 2006 Viper's 8.3 liter V-10 is now rated at 510 hp and 535 lb-ft of torque (check Dodge's website). It uses the SAE's (Society of Automotive Engineers) new hp and torque ratings.

The 2003-2005 Viper SRT10 had 500 hp and 525 lb-ft of torque.

The Dodge Viper SRT10 also has 14-inch front and rear vented brake rotors with Brembo four-piston calipers.
    check the link

Dodge Viper race car

The new Viper Coupe's sloping roofline and rear decklid spoiler produce 100 pounds of downforce at the rear at 150 mph.

The only bodywork that the Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe shares with the Convertible is the front fascia and fenders, hood and doors. In addition to the new canopy and decklid, the 2006 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe has a special windshield surround, door side glass, rear fascia, quarter panels and taillights.

The Viper was the first of the 'new age' front engined rear wheel drive GT cars. It sparked renewed interest in top flight GT racing.

Olivier Beretta was one of the drivers of the winning Viper GTS-R (GTS class) in the 2000 12 Hours of Sebring.

check the link

sports car racing

Dodge Viper Competition Coupes will be race in the FIA GT's new GT3 class.

check this link

The FIA GT Championship's new GT3 class
  • seriousblackseriousblack Member Posts: 3
    :sick: I heard there will be no 2007 Viper model offered by Dodge.
    Can anybody confirm this? And why?
    Is the Chrysler Firepower on the horizon to replace it?
    I've also heard that there won't be a 2007 Viper SRT10. Dodge is rumored to be reworking the Viper for the 2008 model year.

The Chyrsler Firepower hasn't been confirmed for production.
  • C2456RonC2456Ron Member Posts: 58
    I've read in the Museum Mag I recieve that it has 505 HP, and does the 1/4 mile in 11.2 ET! I heard it does the 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds also! I hope this helps you! This car is mostly made of Carbon Fiber, fenders, doors, rear quarers, hood, truck lid, floors and roof, the roof and engine cradle which were aluminum, have been cut off of the regular Corvette and replaced with Titanium, for strenght & weight! I presently own a 400 HP Z51 C6, and it goes so much faster then my C5, it is ALMOST scary fast!!! :}~
  • 1scootennewton1scootennewton Member Posts: 1
    Is it me or does anybody else agree that they (Dodge)needs to change/update the Inside of the car...The stereo is the same one in a dodge dakota and so are the air/heater controlls. I sat in one at a car show and was disapointed at what I was in. If I could afford a car like this I would not want to see the same Interor parts from other production vehicles in it.
  • ablonablon Member Posts: 1
    being a MOPAR guy i hope the new viper beats the ford Gt and the vett z06 i also think that the gt and z06 can't even be compared to a viper sence there supercharged! hopfully the viper will also be able to get all its 600 ponies to the ground ulike the previous modles
    Mr MOPAR Guy, I think that you should possibly catchup on your other cars before you say things like the ZO6 or any Corvette has ever been Supercharged, not that "Zora A. Duntov" never wanted too! Just a little brushing up on these cars would tell you that there has never been a year that ANY Corvette has ever been Supercharged from the Factory! Ford just about Supercharged all their Hot Rods, I don't know why though, they still don't go!!! But that is only MY OPINION!
    I believe that the Viper's problem has always been not having Traction Control on a 500 HP car, and a little insulation between the Driver and the exhaust would help out greatly for his/her comfort! It's just about impossible to even drive a Viper for more then 2 hours, without cooking your feet! Also PLEASE don't ever drive one if your wearing shorts, or you will burn your legs getting in or out of a Viper!
    Road & Track, Car & Driver, and several other Mags will tell you about their Road Tests in the Viper! It's really too bad, with all that HP & Tourque, that should be a real MEAN Automobile!
    But I believe we should wait til we see if anyone is going to pickup the Tab for Chrysler, to keep it going! I certainly hope an American Co does, I would LOVE to see the Big 3 duking it out again with the Muscle Cars!!! :shades: ;)
    PS: I wonder if they are STILL going to come out with the Hemi Cuda in '08, like they said?
    I know, I know, I'm replying to my own Post! DAH!!! I made a error on the material for the engine cradle & Roof! It's made out of Magnesium, NOT Titanium. I knew that why I said that I'll never know! Guess I had a Brain F**t! Sorry!!!!
  • viper20viper20 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of a part or something that i can get to recallibrate my speedo after changing gears in my rearend. Help. Thanks
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    "A component in the airbag control module may fail, causing the front airbags and/or seatbelt pretensioners to deploy inadvertently while the vehicle is being operated.

The affected Vipers were built from November 1, 2001 through June 30, 2004.

Dodge dealers will install an in-line jumper harness with an integrated electrical noise filter to fix the vehicles. An interim notification is expected to be sent to owners in February. The remedy is expected to be available later in the year."

More Info

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review