Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Sierra 1500 vs. CHEVY Silverado 1500

yolsteryolster Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in GMC
I'm looking into buying either of these GM trucks
but would REALLY like to know which of these is
actually the better truck.
Does it come down to small things like how the
door handles feel?
Is one supposedly cheaper than the other?
Are they actually the same truck?
I would love an educated answer/opinion. Help

e-mail: yolster@aol.com

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    both made in the same plant...on the same line..by the same workers....One gets a Silverado badge..one gets a Sierra badge....the front end is different (duh)...and very minor options are different...like 2 tone in an SLT..(Chevy LT is only 1 tone)...and.......maybe some minor cosmetics?

Powertrain and frame/underside exactly the same. Sometimes a Chevy gets a GMC tailgate by mistake...due to the fact like I said...they are built on the same line...by the same people.

Some GMC fans will say GMC gets lock washers...but that's just a hoot.

I, like most people, went for the Chevrolet...why buy a truck that looks like a big carp or Large mouth bass going down the road?

Good luck

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    still cracks me up when I hear it...

the only GMC truck I would consider would be the new AWD C series with the 6.0. and only cause Chevy doesn't have one...my $.02

Dean
    came up woth Large mouth bass?...and I said a carp...after he said that..That's all I see when I see one!

GMC is ugly..

- Tim
    except Denali....I like those
    Terradyne....if GMC came out with that exactly as it was at the auto show...and Chevy didn't have it..I would be a GMC man

- Tim
    didn't care about Denali as the wife drives that. She was following me one day on the freeway and all I noticed in the rear view mirror was that huge hole in the front...LOL

Is the Terradyne supposed to be a one ton?

Dean
    ....but it was cool styling..
  • sir_colsir_col Member Posts: 25
    Where can one find more material on the GMC 2001 C-class?
  • sir_colsir_col Member Posts: 25
    I looked this site over and will look for the new truck, many thanks.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    The sierra is pretty sweet with the 6.0. That sounds like an advantage to me if comparing half-tons. Who cares about looks when buying a work vehicle?

the trap is set....LOL!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Go there man

Ryan
    you won't get deleted at:

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/index.htm

- Tim
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    large mouth bass look. Actually, I just don't like the squinty headlights in the Silverado, and I think the grille area looks too busy.

To each his own. The only differences are the sheetmetal and the names of the colors.

My GMC is Fire Red. Is that Carmine Red to you, Ryan?
    No carmine is more maroon. What is the silverado red called? I think just plain red. GMC also has the carmine color but is it claled carmine?

Ryan
    In the Sierra it is called Dark Toreador Red Metallic. Don't think I could drive something with a color named that. I'd be embarassed to answer the question "What color is it?"

Peter
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Dark Toreador Red? Would go great with Rich Corinthian Leather. Eat ease oil eye vant in a kard.
  • leathal02leathal02 Member Posts: 114
    victory red?

thats what my '99 is called
    don't think the C series 1/2 tons are for work. Not with two tone leather and a $40k sticker. I know I wouldn't buy one for any of my crews or foreman for that matter...Payroll deduction, I may consider tho... ;)

This truck appears to be more of a yuppy type of truck even though it has the 6.0 and AWD. In fact, I think I may be in the market for one as my truck has qualified for lemon law as of this writing. Just got to get over that big mouth bass look....
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    The headlights are actually better (r.e.: better range) than the Chevy. Also, the trim panel on top of the bumper is painted to match, not cheap looking black pebbled plastic as it is on the Chevy. And front tow hooks are standard on the GMC.
    is that what you get for the $300 more for the GMC?
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I think when I did a side by side sticker comparison between my Sierra and a Silverado,the real difference was about 75 bucks,not 300.My truck had a couple of small items listed as standard that the Chevy didn't have,Along with the tow hooks,and better lights(?).
    - Tim
    the cosmetics, as I also have a '00 Denali, but the dealer's service department's willingness to work with you on whatever warranty issues that may arise...fact of the matter though, GM dealership's service usually sucks....that's generally speaking of course. Hopefully, there will be changes in the trucks cause what I've seen of problems in both GM's trucks and service departments make me want to buy a .....
  • lincoln5lincoln5 Member Posts: 40
    I agree with obyone. I chose a GM over the Chevy strictly on the dealer's reputation. I think the other thing to consider is the question of whether the dealer has a truck on his lot that is optioned the way you want yours.(Or even close to what you want in the way of options.) That way you can really test drive the truck. With all of the problems that have existed you can get a better idea of what you are getting.
    dealers also have wayyy less trucks to work on as well..

may be a factor?

- Tim
    Ok yesterday when i got to school i got a great parking spot right next to a GMC 1500 ext cab Z71 (black - pewter). We both pulled in forward right next to each other. Both identical trucks except for the brand (gmc and chevy) and color. Well i got out started walking away turned back and noticed something. My rear end was alot higher up than the gmc. We were both parked on level ground. I even asked a friend what he thought. My truck overall seemed to be 2-3+ inches taller or sitting up higher. Even my 3rd brake light on the cab seemed to be higher. Anyone else notice this??? The gmc didnt have anything in the bed either both were empty.

Ryan
    maybe he had a drop kit installed...more likely his springs have settled or sagging and in need of replacement...both are known issues with GM. Then again he could have velvet ride shackles...or maybe it's a 2wd with fake Z71 stickers....bottom line, too many variables...would have been easier if you had asked the owner of the Sierra...my $.02

Dean
    No drop kit. It was a 4wd. I doubt velvet ride shakles. Some lady drives it.

I was thinking something with the springs too. The truck was a 99 i believe.

You know what i kinda like now about the GMC is the front where the chevy has that plastic piece gmc has that painted the truck color looks sharp. Especially on this black/pewter truck. I think i have a new color in mind. Black/gray.

Ryan
    the painted bumpers while the Chevy has those bumpy grey plastic ones...
    All leaf springs will sag to some degree, more or less, over time. There are local companies that do nothing but re-arc leaf springs, and add leafs (Are they leaves when springs? Or do leaves have to be veggies? LOL)
    keep it simple now...LOL

Dean
  • steve239steve239 Member Posts: 1
    would account for some difference in height. Did you notice the size of tires on each truck?
    P265 firestones like mine

Ryan
  • illiwilliw Member Posts: 3
    My new 2000 Silverado extended cab short box truck
    gives a jittery ride. A dealer I took it to says that is is normal. My son's truck (identical, except long box) rode jittery too. New tires improved the ride somewhat. Other people I spoke with who own this truck claim a bumpy ride too.
    One man's comment was, "my 1998 Chevy truck was smooth as silk. They had a good thing and messed it up." What's your experience with the new Silverado? Is there a fix for its bumpy ride?

I'd appreciate your comment.

Illiw
    change the shocks....2 or 4wd? doesn't make that much of a difference tho...

Dean
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    obyone's response (last post) unfortunately didn't help his problem with his truck.

What is your pickup .... 2WD or 4WD?

I replaced the shocks (Edelbrock IAS shocks) & ride shackles (BF Goodrich Velvet-Ride), the ride & handling on my truck is GREAT!
    After installation of velvet ride shackles, tire spin at half throttle from stop is very easy. Has me somewhat concerned about traction as it never did it before without the velvet ride...

Dean
    Solution for jittery ride...

Drop the tire pressures.
    It's a 2 wheel drive. I have lowered the tire pressure, but no dice. A 1500 lbs. load made no difference either. The velvet shackles and new shocks I'll look into. Hope the cost is not prohibitive.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Illiw
    Please explain...
    When carrying 1500 pounds on the back of my truck, its rough ride characteristics remain the same as when empty. This is enigmatic to me too. It makes no difference how much weight I carry. The ride is always bumpy.

Illiw
  • sabot1sabot1 Member Posts: 28
    Illiw,
    Sounds to me like you got one of the bad ones. Some of the Silervado/Sierra trucks shake and vibrate beyond reason. Nothing can be done to solve the problem but your dealer will try everything; new tires, rebend your springs, new springs, lube everything, rebalance tires, new wheels and tires (again maybe up to four or five sets). In the end you'll be doing buy back. I really hope what you are planning works but from everything I've read; don't count on it.

Phil
  • tedo1tedo1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all: I've read the Sierra & Silverado postings for quite some time now... I finally did it. I purchased a GMS SLT Z71 Extended cab in Blue/Pewter. Beautiful truck! Got a 1000 miles on and it runs/rides great! I drove several before purchase and I did notice that some trucks vibrated considerably, while others didn't. I bought one that didn't...
    Some info on my purchase. I got the truck for $600 over invoice (Koons GMC in VA). I bought the GMC instead of a chevy because A) I liked the dealer better B) I thought it easier to configure the GMC where Chevy used a confusing list of packages... I noticed little difference in price, but I did notice that the Chevy seemed cheaper inside (subjective opinion). I've got several tankfuls at 16 MPG, I put a Herculiner bed in it immediately (brush & roller).

My ride does not seem jittery (could be opinion), but I put Michelins LTX on it almost immediately.

I am tempted though to hike over to the salvage yard and purchase some cadillac visors... I imagine they should be an easy swap... The Truck visors are single and actually fairly small for such a large window.
  • whitefeather1whitefeather1 Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone see this article where they tested the Chevy, GMC, Toyota Tundra, Ford and Dodge? They came with quite a few differences with the Chevy and GMC. Chevy a bit quicker unloaded in acceleration and GMC quite a bit worse in gas mileage. I think the Chevy turned in about the EPA estimates while the GMC was in the 13mpg average range.

Can anyone dispell these results? I personally like the GMC "look" better and am hoping the mileage thing was a fluke.
    I have an 00 Sierra, 5.3l, 3.73 rear locker, P255/70R16 Generals. I get about 16.5 in daily driving, about 65% at 30-45 and 35% at 60 -65 mph. Based on a 180 mile trip at 70, I expect about 20 on all hwy. The tank that included that trip came in at 17.9 mpg.

Did they say what rear axle the tested Sierra had. City driving with a 4.10 would give 13 -14.

Peter
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    choices are identical. Chevy and GMC have the same engines, transmissions, rear axles, ect. available to each. Of course, there are several different combinations that can be assembled. With three engines, two transmissions, and three or four rear axle ratios, as well as two- or four-wheel drive, the possibilities are wide ranging.
  • valleyvolvalleyvol Member Posts: 6
    The mileage for my Silverado seems to be higher than those I've seen posted. I have a 2000 model extended cab with the 5.3L engine, 3.42 axle, 2wd, automatic transmission, P255 70R16 Goodyear tires. I get 17mpg around town and 21 mpg cruising on long interstate trips at 70mph. The ride is also very smooth. I've seen other postings about bumpy rides. I have no complaints at all. Did I just get lucky and get a good one?
    you aren't as particular. What smooth to some may not be to others... ;)
This discussion has been closed.