Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• Options
    whitevette01whitevette01 Member Posts: 79
    The 00 Silverado came with P255/70 on all 5.
    Still in good shape so won't have to replace
    for awhile. That's if one giving the truck too
    doesn't pull to many burnouts.

Just looked under AV its got a 16" Firestone
    Wilderness for a spare.
  • Options
    timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    GM vehicles advertised as "positraction" through the years were actually limited slip. It is a better setup than Ford's limited slip, admittedly so by Ford enthusiasts.

The Av limited slip with the Z packages is good and helps in slippery situations. 2WD Z66 includes traction control to further help in slick conditions.

The Av has enough additional weight in the rear so that it should perform better than a traditional pickup. I'll stick to my 4WD, however.
  • Options
    Brad, you may want to check on the need for an alignment after turning up the torsion. I can't remember if Ryan had it done after raising his 'rado. I know other models require an FEA after adjusting due to the change in the front end geometry.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    yes i did get a front end alignment which i suggest you doing. I forget but i think it was the toe was off the most in one of the sides. I believe this was the case prior to lifting the front because it pulled to the right bad.

Also check out eatons site for info on their G80 option aka LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL

http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/prodinfo/products/index.html

• Options
    Fred, the Av is not advertised as watertight, but with use of a "water management system". Every effort is made to channel water away from or out of the cargo area. I've never had water on top of the mat, but some moisture does show underneath.

I did remove the mat a couple of weeks ago and applied a heavy coat of wax to the painted floor. It was dry when I put the mat back in; I should check and see how much moisture has collected. We've had some good fall rains that I've driven in.
  • Options
    The options list (even here on Edmunds) show "locking rear differential" which it is not. If you have ever been in a vehicle with a locker, you know the difference. Locking rears are made to go straight ahead and complain considerably when turning - crack and pop.
  • Options
    bshef1bshef1 Member Posts: 11
    for the alignment tip. I hope there is enought "travel" on the torsion to get it level. My local hookup for truck parts tells me he can get a 3" lift kit for the AV around $900. I would rather just use the torsion method (free+alignment).
    Can anyone explain how the self-dimming rear and sideview mirrors work? I had an idiot behind me last nite with his "mis-directed" fog-lights just absolutely "blasting" me, (like there was a nuclear explosion behind me). I've noticed sometimes all light in my rear and sideviews appears like a "muted-green" and other times I'm getting nuked.

Thanks
    Brad in SoCal
  • Options
    Read this

http://www.torquecontrol.eaton.com/whatsnew/chilton.html

It compares eatons LOCKING Differentional with a limited slip and open differential in various situations.

Heres an exert

"The locking differential engaged with no noises or vibrations. For many, the open differential experiences vibrations and harshness of movement. Nearly all respondents experienced an unusual or bothersome noise when using the limited slip differential.

Nearly all respondents noted that the locking differential, performed better than they had expected. While the open differential tended to perform about as expected and the limited slip differential performed with mixed reviews, no one found either of these two to perform better than they had expected. "

• Options
    midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    on the limited slip differential. It doesn't sound like it helps much based on that study article. What should help is the traction assistance feature, if it is anything like the traction control on my Pontiac. It prevents the tires from spinning when there is loss of friction between the tires and the road.

I've also been trying to find the Av's ratio of weight between the front and rear axles to compare it to other standard pickup trucks. I cannot find this information, even on the Chevy site.
  • Options
    dgardgar Member Posts: 10
    Any 2500's out there yet?
    Just ordered mine-Indigo 2WD 4.10 locking diff.
    protection package and all options but northface.

Anyone got a handle on MPG for the 8.1 & 4.10
    with the 4L80HD transmission. I'm thinking this
    transmission should get a little better mileage than the allison.

Been to the Silverado groups and it seems the
    2500HD's are getting 10-12 mpg
    but they all have the allison behind the 8.1's.
    Any way hoping for 12-14 when not towing but who knows?
  • Options
    ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Read the Owners manual or check out the Chevy website. They describe it there pretty well.

The Traction Assist will cause both wheels to drive when one wheel slips. I.e. Muddy roads or snow roads. Mine has worked for me several times on muddy roads.
  • Options
    Has anyone received a kit from GM that has some
    touch up paint. I have a small area on the hood
    that went through make ready.

I don't want the hood painted since could cause
    a bigger problem. So ask salesperson if could
    arrange for some. He said GM will send some in
    a kit.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong - the GM "locking rear" is the best factory unit out there. My point is that this "locking differential" is not a true locker. It slips until it detects a loss of traction and then grabs and locks. Combined with the traction control which senses slippage at the wheel electronically, this combination should do the best that a 2WD can possibly do in slick conditions.

Ryan, everything you read, even if it's on a website, is not gospel. Find someone with a locking rear end in their GM F-Body or Mustang bracket car and ask them for a ride. If they will, ask them to turn the car in the tightest turning radius. Tires will slip and bark, the rear will chatter and pop - that's a locker. The Eaton promo would more accurately use the term limited slip.
  • Options
    in your last paragraph you mention

"the rear will chatter and pop "

Everytime my locker kicks in the rear kinda hops and clatters. Lets you know its working
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    and my rear tires squeal going around corners more than any other vehicle I've had.
  • Options
    No pop or squeal from my Av yet. A friend's 1979 Z28 when new would chatter and pop like crazy until he added GM's posi additive. I have used the additive in my '79 TA, but have never experienced any chatter. The Eaton info mentions no need for special additives on the new units.
  • Options
    Go easy on the gas pedal!
  • Options
    Like the comment above but with a 73 Trans Am. The
    rear would pop in a tight turn. Would just
    have to drop off at the dealer to have the
    rear fluid changed. The 77 and 82 never made the
    sound. 73 was only one.
  • Options
    hurst3hurst3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 5.3 w/ 4.10 gears av. I am getting at best 13 miles per gallon. I took it to the dealer and they stated that it is too early to tell be what could be wrong. It only has 4000 miles on it. They do need to replace a part, the Thottle Body. Would anyone know if this would contribute to the poor gas milage if the Throttle Body was letting in too much air!!

Email Bilhurst@concentric.net
  • Options
    hurst3hurst3 Member Posts: 3
    I remember reading a posting concerning differnt links to a report of different things that could be wrong with the 5.3 lit engine in the av. I think it is somewhere in these 1000 messages. Can someone help me!!!!!!..

Email bilhurst@concentric.net
  • Options
    cuss1cuss1 Member Posts: 17
    If your throttle body is malfunctioning, I would imagine that WOULD have an impact on your mileage. Get the new TB and monitor your mileage. Even the 4.10 rear should not make such a difference. Other posts here you'll see are getting higher mileage than 13.
  • Options
    gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone popped for the GM brush guard for their AV yet? I am thinking about it, but I want to get an idea what I am getting into before I commit. The part is now listed at gmpartsdirect.com for $352.21 [GM Part #12497622]
  • Options
    jkkooikerjkkooiker Member Posts: 2
    gerrick -

Here is a link that I found on the gm-trucks.com forum with pictures of someone's Av with the brush guard and other accessories:

http://www.shakeitoff.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Pictures&file=index&do=showgall&gid=6

It looks pretty good. I have been reading this board from the beginning and I think this is the week to go pick out an Av. Thay all seem to have the running board sidesteps which I will have to negotiate off the vehicle, because those tube-steps look much better. I know all of the options I want so now it comes down to color. Any owners have regrets on color choice? I love the blue but I think it may need daily washes up here in rainy Seattle...

• Options
    brmiller2000brmiller2000 Member Posts: 1
    jkkooiker:

I have the Indigo Blue in semi-rainy Salem, OR... No regrets. It does spot when it rains (and dries), but that's just life, I guess. I just keep washing it. What's worse then water spots is driving down to California, getting all dusty, and then driving through Oregon and getting wet--then you have dirt/water spots. Yuck! But this would happen on any color.

Here's my blue one: http://www.kudzuforest.com/avalanche/avalanche_on_driveway_small.jpg

Good luck!

• Options
    dallisdallis Member Posts: 8
    if any bodys interested i can get you a smoking deal on a avalanche in the north east, simply post the unit you want with the best deal you can get(please be honest,proof may be required)and ill get a price for you.im working with a guy who has the sharpest pencil around and a good amount of inventory.no bs either just the price + 189 doc fee and tax were applicable.
  • Options
    frankfx1frankfx1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,

As I drove home tonight on highway 101 in the California Bay Area,
    a flatbed vehicle carrier pulled on the freeway with a black Z71 on
    back. I spotted the "California Concepts" sticker on the tailgate and
    realized the on ramp it came on is where CC has there shop. The
    AV had no plates and a Pittsburg chevy dealership frame. It was clear
    that this AV was on it way back to the dealership after getting the
    treament from Californa Concepts. ( for those of you who may not know,
    CC is a custimization shop that does alot of truck and SUV custimization)
    Aside from the large chrome aftermarket wheels, the cladding was painted
    (or treated some how). It was a flat black color that looked really clean
    and made the truck just gleam. I wish I had a digital camera. Has anyone
    seen this treatment on the cladding? It almost looked like someone applied
    shoe polish to the cladding....it was not shiney at all but dull and flat....

Joe
  • Options
    In your opinion, which AV color holds up best to the dust and grime? One of the cars I own is a silver color, and it almost never looks like it needs to be washed. I also have a bright red car that always looks clean. So far I've heard that the blue is a dust magnet, and I know it's tough to keep black looking clean.

Which AV color looks the best with the gray body cladding? I haven't seen any red AV's out there yet, has anybody else?

Also, does anybody have the tan-colored cloth interior? How does it hold up to usage, especially if kids or dogs are riding in the truck? Both vehicles I currently own have a dark gray interior, which holds up well, but is kind of monotonous.
  • Options
    as you say "opinions" but I think most would agree the neutral colors on any vehicle (silver, tan, pewter) are difinitely the best for not showing dust and dirt. I've owned vehicles in various shades of red, black, silver, green, whiite and when you sit looking out across the hood they ALL look dusty! Personally for contrast and overall look I prefer black on the Av. Pewter has the least contrast so the cladding shows up the least with it. Storm Gray would probably look good too but don't think I've seen one. Must not be an Av color. I also like the White for contrast.
    I have the light tan (Neutral) interior in my Polo Green Sierra and like it real well on the upholstery. Floor mats that light are hard to keep looking clean. I never like the Oak in the Chevy mainly beacuse of the print. More subdued in the Sierra and with the darker colors in the Chevy. IMHO
    BTW, a lot has to do with how well you keep the finish too. I had a Black '85 Silverado that had such a beautiful finish it looked better than most black vehicles even when it was dirty. I bought it used and have no idea what had been used on it.
  • Options
    rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    How water tight is the cargo area of Avalanche? How secure? Is it as good as say a fiberglass cover on a regular bed?
  • Options
    lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    While I have toured a few dealer lots and played with one open display vehicle here at work, I haven't had a chance to really look at the seals. I did notice that they have a new gutter system down the inside of the bed to "manage" water. THis basically means they know it's going to leak but if they manage it properly it won't be a problem.

On another note, I saw the Cadillac version today in pearl white and it looked so much nicer. If Chevy would paint the cladding, I'd be in line to buy one, as it is, I will ride out my lease on my current vehicle and wait for something else.
  • Options
    The Av bed with the hard covers and locking tailgate should be every bit as secure as a fiberglass cover. My bed has had not water on top of the mat.

I was down a long dusty road yesterday and there was a lot of dust in the back clinging to the sides and on the mat. The dust came up through the water drains.
  • Options
    dnorstar2dnorstar2 Member Posts: 3
    While the Chevy AV does offer rather unique styling with the plastic cladding, the distraction and possibly the benefits will out weigh the additional cost (over 52K) for the Caddy version. Not to mention the loss in gas mileage with the Caddy's larger engine. Following Caddy's depreciation history with their cars, I am very happy with my Chevy AV and the extra dollars saved over it's new cousin.
  • Options
    Several posts back, someone mentioned the addition of a quality replacement dual exhaust system for the Chevy AV. Does anyone know the name or location of this type of exhuast system. Thank you
  • Options
    gandolphxxgandolphxx Member Posts: 19
    Check out Gibson - nice selection for the 1500 - also think they have figured out the 2500 - I am ordering tomorrow. Got to get a little rumble to match the beast.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com

• Options
    cuss1cuss1 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks gandolphxx. I have been looking for aftermarket exhaustes. Flowmaster is working on a solution, but nothing stock to offer yet.

Which Gibson exhaust did you go with? Install yourself? Slip / bolt on? Sound? Performance? Impression of their quality and durability?
  • Options
    avalanchefngavalanchefng Member Posts: 6
    Please tell me more about this GM Supplier deal -- and, do you have the info on who to contact to become an "employee" ?? If you prefer to contact me off of the list, my email is "williamjeffersonklinton@hotmail.com". And, no, I'm not really the former Presidential pervert . . .I prefer thin interns . . . THANKS.
  • Options
    First let me admit I am not a mechanic. The Gibson products seem to get consistently high ratings across the net and reviews - I liked their specs. I have an AV 2500 - not many of us - hard to find aftermarket stuff - but I want performance that matches the gas mileage.

Trick is to figure out what is like your truck - 01 Suburbans and Silverados have the same engine - undercarriage is similar to sub or Yukon XL - same assembly plant in Mexico so I hear. K&N gen II probably works from one of those - check the install specs - I am working from Silverado 2500HD 8.1L specs.

Real trick is headers and a programmer to make it all work.
  • Options
    Does anybody know when the Av is scheduled for crash testing? Since it's built on the Suburban platform, will it be similar? I could not find Suburban crash test results either.
  • Options
    a Flowmaster muffler and take it to any reputable muffler shop and have an exhaust system fabricated. I've had several done at the local Mieneke Muffler shop. All aluminized so not rusting and cheaper than most of the complete catback systems, which still need to be insatlled.
  • Options
    mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    When will Chevy offer the Duramax diesel in the 2500 Avalanche?
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    You said you got dust inside, I was wandering if you take that same dusty road and have the part that folds down into the back seat down, will that dust fog you out in the driving compartment?
    Seems like with all the knowledge out there, they could design a filter to let water drain out and keep the elements from coming in.
  • Options
    The dust wouldn't have fogged you out; it was just enough to cling to anything plastic with a little static. There was a heavier layer on the mat near the drains.

Are the bucks moving up in your area yet? I saw just three small guys over the weekend. I got two large does Sunday, keeping the population in check. You gotta love Pike Co. IL!

mbatch - no word on the DMax in the Av. Originally it was said that it would not be offered - look for it in the 2500 Sub and Yukon XL first. I think the demand is high enough in the HDs that supply is a problem.
  • Options
    wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Does anyone have or know of a cassette player unit that GM makes for the Avalanche? If available, I would assume that this would be very similar to the center console unit that is in the Silverado. If anyone has info including a GM part no. I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • Options
    Thank you gandolphxx for the information on the add-on exhaust system for the Chevy AV. From what I am able to read about it on-line it appears to offers different levels based on an individuals performance/sound requirements. Gibson has a strong reputation. You mentioned you were going to order today; what did you order and is it a fair price? Are you going to install yourself? Sorry for being a bit nosey, just interested if I am able to handle the job myself. Thank you.
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    The rut isn't quite here yet, due to work this year, took last week off, got 2 does and a medium 6 pointer, have a few more doe tags and gun buck tag left. I have heard of those Pike Co. bucks
  • Options
    wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    I've crawled under my Ave to inspect the exhaust system and it all looks to be designed real well without any restrictive areas in the tubing. The only gains to be made from my estimation is to go with a less restrictive muffler and/or go to the expense of changing the cats out for hi-flow ones. The muffler seems to be the obvious piece where performance can be gained at a reasonable price. Has anybody changed theirs out yet? Other than Gibson - which is mentioned in the earlier posts to the board - has anybody checked out Flowmaster, Dynomax or others? Thanks.
  • Options
    robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    The same unit shipped in the Tahoe will work. According to the service manager he was willing to install it for $400 (unit included). I really don't need a tape head that bad, will simply use the CD burner on my computer and convert the tapes to CD's. Much cheaper.....

Bear
  • Options
    I agree that the layout is good - dual cats on my 2500 - wanted the sound - reduced restriction - have ordered:

SINGLE SIDE EXIT-
    This kit is the ultimate power-producing performance exhaust for towing,and pulling power. Nice deep throaty sound at the tailpipe but still quiet inside the cab. Follows O.E.routing and exits in stock location with a large polished stainless tip. The part number that you will need is # 315531 for aluminized or # 615531 for stainless steel. This kit will fit the Avalanche 2500 models.

Not cheap - 500+ - dealer will install - I dont do welding - dont have a lift.

Also: If you go to K&N website and search by vehicle you will find a genII FIPK for the 1500 - also filter replacements for 2500 - still betting that Silverado 8.1L FIPK will work.
  • Options
    Wayne - The tape deck from the Sub/Tahoe/'rado will fit. The dealer I talked to said that the harness was not there to complete the hookup and it was not available yet from Delco Electronics. He said we should check into it again at the end of the year. Price for the deck is in the $200 range.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Perhaps you will have better luck than I and at least one other rado owner had. The swept side, single in single out side exit was very quiet at idle and produced a pretty good sound at WOT. The problem that it produced was at highway speed in the 1500 - 1800 rpm range. The in cab resonance was intolerable. It also created a loss of lowend performance but produced more power at high rpms. Apparently, there was a lack of back pressure which the vortec motors require to perform optimally. I have since replaced it with a PV system and regained low end performance and lost the in cab resonance.

Perhaps it will work better on the Ave as the setup is not identical to the rado.

'00 Silverado xcab 5.3l
This discussion has been closed.