Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New generation fullsize Chevy running lights, what's up?

hemiheadhemihead Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Hey everybody,

I have noticed that most 99+ new generation
Chevy fullsizes I have seen have the driver's side
running light out. Probably 1 out of every three I
see on the road do. Just think that's weird and
am wondering if any of you new fullsizers out there
have done anything about it. I drive a 97 S-10
that has had plenty of problems of it's own, but I
think that fullsize thing is weird, those are
friggen new trucks, not supposed to happen. That
would be warrentied of course, but if it's so
common, shouldn't they post a service bulletin?

Cheers,
RYan

Comments

• rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    Ryan,
    Maybe the one out of three that you have observed have only figured out how to solve half of the DRL problem. I wish them luck on the passenger side. :)
    Rich
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    9.5 out of 10 Audi's have their rear tail lights messed up. Those cars start around 38K+ and most of them have faulty wiring. GM is just trying to keep up with the Germans :)
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I have seen that too...I see more and more of them as months go by.

Mine is fine though

- Tim
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    It is my understanding that the light housings are not properly sealed allowing moisture to get in and cause the bulbs to fail.

I have my own thought on it though.If you look closely at the bulbs they are a dual element bulb such as the bulbs used in most tail/turn/brake lights.The bulbs are designed to be run so the dimmer element is lit (tail light) and the brighter one is for periodic use (turn/brake light usage)and GM has this bulb running on the brighter element causing a lot of heat in a small light housing so I think the excess heat is a large part of the problem.
    I did something different and changed out my clear bulbs for some amber ones such as in the GM mini vans and some Buick cars.I did it to give a personnel touch to my truck not because I had one out.My truck is a 2000 2500 LT ext.cab 4dr.
    Andrew
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    They drive alot during the day and the DRLS are on alot. ??? I have seen many trucks with a DRL out. Everyone of them has been the drivers side. Wierd conspiracy like

Ryan
    Why do we not see the 1996-1999 c/k trucks with the lights out as those lights are on as long as the truck is running.

Andrew
    Thats why i am just saying its a theory. Gotta touch all bases.

I did hear about the moisture getting into the lamp though. I am guessing that is the reason why they are out. That or cheap bulbs

Care: you said you put amber lights into yours. Any other colors you know of that can be added???

Ryan
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    maybe you could try fluorecent bulbs? My theory on the DRL's (both of mine are ok so farr but my reverse has gone out on one side) is that GM uses CHEAP bulbs. The replacement bulb for my reverse light cost $3 for two. Now that's CHEAP in this age of inflated prices. And what would one expect for $3 these days...can't even buy a meal at McD's...just my opinion.

P.S.-Ryan, let me know if the fluorecent bulbs work and if you find one at Menards that fits.

Dean
    if i find it at menards (haha yea right) $3 x .1 (discount) = $2.70 haha

I was thinking maybe like a blue color but i dont know if the police would like that?

Ryan
    I only seen a blue light bulb that would fit,I seen it about 1-1/2 years ago at an auto show.I don't think it would be legal?
    Andrew
    Flashing blue lights would even be better hahaha

Ryan
    legal. Best way to get arrested for DUI is drinking and driving with blue lights...
    like the xmas blinker bulb lights put a red and blue in and see how much fun you could have. Oh boy sounds like a plan for this weekend

Ryan
    been kinda quiet lately. Hmmm...come to think of it where's Quad? Oh well, I guess they got better things to do. Where's red....Hmmm maybe a conspiracy or a Meredith boycott perhaps?....what was the topic anyway...oh yeah, lights...yep, mine still work.

Dean
    ..although he wishes his head could be cut off for a few days and fixed....

Don't tell babs about Florescent bulbs Oby....now we are gonna see a Blue Ado at menards with a 4 foot shop light on each side in the front

LOL

- Tim
    No tim i already installed blue blinker bulbs from some xmas lights. We are gonna see how the police like it haha

Ryan

O yea SAVE BIG MONEY AT MENARDS (for those of you that dont know that jingle be happy you have never heard it)
    ...should you have saved your moolah on them tail light guards?

I can get ya a set of cool black divider like taillights....whole assembly. Look at the tail light assembly....imagine a black divider between all the different colors..as well as the outline....it changes the entire look all together..

..at least I used to be able to get them

- Tim
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Menards? Must be all of those imported items....

LOLL!!
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen." It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.