Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    rockthompsonrockthompson Member Posts: 3
    I got rid of my 2003 Nissan SE-R because I was getting 22 MPG in town and 31 on the highway. We got a new 2006 civic ex that was suppose to be 30/40. First tank was 29 mpg.... then 25...now we are consistantly getting 23..... HELP!
    the dealers says it's the cold weather and break in period. I say that is crap!!!! I have been driving for 30 years and have had plenty of 4 cyl. Cars that don't crap out in the cold as car as MPG's.
    I love everything about the car but this. The mileage is why I bought it in the first place. This is my first NEW CAR since 1988... I am highly disappointed.
  • Options
    civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    Have you installed a feedback gauge yet? If you have, has it helped you?

No, the only feedback gauge I found was ugly looking, and would clutter up the dash. For now, I'll just live without it.
  • Options
    earthearth Member Posts: 76
    I'm still getting 25 mpg city only driving, and don't press on the gas as some do. No highway driving yet, but my next car will be a hibrid or at least one that has a 35 mpg city, so that I know I will at least get 30 in the city. Keep that one until I get a Senior Citz Walker with a least two front wheels :shades:
  • Options
    newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    Bought my 06 civic sedan lx in october. After 2300 miles of 80% stop & go and 20% highway, I averaged 27 miles gallon overall to date. Last tank was 100% stop & go for 24.6mi/gal. I was hoping for a little better than what I'm getting. Other than MPG, I very happy with the car. The dealer told me the same thing about cold weather. We'll see.
  • Options
    warnerwarner Member Posts: 196
    I also have an '06 Civic (EX with auto) and over about 2,000 miles I'm averaging about 30 MPG. My worst tank was 27, and my best so far was about 33. I'm NOT driving it like a hyper-miler in any sense, but I'm also not beating the crap out of it. I feel certain that as the weather warms up a bit, I'll be averaging close to what I expect - about 35 MPG.

Warner
  • Options
    mjstenmjsten Member Posts: 17
    Appreciate the insight, but my problem is that I am NOT getting the 35 MPG, I am barely getting 30. SImply diappointing that,once again, I bought into an advertising inaccuracy.
  • Options
    newcivicmannewcivicman Member Posts: 14
    What percent stop & go driving vs highway miles do you drive?
  • Options
    dbrosdbros Member Posts: 81
    Mileage: 21,000

Average Mileage: 27-28 that's 100% city driving and usually hitting the redline. :)
  • Options
    Replying to: warner (Jan 09, 2006 12:45 pm)

What percent stop & go driving vs highway miles do you drive?

It really varies. My commute to and from work is roughly 2 miles at what would be considered "city" driving, then 15 miles of what would be considered "highway" driving (albeit it is in rush-hour every day, so often times it can be stop and go even though I'm on the tollway), followed by another 3 miles of what would be considered "city" driving. So that's the 20 miles each way to work and back. After work, I'd say most of the miles would be considered "city" - normal neighborhood stuff...anywhere from 30mph to 50mph speed limits.

Hope this helps,

Warner
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    27-28 that's 100% city driving and usually hitting the redline.

Well, I sure hope you use the "severe" maintenence schedule, for your car's sake!
  • Options
    dcv_2002dcv_2002 Member Posts: 25
    Well I just got my 1st tank of gas. Got 355 miles on 10.84 gallons. So I go 32.75 MPG on the first tank. Mainly commute back and forth to work 39 miles each way, for which 20 of those are usually in stop and go traffic. Hopefully it will inch up on the next tank full. Located on LI.
  • Options
    chuckd2chuckd2 Member Posts: 12
    I'm happy with my mileage. I am getting 29 mpg as the low (first tank) and 32.5 mpg best so far. It seems to be getting better the more it breaks in. I drive 63 miles each way to work, mostly highway driving. I set the cruise around 73mph usually. I usually romp through the gears once a day....I know thats bad but it's a SI!
  • Options
    pelliottpelliott Member Posts: 8
    When I first started driving I was getting about 31 MPG. Now I'm at 3000 miles and it's up to 33MPG or so. I just installed a Fujita air intake and wow, it feels like a new car...awesome. Took it to redline and it feels like a race car now. Next tank I'm going to drive conservative and see what kind of MPG I get, will post the number when I get thru the tank :shades: by the way, Fujita's is the only intake out on the market for '06 Civic, I actually got one of the first ones as it JUST came out. Best deal is at ptuning.com $250. Respectable dyno results too, approx +6 HP(posted on website www.f5air.com)
  • Options
    When I first started driving I was getting about 31 MPG. Now I'm at 3000 miles and it's up to 33MPG or so. I just installed a Fujita air intake and wow, it feels like a new car...awesome. Took it to redline and it feels like a race car now. Next tank I'm going to drive conservative and see what kind of MPG I get, will post the number when I get thru the tank by the way, Fujita's is the only intake out on the market for '06 Civic, I actually got one of the first ones as it JUST came out. Best deal is at ptuning.com $250. Respectable dyno results too, approx +6 HP(posted on website www.f5air.com)

Can you tell me more about the Fujita intake? Did you install it yourself? Is it emissions legal? And you can really notice a difference in POWER (as opposed to just being louder)?

Let me know and thanks,

Warner
  • Options
    When I first started driving I was getting about 31 MPG. Now I'm at 3000 miles and it's up to 33MPG or so. I just installed a Fujita air intake and wow, it feels like a new car...awesome. Took it to redline and it feels like a race car now. Next tank I'm going to drive conservative and see what kind of MPG I get, will post the number when I get thru the tank by the way, Fujita's is the only intake out on the market for '06 Civic, I actually got one of the first ones as it JUST came out. Best deal is at ptuning.com $250. Respectable dyno results too, approx +6 HP(posted on website www.f5air.com)

I just checked the dyno chart from the website that sells the intake. It looks to me like you make LESS power than the stock setup until almost 5500 rpm's. I don't do much driving at 5,500 rpm's and over so I think I'll be the stock intake, which makes more power across the board until the engine is nearing redline.

Warner
  • Options
    Warner,

Sorry to tell you this, but you're reading the Dyno wrong(below is the link to it)

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1920.gif

Ok, the two blue lines are stock. The blue one that starts lower is Horse Power, the blue one higher up is Torque. As you can see from the Orange lines(with the intake), the HP and torque are significantly improved even in the lower RPM's. You can definitely feel it driving, even when you're starting off. It feels like a new car now. It is only slightly louder...maybe just sounds a little different when idling and moving around 30 mph or so. The filter is way down in the lower left of the car so there's not as much noise. It's when you give it a good amount of gas is when you can really hear it. It definately is a lot peppier now all speed ranges, I installed it with my buddy in his garage last night. He races cars on weekends and knows what he's doing, there was no way I could've done it on my own in 2 hours like he did, was able to install it without taking off the bumper(went up underneath the wheel well) and took a bunch of plastic parts off of it. Only thing I'm worried about it hitting a huge puddle, might want to get a splash guard or some kind of cover for it, though it isn't down too low in the car. Any other questions just ask.
  • Options
    also, as for being emmisions legal, it's still being approved in California(could take a few months) but most of their intakes get the approval. I live in Texas and they're legal here, not as strict on pollution. It's different depending what state you live in, I think they're illegal in Illinois, could be wrong. Just gotta research it.
  • Options
    Warner,

Sorry to tell you this, but you're reading the Dyno wrong(below is the link to it)

Ok, the two blue lines are stock. The blue one that starts lower is Horse Power, the blue one higher up is Torque. As you can see from the Orange lines(with the intake), the HP and torque are significantly improved even in the lower RPM's. You can definitely feel it driving, even when you're starting off. It feels like a new car now. It is only slightly louder...maybe just sounds a little different when idling and moving around 30 mph or so. The filter is way down in the lower left of the car so there's not as much noise. It's when you give it a good amount of gas is when you can really hear it. It definately is a lot peppier now all speed ranges, I installed it with my buddy in his garage last night. He races cars on weekends and knows what he's doing, there was no way I could've done it on my own in 2 hours like he did, was able to install it without taking off the bumper(went up underneath the wheel well) and took a bunch of plastic parts off of it. Only thing I'm worried about it hitting a huge puddle, might want to get a splash guard or some kind of cover for it, though it isn't down too low in the car. Any other questions just ask.

You're right man, I WAS reading the graph wrong! (you'd think I'd have it straight by now after helping my 12 year old with his math homework!). Interesting. Let me know how it works out longer term and especially if it helps with fuel economy. I would NOT want to hear a noticeable increase in cabin noise though....I really like how quiet the new Civic is compared to the 2004 that I traded in on it.

Warner
  • Options
    Warner,

PS - I SHOULD have known as well because ALL torque and horsepower curves cross at 5250 rpm's and that's what I was seeing!
  • Options
    2nd tank of gas. 383.2 miles on 10.418 gallons = 36.78 MPG. Same driving conditions, however limited my acceleration to keep RPM's under or at 2000RPM for all gears except last gear, got an extra 4MPG.
  • Options
    earthearth Member Posts: 76
    What is wrong with people when they list their miles per gallon and fail each, and every time, it seems like, in not telling us if its city driving or highway driving. Or how much city and how much highway. Telling us you get so and so miles per gallon tells us only half the story and is now useless without the rest of it. Is it half city and half highway or what for goodness sakes ???
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    CHILL! Yes, it would be nice, but don't get ugly about it!
  • Options
    mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    My mileage has been a very big dissapointment. Traded an 04 Ex manual that used to get in the low 30s consistently except for the odd tank in the high 20s. My mileage in this car (06 ex auto) has been 27, 28, 29 and then 28 again. I have mostly highway miles to and from work. However, the highways of new york city are far from straight and require constant changes in acceleration. There is also the occaisional traffic jam or driving around in Brooklyn where they have decided that no two lights should EVER be synchronized. I know my driving paths are not condusive to good mileage. But still it should be better. Right??? Will have to check the tires again tommorow.
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I don't think I'd be too disappointed with the mileage you're getting, considering the change from manual to auto and to a slightly heavier and more powerful Civic. My new Civic EX auto continues to get 31-32 mpg in what I would characterize as a 50/50 driving mix. It sounds like your commute is tougher for good mileage. I do about 15 miles each way with just a few (5-6 mi.) straight highway (50-60 mph) and the rest cutting through residential streets to avoid the craziness. No straight city driving, but 7 or 8 traffic lights. Another big factor, apparently, is cold weather for decreasing mileage. I'm thinking that, come summer, I might see 35 mpg with careful driving. I haven't done a road trip yet to measure straight highway mileage. It's a rare car that gets mileage equal to the EPA ratings. I'm enjoying my Civic, and figure, short of a diesel or hybrid, I'm doing about as good as can be expected for an automatic with the power and weight of this vehicle.
  • Options
    I like your usage of bold in your response. You really must be angry. It must be tough when you get angry at a simple forum post where someone was simply relaying their MPG. I'm sorry I didn't think that I needed to state in every post I make on this board whether its city or highway driving. If you looked at my first post, the post that I was replying to, it states there what my driving is like.

Let's see. After I filled up my gas tank. I got into my car, started it up, put the car in drive. Then I proceed to drive on a highway for 12 miles where the speed limit was 45 mph. Then I drove...
  • Options
    Question: When you accelerate from a stop or slow speeds, do you floor it. What are your RPM's when you accelerate. Do you slam on the breaks to stop, or coast to a stop. I think this, in general, is where you can get your biggest improvement in MPG. I modified my driving on my 2nd tank of gas and saw an improvement of 4 MPG by simply slowing down my acceleration. I try not to go over ~2000RPM when accelerating. I ignore that in 5th gear (AT) as I regularly go 68-72mph. I drive 39 miles each way on the LIE daily for which about 20 miles is in stop and go traffic.

However, there is a drawback. You drive like a "grandma" (sorry if I offend anyone) at slow speeds.
  • Options
    mcapmcap Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for your responses. I actually feel better after reading them. I think anyone who plunks down 16 - 18 grand (short of being very wealthy) may tend to overeact to such things....I certainly do.

To answer the questions, I try to keep the RPMs low and I don't floor it from a stop. However, driving in NYC is not like in other cities from what I have seen. They don't drive any faster but there is no shoulder on many of the highways and the lanes are curvy and small. You have to drive aggressively at times even if it isn't your preference. So there are plenty of times the RPMs hit 3K and above!! That probably accounts for my lesser mileage.

The car is generally great though and I am really enjoying it. Anyone who steps in comments on how cool it is.
  • Options
    I don't think I'd be too disappointed with the mileage you're getting, considering the change from manual to auto and to a slightly heavier and more powerful Civic. My new Civic EX auto continues to get 31-32 mpg in what I would characterize as a 50/50 driving mix. It sounds like your commute is tougher for good mileage. I do about 15 miles each way with just a few (5-6 mi.) straight highway (50-60 mph) and the rest cutting through residential streets to avoid the craziness. No straight city driving, but 7 or 8 traffic lights. Another big factor, apparently, is cold weather for decreasing mileage. I'm thinking that, come summer, I might see 35 mpg with careful driving. I haven't done a road trip yet to measure straight highway mileage. It's a rare car that gets mileage equal to the EPA ratings. I'm enjoying my Civic, and figure, short of a diesel or hybrid, I'm doing about as good as can be expected for an automatic with the power and weight of this vehicle.

I can give my personal experience on this one as well. I traded in my 2004 Civic 5-speed on a 2006 Civic auto. On the 2004 5-speed, I would average about 35 mpg fairly consistently with mixed driving - about 20 miles each way to work with 15 of them on the highway, but not always at highway speeds (rush-hour in the Chicago area). With my 2006 Civic auto, I'm getting about 30-31mpg. Let me state that I am a fairly aggressive driver and would certainly get better mileage if I drove in a way that stressed me out (granny style). I'd rather get 3 or 4 mpg less and drive the way that I want to, though. 30mpg is still nothing to sneeze at. And, I just realized yesterday how much more powerful the 2006 is than the 2004. If your mileage really sucks, CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE. I increased mine to 41 pounds and it did go up 1 or 2 mpg with no noticeable difference in ride quality or traction.

Hope this helps,

Warner
  • Options
    Well, finished my first full tank since putting in the air intake. I do a lot of commuting, is often bumper to bumper. I'd say city vs highway 50/50. I was averaging 33 MPG for numerous tanks before the intake. This tank I went down to 32. However, I was using Corner Store gas, kinda junky gas in my opinion....plus I couldn't help but blast the engine several times(still enjoying my intake, come on!). So, with that said, I have put Exxon gas in there this time and will try not to stomp on the accelerator. Will let you know how this one turns out. I do remember getting switching to lower grade gas and dropping to about 31 MPG pre-intake, so if that's the case then I'm guessing the intake adds 1 MPG, maybe 2. We'll see. :confuse:
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Over time you will no doubt find that the brand of gas is immaterial, for both mileage and performance. Save your money and buy by price. Then again, you could fall for the big gas companies' expensive advertising and pay more. It's up to you.
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I definitely agree with blane about just getting the best price for gas. They really are all the same, if the same grade. Those tanker trucks go from station to station pumping the same gas.
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    My ave. so far is 37.4 mpg. 25% city 75% hwy. And yes i do have fun with the car. Its seen its share of redline shifts, 0-60 runs. I dont granny it around at all.heres a log of my tanks from day one.">link title

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1820.html
  • Options
    chuckd2chuckd2 Member Posts: 12
    I notice others posting higher tire pressure than the car manual recommends. Is that a good idea? My 06 SI recommends only 29psi/front and 32psi/rear. To me that seems really low but I have kept it at that because the manual says so. I drive 63 miles each way to work. 45 miles is pure highway at 73-74mph with cruise on. The other 18 is a 50mph road with 6 lights. I average 30-32 mpg. I don't know if I should increase tire pressure, I don't know how that may affect tire wear, handling and the ride. Guess I could try it and see..
  • Options
    travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    I don't think it's a good idea myself,, i have a 06 ex and the recommended tire pressure on mine is 32psi on front and back. I keep mine at about 33psi. If you look at any tire care manual you will see that if your tires are under inflated the outside of them will wear quicker than the rest and if they are over inflated ,, example " 41psi" ,, the centers of your tires will wear quicker than the outside,, so i'd say it's a good idea to stick closely to what the tire specifications suggest. Sure,, you might get better gas mileage with higher tire pressure but you will also be spending $500 on a new set of tires alot sooner than expected.
  • Options
    It's not just the wear that should be of concern. When a tire is overinflated, its cross-section is "rounder". It is somewhat like riding on a ball. Your tire will have a narrower contact patch, the number of square inches in contact with the road. The less tire in contact with the road, the less control and the less safe.
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Ive been running my tire psi at or near max psi thats on the tires themslves for 25 years or better. I always get great mileage from my tires reguardless of brand or compounds. On my civic Im at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. 44psi is max rated on tire. Only down side is a firmer ride. MPG is better handeling is better and road noise is better. I will run them even higher when I start auto crossing the car this spring. As it is now I cornered it so hard I got on the sidewalls last week. I hate that washing wobbly feel just before one pulls a bead loose from the rim. This is on my 06 Civic EX sedan. I also run the same psi on our 05 Accord EX Sedan. Tires have 23k on them and look great. I run 35 psi in the tires on my 00 Ranger truck. 35 psi is max on side wall. There heapy cheapy Dougles Wal-mart tires. I got 52K out of the OEM Bridgestones on it. Second set where the heapy cheapy Dougles and I got 60k out of them. Its now on its thrid set of tires at 125k miles. I stick closer to what the tire manufacture has to say about psi. Heck with the car company. they build cars. Not tires.
  • Options
    Ive been running my tire psi at or near max psi thats on the tires themslves for 25 years or better. I always get great mileage from my tires reguardless of brand or compounds. On my civic Im at 42 psi front and 40 psi rear. 44psi is max rated on tire. Only down side is a firmer ride. MPG is better handeling is better and road noise is better. I will run them even higher when I start auto crossing the car this spring. As it is now I cornered it so hard I got on the sidewalls last week. I hate that washing wobbly feel just before one pulls a bead loose from the rim. This is on my 06 Civic EX sedan. I also run the same psi on our 05 Accord EX Sedan. Tires have 23k on them and look great. I run 35 psi in the tires on my 00 Ranger truck. 35 psi is max on side wall. There heapy cheapy Dougles Wal-mart tires. I got 52K out of the OEM Bridgestones on it. Second set where the heapy cheapy Dougles and I got 60k out of them. Its now on its thrid set of tires at 125k miles. I stick closer to what the tire manufacture has to say about psi. Heck with the car company. they build cars. Not tires.

Agreed. The tire manufacturers know where their tires work safely and best. If you stick with what's on the tire itself, you'll be fine. 41 PSI is NOT over-inflated on the 2006 Civic. Wasn't the Ford Explorer the victim of Ford ignoring and going against the inflation recommendation of the tire manufacturer? Yeah...those ones that kept flipping over? Remember that?

Warner
  • Options
    Everybody has there own opinion,i guess?!?! I do remember the whole Ford Explorer thing,, and if i remember right there problem was do to defective "Firestone Wilderness" tires,, not from tire pressure problems.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Understanding Tire Pressure and Load Limits

Tire inflation pressure is the level of air in the tire that provides it with load-carrying capacity and affects the overall performance of the vehicle. The tire inflation pressure is a number that indicates the amount of air pressure– measured in pounds per square inch (psi)–a tire requires to be properly inflated. (You will also find this number on the vehicle information placard expressed in kilopascals (kPa), which is the metric measure used internationally.)

Manufacturers of passenger vehicles and light trucks determine this number based on the vehicle's design load limit, that is, the greatest amount of weight a vehicle can safely carry and the vehicle's tire size.The proper tire pressure for your vehicle is referred to as the "recommended cold inflation pressure." (As you will read below, it is difficult to obtain the recommended tire pressure if your tires are not cold.)

Because tires are designed to be used on more than one type of vehicle, tire manufacturers list the "maximum permissible inflation pressure" on the tire sidewall. This number is the greatest amount of air pressure that should ever be put in the tire under normal driving conditions.

image of tires
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The wilderness tires exploded because they were underinflated. Lower pressure means more heat, and heat is what destroys a tire.

41 psi is no problem.
  • Options
    Yep ur right,,, the tread separated on the tires because ford recommended 26psi on them instead of 35psi
  • Options
    but i'm still not gonna run 41psi in mine,,, i like all of my tire tread to be on the pavement instead of just the center
  • Options
    carcrazy11carcrazy11 Member Posts: 7
    Hey, guys!

Please read this website. You will be informed correctly.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1

Btw, if you want to read a cold tire pressue, you need a dial pressure gauge w/ air release button($8 at walmart 2yr back) and a small air compressor($10 at walmart).

P.S. If you read 26 psi at the gas station(probably), the cold tire pressure would be around 20~24; insanely low.

Use a dial pressure gauge for accuracy. The stick gauge is not enough.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Good stick gauges are within 1 or 2 psi, and the digital gauges are within 1 psi. The bad ones are off by 3-4 psi.

Consumer Reports tested them a few years back.
  • Options
    monkeyninjamonkeyninja Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone living in the Texas area that owns an '06 LX Coupe have any MPG numbers? I'm trying to nail this down as the last bit of research before deciding to make my purchase.
  • Options
    monkeyninja,

You might want to read pages 3 through 6 in this forum for 2006 Civic owners' recorded mileage figures and plenty of information directly relating to your question.

You won't find too much variation in figures between southern and other owner's experiences. Clearly, warmer winter driving will yield a couple more mpg than driving in snow country.
  • Options
    mholtzmholtz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 civic ex with a manual trans.and the standard engine, not a v-tec. I get the same mpg as most people I have read about. I have heard you can install leaner running injectors and re-program the computer to get better mpg. Where can I find info. on this.
  • Options
    civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    OK, it's time to revive this thread. At 16,000 miles, my 2005 EX Sedan with automatic is consistently getting 34 to 35 MPG in a 40/60 mix of City/Highway driving, and 38 to 39 on road trips (assuming that I set the cruise control at 72 MPH).

I'm curious to know what the '06 Civics are getting after they have been "broken in".

David