Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

1212223242527»

Comments

• nutabugnutabug Member Posts: 8
    THAT HAPPENED WITH TOYOTA IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH FORD, JUST A MATTER OF TIME...KARMA IS A [non-permissible content removed]!
  • rosierebelrosierebel Member Posts: 2
    Have 06 Freestyle with 70,000. Same acceleration problem and wrench light on the dash, high RPM's without engine power to dealership. Had to leave that dealer and go across town and it cranked and ran like a top. Had it checked anyway, and the throttle body is broken, no part available. Am waiting for Ford CS to call me back within the 2 day period. I was allowed a loaner due to having family with close ties to the dealer. Ford contacted them the day I called CS to verify the problem. I hoping I get answers when they return my call. I'll also be reporting it to NHSTA.

By the way...I rear ended someone last spring while I was stopped at a signal. It was sudden and unexpected. I just assumed it was my fault, but now I'm not so sure.
  • lcjesselcjesse Member Posts: 30
    i would see the the Ford dealer can do Fuel Induction service 1st, or find someone who can and see if that fixes it 1st. If not, at least it is clean and then the TB can be installed. Yours is the first accident I've heard of. I wrote to Ford CS this week-end and recommended they have dealers try Fuel induction service and see if it works and if it does to proactively notify owners of problem and fix.
    Good luck. So far I've had mine back for 5 days in 97 degree weather with A/C going full blast and not ONE lurch.
    I also update my case with the NHTSA site with what fixed my car. It seems like a simple fix that they don't look for because the diagnostic test point to the Throttle body. But bet the TB looks bad because it is not getting what it needs to function correctly due the the build up in the fuel system.
  • angel_76angel_76 Member Posts: 3
    Just left my Ford dealership, and within one hour of leaving the dealership the car did the same thing. Also was in Little Rock yesterday sitting at a red light, my husband had his foot on the brake, and the car revved up to approx 1200 rpms, and tried to surge forward, almost rearended the car in front of us. I called Ford Back, and they yet to do anything about the situation. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau, 800-955-5100 and reporting this issue to them as well. I have contacted NHTSA, Arkansas Atty General's office, and seriously considering contacting a lawyer as well.
  • aishac7aishac7 Member Posts: 5
    My Ford dealership just returned my Freestyle after almost 3 weeks awaiting a throttle body. Now that it has been replaced, my car drives great. I know how scary/dangerous that surging is. My last straw was when I almost hit the gas attendant. I'm surprised Ford Motor Company has not intervened on your behalf. After sending an email on the Ford site, "the company" called the service station. That's when things started happening. I had a loaner for the duration since I didn't feel safe driving my car, and they expedited the shipment of the part. I hope they do the same for you.
    glad that you fianlly got your car back and it is driving great. Look at the "Ford Freestyle Lots of problems" forum. There have been 2 owners who had the TB replaced and w/in 3 months the problem re-appeared., One even had the TB replaced x2 and still rear-ended someone at an intersection when it lurched forward 2 weeks after the replacement. We all need to be aware that our problem may re-occur. So far i have had mine back for 1 week after the Fuel Induction service only and no problems. I am not letting up on Ford on this problem.
  • bjackm2bjackm2 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I have the same issue as everyone else. The Dealer (Bankston Ford) tells me our car is unsafe to drive as is, as if I didn't already know this! Then they tell the new version of throttle body for the Freestyle will not be available till Aug 31st. That leaves us with a car that is unsafe to drive for over three weeks and all the dealer has offered to do for us is lock it up on their lot till they can get the part. Then to add insult to injury they tell me the Extended Warranty we purchased for $2,445.00 will not cover the throttle body. A known defective part creates an unsafe driving condition that involes sudden accelartion, stalling and lurching and all Ford will offer to do is store the car till the replacement is available. Go figure! I bet they pruchased their throttle bodys from Toyota!
    Join the rest of us and call NHTSA 1-888-327-4236 and report your issue. We should not let up on this as 1) it is unsafe to drive our cars and 2) Ford needs to step up to the plate and figure out what the problem really is. I have read from at least 2 owners who got Throttle bodies replaced and w/in 3 months had the lurching again. On even rear-ended a truck when stopped at an intersection
  • planetmfplanetmf Member Posts: 5
    Hoping to get some advice here. I've got a 2005 Freestyle that just turned 60K and after reading up on the CVT service procedure I decided to take it to the dealer for the service. I was skeptical from the beginning about the service because of what I had read, so when I changed the oil tonight I was looking under the car to see if I could tell if they had replaced the high pressure filter. Sadly, it doesn't look like they replaced the filter and my invoice only lists the fluid under 'Parts', no filter.. I had read that the trans mount had to be removed to get access to the filter and it doesn't look like it's been touched. I did manage to check the fluid on the dipstick with a clean paper towel and and was pretty light (as opposed to dirty). I tried to do the right thing and have a dealer do the work and now I'm afraid they didn't do it properly. I can call and question it, but what else can I do? I'm taking the car on a VERY long road trip tomorrow too.
    The service was very expensive and I can't believe they would charge me 192.61 for parts (fluid). :confuse:
  • passat_2002passat_2002 Member Posts: 468
    You should absolutely confront the dealer. Since you have some pretty hard evidence that the HP filter was not changed out, you should demand to know why it wasn't. It is clearly called for at the 60k CVT service. Don't allow them to try to explain it away with some B.S. If they are a reputable dealer they will admit their error and apologize.
  • worrieddriverworrieddriver Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2007 Ford Freestyle into the dealer today to have it looked at because it was lurching and not getting enough power. It was diagnosed with ...BAD THROTTLE BODY...and the mechanic had the nerve to suggest that it only happens to cars that aren't maintained properly by the owners. My vehicle has just under 50K miles on it, and has been really well maintained. The cost to fix this problem is ONLY $1,188.93, and it cost me another $99 to actually diagnose the issue.

When I wouldn't give a go-ahead for the fix, the mechanic warned me that it's really unsafe to drive the car. He said that my current lack of control will quickly increase and even turn into major acceleration with the inability to stop. He even cautioned me that the "the engine could seize" if I drove.

When I got home, I looked up the problem on the internet and found that I wasn't the only person who had the bad throttle issue, but the potential charge I was given appeared high compared to the numbers other people were charged (maybe because I'm a woman?).

The mechanic called me one last time and said he'd work on getting the price down to help me out.

So, now I know it's not MY poor maintenance problems, but obviously a design flaw with the throttle body on the freestyle. I'm very nervous about driving the car, so I'm hoping that another dealership will actually do the right thing and help me get this addressed for a decent price or replace the defective part for free. Has anyone else had any luck with getting Ford to step up and remedy this problem? If it's so common hopefully they have started to work on the issue.

I'm not sure if I should take it to a honest mechanic who works in town or let the Ford crew do the repairs since they're so used to do this. Any insight you can provide would be really helpful.

:(
  • repairdaily2repairdaily2 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I went to the dealer/owner with the problem and sent him all of the posts I d from this web site. If there wasn't a problem then why is the throttle body backordered? I was told the same thing about the dangers of driving the car. I would not Pay more than $600 for the repair including diagnotics and the labor. Call Billy Howell Ford Cumming and Ga. Ask for Charlie and dont tell him where you live just tell him the car, make , and problem and you would like to know if he ever heard of the problem and what his price to repair. THEN call your dealership back and tell him. I would also report this to the NTSB. I really thought this was dangerous because the car kept jumping. I traded the car last weel:(. I really did love it.
    it is frustrating and UNSAFE. Mine got much worse after i had to have the A/C compressor replaced. From what research i have done, i ended up having FUEL INDUCTION cleaning done, (google it) based on the experienced of another owner (danalln, i believe it is on this forum or myfordfreestyle.com). It has been 3 weeks and i have not had a problem and it only cost me $125. I would much rather pay that and get just as good a result as paying $700-1000 and still have it happen again. I have read where 2 owners had the throttle body replace and then had the lurching reappear within 3 weeks of replacement.
    good luck
    i hope you got a decent trade-in value on it.
    before i got mine fixed (with Fuel Induction service, not replacing the throttle body) i was almost to the point of trading it in but hated to think of the next buyer being unaware of the problem and having an accident. Mine has been driving great since i had the service done but you'd better believe that i am always paying close attention to what my car does every time i come to a stop and i always try to allow more space than normal between me and the car in front just in case.
    It is awful to be afraid to drive your own car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • danallandanallan Member Posts: 32
    Just passed 90k on my '07 Freestyle. On my third set of tires now (I now have a nice set of Hankook tires - good reviews online - $420 total.). The first set of tires were really, really bad. Just a great car. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for some routine maintenance (they are actually cheaper than the local independent - who knew?). I have had 2 phone calls from Ford already wanting to show me new cars. I told them that the deal would have to be sooo good that I would have to be a fool not to do the deal. I'll let you know how it goes.. I have no intention of trading in, so this should be fun.

Acceleration problems were fixed without any further problems by having a fuel induction service completed. :)
    good to hear from you. I am now at 63000 miles on mine and have not had 1 "lurch" since getting the fuel induction done 5 months ago. Thanks again for the recommendation on that. Did just have to have new brakes all around. Only 11 more payments to go. I hope i don't have any more major work to do on it til it's paid off. Brakes x2, tires, air conditioner, almost a throttle body replacement is a little much to have to fix. Hoping to get at least 120K out of this car.
  • lydia4lydia4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Freestyle and had the throttle body sensor replaced in Oct '10 and new cv joints in Nov' 10. My car started shaking as I accelerated. We replaced the joints thinking they were faulty but that happened again, and again and again. We had the transmission checked- no filings. An engineer from the company that produces the joints came to the little garage in our tiny town to check the specs of the joints and many other parts of the car to try and diagnose the problem. Nothing. We've had Ford certified mechanics look at the car--nothing. The car only shakes when I accelerate but now after 4 replacement joints the car has a vibration even at a cruising speed. Any ideas?
    Past 97k miles now. The A/C compressor died a slow death. With everything, the dealer wanted $1450 to repair. I asked politely if he could do anything with the price......he knocked off $200.

Anybody else have an A/C die on them? the dealer said this was very rare....
  • pegkpegk Member Posts: 11
    Did you ever find the source/cause of this water leakage, and were you ever able to get it repaired? I have a 2005 Ford Freestyle that has been leaking on the passenger side back seat area for the about the last 3 years. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, so I usually notice this most in the spring and fall. Duing the winter the water stays mostly frozen and during the summer is evaportates. I definitely notice it after it rains. I have the carpet in the back seat pulled back and have stuck blocks under the padding to help it dry out, but anytime we get a good rain, I have a puddle back there, which naturally sloshes up to the front seat passenger side as soon as I drive up and down hills.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    An AC compressor repair is nothing unusual for any car, but you really should have found someone other than the dealer to repair and saved some money. I'd use the dealer if you had a transmission problem, because the Freestyle's CVT transmission is pretty unique, but for something common like an AC compressor, any shop can fix it.
  • heltonhelton Member Posts: 56
    I had my AC compressor replaced at 30,000 miles by the dealer yesterday. It was covered by my extended warranty.
    I did shop around. The independents I contacted were $400 to $600 more. Maybe I have found a reasonable car dealer.....I know, that's an oxymoron....
  • sissymemawsissymemaw Member Posts: 1
    was told today that mine would cost $1500 to fix.....oops...mabe I will trade mine in..lol
  • 06freestyle206freestyle2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the camshaft sensor is located on an '06 Freestyle?
    The left hinge on my rear door hatch appears to be coming apart at the weld. Has anybody else had problems with this? Odometer about to turn 100k....otherwise in great shape.
  • ken_elken_el Member Posts: 1
    My wife just came in with the exact same problem - and the car would not start. What did this end up being?

Thanks for your help.
    -Ken
    The bolt on the underside was either coming loose or was not tightened properly in the first place. The dealer I go to did a great job and way under what I was originally quoted.
  • cactuscatcactuscat Member Posts: 1
    Virtually assured that your problem is a dirty throttle body. You can clean the throttle body yourself and save a ton of money or you can replace the throttle body. Ford dealers will charge you between $500-800 to replace it. You can buy it new off ebay for $385 and change it yourself in about 15-30 minutes. Obviously, you need to try the cleaning method first as that will only set you back about $5 (use Throttle Body Cleaner or MAS Cleaner only - do not use Carburetor Cleaner). Here's a video of how to take off for cleaning and/or replacement:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT4gbX3NR8U
    Other options are to buy a used unit and replace your bad one with that one, but make sure you get one with a warranty.
  • 2ktgem2ktgem Member Posts: 4
    I also have children and admit it is scary. My Freestyle just hit 5yrs and almost 7 months. My mileage is only 55,299 and we have the same issue. It wants to jump forward or backward depending on which way I am going. It has also stalled out on us, only in a parking spot or driveway never actually driving down the road has it stalled. I do agree though, this is nation wide and almost similar to the issue Toyota was having and that was recalled. This is a nation wide issue and should be addressed through a recall. So far NHSTA has had 280 complaints. I wonder how many more there are that hasn't made it to that level yet.
  • animebrandyanimebrandy Member Posts: 2
    Okay, it all started 2 years ago: my reverse sensors stopped working, then my external temperature sensor was 15 degrees off. Now, it says 127 degrees outside as of this past September, so my heater wont kick in even when its 15 degrees outside unless my defroster is on AND my rear defroster is too. Thats the only way to get heat in my car!!! Now I replaced the starter, it needed to be done. It starts rough and then stalls out if you dont floor it and feather the gas until the idle stabilizes. I just got the throttle body cleaned and a computer hookup said everything was fine, but it still starts crappy. I was getting ready to leave the garage; started it and it sounded like an ooga horn, TWICE then started right up on the third through 7th tries. I am at wits end with all these mysteries!!! Any in-put?? Plus the back passenger roof leaks down the seat belt to the floor when parked on any angle when its raining out.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I have a 2005 Freestyle since new. 65,000 miles. The other day I had the no start problem. I looked it up on AllData. It showed two interesting TSB's. 10-24-5. There are others indicating reprogram PCM and TCM(transmission control module) with updated specs. I have never checked into this, but I may have to. I cleaned the throttle body w/o removing it. I performed the cleaning and restart the next day, but have not driven it yet. Will post results later.
  • mamaduck2mamaduck2 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my 2006 Freestyle and had a similar leak. I purchased mine from the dealership where I work so luckily they sent me to one of the better glass places in town as we thought it was something with a window. Turns out it was a plugged up sunroof drain. It was repaired and now doesn't leak. Don't know if you have a sun/moon roof, but a thought...
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Took Freestyle on vacation from Ohio to Florida and back. No problems. Now have 70,000 miles. Purchased new. Has started and ran fine since I cleaned the throttle body in February 2012. By using these type forums, TSB's, and All data subscription I have been able to keep going with minimal problems. I wish the best to those of you with major issues. Don't give up!
    my original posts started about 2 years ago. We still have the Freestyle, much to the dismay of my 17 year-old son who is stuck with it (after he took out a brick mailbox with the 2003 GMC envoy he was driving.). It also survived a tree falling over it during the tornados in Alabama last April (sorry i can't say the same for my husband 2007 Sonata-it was totalled). We have not had ONE more lurch sine the Fuel Inductin cleaning several thousand miles ago. Approaching 80K. Praying for 100k, and i'll be happy.
  • wiseone3wiseone3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 ford freestyle the throttle body fix is simple and inexpensive. I bought a spray can of throttle body cleaner for $4.00 at auto parts store. The problem of exceleration when changing the trans. is the butterfly throttle plate inside the throttle body stick to the wall of the throttle body. You need to clean the inside the throttle body and clean the butterfly plate. The plate will open up by pulling on the accelerator linkage to facilitate the cleaning. I suggest that you spray a clean cloth with the cleaner and not spray directly into the throat of the throttle body. cleaning takes about 20 minutes. the cause is the fuel leaves a residual on the throat and butterfly and becomes gummy . In 98% of the time the throttle body does not need to be replaced. Dealer will kill your pocket book trying to get the most money out of you over the simplist of things. also if you will check it out the motor support on top of the motor will deteriate and the rubber gramet just disinegrates. Ford needs a recall on that as well. Hope this helps all freestyle owners. By the way just found out my air conditioner compressor is leaking oil and has a bad valve.
  • curtisc63curtisc63 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    I have ~83K miles on my 2005 Freestyle SEL. I have felt just a few surges in recent weeks and will clean the TB this weekend - no worries. My Rear engine mount did give up. I replaced the rubber part with a volvo part and it has quieted the rattle. The only real repair (once I replaced rear pads and rotors) I have done is the AC compressor at ~73K. The Freestyle is a great vehicle. In fact I have been looking for about a year for a replacement but no one makes anything I really like. The closest I have found is the Subaru Outback but am not inspired enough to buy one.

CC
  • mmarkeymmarkey Member Posts: 2
    Has your leaking problem been fixed and roughly how much ? I have 07 freestyle and have water leaking in my trunk ang tire well. Have several inches of water.

I'm taking car in shop tomorrow.
  • mmarkeymmarkey Member Posts: 2
    2007 freestyle

Has anyone had problems with water leaking in trunk area ? Just noticed about 3 inches of water in tire well. Dried that out,and now a lot of moisture and water underneath the carpet in trunk.

Taking car tomorrow to have looked at, but scared it's going to be lots of $$$$.
  • sportmansportman Member Posts: 23
    Leak is from the rear sunroof drains. There is a TSR from ford to fix this but if you are out of warranty it costs about $800 to fix. Headliner must be removed and drains re- routed to fix the problem.
    If you park the vehicle heading down hill you will probably be okay. I am too cheap to spend $800 so mine is always backed into my driveway so it is heading down hill and I do not have any more water in the wheel well.
  • frustrated05frustrated05 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 05 freestyle new. I have taken extra care of the car...doing every "suggested" maint. schedule just as Ford recommended. My car was great while under the warrenty...but at 70,000 I had a sensor chip go out and cost me over $3000. (this was after the dealership waved their labor cost).
    Recently I have had to have the alternator replaced ($1000) and soon after that myA/C compressor went out and I had to replace that as well (another $1200)....soon after that I started having the same lunging problem everyone else has been discussing and have called and emailed Ford several times and get the same "sorry you are not satisfied with your vehicle but you no longer have a warrenty and the repair expense is up to you." response as everyone else is getting. I did go up there with a vehicle report that I found that relates to the "lunging" issue and it explained to the dealership how to fix the problem....this was something to do with the Throttle body being replaced and a new software download (that has to be done at the dealership).....this "FIX" is going to cost me another $2000 according to the dealership...this is money I do not have since I just replaced the compressor last month. I am going to try and do what you said above and see if this fixes my problem. Thank you so much for posting this....now I just have to see if this single mom that knows nothing about car repairs can do this .... I can let you know how it goes :)
  • jen124jen124 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this post. I bought a 2005 Ford Freestyle in March of this year and I am noticing the surge in reverse and when I am in drive with my foot on the brake. I will definitely take your advice. Another problem that I see is that the engine rattles and goes crazy when turning around in tight places. I like my car but if performance were smoother, I would not be thinking of changing it already.
  • singlemom4singlemom4 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought it 6 days ago feels like it wants to thrust if air is on and I am stopped but in gea r.. got up this morning and driver side is full of water. The cup holders in 3rd row are filled and and the ground behind driver had about a half inch of water. Emailed dealership haven't heard anything from them yet
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Even though the main warranty might be done at 70,000 miles, the emissions warranty is longer at at least 80,000 miles. Check your owners warranty manual. I had a transmission control module go out, but was covered as part of the emissions system. There's a part list in the warranty book.

I sold my 2005 Freestyle a couple of years ago because I no longer needed such a big vehicle. I have to admit that even though I didn't have any problems that I needed to pay for, another reason I sold it was because of the posts I read here. Maybe once it's back in good running order, you might decide if you really need a big three row vehicle and get rid of the Freestyle.
  • shacoshaco Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 06 Freestyle a few months ago and the car was lurching/surging a few times a day everyday for the first month. I talked to my mechanic about cleaning the throttle body after researching online. He just laughed and told me to buy some Seafoam or Lucas upper cylinder lubricant for the gas tank. I used Seafoam for the first tank; the problem was still present, but rarely happened. Then I used Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant. It has been a few months and the lurching/surging has stopped. I actually ran Lucas through the tank twice just to make sure that I was good. He told me to use it in my tank a couple of times each year . Problem seems to be solved for now!
    glad you found something that worked. we are at 82K and still have not had any more lurching. I think it is time to some kind of 75K maintenance but i am not sure that i want anyone messing with it since it is running so well.
    Was thinking about have fuel induction cleaning done again for good measure, but maybe I'll try the Lucase Upper Cylinder lubricant.
  • jayamarejayamare Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 05 Freestlye since 07. First off, it always had a loud knocking sound under passenger side when heat/air turned on/off they adjusted something but still makes sound. I also brought the car in 2 times with complaints of a winding sound that they could never recreate or diagnose (happens more with hotter weather). At 99000 miles brought the car in for winding again, and to have brakes completely replaced to be told the undercarriage was in excellent condition but still could not diagnose the problem. Recently we started smelling something burning going up hills started faint but got worse. At this time I brought to my mechanic because it was out of warranty he took it until he smelled burning and also heard the winding. Unable to check transmission fluid he diagnosed it as a transmission problem. Meanwhile I continued to drive it taking it easy up hills. My back window busted out for no reason. My seats are all malfunctioned, and my back hatch will not open. I replaced tie rods twice in less than a year. My car has the lunging problem especially in reverse but never gave that a thought. Recently I had to climb into the back to check the spare because I had a questionable tire lost its tread in 400 miles to expose the muffler had burnt clear through the metal realized that was the burning smell. All these mechanics and so many times this car has been lifted and no one saw this?? I was hoping other owners could check there back under carpet to see if this is a problem with just my vehicle or what. Any feedback is wonderful. Thanks
    Car was working great until my son hit a tree with it. The tree won. I almost got to 200,000 miles. My son was not hurt. I'm going to miss that car. I loved it.