Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra vs Honda Civic

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    yes.
  • james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    Opinions vary. My car is nicer than the new one. Eldaino what part or parts of the new spec do you think is nicer than the previous model?
    i just think that the new one looks 'buffer'. i love the lines of it; especially from the pic you provided. The rims are a nice touch too; some of the nicest 17's this side of a gti. I just don't like how high off the ground it is. Thats my only gripe
    You mean tougher? It looks like an Altima's and Prius' illegitimate love child. The wheels aren't bad but I still like my 17" wheels anyway.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    To me, looks like a chunky cherub. The antithesis of the sleek and swoopy Civic.

To each his/her own.
    yeah, i feel ya. But i still wouldn't call the new civic muscular. But i do prefer the swoopiness.

One thing i do like about nissan though is that they have a nice in the middle model; the base se-r. Sportier than the rest, just not the best, and it is an obvious change from the rest of the line.

I'd like a civic sedan with the 2.0 from the base rsx/02-05 si, with a 5 speed auto (maybe paddle shifters? or at least a row it yourself kind of feature), a standard leather steering wheel, a slightly better sound system, and maybe the honda factory performance suspension standard to set it apart from both the si and ex. Call it the civic se or si-r or something.

That would be nice.
    That and the fact that the frog chassis is near 3,100lbs. The previous model was perfect. The Skyline's shift knob and a half-assed G-Meter in the new Spec doesn't cut it.
    yeah, i feel ya. But i still wouldn't call the new civic muscular. But i do prefer the swoopiness.

The Civic is anything but muscular or intimidating looking, at least in basic DX/LX/EX form. I honestly prefer the look of my Accord to the new Civic, and my Accord debuted in 03.

I also like the idea of the Civic SE with a power bump too, but that would be detrimental to the Civic's image (economy certainly going down). Maybe the SE Civic with leather, Auto Climate Control, paddles, and a power driver's seat for (same engine) for $1,200 more (same engine)?
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    hey, this is called Acura CSX in Canada :-)
    exaclty! why cant we have this, minus the more luxurious features, such as xenons? (i'll take a leather option like graduate mentioned though.)

and with regards to leather, i still feel this is one of the big issues with the civic; pretty much EVERYONE offers this option, but not honda. They would have NO problems finding people to offer it.

I like your idea grad, but i still want more power. The k20 in the base rsx/old si hatch gets 22/28 under the new standads; with the five speed auto and some different gearing, i don't see why 24/31 wouldn't be possible and thats still decent and at least on par with sportier entries like the se-r and mazda 3. I think leather should be an option regardless, but a trim line like this would be great. Maybe add 2100 like you said and it'll sell!
    Anyone see the Motor Trend article comparing Elantra, Sentra, Civic, and Lancer?

If you subscribe, I won't ruin the outcome for you, but I will tell you the people in this forum will probably like the outcome.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :):)
    no i hadn't heard about it! is it on their website yet?
    That depends. Then again the new Sentra isn't the old one. The new one is a mega ugly bulky slow way too heavy car vs the lightweight better looking versions of 2000-2006.
    I'm confused on what "depends"?

The new Sentra is obviously the one they tested.
    actually, given its weight, it does ok and gets better fuel economy to boot.

Ugly and better looking is totally subjective. For example, the older sentra to me is mighty plain looking, even in se-r guise, which just adds a darker, red stiched interior and different color gagues.
    yeah me too. James if you are talking about stacking up the older sentra versus the cars listed here, it would be even worse for the sentra. (unless the corolla was included; i think i'd take a nice 2.5 non se-r over a corolla.)
    Heck, I'd take a slap in the face over a Corolla...

...maybe...
    How do you know it would be worse?
    because the older sentra is ancient mechanically and with regards to features. Putting that up against what the competition is offering now would be suicide....

hence....

why the sentra is what it is now!

...maybe...

the best post EVER on this website! i literally (and i can't belive i'm going to say it) lol'd! :)
    Yeah what it is now, a French piece of junk chassis. An unnecessarily modified engine when all they had to do with give it better airflow to and from the engine then maybe tweak one thing in the engine itself. I'll take the stealth sedan over the ugly duckling any day.

...maybe...

the best post EVER on this website! i literally (and i can't belive i'm going to say it) lol'd!

Hehe. :)

I've actually BEEN slapped by a Corolla owner (my ex gf). Notice the word "ex."

In fairness, if I was 5'4" as opposed to 6'4" the Corolla wouldn't be nearly so bad. The driving position is just a torture rack for me though.
    havent all the reviews shown that from a numbers standpoint that despite the new se-r's akward stance, it grips and handles better than the previous generation? A lot of the reviews for the generation that you own have made a lot of fuss about its great engine begging for a new chassis!

i guess looks are to each his own.
    oh geez grad you are hilarious! ;)

sorry about the slap. Ex huh? good riddance!

i actually had a chance to drive an 07 corolla recenlty, a friend at work has one, i didn't think the driving postion was horrible (i'm only 5'8, 5'9 on a good day, so you would be chewbacca like in stance compared to me.), but it was a little funky. The gauges were ok though.

Hey grad, guess what? my wife and i are considering a civic again.
    Car reviews are like movie reviews. The reviewer's point of view is theirs and no one else's. If that were the case which I doubt it is, they picked the wrong chassis.
    As a 2nd vehicle I presume. Been seeing more and more Rabbits lately and I think I prefer the 4 door ersion over the 2 door actually. With just about a years ownership and hitting 8k miles today on my Civic, still very pleased with this car. The mileage seems to be a couple of mpg's better since our small road trip a couple of weeks ago. Think it was good to get the engine running at 70 to 75 for the hour and 1/2 drive each way we took.
    If I had to do a do over though, I'd go for the EX for the extra goodies. Like the stopping feel of the wife's 3s with the 4 wheel discs...they just seem to preform better than the rear drums of my LX. That's the only small regret I've got with the Civic. Still get compliments on the Galaxy grey color also.

The Sandman :)
    Getting rid of the VW, or just adding a second car to the mix?

The gauges in the ex's Corolla were that "indiglo" looking stuff, not the nice Lexus-like display they have now. They glared pretty badly (lit up too bright) if you wanted a clear view of them.
    yeah, it would not be a 2nd car, but replacing the bunny.

I like the look of the 4 door version better as well, and having four doors is becoming a neccesity for us...hence why we considered the 4 door bunny, but then our quest for a fuel efficient car is trumped. (the 4 door is pretty much equal with regards to price of a four door civic ex, but with out the mileage gain; our bunny at least has a low msrp.)

I orignally wanted a gti 4 door, you know have the best of both worlds...but then i would be paying the same price as an ex accord and while getting better mileage than my rabbit, would have to deal with putting in premium. The gti and se-r are the only sporty compacts with no penalties automatics (the gti being the far superior one ofcourse) and while i'd like an si sedan, the premium gas and the fact that its a manual comes into play again.

I agree sand, while i had an ex, i wouldn't go to an lx, i'd get the ex again. I would still like to have a hatch, but if i want good mpg and the honda nameplate, the fit is the only offering. we are considering a sport auto (preferably in white or blue) as well.

I still don't think that the milage is a huge issue on the bunny, but having four doors is...at least its getting that way for us. the better fuel efficiency is a plus, and we drive highway a lot, which means i'll probably see much better mpg than i used to on my old civic, which was only highway driving on the weekends.

Grad: the newer gauges are nice, but your ex's were lame! ;)

oh and sandman: i wanted to consider a mazda 3 hatch, i like the looks, even though the mileage would be about the same, i would have at least the handling to back it up...but my wifes protege5 gave her some headaches, and her moms v-6 mazda6 is providing her with a whole slew of new ones. Needless to say, she wants to get a honda now.
    like you said, it is opinion, but what a skilled driver acheives in a car is not really arguable. Its the 'i don't like the way it looks' or 'i hate the gauges' that you have to ignore.
    I ignore reviewers if their opinion is negative. B15 Spec V is superior to 2007 Spec V, nuff said.
    :blush:

then how could you ever expect anyone to take YOUR opinion seriously?
    The question itself doesn't make much sense. You basically implied that since I'm pro Nissan and I absolutely stand by my position, that no one will take me seriously. Which is ridiculous at best. If you have a better version of that question shoot. Frankly if someone doesn't take me seriously I don't care. I know what I know.
    Makes building a better car impossible, if in fact nobody listened to criticism.

I guess that vehicle is perfect, if your ideals hold true. There are no negatives, so you can't improve on it.
    no, it does make sense. i was pointing out that if you hear anything with regards to the cars potential weaknesess, you'll totally tune it out. It has nothing to do with you being a nissan guy, it has to do with improving a car and accepting its flaws, but also knowing its good points and not thinking its perfect.

Read graduates post. it sums it up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    All right, we're turning this into a discussion of each other instead of the cars. Let's not do that. :)
    I never actually said the Sentra is perfect, in fact no car is perfect say for an M3 lol but seriously every car has flaws, these cheapness of interiors and such claims are completely unfounded. C&D have become spoiled they get to drive $100,000 cars and get very bitchy when not so expensive cars aren't lined with titanium or some other very expensive material. I've never actually had a weakness with my Spec V knock on wood. It's always ready willing and able, I intend on taking excellent care of it. It was part of a unique configuration they did for one model year only. The only problem I had with it was the latch on the console lid's spring was defective. I had it fix without any other problems and it wasn't that big of a deal in general but it was otherwise conventient to have it fixed.
    first of all, the quality of the interior materials and reliability are two different things.

if the fact that the reviewers get to drive 100k cars around influnces their opinions on the lack of flair of low end cars...wouldn't that mean that EVERY car that competes against the sentra would be subject to the same harsh treatment?

I wonder why they arent' then huh? :blush:
    It does influence their opinion. They who become spoiled ridicule very easily.
    I struggle to see how they ridicule selectively, as you seem to be implying.

Yes, they (editors/writers) find faults in vehicles. Its their job.
    ofcourse it does. but i'm not disputing that.

ill type it in a more understandable way;

if they (the reviewers) get to drive amazing cars ALL THE TIME, it would influcence their opinion ALL THE TIME.

what does that mean?

bascially that ANY car that is not a supercar or cost 100k would get scrutinized and put down, not just the sentra.

BUT....thats not what happens. And there goes your theory out the window. :)
    Ok Honda kids this is a waste of time. Back to topic.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    we talk about the cars themselves instead of talking about the people who are talking about the cars... ;)
  • g4illag4illa Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking into getting my first car and I have no idea what car is best to get. Right now i'm looking at getting a Nissan Sentra GXE with 87K, Honda Civic EX with 127K, or Toyota Corolla with 150K. I've seen through reviews that Honda Civics are generally a very reliable car and don't have many problems, if any. With the Nissan Sentra GXE i've seen mixed reviews and multiple problems, as the Toyota Corolla I know is a very reliable car because my Dad owns own himself, which i drive frequently, but don't want to buy my parents old car, want my own identity.

What is the best car for a 17 year old who needs to go to work and would like to go on some long drives(a state away), Nissan Sentra GXE w/87K, Honda Civic EX w/127K, Toyota Corolla w/150K?

Hopefully i'll get a response (last posting was this past summer)
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    What year cars are we talking about? anyhow, I'd deffinitly scratch the toyota. nothing against them, but 150k miles is a lot. sure, the engine is probably fine, but 150 is a lot of miles on things like exhaust, suspension, transmission and so on. A 150k car (any make/model) can quickly and easily nickel and dime you to death..

as for the honda and nissan, it's hard to say without knowing price and what year they are. But going buy just what you provided:

if the sentra has the SR20 motor, get it, or if the honda is a 2003 model year get the sentra. otherwise, go for the civic, unless there is a significant price difference.
    honda is a 2003 model year get the sentra.

Why? The 2003 Civic is fundamentally the same car as the 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2005 Civic.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    actually, meant the 2001. I've heard of a lot of problems with that year.
  • tlcruztlcruz Member Posts: 54
    Having been an owner of a 01 Sentra GXE, I really enjoyed mine :) I bought mine w/ 85K and it was nothing but purely highway miles. I never had any issues with it and lucky for me, the owner still had the warranty on it so if I did happen to need anything, It would go to the dealership. I had it for 1 year and then I got in an accident. But lucky for me, It saved my life and I walked away with only a bruised wrist. I like the Sentra so much, I got an 02 Sentra SE-R and I really enjoy it :)
    Dumped this car when the warranty was up...dealer could never get rid of the "check engine" light for very long. At the 3 year mark, traded for a '06 Civic and couldn't be happier!

The Sandman :)
  • jewels8jewels8 Member Posts: 10
    I own both, 06 Civic and 08 Sentra, and although I like my new Sentra, I feel there are more standard features on the Civic. The only reason I did not buy the 4 door Civic is because I already have the 2 door coupe and previously owned the 4 door 01 Civic (someone hit it in rear and it was deemed total loss), so I wanted to change up a bit. If I were you, I would be sure to compare what is standard on both before making a final decision. I still love my Civic, even after driving it for the past 2 & 1/2 years and very happy that I did not trade it in on the 08 Sentra.
This discussion has been closed.