Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Forester Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited January 2014 in Subaru
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Subaru Forester. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• dwdmdwdm Member Posts: 9
    Car_man

Do you have the money factors and residuals for a 2005 Forester XS or XS LL Bean Edition? Looking at 36 months, either 36 or 45k miles. Thanks!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    HI dwdm. I don't believe that Subaru is providing lease support on 2005 models any longer. I can tell you what the lease program for the 2006 Forester is like if you want. Let me know.

Car_man
    Host
  • kcgoldkcgold Member Posts: 1
    Car man, I'd like to hear about the 2006 Forester leasing, thanks!
    I'd be happy to help you out, kcgold. Just let me know exactly what model you want, i.e. a 2006 Forester X, a Forester XT Limited, etc, how long you want to lease it for and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it.

Car_man
    Host
  • benji123benji123 Member Posts: 104
    Hi Car man,

I'd like to get the (1) residual, (2) lease money factor, and (3) estimated monthly payment (with $0 down) would be for the 2006 Forrester LL Bean, with an MSRP of $27,500 and a selling price of $26,000. I'd like the numbers for a 36 month, 12,000 miles/year lease and for a 48 month, 12,000 miles/year lease.

Thanks!

Ben
  • pgl2pgl2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car Man,

I live in New Jersey and would also be interested in the residual and money factor for an '06 2.5 X LL Bean for a 36 month lease but with a 15,000 mile per year allowance. Thanks.
  • philidor1philidor1 Member Posts: 15
    Th figures quoted me today (Central NY) on the '06 Forrester 2.5 X LLBean for a 36 mos., 15k/yr lease (Tier 1 credit) are:

.00175 money factor
    51% residual

The residual here is quite poor for a Subaru. The Toyota Highlanders, for example, are between 55% and 58%, with a comparable money factor (.0019).
    Philidor1
    Hi Ben. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Forester LL Bean Edition through Subaru's captive finance company right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00175 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 48 month lease should be .00150 and 44%. Using these numbers, an MSRP of $27,500, and a selling price of $26,000, I estimate that this truck would have a zero down, pre-tax 36 month payment of around $396 and a 48 month payment of around $347.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi pgl2. The lease money factor for a 36 month lease of the aforementioned vehicle would be the same for both 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year, but its 15,000 miles per residual value would be 1% lower than its 12,000 miles per year resid.

Car_man
    Host
  • houseofcharmhouseofcharm Member Posts: 1
    I was quoted a high lease deal on an XT LTD today even though Sube has Forester lease support for until 01/31. I was wondering about your price. I was quoted for 48 mos, 1050. total at delivery including NY tax (.08625) and 12k/yr.

Any ideas?
  • dmjjpydmjjpy Member Posts: 11
    Car_man, could I please get the residual and money factor for a XT and X+PP for a $0 down/24 month/12k miles lease?

Thanks!!!
  • dmjjpydmjjpy Member Posts: 11
    Any chance I can get the above(msg #12) info Car_Man??
    Hi dmjjpy. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Forester XT through Subaru Auto Finance right now for 24 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00265 and 64%, respectively. You would be much better off leasing this truck for 36 or 39 months because its money factors for these terms are much more attractive. Its 36 mo. / 12K numbers are currently .00190 / 53% and its 39 mo. / 12K numbers are .00175 / 51%.

Car_man
    Host
  • rnw96rnw96 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Car man,

Do you have resididual and money factor for the Forester X 2.5 with the Premium Package? I would like a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles. I'm in NYC.

I expect the MSRP to be $24,500 and the Dealer Invoice price to be about $23,000. Those numbers reflect the current $1,000 rebate that Subaru is offering.

Do you know if the consumer rebate still applies if you lease? They are also offering 0% financing in lieu of the rebate, but I assume that applies only to loans, not leases?

Thanks!!
    Will
  • markmatmmarkmatm Member Posts: 1
    Looking at lease on Subaru Forester. Was told that the $2000 rebate from Subaru would be "lost" if I choose to lease and not finance. Is this correct?

They told me the for a purchase:
    Retail price: $22,420
    then "savings" of $2,425
    Then Rebate of $2,000
    for an adjusted sale price of $17,995.00

But, if I lease, the numbers will not include the rebate because the rebate only applies to finance deals.

Is this correct?

Thank you!!!
    Can you verify if the
  • allictallict Member Posts: 1
    I'm in CT and shopping for the Forester too.

The price changed dramatically once I told them I may be interested in leasing. I think this is typical. Essentially they get nearly MSRP, minus residual value then the money facotr to calculate lease payments. Rigth now, the Forester lease is $264 for a 48 month, 12,000 miles lease. About 15 bucks more a month for the 15,000.

Residual value is kind of low, it was just about 50% of the sell price of the car.

For what it's worth.

Regards,

Allison
    Here you go, Will. If you were to lease a 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5 X through its captive finance company right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 54%, respectively. Subaru is currently providing $2,000 customer cash on the '06 Forester X, unfortunately this cash cannot be combined with its special lease program though. The 0% finance rate that you have seen advertised is only available on regular loans, and then only for 2 year loans.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi markmatm. The information that you were told is correct. The $2,000 customer cash that Subaru is currently providing on the '06 Forester X is not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
  • vizviz Member Posts: 75
    Hello...
    I would like to lease/rent a car for short term, mainly during winter. I am interested in subaru cars/suv's only.
    Are there any leasing companies/rental companies which rent/lease vehicles for very short term.
    Regards,
    Viz.
  • cdnj1cdnj1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I'm looking at '07 Forester with Prem Pkg at the following:

MSRP: 25861
    Cost: 23866
    MF: .00280
    RV: 54% (14482)
    miles: 12k/yr
    term: 36 months

with fees and first month at inception (1296 total), this comes to 399/mo.

Is this a decent deal?

another question - ive been quoted 1011 in sales tax - i cannot for the life of me figure out where this number came from...how is sales tax on a lease computed in nj, and where did this number come from?

thx.
    Hi cdnj1. The lease program that you were quoted for this vehicle looks about right to me. Furthermore, you are bring given nearly a $2,000 discount on it. This looks like a reasonable price to me, but make sure to stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles recently: "Subaru Forester: Prices Paid & Buying Experience". I personally don't see anything wrong with this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • eire2xeire2x Member Posts: 1
    Hey CarMan- I am looking to lease a 2007 Subaru Forester in upstate New York. A salesman gave me the following numbers on a Forester 2.5X. MSRP: 22,419, but he told me he was bringing it down to $21,566. There is a $1500 rebate, which brings it down to just over $20,000. Residual value he told me was 49%. He gave me 2 quotes. For 15,000 miles/year, 39 months, with $1,548.62 (first payment and taxes) plus plates up front, the monthly lease payment is $330.37. If I roll the taxes into the monthly payments and only pay $432.91 up front, the monthly payment is $365.41.
    Any thoughts on this? Are there any other numbers you need before you can tell me if this is a good deal?
    Thanks for your help.
    Tim
    Hey Tim. So you are being given a dealer discount of around $850 on the Forester that you want to lease on top of the $1,500 lease cash. A base 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5X only has a spread of around $1,180 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. So a discount of $850 isn't bad. It's probably only a couple hundred dollars over invoice. This price looks good to me, but you can always stop by the following discussion to see how much other community members have paid for similar vehicles lately: "Subaru Forester: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

Take this price and make sure that this dealer uses Subaru Finance's buy rate lease money factor to calculate your monthly payment and you're in business. Subaru Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5X with 15,000 miles per year are .00260 and 49%, respectively.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jefbakjefbak Member Posts: 19
    On Jan 2nd I was able lease a Forester X with Premium package for $265 a month including ttl. This was for a 24 month lease, 10K per year and $3000 down. I think the selling price for the lease was about $21500.
    The leasing program was not that good compared to the mazda CX-7, but I wanted the full time awd so I went with it.

I am hoping a hybrid version will be availbe when my lease is up.
    Congratulations on your new Forester, jefbak. Thanks for taking the time to share the details of your deal with everyone. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,377
    I have the following quote on an 07 LL Bean:

25,988 price, includes 1k in lease cash
    12k/ 36 mo. lease
    1st payment down payment is 490/mo 6% taxes included
    1016 down (fees etc) payment is 473 taxes included.

I think this can be improved. Am I right?

Thanks!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

Hi au1994. What is this vehicle's MSRP? This number will show me how much of a discount you are being given and it will enable me to use Subaru's current lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be. Let me know and I'll tell you what I think of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    Hi just curious. Does anybody know the current lease rate for the forester XT sports auto? For 2 years with 10k miles/year and 3 years with 10k/miles/year?

Thanks in advance.

David
  • 98in_cuse98in_cuse Member Posts: 9
    Hi Car_man, I am looking at a lease deal with trade-in valued at $2800. The information that I have is:

MSRP $25086
    Inv. $23697
    36 mo./10K yr.
    $330.35/mo., no initial payment except trade-in

I would like the "buy rate lease money factor" and residual value for this deal, but also wanted your opinion. It looks like about $2000 was taken off if I was to actually purchase the car, but I am also "waiting for the hybrid".
    To buy this car outright I was quoted $21636.26 including taxes and fees. Which is the better deal? I'd rather go with the lease but want to know if this is a good deal. It sounds like jefbak got a really good one!

Thanks, Kathy
    Here's the info that you're looking for, David. Subaru Auto Finance's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24 month lease of a 2007 Subaru Forester XT with 10,000 miles per year are .00200 and 63%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 36 month lease are .00280 and 54%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take advantage of the $1,000 lease cash that Subaru is providing on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hello Kathy. I see that you are considering trading in your current vehicle when leasing the new Forester that you are interested in. There's nothing wrong with trading in your current car or truck when leasing a new one, in fact many states give tax breaks to consumers who trade in their vehicles, however it would be in your best interest to have the dealer that you are working with cut you a check for your trade rather than using the proceeds from it as a down payment for your lease. I always advise consumers against making capitalized cost reductions on leases because those who make one risk losing part or all of it if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered. Have the dealer that you are trading your vehicle into cut you a check for it rather than using the proceeds as a down payment for your lease.

As far as this vehicle's lease program goes, if you were to lease a 2007 Subaru Forester X Premium through Subaru Auto Finance right now for 36 months with 10,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value would be .00280 and 55$, respectively. Make sure to use the lease cash that is available on the Forester to negotiate an attractive capitalized cost for your lease.

Is the $21,636 that you mentioned the selling price that was used to calculate this lease payment? If so, this is a very good deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • dleungnycdleungnyc Member Posts: 41
    Thank you Car_man for providing me with the information.
  • 98in_cuse98in_cuse Member Posts: 9
    Hi Car_man and thanks for the information on the trade-in. I guess you are saying it's better to simply make a cash down payment? On the lease cash, this dealer is saying that the $1000 goes away if you are leasing, so I am wondering about that - I see the incentive listed. The vehicle price is $23,697 which reflects no discounts except dealer invoice price. They are also quoting a money rate of .0029, I'm not sure why.

Any further information would be appreciated.
  • taxestaxes Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_man,

Is this a good deal on a new 2007 subaru 2.5i limited?
    28,617 MSRP
    -1,500 dealer discount
    40 doc fee
    with subaru discount,title,taxes,and transfer of plate the
    total is

I would like to buy an extended warranty. Should I buy it with the car or shop around? I plan on keeping it for at least 5 years and 100,000 miles.
  • vkeanevkeane Member Posts: 5
    Hey Car_man,

After hunting for months now, we've narrowed our search to a Forester LL Bean. Based on the new lease deals from Subaru do you consider now a good time to lease?

Thanks,
    Vin
  • vkeanevkeane Member Posts: 5
    Hey there

I just put a deposit down to lease an 07 Forester X-Premium. it includes the dimming compass mirror, rear cargo mat, sound system. It's about 2300.00 down(tax/fees) and 335.00 for 42 months. How does this sound to you?

Thanks for your advice!
    VK
    You're very welcome, dleungnyc.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, 98in_cuse. I'm actually saying that it is better not to make any down payment aka capitalized cost reduction when leasing. I believe that Subaru's cash incentives are compatible with leases through Subaru Finance. With the payment of a security deposit at lease signing, through July 2nd its buy rate for a 36 month lease of an '07 Forester X Premium is .00280.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi taxes. The vehicle that you described has a spread of around $1,700 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. Plus there is a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of it. This give you a total of around $2,700 to play with. While the $1,500 discount that you were quoted isn't terrible, there is a very good chance that you would be able to beat it if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition and you comparison shop a little bit.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey Vin. Subaru's June lease program on the Forester isn't bad. If I was interested in this vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to lease one now. It is difficult to say whether its July lease program will be more attractive than its June program.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hey vkeane. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the Forester that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this vehicle's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion of this deal if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • tsbtsb Member Posts: 8
    Hi Car_man,

I'm looking for the money factor and residual for the lease of a 2008 Sports 2.5 XT. I am located in New Jersey. I'm looking for 15k miles/year, however I'm not sure what length of lease is offered (36 or 39 months) and which offers the best value. In addition, is it reasonable to expect that this model can be purchased at invoice? I will need to order the car as I cannot find one locally in dealer stock. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • marcus1701marcus1701 Member Posts: 1
    Well guys....check it out.
    2008 Subaru Forester Premium Pkg, w/homelink mirror
    Automatic
    $245.14/mo payments
    2yrs w/15,000mi a year.

I had to fish around dealerships for this price. When dealerships compete YOU WIN!
    Here's the information that you're looking for, tsb. Subaru's current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2008 Forester 2.5 XT (not the Limited model) with 15,000 miles per year are .00225 and 52%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease are .00230 and 50%. When negotiating your lease on this vehicle, make sure to take the $500 lease cash that is currently available on it into account. Given this cash incentive, a selling price of right around dealer invoice is probably attainable if you are in an area that has a decent level of competition. Dealer are usually more willing to provide better deals on vehicles that they have in stock than ordered vehicles though.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Congratulations on getting such a good deal on your new Forester, marcus1701. Make sure to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with everyone.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • tsbtsb Member Posts: 8
    Car_man,

I greatly appreciate this information. I think that there are enough dealers in my area to create some reasonable competition on the selling price. Thanks again for your help.
  • hpoohhhpoohh Member Posts: 35
    Hi Car man, can you help find the lease info (MF, bank fee, residual, dealer cash, or customer cash that can be combined w/ lease program) for a 08 Forester XT sports?
    i am looking at 12k/yr 36mo, i am in SoCal by the way.
    thank you
  • amberbergamberberg Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I am looking to lease a 2008 Subaru Forester. Never having leased before, I'm not sure if the following is a good deal or not. The dealer wasn't real specific on total costs. But here is what I know.
    We are talking the base model Forester X with a MSRP of $23,213. The cap cost is $20,258. We discussed a 36 and 48 month lease. for the 36 month lease,the residual is .48 and for the 48 the residual is .45. The money factor is .00230 (this might have been just for the 48. Monthly payments for the 48 month lease were $250 with $1200 down. The dealer suggested extending the bumper to bumper warranty for an additional $15 a month. The were even more vague on the cost of the 36 month lease - but said it would be about $300 a month.
    Does this sound OK? What else should I be asking?

Thank you.
  • asd302asd302 Member Posts: 65
    Hey Car_Man,

You've helped me several times before, last time on an infiniti M35x, I was wondering if you could get me the program information on a 2008 Forester XT Limited, and a 2008 Forester X premium, I'm pretty sure that 24 months is the best program right now, so I guess I'm just looking for the residual and MF for these two models, 12k and 15k. Also need to knows if manual/auto makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • dcdamedcdame Member Posts: 24
    Warning - some of this is probably TMI for my question, but I thought I'd put it in context just in case the additional detail is relevant.

From what I see so far, I like the '09 Forester redesign. Still, I don't really NEED to buy a new car and think waiting to buy the 2010 model is a good idea (for a potential better transmission and any other sophomore improvements).

My current daily driver is an Atlantic Blue Pearl '05 Turbo Baja with the leather package and options galore (including the hard bed cover, which is not entirely watertight). It has only 34K miles (dealer serviced), is in great shape, and hasn't given me a moment's problem. I could add a cap (for @1700 OTD), get the enclosed space I now want, and just wait until 2010 to buy a new Forester, but by then the Baja will have @ 50K miles and I'm guessing that the cap probably won't improve resale/trade value.

So, I've been thinking about looking into leasing an '08 Forester for 24 months - that way, I can turn it in at the end of 2 years, just in time for the 2010 models to be clearing out for the '11s. So far, so good -- I just need to find out what terms are reasonable. But . . . here's the part I don't understand. If I want to do the entire transaction with a Subaru dealer, how do I deal with a trade? I owe about $11.6K on the Baja (at 2.9% - 20 more payments @ $590/mo.). I've never leased a car before.

I would be most grateful for any insight/advice on this - TIA.
This discussion has been closed.