Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Matrix Lease Questions

CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Toyota Matrix. Thanks.

Car_man
Host
Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums

Comments

• foghat81foghat81 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Please provide a MF and residual for a 2006 Matrix XR. 3 years/12K per yr

Not sure if it matters, but the vehicle I'd like is a 5 speed XR (2WD)

Thanks!

SB
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Greetings foghat81. You never mentioned what state you are in. This normally an important piece of information when discussing Toyota leases, because its lease program often varies depending upon which one of its twelve regions one is in. It doesn't matter as much with the 2006 Matrix though because in all of the areas that I have seen Toyota's September lease program for it is not providing any sort of lease support on this model. That means if you were to lease this car through Toyota Financial Services right now you would have to use its standard lease money factor. The last time that I saw its base standard factor it was around .00255 for all of the country except for the Southeast. If you were to lease a 2006 Matrix XR 2WD through TFS right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, its residual value should be 55% again everywhere but the Southeast.

Car_man
    Host
  • foghat81foghat81 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info!!

I'm in Ohio, so it's the Cincinnati region (which I guess doesn't change the figures)

My dealer quoted me a MF of .00176, but they haven't got back to me on the residual yet.
    You're very welcome foghat81.

Car_man
    Host
  • mcmom1mcmom1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car Man,
    Can I still get a 2006 to lease or will I need to look at 2007s? What would the cap costs and residual costs be on each of these? I'd like to lease for 36 or 42 mos. How is the residual cost calculated. I'm in North East Ohio.
    Thanks!!
    Hi mcmom1. Unfortunately, I do not believe that Toyota Financial Services is offering leases on the 2006 Toyota Matrix any longer. As a result, if you want to lease one through TFS, you will have to go with a 2007 model. The capitalized cost for the car that you want is whatever you can negotiate. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. You may be able to get an idea of how much you should pay for one right now by visiting the following discussion and checking out how much other community members have paid for similar cars: KarenS, "Toyota Matrix: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #, 30 Jul 2003 6:22 am.

Unfortunately, Toyota Financial Services uses a very complicated method to calculate the residual values of vehicles that it leases. It publishes residual value percentages for vehicles, but places restrictions upon which options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it allows. The calculation of residual values for vehicles that are leased through TFS is so complicated that it provides dealers with a list of the actual dollar residual values for vehicles that they have in stock rather than having them calculate them on their own.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • belowibelowi Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car_man-

I went to the dealership today to test drive a Matrix and really liked it, but I was a little put off by the lease I was quoted. It was a base model, the only "options" being the power windows etc., rear wiper and floor mats. The MSRP on the sticker was $17,610 after a $500 discount. This was the number we used when calculating a 36 month, 12k mile/year lease with 0 down, and the lease payment I was quoted was $344/month. The ">residual was calculated to be around $9,400. Are these numbers in line with what TFS is offering for leases? I know I can negotiate on the starting price a bit, but even still it seemed really high to me. Thanks in advance!
  • karajkaraj Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I am new to the car buying/leasing scene and have a question about leasing a matrix.
    first, I said I could put $1500 down on the matrix and the dealership calculated the following numbers for me:
    $16,428 base price
    + 499 factory roof rack which we want
    = 16,927
    - 700 dealer discount
    - 400 recent graduate discount
    = $15,827
    with a 12,000/miles/year lease for 36 months my quoted monthly payment is $239. This results in a residual value of $8,476 which I am fine with.
    First question is where is the $1500 I put down? How does that work into the entire equation? Second question is does this deal seem reasonable?
    oh, btw, I am doing this in providence, ri.
    Thanks for any advice,
    Kara
    Hi belowi. $344 per month is a lot of money to pay for a Toyota Matrix. I haven't worked up a lease payment on one recently, so that may just be the going rate for it, but there are a lot of better vehicles out there for that type of payment.

As you mentioned in your post, there is a very good chance that you can negotiate a larger discount than $500 on this car. Doing so will lower its lease payment a little. I have not seen Toyota Financial Services' specific lease program for your area, Toyota is not providing lease support on this car in most of the areas that I have seen its program for. As a result, if you were to lease it through TFS you would have to use its standard lease money factor. Its current buy rate standard lease money factor is .00285 for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier. TFS' current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the '07 Matrix is 55%. The problem is that this residual value is for a base vehicle. TFS places restrictions upon which options can be residualized.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Greetings Kara. Since you are new to the world of leasing, you definitely should check out the following informative articles that are available here at Edmunds.com prior to visiting any dealers: 10 Steps to Leasing a New Car and Calculate Your Own Lease Payment.

If the $1,500 that you are being asked to put down is a capitalized cost reduction it will be subtracted from this car's selling price before your monthly payment is calculated. If the $1,500 is just the money that is due at lease signing, it will cover items like your car's first month's payment, security deposit, TFS $550 acquisition fee, and any required state taxes or fees.

The selling price that you were quoted for this car looks reasonable to me, but it wouldn't hurt to see if you can get the dealership to lower it a little. the lower your car's selling price is, the lower its lease payment will be.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • debbiec1953debbiec1953 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to leasing and today briefly spoke with a dealer about the 2008. He said they're having a lease deal of $189/36 mo/12,000 miles, $2199 due at signing, which is for the base model. I would want the XR automatic with moonroof and some other extras. This is in Syracuse, NY (Romano Toyota) and I would want to trade my 2002 Malibu (52200 miles, moonroof, etc. worth about $5000 according to edmunds) . I'd love some advice on how to proceed; I've read that I need to know the money factor and residual, etc., but when they already give you the "deal" being offered by Toyota is it still necessary to figure all those things? Thanks for any advice!
    Debbie
  • mit48mit48 Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

We signed up on the lease for Toyota Matrix 09 last Saturday and are picking it up on Thursday this week.
    When we signed the contract, the guy who dealt with the paper work ( not the sales guy) said to us to buy the "Car Car Service Plan" which includes:
    -Lube, Oil and filter
    -Clean and adjust Brakes
    -Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection:for preventative maintenance

$600 for 3 years. Is it worth it?
    He told us that this is discounted from $1000.
    He also said that we SHOULD take our car to the dealer for regular maintenance to avoid possible fees at the end of lease. Is this true?
    I don't see anything like that mentioned on the contract. Or is he trying to see the service package?

Please help!
    Thank you
  • karajkaraj Member Posts: 2
    I am not sure about a leased car - do you have to still do all the servicing?
    I bought my car and purchased the pre-paid service plan for my 2007 toyota matrix for ~$600. I have to say, I love it! It really has made all the difference in my servicing the vehicle. Since the price of the service plan is spread out over my entire car payment schedule, it really only added a couple of dollars to my monthly payment. I don't have to come up with the money for the servicing every 5000 miles and I am much more willing to just call up and schedule the service. I got the premium service pack which includes replacing all the filters and such at 30,000 miles. given that this servicing alone is a couple hundred, I believe it is worth it.
    Hi mit48. You definitely should not bother purchasing a pre-paid maintenance plan on a leased vehicle. Performing any maintenance above and beyond changing the oil and possibly rotating the tires on a leased car is a waste of money. There is no rule that you have to take your car leased car to the dealer to have it serviced. You can get the oil changed anywhere you want. Just make sure to save the receipts. This dealer is just trying to drum up more business for his dealer's service department and make money by selling you an overpriced maintenance plan.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • gowthamangowthaman Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I plan to get a Matrix 2009 for myself. I am not able to decide wheather to buy or lease. Since, everyone is going hybrid i was wondering, if I buy, i may not get a good resale value in next 4 or 5 years. That is the reason for leasing option.
    Folks, what is the best residual value. Internet suggests 9,500+ and the dealer is saying (just saying) it will be 11,000. Could anyone suggest me the way to go......

I wont be driving the vheicle everyday. Its mainly for the family use during week ends and shopping.

Thanks everyone.
    Gowtham
  • careyd1careyd1 Member Posts: 15
    I just leased a 2009 Matrix S today (10/31/08). 36mo/12K per year. This was from Walser Toyota-a pretty well-known 'fixed price/no negotiation' dealership chain here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.

Here is how the car is equipped:
    2009 Toyota Matrix
    S 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

MSRP / Invoice
    Base Price 20,400
    (Edmunds has base price $100 higher)
    SR Power Tilt and Slide Moonroof $890 $712
    AA 17" Aluminum Alloy Wheels $880 $704
    EV AM/FM/6CD w/6 Speakers $420 $326
    Z1 Preferred Accessory Package $314 $204
    SP Sport Package $270 $216
    VS Vehicle Stability Control $250 $215
    CL Cruise Control $250 $200
    CF Floor Mats $199 $126
    FE 50 State Emissions $0 $0

Black Sand Pearl
    Destination Charge $660 $660
    (Edmunds has dest at $720)

Total with Options $24,219 $21,825

Here is the deal:

MSRP: 24,219
    Invoice: 21,825
    Selling price 21,719

(that selling price is their first, only and final offer-no negotiation-and is $106 bucks under invoice. I tried to negotiate anyway but they politely declined-it's against company policy) While I thought the offer was very fair, old habits die hard and I just thought I'd give it a try on negotiation! LOL.

Traded a 2003 G35 (35K miles-loaded-nav) as part of this lease, for $13,000, which had $2035.17 trade equity, which I used to reduce the cap cost.

Wrote the lease up as a 'sign and drive'. Paid absolutely zero today. Therefore, the following additional charges were included in the cap cost:

How the Trade Equity was used:
    Cap Cost Reduction $1420.19
    First Monthly Payment: $221.98
    Title Fee $8.00
    Registration Fees (MN) $290.00
    License Fees $11.50
    Doc Fee $75.00
    MN CVR Fee $8.50
    Acquisition Fee $650
    Total: $2035.17 (trade equity)

Gross Capitalized Cost is 22369.00 (selling price + $650 Acquisition Fee)
    Less Cap Cost Reduction 1420.19
    Adjusted Cap Cost 20948.81

Residual Value (36 mo/12K per year) $13415 (55.39%)

Aside: This is one of the pain points of leasing a Toyota-residuals that are difficult to impossible to calculate without contacting the dealer about any specific car's residual due to the complex way Toyota calculates it. Note this residual (percentage-wise) is not as high as some other cars like Altima, Camry, etc. Oh well. One nice point is that I understand you can theoretically end up with some negotiable equity in the vehicle (market value vs. lease buyout price) that you can use towards your next vehicle. Anybody ever actually done that with Toyota?

Money Factor .00037 (Tier 1)
    (this is the happy part! An incredibly low money factor due to the current programs. Equivalent to 0.89% APR)

Total Depreciation and Amortized amounts $7533.81
    Rent Charge $457.56
    Total (base of monthly payments) $7991.37

Monthly payment $221.98

I started the day at the Nissan Dealer owned by this same automotive group (same one price policies), and leased a 2009 Toyota Matrix S today. I posted those numbers in the Altima lease forum as well.

Yes, two new vehicles in one day! I am stepping down from two much more expensive vehicles, a 2005 BMW X5 and 2003 Infiniti G35. The X5 is at lease end and the G35 I had on a loan. Lowered my monthly out-of-pocket costs by 40% ($404) by doing this, which I believe is the right thing to do when staring into a very uncertain economy, although I have to admit, as nice as these new cars are, they just aren't quite in the same class of what I've left behind! But my budget thanks me.

careyd
    Hi careyd1. Wow, thanks for sharing such a detailed description of your lease. If you'd like, you can hop on over to the Dealer Ratings & Reviews to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience there as well. Enjoy your new Matrix :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome car_man! Thanks for all you do to keep these boards hopping.
    Question, can I edit the post above? I mistyped when I said the other car I bought on 10/31 was a Matrix. It was an Altima S 2.5 w/SL Package. I did post the complete write-up on that lease over there in the Altima Lease Questions forum.

This was my first time with a non-negotiation dealer and I'm left wondering if I could have driven an even harder bargain at a traditional negotiation-based dealership. I hope others will post their deals here for comparison. I do think I got a pretty good deal, however I wonder just how desperate manufacturers and dealers are going to get in the coming months with the economy and how low things will go.

All the best,
    CareyD
    No problem CareyD. Unfortunately after a fifteen minute or so window has passed users cannot edit their posts. You can always re-post the message again with the correction if you'd like.

Car_man
    Host
  • texasgirl2texasgirl2 Member Posts: 13
    My advice to you would be to never lease a car unless you use it as a company car and they are paying for it. My advice would also be never to trade in a car at the dealership and don't get financing through the dealership unless you have a perfect credit score.

In my experience, (I used to be in customer service for a major car manufacturer, NOT TOYOTA) the easiest way to get "ripped off" is to do the above things. I'm not saying it ALWAYS ends up that way, clearly leasing works best for some people.

If you buy a new car and only drive it on the weekends, you are going to have a nice, newer car in a few years that only has a few miles on it and the resell value will be higher. Plus, Toyotas hold their resell value like crazy. I has an 07 XR that got totaled about 2 months ago and I ended up getting $2500 more than I owed on it because:
    1. I did a lot of research on pricing
    2. Added some options
    3. Got good financing through my bank

Just my .02
    ;)
    Hi Texasgirl, I agree with one principle in everything you said above…that is the "don't get yourself ripped off" part. The rest of what you said are really blanket statements based either false or very shaky information. Not very useful to folks who are perusing a forum specifically dedicated to finding good lease deals.

I'm a small business owner (literally a mom and pop business) and we lease both our company car and our personal car. It works well for us and we appreciate the payment savings that would normally be going towards building equity in our vehicles. We don't want or need to build equity in our vehicles. We choose to free up that capital and build equity elsewhere in appreciable assets like our home.

Of course, being a smart lease shopper is required. Yes, you can get 'taken' on a lease if you are foolish and uninformed-but that pretty much goes for anything.

Therefore...

You need to get comfortable with residuals, money factors and other lease variables such as acquisition fees and disposition fees. Do NOT shop payment amount only without fully grasping these things. Understanding them will allow you to determine what cars are 'leasing well'. Just looking at sticker price alone (or those crazy payment offers in the newspaper) will probably bring you more confusion than clarity. Learn the principles and you can run your own numbers.

As far as not doing manufacturer financing, that all depends. As a matter of fact, the very best money factors in the industry are coming from companies like Nissan and Toyota financial right now. Especially Toyota at this time. Nissan has slightly higher money factors but generally an extra point or two of residual which basically mitigates this in the payment amount.

So, leasing is a very good thing for certain buyers. It's something that generally must be evaluated based on your own needs. Blanket statements for or against simply are not useful or beneficial to anyone.
  • texasgirl2texasgirl2 Member Posts: 13
    As I said, it does work out for SOME people better to lease. And anyway, if you own the company, seems like it could be used as a tax write off. Like I said, I can only speak from my experience. It's good to do your own research....which is what forums are all about! ;)
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    Car Man, what are the factors for a 2009 Matrix S AWD for 36 months with 10, 12, & 15K miles and how much is the current rebate? I was told the money factor is an attractive .00084 with a 54% residual. Are these correct? Is there a rebate too that can be used to reduce the Cap Cost?
    Hi lch77. The money factor that you were quoted for the Matrix is correct. Its lease program varies by region, but the .00084 factor is the most widely available one. Toyota is providing consumer cash incentives on the Matrix right now, but that cash is not compatible with its special lease program.

Car_man
    Host
This discussion has been closed.