Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volvo XC90 Lease Questions

Comments

• crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    Is it possible that you could do better leasing a 2009? I stopped at Volvoville in Massapequa New York yesterday and saw a 2008 in the showroom which was very deeply discounted, but the salesman told me that the Costco program and the lease deals only applied to the 2009 model. Also it's hard to comment on your deal without knowing the msrp of the car you're looking at as well as the price that you negotiated.
  • uzhanyuzhany Member Posts: 3
    Hi Crestonave,

The volvo I was looking at is a XC90 V80 model the MSRP is $55k, and after the negotiated prices is around $39K
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    2006 Volvo XC90 2.5 Liter 36K mile with $16K balance with Volvo Finance

And what did they give you for your car?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• uzhanyuzhany Member Posts: 3
    they said they will pay off the balance
    They love saying that.

Yes, they will pay off the balance. They have to pay off the balance. But that doesn't mean they are giving you $16k for the car. They may, for instance, credit you $14k, pay off the balance, and add the $2k balance to your new vehicle.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    That information is incorrect.
    Costco can be used on either the 08 or 09 XC90's.
    The lease incentives are greater on the 08's.
    Are you suggesting that my sales consultant told me a non-truth :mad: ????

Thanks so much for this information. Would it be possible for you to recap the lease incentives on the 2008 XC90s? This particular dealer told me that he has five in stock. I went back a bit in the forums and I didn't see any posts detailing the current incentives on 2008s.

Very much appreciate! Thanks!
  • flufjetflufjet Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2006 XC90 V8 coming off lease next month. The residual is about $31,000. My dealer told me that in the current market the wholesale is around $22,000. I would like to buy the car but will not pay anything close to $31K. Is there any way to negotiate a lower buyout with Volvo finance? Thanks!
  • serdarflserdarfl Member Posts: 13
    To answer some questions...
    1- Leasing is better on '09 models. Loyalty+Gift card+Costco applies to 08 and 09 models.
    2- I would suggest anyone who is thinking about buying/financing an 09 XC90 to lease it first then buy it. There is so much alternative leasing money that works out alot better than financing it.
    3- If your lease is with Volvo Finance and you are looking to buy your current lease vehicle, you need to go to your dealership to buy the vehicle. Volvo Finance.does not allow customers to buy their vehicles thru them. Fifth Third and US bank is another story.
    4- Above applies to Southeastern market as I do not have the information for the other markets.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you! Would you be able to recap the current lease deals being offered for both the 2008 and 2009 XC90 3.2 AWD? I'm interested in 36 months/15k per year. I live in NY. Thanks very much!
  • serdarflserdarfl Member Posts: 13
    Crestonave,
    I won't be able to help you on that since we do not have AWD vehicles around in South Florida. 39/15K miles with loyalty and Costco with 2,000 out of pocket if you can get them anywhere near close 430 tax inc or around there. It would be a very good deal on a FWD 3.2. Just to give you an idea.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're very welcome, Joy. I'm glad that everything worked out well for you. Enjoy your new ride and make sure to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience with others.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi Mike. Is the lease that you described on a 2009 or a 2008 model? A $9,500 discount is substantial for an '09 model, but a 31% residual value and an $895 acquisition fee are pretty bad. I guess that's just the price that one has to pay to lease an XC90 right now.

Car_man
    Host
  • lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    I've never leased and never planned on doing so, but was presented with some pretty good numbers (i think). I've been doing some research but since I've never done a lease before was hoping for some guidance.

2008 XC90 SE AWD – premium, versatility, climate, retractable mirrors, rear park assist, BLISS, Met. Paint, and 18” Camulus alloy wheels.

$46,595.00 MSRP
    $43,108.00 Dealer Invoice

4,000.00 retail market discount
    750.00 holiday bonus
    2,000.00 owner loyalty discount
    6,000.00 lease assistance
    1,000.00 Costco discount
    ________
    13,750.00 Total Discounts

43,108.00 Dealer Invoice
    13,750.00 Discounts
    ________
    29,358.00 Lease Sale price

$11,935 - residual
    .00248 - money factor - US Bank
    15,000 miles/year

$2,000 down
    Monthly payment - $492.58 / 48 months

Any ideas on wehre I can negotiate some more? The residual seems pretty high but, again, I'm clueless here.
  • zamozamo Member Posts: 122
    Wow, look at all those discounts.

I wish I had the Camulus wheels; I wanted them, but it was either that or the Active Bi-Xenons (dealer couldn't swap rims for me).

Anyways, what is the term of the lease (months)? Based on the residual, it seems to be a 48-month term
    Is it $2,000 down or $2,000 down total out of pocket?

The payment looks ok. I guess the low residual is whats killing the deal a bit, but again, based on the current market conditions, that might be something that wont be able to be negotiated.
  • lmartilmarti Member Posts: 16
    Forgot that detail..... lease is for 48 months.

I'm actually looking at keeping a car for the long haul and hence why I never considered leasing, but the residual value seems like it could be an attractive number at lease end (??). I'm just so lost right now.

Is it possible to negotiate the residual??

I need clarification on whether the money down is to cover expenses or just to bring the price down. good question.
  • daisyrdaisyr Member Posts: 4
    Carman,
    Can you recap the current dealer cash available on 2008 V8 XC90's. We are looking at a V8 with Nav, Convenience, climate, bi-xenon lights, MSRP $53962, residual $14030 and MF .00257 on an alternate bank (US Bank) 48 month lease. Dealer quoting $525+tax on monthly lease payments with $6250 driveoff ($2750 loyalty rebates/gift card + $3500 from tradein, with balance cashed out - trade amount still TBA). At first glance, this seems a little high, but wanted you to weigh in.
    Thanks!
  • redtail1redtail1 Member Posts: 1
    i am leasing a 2007 xc 90 awd, v6, leather, 3rd row, moonroof in philadelphia area. 19,000 miles. 24 month lease expires in march 09 and buyout price per lease is 30,328. dealer said he would sell it to me this month for 25,000. good deal or can i get better buyout price?
  • shymanshyman Member Posts: 6
    my lease on my 06 XC 90 end next week and thinking about buying it

06 XC90 AWD V6 , vers package DVD, premium package, met paint, Convenience package, climate package..46K miles on it

US bank has adjusted the buyout to 19,500 but im not sure that's even a good deal

also just had the vehicle inspected for the lease expiration and they are trying to ding me 250 for Maintenance light and 200 for slight ding to the rim..
  • ucbsupaflyucbsupafly Member Posts: 9
    XC90 5 Passenger 3.2 AWD: .00182 / 46%
    XC90 7 Passenger 3.2 AWD: .00197 / 45%
    XC90 5 Passenger 3.2 FWD: .00169 / 44%
    XC90 7 Passenger 3.2 FWD: .00185 / 44%
    Base XC90 3.2 FWD: .00004 / 41%
    XC90 V8 AWD: .00122 / 44%

Hello Carman,

Saw that you posted these rates on Nov 12, 2008. I was wondering if these numbers are still good. Furthermore, is the 0.00004 MF on the Base XC90 3.2 real or a typo? That translates to 0.1% financing, seems almost too good to be true. Look forward to your input and thanks in advance.

ucbsupafly
  • mmoriskymmorisky Member Posts: 1
    Lease 12/28/2008 US Bank

I thought this was too good to pass up and jumped on it!!!

METALLIC PAINT $494.00
    EXECUTIVE PKG $3,332.00
    CONVENIENCE PKG $2,162.00
    CLIMATE PKG $634.00
    (BLIS) $653.00 $695.00
    DUAL-SCREEN REAR SEAT ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM $1,692.00

MSRP $59,220.00

Gross Cap Cost $38,772
    Aquisition fee $695
    Total Due $6,000

48 Monthly $540

Residual Value $14,612
    *choke*
    25% residual after 4 years!!!

I am in for the buyout! Call me at maturity.
  • shymanshyman Member Posts: 6
    decided to return the car and decided on a Audi Q7 instead of releasing another Volvo

so far I'm extremely happy with my decision as the Audi so far blows away the XC90

kind of sad that in the last three months I went from owning two Volvos to owning zero!

turned in my 01 S60 for an Acura TL ..much more fun car to drive and the thought of purchasing a new 09 S60 and driving the same care for 16 years made me depressed..( Volvo shame on you for taking so long to refresh you models)..pretty much the same reason I didn't get a new XC90 as well.. one of the joys of leasing is getting a new care every few years..given that the 09 XC90 was almost identical to my 06 XC90 I didn't I was to enticed to basically buy the same car again..
    Hi daisyr. It's good that you know this vehicle's MSRP, but you never mentioned what its selling price is. This is a very, very important number for you to know. The selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Without the selling price, it is difficult to tell if there is any room left to negotiate. Find out what this number is and let us know. I'm sure that either myself or another knowledgeable community member will be happy to give you their opinion on it.

For now, I can tell you that Volvo is currently providing an enormous $12,000 cash incentive on leases of the '08 XC90 V8 through independent banks. Add to this the $750 holiday bonus cash, $2,000 owner loyalty cash, and $1,000 Costco bonus cash (it makes it worth your while to join) and whatever dealer discount you are able to negotiate (you should be able to get close to dealer invoice) we're talking a very low selling price.

I see that you are considering making a $3,500 capitalized cost reduction on your lease. It would be in your best interest not to use any of the proceeds from your trade as a cap cost reduction. Consumers who make large down payments on leases risk losing part or all of them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi redtail1. Five grand less than the purchase option price on your lease contract isn't bad. However, it would be in your best interest to do two things. First, compare this price to the value of this vehicle on the open market right now. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values". You can even look at different dealer web sites on visit a few dealers to get some idea of what the market is like for '07 XC90s right now.

Also, make sure to place a call directly to Volvo Finance, or whichever bank you are leasing your vehicle through. You may be able to negotiate a lower selling price directly through them than by involving the dealer. There's no guarantee that you'll be able to, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Car_man
    Host
    Hello ucbsupafly. I believe that the lease program that you re-posted is still good. The amazingly low money factor that I mentioned was available on the base model was not a typo.

However, Volvo is scheduled to introduce a new program any day now. Please feel free to check back with me towards the end of the week and I should be able to provide you with an update on what its new January program is like. Talk to you then,

Car_man
    Host
  • sluurrpeesluurrpee Member Posts: 20
    Just got this quote on an 09 XC90 V6 AWD 7 passenger from a SoCal Dealer

MSRP: $44,570
    Cap Cost: $34,000
    Total Drive Off: $2,500
    36 months
    15k miles/yr
    MF = .00222
    Residual: 37%
    US Bank Lease

What do you think? I didn't get the break down on the drive off but it includes bank fee ($695), DMV, etc.

I'm mainly wondering if the residual and MF are correct and the best available?

Car Man do you know the residuals, MF and cash incentives on the XC90 AWD V6 through US Bank?

Thanks!
  • daisyrdaisyr Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your reply. I can't believe I forgot to include that important detail. Anyhow, the selling price was $37195. We did end up going with this deal, but wish I had gotten your message before we purchased it on Dec 23rd. Oh well...
    We did end up getting the car at invoice less all the dealer cash incentive ($13800) with a lease through Bank of the West. We also got the $750 giftcard and the $2000 loyalty cash (we own a V70XC). Residual is at 28% with MF of .00257. We did use $3500 from our tradein, and payments ended up at $505 + tax. This was done through Volvo of Marin in Northern California. We loved our salesmen. This is the 2nd car we've gotten through him. Very straightforward and no haggling.
    What do you think we could have done better, for future reference?

Thanks!
  • tsxowwnertsxowwner Member Posts: 38
    hi carman

need some advice - i am coming of my lease next month. my mercury mountaineer is a 2006 premier v8 awd, navigation, loaded. the lease was 3 yr 45k miles through an x plan in 2006. I had put 2k down paying about $442 month. while i had 45k mile lease, i only used 35k so if i lease again then i plan on doing 36k.

i am looking to downsize both vehicle and cost. i do however want a car that can transport family - wife & 2 kids in cars seats. do not want a minivan.

i have test drove the following
    mercury mariner
    ford escape and edge
    subaru b9 tribeca, outback and forrester
    nissan murano sl
    volvo XC90
    honda pilot

i have found that the x plan seems to get me nothing as cars are going for less than invoice - would you agree?

i asked for a lease price on a ford escape and they gave me $480 month. i didn't even bother negotiating since i wasn't buying - though i was amazed at the rather large amount. fact is the residual is pretty low so monthly is high

i didn't ask for a price on the subaru's but the salesman suggested that the residuals were pretty decent. my wife has an outback and i wouldn't be opposed to getting tribeca, outback or forrester.

i test drove a 2009 xc90 today. msrp was 44,570, sale price was 37,000 and with 3,500 down i could pay $595 a month. residual was 41%. with nothing down it would be close to $700 month - ridiculous. i was initially drawn to the volvo dealership b/c of good looking prices on 2008 models - though they said effective in november you can't get a lease on a 2008. also the msrp on a stripped down xc90 was only $36k, but it seems like those don't exist.

i have x plan type access to all the ford, lincoln, mercury, volvo, nissan, volkswagon, GM, but probably wont do much for me.

I like my mountaineer. the paperwork indicates i could buy it at lease end next month for 18750 + 500 + tax. I wonder if i could offer the lease company some insane low price and they would sell it to me rather than taking it in. looking on edmunds, the trade in value seems to be around $13k. thoughts on doing this and how to approach this/what to offer?

Long story short - my goal is to get some sort of suv/wagon etc. Ideally if i could pay $300-400 month with no money down that would be great. lease or buy. i don't necessarily need bells & whistles though that is how the cars on the lot seem to be. maybe i need to look at buying with a 60 month loan. live in MA

thoughts?
    Hi sluurrpee. Unfortunately, I don't know what US Bank's lease program is like on this model right now, but I can tell you that Volvo is currently providing a $5,000 cash incentive on 2009 XC90 V6 models that are leased through banks other than Volvo Finance.

Car_man
    Host
    You're welcome, daisyr. Dealer invoice minus the long list of cash incentives that you mentioned is a very good price. The main thing that I would have done differently on this deal is not use the proceeds from your trade as a capitalized cost reduction. I would have had the dealer cut me a check for it instead. Also, I can't imagine myself leasing a car that has a 28% residual value. That is unbelievably low. At that point one might as well just finance the entire vehicle. If I was set on leasing, I would lease something that has a 36 month residual value in the 50% or high 40% range.

Car_man
    Host
  • eights38eights38 Member Posts: 145
    All,

2009 Volvo XC90 3.2L AWD
    36 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 0.00250 Money Factor - 36% Residual
    39 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 0.00250 Money Factor - 34% Residual
    42 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 0.00250 Money Factor - 32% Residual
    48 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 0.00250 Money Factor - 28% Residual
    51 Months - 12,000 Miles per Year - 0.00250 Money Factor - 27% Residual
    * Subtract 1% from Residual for 15,000 Miles per Year. 10,000 Miles per Year Not Available.

Best,
    Matt
    eights38@gmail.com
  • pangilinan09pangilinan09 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Folks,
    I am currently leasing a 2007 XC90 and my lease expired this month. I am 10k miles over my leasing aggrements mileage and looking to lease a V70 2008 fwd msrp $33 685. I want to reduce the monthly payment and would like not to have any cash outlay. Any information would be appreciated.
  • speck37speck37 Member Posts: 14
    Hi Car man - you had mentioned a new program for the Volvo XC90 for January. Is there a new program? Is the program you had outlined (the one with major cash incentives) still active? Thanks so much for the great info.
    2008's can't be leased anymore.
    Even when they could, the V70 didn't lease well as Volvo didn't support the car.
    You are better off looking at another XC90, although lowering your payment is going to be very very difficult.
  • pangilinan09pangilinan09 Member Posts: 2
    Carman,
    Do you think it would be in my best interest to buy out my current XC90 and will my payments be less?
  • tpclearytpcleary Member Posts: 4
    Just went to a dealership in NJ and looked at a 2009 XC90 3.2 AWD. Premium Package and Climate Package. 5 - passenger.
    Factory to dealer incentive. $1500
    Volvo Lease support. $5000

MSRP: $41795.00
    price: $32918.00 (with dealer incentive and lease support)
    Miles: 15000
    Term: 36 Months
    Residual: .37
    Adj Residual: $16354 (on sheet. doesn't add up to 37% of MSRP)
    MF: .00240
    AQ Fee: $995.00
    Govt Fees: $500.87
    Taxes: $1541.05
    Doc Fee: $199.00
    Security: $0

Due at signing: $3814.28 (Taxes + Govt fees + Aquisition Fee + Doc Fee + first Payment).

monthly payment: $578.36

Salesman said they could move a little bit on the price to lower the payment. hundreds not thousands. We are just shopping around at this point but since he printed out the exact terms for me I figured I could post it here and see how the deal stacked up. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.
  • GeeSlimmyGeeSlimmy Member Posts: 5
    I am currently leasing a Nissan Xterra Suv 2006 that will expire in 120 days and I have been talking to three volvo dealerships in Los Angeles that do European Delivery. Recently, I was quoted a very high rate and told that Standard Rates must be used: (Here's the message below from one dealer)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - - - -----------------------------------------
    Hi Gary,

Worked up a 2009 lease on a base XC90 and your payments were 932.00!
    This is because we must use standard rates, no lease discounts, etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - - - --------------------------------------- :confuse:

Is there any way I can make this payment less per month without having to pay a very high down payment? And why are the rates so high with Volvo for E.D lease program? I thought this would be reasonable? My first expectations were $2000 walk off lot with a $400 dollar or less monthly fee for Base XC90 that would be in stock and not having to worry about the building the vehicle fees. I'm going to phone Volvo Customer Care and see if this Standard Rate is legit! It seems really high. I heard that the sales people do not make that much money off of E.D lease deals compared to selling or leasing a car off from there own lot and it seems like some of these dealers will try to sway you into buying or leasing a car off from there lot.
    Hi speck37. Here are the details of the new January lease program for you. The following numbers are for 36 month leases with 15,000 miles per year:

XC90 5 Passenger 3.2 AWD: .00257 / 39%
    XC90 7 Passenger 3.2 AWD: .00229 / 39%
    XC90 5 Passenger 3.2 FWD: .00244 / 37%
    XC90 7 Passenger 3.2 FWD: .00210 / 37%
    Base XC90 3.2 FWD: .00022 / 35%
    XC90 V8 AWD: .00139 / 38%

Volvo is currently providing a $1,500 cash incentive on leases of this model through Volvo Finance.

Volvo is providing a $5,000 cash incentive on leases of non-V8 models through independent banks and $8,250 on the V8,

Car_man
    Host
    The reason why the Volvo standard rates have to be used is because no outside lender will do a lease on a European Delivery car.
    Also, since you are already getting the European Delivery discount on the car, the special rates that apply to the normal cars bought at the dealer do not apply either.

If you want to lease, take a car out of stock.

Overseas Delivery is a wonderful experience, we are one of the top OSD retailers in the country. But, it doesn't work unless you can pay cash.
    99.9% of our OSD customers do just that.
  • GeeSlimmyGeeSlimmy Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

When you say "take a car out of stock". Do you mean have the car built for me? If this is what you mean then I know that this will cost twice as much for the drive off. I asked the dealers about getting a vehicle in stock to save myself around 3 grand. Basically the difference was from 2 grand to possibly 5 grand for drive off cost if I get the car built that's not in stock.

Also when you say, "But, it doesn't work unless you can pay cash." Do you mean it's better if I purchase the vechicle and do a 5 Year payment plan European Delivery instead of trying to do a 36 month lease European Delivery?
    I am saying that you CANNOT lease a car via the European Delivery program UNLESS you use the standard VFNA rates.
    No bank or lease co will finance ot lease a European Delivery car.

If you are leasing, take a car that is already at the dealership.
    If you can pay cash for a car, take the European Delivery option.
  • sluurrpeesluurrpee Member Posts: 20
    Volvomax - Do you think that Volvo will increase the incentives to lease through independent banks at the beginning of Feb? Even with the current incentives and dealer discounts the residual and MF are not good enough to make the XC90 an attractive lease. Any insight is appreciated.

What selling price should I be able to negotiate on a 2009 XC90 3.2 AWD before the incentives? Invoice less xxxx? Invoice + xxxx?

Anyone know if Volvo will partner with Costco again soon on this as well?

Thanks to all!
    We don't know what the new programs will be.

The residuals and MF's are real world numbers. The days of really cheap leases are over I'm afraid.

Right now, there are no plans for another costco deal anytime soon.
    If there is going to be another one, it won't happen until summertime.
  • elonlauraelonlaura Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm selling my 06 Audi Avant to make room for my growing family. I've decided to lease an XC90 because I don't want to commit long term to a non-hybrid SUV. I want leather, heated seats, and a third row. I don't care about the rest. Here's the deal I've been offered (not impressed, especially because it's for 48 not 36 months):
    2009 XC90 LEASE SPECIAL
    > 3 years / 36000 miles free maintenance
    > All Wheel Drive
    > Metallic paint
    > Climate
    > Premium
    > Versatility
    > Hands free Bluetooth
    > Wood steering wheel
    > Retail price $ 44895.00
    > 48 months lease, 12000 miles per year for $539.63 per months.
    > $2500.00 cap cost (includes first month payment & owner loyalty) plus applicable taxes and tag fee. Residual value at the end $13468.00.

Please give me your feedback. I'm new to SUVs and new to leasing. I have a new baby, so I don't want to waste a lot of time negotiating, but I want the best deal.
    Thanks so much!
  • tim916tim916 Member Posts: 7
    Car man,

Do have the lease terms for February on the XC90? Thanks.

Tim
    Residuals have tanked dramatically on SUVs, so I might say that your deal is fair.

$13468.00 residual is just horrible. I will be buying this one 4 years from now.
  • speck37speck37 Member Posts: 14
    Just signed on an XC90 lease. I think I got a pretty good deal, here are the numbers

3.2 AWD, Climate, versatility, Premium, Bluetooth, Backup Sensors, metallic paint
    12,000 Miles
    3 Years
    $1450 Down (7% NJ tax rolled into payments)
    $606 per month
    No Volvo loyalty applied to final numbers

If I didn't roll taxes in, it would have been 557 per month with 2800 Down
  • osyabender1osyabender1 Member Posts: 22
    Congrats speck37!
    Looks pretty good. Would you mind sharing the dealer contact info, as I'm in NYC and XC90 is one of my choices.
    Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.