Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• philmophilmo Member Posts: 77
    Sure, but, hey dude, it means I can't wear my baseball cap backwards...
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Just took a test drive in a new Edge. Very impressive. We actually were looking at the Escape. Drove one of those, thought it was so-so. Salesman suggested driving an Edge. What a world of improvement over the old design of the Escape. Right now we have it narrowed down to an Edge or a Mitsubishi Outlander.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The first models to feature Sync will be the 2008 Focus, Edge and Lincoln MKX when they go on sale this fall."

Ford's recovery starting to SYNC in? (Karl on Cars)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Although the seat back adjustment is manual, you can fine tune it just by raising the front of the seat cushion a smidge by lifting up on the front half of the power seat adjustment lever.

It works in my Mustang.

Mark.
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Yeah, I'm 6'3" and they fit me fine. It's the first car I've had that didn't break my neck on long drives. Fits like a glove.
  • arg3arg3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently stopped in to drive a 2007 Ford Edge. I really liked the vehicle. It was quiet, strong acceleration, easy to get into and out. However, those headrests on the cloth version are terrible. I am a male 6'1" and the headrest pushes your head forward in a very uncomfortable position. According to the dealer, they have heard several complaints regarding this. If you try the leather seat version, somehow the headrests are not cantilevered forward as much and there is a world of difference. Since we were looking for a cloth version, we will pass on the Edge due to those headrests. Hopefully, Ford will fix the problem
    Weird, my dealer doesn't even stock cloth edges.

Mark.
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    I've read a few things about Ford adding quite a few enhancements to the 2008 Edge; at least more than you'd expect this early in the game. It seems they are adding a power rear lift gate as well as an "upgraded" interior among other things. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any more details regarding these upgrades. If they improved the interior materials and did something to improve the braking performance, I'd be much more inclined to consider an Edge for my next vehicle.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Word is the braking is improved with new tires but that's not something they'll advertise. I haven't heard of any interior upgrades other than an Interior Appearance Package:

• Premium red leather seating surfaces, and red contrast stitching on steering wheel and shifter knob
  • porcinimanporciniman Member Posts: 23
    I clicked on this aformentioned addy, but...it was too general!

I hope this addy is more succint.
    http://media.ford.com/products/model.cfm?vehicle_id=1607
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Yes it is...and you can register as a non-media user..very nice place but dissapointed in the upcoming choice of colors...I think the blew it..for mr thst is the only color I will consider is the Vapor silver....
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Car Man:

Can you post the lease rates and residuals for the 2007 Edge SEL+ both AWD and FWD for 36 and 39 month leases? The information was supposed to change today. Thank you.
    programs change on the 10th.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    We took a little trip from Minneapolis up to the Boundary Water Canoe Area in Northern MN last week and rented an AWD Edge for the trip. The drive included Interstate, winding two-lanes, washboard-rough logging roads and about every other condition except mountains. I thought I would share my impressions of the Edge:

First thing I noticed was that the headrest seemed to close to my head but after a short time, I got used to that and liked it. In fact, I would say the Edge seats are among the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I also noticed that the dash is kind of a jigsaw puzzle of parts and panels. The fit and finish was first rate but it would look better if they could have more large panels instead of so many small ones. To Ford's credit, there were absolutely no creaks, squeaks, jingles or rattles anywhere in the cabin.

The Edge is extremely quiet - excellent isolation from wind and road noise. Also, I was very impressed with the ride. This is a very comfortable vehicle for a trip. We also appreciated all of the storage areas. I will quibble with the tilt/telescope wheel. It does not go low enough or vertical enough to suit me. I kind of felt like I was driving a bus based on the wheel position.

It is common for traffic to cruise at 80-85 MPH on I35 between Minneapolis and Duluth and the Edge was right at home. It is so high geared in OD that the engine was only turning about 2200 RPM at 80+ MPH. That is fine for highway fuel economy but I was less impressed on winding two-lanes at 55-60. The engine turns so slowly that the least little hill or nudge on the throttle would unlock the torque converter and often cause a downshift. The transmission is extremely smooth but for a gearhead like me, this frequent shifting is annoying. Most drivers probably wouldn't notice any of this.

The 3.5 provides good power but you are aware that the Edge is heavy. The engine is also very smooth but the sound level at higher RPM is still not quite as pleasing as I had hoped. Since the road and wind noise level is so low, you hear more engine noise on hard acceleration and on the downshifts. We averaged about 21 MPG for the 700 mile round-trip.

Overall, I think most folks who like SUVs would love the Edge. I am more of a sedan or coupe guy, so it seemed a bit tall and cumbersome compared to my Lincoln LS. If I were in the market for an SUV-type vehicle, it would be a hard decision for me between a V8 Explorer and the Edge. The new Explorers are very quiet and ride well, too, but would use a bit more fuel.

One last thing: I obviously didn't measure stopping distances but our rental Edge had Hankook tires and they seemed to grip quite well. The brakes felt very strong to me and I had complete confidence that panic stops would not be an issue.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    If I were in the market for an SUV-type vehicle, it would be a hard decision for me between a V8 Explorer and the Edge. The new Explorers are very quiet and ride well, too, but would use a bit more fuel.

We averaged 21.8 mpg in our '06 V6 Explorer two weeks ago. It was a 500+ mile round trip all on the PA Turnpike. 70-75 mph with A/C on and CC on most of the way.

That's not too far off from the Edge you rented but I had a lot more room for stuff which I needed. I'm slowly starting to realize that these CUVs from all mfrs aren't all they're cracked up to be. :sick:
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I don't quite "get" the popularity of CUVs either. The Edge is nearly as heavy as an Explorer yet will not tow or carry as much. The Edge is a tall heavy vehicle and feels nothing like the Fusion upon which the platform is based. Yes, the Edge drives and handles well considering its weight and height but it is no midsized sedan. I still think the Explorer is hard to beat and there are some great deals to be had on them, too.
    I have to admit to being disappointed in the whole crossover trend as well. On paper it looked great in that theoretically you end up with a vehicle with as much or more room as a traditional SUV but with better handling and mileage. So far vehicles like the Edge only seem to partially live up to that promise.

I understand what makes cars heavy, and with more safety structure and systems being added every year it's hard to keep vehicles from being bloated, but it seems to me that the Edge, as well as many other vehicles from Ford and other manufacturers, are still conspicuously heavy. I'm surprised that will all the current emphasis on mileage that more manufacturers aren't making gains in ways to make vehicles lighter. A few hundred pounds off the Edge would make half of the complaints about the vehicle disappear overnight.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Part of the weight problem as I see it is the sound deadening materials. It's nice to have a quiet interior but at what cost you have to ask?
    I believe that the manufactures concern is not to loose the people from the big SUV segment ( I do drive an 05 EXPI) by offering them a "similar" SUV (CUV) with better mileage and lighter weight than the current SUV vehicles. Hopefully the CUV segment will go through an evolution over time in which space and good mileage will be achieved.
    All manufactures are thinking along the same lines because they believe that the first one that achieves such balance will dominate that segment of the industry.
    That may be a close contest. After all, the Explorer has an independent rear suspension something that only the Nissan Pathfinder offers among body on frame SUVs.

Go drive a Jeep product with its live axle pickup truck suspension then drive an Edge. It will be like getting into a sports car.

Mark
  • bahamamichaelbahamamichael Member Posts: 7
    I came across a picture of a Mercury CUV on http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html
    This vehicle is supposed to be a model that was shelved by Ford, well anyway, so says the guys at Popular Mechanics. I think that they are wrong about this. I think that this model will be produced at a later date. This CUV looks to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. Look closely at the headlight cluster, the new satin aluminum grill, and the lower front fascia. They ALL look like styling cues from the 2008 Mercury Sable. :shades:
  • bahamamichaelbahamamichael Member Posts: 7
    Compare these pictures. The first one is from the Mercury CUV at http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219078.html and the second one is at http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-taurus-sable-on-track/293664/ , the fact that the Montego has been somewhat redesigned to become the Sable (once again), proves that this CUV had to have been designed recently. This Mercury CUV looks like it is going to be the Mercury version of the Ford Taurus X. What do you think guys?
  • duckguyduckguy Member Posts: 1
    We have about 2500 miles on an Edge Sel Plus, bought the vehicle after renting one for a weekend. Front seats are the main reason for the purchase as my back needs very gentle treatment. However, there are few items that I just can’t understand how Ford makes such poor decisions. Ok, the dash is littered with chrome-like and brushed aluminum finish that makes driving very unpleasant on a sunny day. The top of the dash has piece brushed aluminum that we’ve covered, it’s just too much of distraction. Light switch is just right for my knee when entering. Would like to have a power lift unit on the rear door, not available.

We like the vehicle, but gosh Ford people who is evaluating these vehicles?
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    We have 500 miles on our Edge and are very happy with it. One thing seems slightly strange and am curious if any other owners are noticing the same thing. In driving 60 to 65 the slightest acceleration or hill causes a downshift all the way to 4th, skipping 5th entirely. This is a very pronounced shift causing the engine to rev unnecessarily. I don't understand why it doesn't shift to 5th and then to 4th if needed. Anyone else noticing this? I plan to talk to me dealer.
  • jpplyjpply Member Posts: 2
    I have about 1700 miles on my sel plus edge,I havent noticed any shifting issues like you mentioned.I really like the edge except the milage is not great (15-18)city and (19-23)hwy.
  • elliemaejelliemaej Member Posts: 79
    Can someone tell me which car rental agencies have Edge's. I am heading on vacation soon and would like to rent one.
    mark.
  • syracusesyracuse Member Posts: 2
    I too have found the forward tilting headrests to be a problem. However, when I removed the headrests and reversed them (tilt to the rear), I found them to be much more "user friendly". This may be an easy fix for those who have issue with the headreasts.
    When you flip the headrests, you are seriously degrading the performance of the vehicle when you get REAR ENDED. Rear enders are probably the one form a accident that is hardest for the driver to do anything to avoid. You are just sitting there minding your own business and you get slammed.

The Edge received a "Top Safety Pick" designation from IIHS based on having the best results on FRONT, SIDE and REAR impact.

Good rear impact performance relies on the HEADRESTS.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=599

Also, it is documented that Women are at a greater risk than men of suffering whiplash in an auto accident and have a greater risk of delayed recovery.

http://www.backpain.org/pages/p_pages/pr-women.php

I strongly suggest that you just recline the seat a little so that the headrest is NOT hitting your head.

If you feel like you are back to far, you can then use the height adjustments on the seat to tip it forward. This will not change the position of the headrest relative to your head.

Mark.
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    When they say power mirrors, does that include power folding of the mirrors, or just adjustments?

Anyone know?
    ...only adjustments...the power folding that I have seen is in 'high buck" cars
  • redundantredundant Member Posts: 15
    Thanks. Yeah, I figured, though I thing a few minivans have it now, so, was hoping.
    ..don't be discourage..the EDGE has many other interesting features...
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    One feature which the new Edge does not offer is a rear cargo cover. This is a relatively small detail but good vehicles are comprised of small details properly attended to by their manufacturers.
    They're available as a dealer accessory.
    The mirrors or the cargo cover?....
    The cargo cover.
    ..thanks glad to know since I am going to get an EDGE 08 towards the end of the year..are you in the EDGE forums too?..
    Funny. I was told by two dealers that there was no cargo cover available period, accessory or standard equipment.
    I think it was only made available a couple of months ago. Here's the info from the Ford accessory page (can't link to it - go to the Edge vehicle page at fordvehicles.com and click on Accessories at the bottom left).

Cargo Security Shade, Ebony
    Part Number: 7T4Z-7845440-AA
    MSRP: $125.00

Fits:
    Ford Edge 2008 2007
    Thanks.
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    Total MSRP= 34,040 got $4600 off Cash price=$29,440 & ZERO Financing..
    Silicon Valley, California.. Sweet Deal
    Vista 18" chrome, Seating Flex,tow pk (like I'm going to useit) Reverse sensing, leather seats,Audiohile CDx6

Go Getum...
    I test drove an Edge today and thought I'd share my impressions.

I thought I was in the market for a BMW X5 until I actually drove one (this was an '06 4.4 by the way.) I was very disappointed in this vehicle. Very small inside and I just didn't think it lived up to all the hype about BMW handing, etc. It didn't drive badly, just not special at all. The back seat was barely adequate and the front felt very cramped.

I then moved on to the VW Touareg, thinking that I'd like that since I'm currently driving a Passat W8 which I love. Again, this car was nothing special on the road. It has a very nice interior, but the back seat is very cramped and uncomfortable. Something about going from the Passat into a larger vehicle and losing rear seat room (I have 3 kids) doesn't sit well with me.

I drove the Edge mostly out of curiosity, and because I'm a Ford fan from way back even though I don't currently own any. I had written this vehicle off based on reviews even though I really like the way they look. I have to say I was pretty darned impressed with this vehicle overall. The Edge has it all over the X5 and Touareg when it comes to packaging. The Edge felt just right the moment I sat in it. It has some of the best seats I've ever been in and the leather was surprisingly soft and comfortable. The rear seat was far superior to those other vehicles and seemed like I could actually ride back there for a couple hours without cramping up. On the road the Edge is very quiet. You can hear the engine when you really get on it but I didn't find this to be disturbing. It handles bumps in the road that jolted the X5 and Touareg with a slight muffled thump; I was actually steering it into road imperfections and it was amazingly solid. The car handles quite well, although you are aware that it's a pretty heavy vehicle when you push it into corners. I'm sure on a track the X5 would beat the Edge, but I don't drive my cars on the track. Acceleration was strong but not amazing; better than the 280HP Touareg and not as good as the 315 HP X5. The one gripe that I have is the damned interior materials. To be specific, the dash and door materials. Why why why is Ford still using el cheapo hard plastic everywhere? This whole soft touch materials thing has been around forever now and Ford still doesn't seem to get it. My previous car, a '99 VW Passat, had gorgeous soft touch materials everywhere; it was like the dash was encased in leather. Here we are 8 plus years later and Ford is still giving us hard plastic dash boards and door panels? Inexcusable.

Honestly, if it weren't for the cheap plastics I'd have my mind made up already. After 2 VW's I'm very spoiled with great interiors and the thought of taking a step down (while still spending around the same money) really bugs me. Still, the Edge is a great car and I might end up behind the wheel of one soon. I'm going to wait for the '08 upgrades and see where things end up. I've read a couple of vague references to possible door trim redesigns and interior tweaks so I'm hoping that someone at Ford got a clue and switched out the Mattel plastics for something more fitting for what is otherwise such a strong vehicle.

As a side note, I really have to admit that the people that have been harping about not taking magazine reviews too seriously are right when it comes to this vehicle. I did a bunch of research before driving these cars, and once I drove them my opinion completely did a 180.
    Have you looked at the MKX? Major upgrade in the interior materials plus a few extras like cooled seats and THX II stereo.
  • johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    Took my new SEL + AWD out to Morro Bay +400 miles, damn talking about nice ride, had 150 of city & the rest hwy going 58 to 78 mph some AC.. 22.5 MPG od reading 514 as it sits in the drive way.. had my inlaws in the back for about 70 miles to the ocean & back they loved the ride & very comfy (Large woman). I as driver of the edge loved it, Vista is sweet(shade/catcher is a must especially at night(hot August Night.) Carbon Metalic with Stone leather not to hot sitting in the sun..
    very sharp looking.. Go get one.. I did go to 2008 site & see the red sport seats very tacky(not for me) Time to buy 07 with some clearance pricing & Zero financing..
    There are some color changes for the worse if you ask me for 2008 so If you are thinking about this car, and you like the following colors:

Alloy,
    Dune,
    Pewter,

These colors are going away.

A couple of nice changes. 20 inch wheels will be available on the Limited (Limited is just a renamed SEL +). Also Ford's Synch will be available. www.synchmyride.com

On the down side, Synch is a limited order option and since it is standard on the Limited, the Limiteds are going to be in short supply.

LEAVE it to the morons at Ford to come up with a great new EXCLUSIVE feature then limit its availability. First it was the Vista Roof, now its Synch.

Mark.
    Yeah, when these vehicles were first announced I thought that the Lincoln would be right up my alley, but I really don't like the grille on the Lincoln at all; there's something "80's Chysler minivan" about it that I can't get past. I haven't seen the MKX's interior in person, but I'm a bit lukewarm on the retro shapes, and from what I read (I know...drive one!) the materials are still not up to snuff with other vehicles in the same price range. Overall I just don't think the MKX is worth the extra $$$, but it does have some very nice options. I think Ford needs to finally treat Lincoln like a real brand and give it unique powertrain options. All of the other premium brands give you a power increase (among other things) over the more mainstream versions, but Lincoln mostly tries to get by with just adding more goodies on the inside. Hopefully this improves in the future.

Anyway, the Edge is still in the running. I'm shifting my focus away from slightly used "premium" SUV's like the X5 and more toward new vehicles in the Edge's category. I'll be checking out the new Toyota Highlander, which seems impressive. Looks pretty "generic Japanese SUV" to me, but has a lot going for it. I have high hopes for Ford Sync, which might sway me as well.

I've arrived at the opinion that once you leave the Edge's general price range, you quickly reach the point of diminishing returns as far as what you get for your money. Not that there aren't some nice cars in the higher ranges, but I generally believe you pay a lot more for modest upgrades, and sometimes the downsides are surprising. I drove a 55K Audi Q7 just to get it out of my system and while it had an impeccable interior and a nice on board computer (no NAV in this car) I couldn't really see much to justify the extra 20K. It was also just sort of weird and big, but not terribly big on the inside. Anyway, I digress, but suffice it to say I put that one in the underwhelming category too. ;)
    I enjoy your perspectives on the different options presented to us the buying public. On the MKX, I laughed because my wife thinks the same as you...and to think that because it was a bit upscale she would like it more...well she just plain hates it. The EDGE as of now is the winner for us,the Highlander,well nice, but here in the northeast (I don't know where you are) the TOYOTA dealers think that since it is a Toyota no negotiations..at least most of them..I know someone will dispute this but that has been my expirience (maybe a few hundred dollars off,of course depending on the model)...
    Good luck to you and let us know your final decision...mine for the money is going to be an EDGE 2008
    Yeah, that is my experience with Toyota as well, and I'm also in the northeast. We bought an '04 Sienna and got a few hundred bucks off and that was it. The Ford dealer threw something like 6K at us trying to get us to take a Freestar, but unfortunately the Sienna was so much better that even the massive cost difference didn't matter. I'm sure with the Highlander getting good reviews and being brand new that they're going to go close to sticker, especially for the loaded ones that I tend to go for. Ford seems to be dealing on Edges, so that will certainly be a factor. I'm thinking an '08 Edge is the front runner for me as well.

The Edge reminds me a bit of the Explorer several years ago. It wasn't the best at any category, but was good at a lot of different things. I don't think I ever saw it win a single magazine comparison, yet they sold like mad for years. I think the Edge is in the same ballpark.

An interesting anecdote: The Ford salesman I dealt with claimed he hadn't lost a single sale to BMW X5's. Whenever people say they are also looking at X5's he has them bring the X5 to his lot for a side by side comparison. He said people always end up liking the Edge better and wondering why the X5 costs so much. Obviously you have to take this with a grain of salt since it came from a Ford salesman, but it was my EXACT experience comparing the two vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.