Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    However, there is nothing worse than cold starts for an engine (particularly in cold weather climates).

I don't think this is much of an issue because the HSD has a trick up it's sleeve. When the ICE is started MG1 is used to spin it up to about 1000RPM or so rather than the 100-150 RPM that a regular starter motor can manage. This speed is maintained for a short while until engine oil pressure has been established. At that point fuel and sparks are added which allows the engine to actually start and run.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The info below is from carconnection.com. I linked the article below if anyone wants more information.

If you are driving a hybrid Camry without trying too hard in saving gas you can expect 32 MPG:

But fuel economy probably remains the top reason for wanting the hybrid, if not being able to boast to the neighbors. It carries stellar EPA ratings of 43 city, 36 highway. While we know that hybrid models aren't quite turning out their rated mileage in the real world, we were quite impressed with the trip-computer average we saw on our Camry Hybrid test car; in the mixed, mostly stop-and-go driving loop that Toyota had set up for us, the test car was averaging about 32 mpg - not bad at all for a bunch of hot-footed journalists trying to feel out the system.

The Toyota Camry's priority is frugal gas mileage versus performance. Expect to hit 60 mph in 9.4 seconds.

In the Hybrid model, Toyota opted to tune the Camry's system more for economy than all-out performance (you can expect more of a performance emphasis from Lexus models), as most Camry buyers tend toward the practical and frugal side of the car-buying spectrum. You can expect decent performance, though; the Camry hybrid isn't particularly sprightly off the line, but it does offer great passing power - better than the four, though not quite as athletic as the six - once the gasoline engine revs up with the motor in full assist. In low-speed stop-and-go driving, Hybrid drivers stand to gain the most, as the Camry can creep along with the electric motor only for a considerable time.

And for those all-important numbers, the Camry's hybrid powertrain offers 0-60 in about 9.4 seconds. Expect the four-cylinder to be around the ten-second mark while the V-6 will slot in at around seven seconds (slightly higher than the new RAV4 with the same engine)

Unlike the Hybrid Accord, the hybrid Camry will have similar interior and trunk space to non-hybrid Camrys:

Camry Hybrids are packaged much the same way as the other models - with similar interior and trunk space. That alone is evidence of there's evidence of a good design, as engineers had to find places for bulky elements like the hybrid transaxle, inverter, and battery.

Expect slight differentiation in styling for the upcoming hybrid Camry:

Hybrids also get a slightly different appearance, including blue-tinted headlight reflectors, LED taillamps, and a matte-chrome grille in front that flows into the fascia.

Camry Hybrid Details
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi MidCow:

Not at all but when I see you post this kind of non-sense time and time again, someone has to be a check and balance let alone the personal BS …

Did not get a hybrid becuase:

they really don't save money
    they only come in funky colors
    many are so underpowered as to not be safe

or

so I am asking the tooth-fairy for another 15 miles per gallon like Excel gets.

MidCow

I can’t help that your FE is middling but spewing your own brand of unknowledgeable information is not constructive. Unless you are willing to give up your V6 because it can’t be driven for FE far beyond whatever it is you have achieved ;)

The TCH will not only rock the Accord in the FE department (and I own an Accord), it will be an all-around excellent performer as far as most family sedans are concerned. Owning V6’s w/ today’s and worse yet, tomorrows gasoline prices is already a thing of the past. You have not yet realized this paradigm shift has already occurred … The TCH owner will be LAO sitting in a traffic jam cruising along in EV w/ A/C at an infinite FE all the while you are shifting and fighting and bitching while that V6 is sucking down fuel at a 5 mpg or less rate. The TCH makes that kind of commute so much more enjoyable knowing its owner(s) are emitting far less pollutants, receiving far better FE, and in a much quieter and much more relaxing environment.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Zzzzz Zzzzz
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The TCH will not only rock the Accord in the FE department (and I own an Accord), it will be an all-around excellent performer as far as most family sedans are concerned.

Preliminary info. lead me to believe the Camry Hybrid will be an all around winner in every way except price.

I need to locate storage for one of my vehicles by this Fall so I will have space in my garage for the Camry Hybrid! :)
    What does price matter, no one is buying a hybrid to save money. Remeber the mileage payout for the hybrid premium doesn't occur untiul the person has owned the car for 5 years.

Funny commercial on the PGA yesterday touting a Buick being better than a Lexus LOL.

Oxymoron = hybrids save money!

Cheers,

MidCow
    For more riveting details please refer to the two links below:

1)

Real world mileage of 36 MPG does not sound too shabby for the upcoming hybrid Camry:

Yet company reps told us a current-generation Camry, with the new hybrid drivetrain, averaged 36 mpg over a 4,200-mile trip between New York and Los Angeles during early testing. They are confident the new, sleeker-bodied car will improve on that real-world number.

Edmunds Hybrid Camry Review

2)

8.9 seconds to hit 60mph is not shabby especially when compared to other hybrid cars.

With 192 horsepower on tap from the combination gasoline motor and electric motor, acceleration was more than adequate for daily driving with Toyota claiming a 0-60 acceleration time of 8.9 seconds.

It is hard not to be impressed when you look at the THC's hybrid component/battery warranty . With that kind of warranty, TOyota is very confident about their hybrids:

The hybrid components have different coverage depending on where you live. For most of the country, the hybrid components, which include the hybrid battery, are covered for 8-years or 100,000 miles. If you live in CA, MA, NY, NJ, VT, ME, NH or RI, the hybrid components (except for the battery) are covered for 15 years or 150,000 miles! The hybrid battery is warranted in those states for 10 years or 150,000 miles. That should help you make a decision.

Family Car Review
    What does price matter, no one is buying a hybrid to save money.

That is precisisely why price does matter.
    Midcow: "What does price matter, no one is buying a hybrid to save money."

Moparbad: "That is precisisely why price does matter."

You crack me up. Look at what you just stated: intrepreted -: "Price matters because no one is buying a hybrid to save money" did you miss putting another "NOT" in or taking the "no" out.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Wait until the gas price reach $3.50 per gallon which could happen this summer. You could save easily $500.00 per year! And no, whoever care performance will not consider Hybrid. Even the HP is more than V6 engine only like Accord, the added weight will pay the toll on excessive body roll at turn. The MPG claimed is far from practical since road condition, driving habit and traffic flow all affect the MPG. We should look how many percentage you can get in regular driving way and decide by your purpose on Hybrid. My 2 cents.
    cooldad24 said:

"Wait until the gas price reach $3.50 per gallon which could happen this summer. You could save easily $500.00 per year! "

I completely agree with you about saving $500 a year. Now since hybrids usually cost about $3,000 more than non hybrid versions, it will take you 6 years of saving $500 to break even.

And perfomance is coming into play the New 2007 Hybrid Camry will go 0-60 in under 9 seconds. This is the same perfromance that other Camrys get.

The Accord Hybrid is a perfromance V6 , infact it has more performance than all the normal V6 Accords except the 6-speed. It's perfromance is arounbd 6.5 sseconds.

And the new Lexus 450h is speced to go 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

Contrary to what some users on hybrid forums think, 0-60 mph is a metric that measures perfromance nad does not mean that someone who is concerned about it always floors a car and always try s to accelarate as fast as they can. It is a standard metric for measuring perfromance, that is all.

And by the same token the Prius is very slow. Optimist tests have 0-60 in 10.5 seconds with a full battery chagre. More realistic tests put hte time at 11-12 seconds. At even the 10.5 the Prius is the slowset of any vehiclei n the current Totoya line. As some salesman have pointed out it does have accelration equivalnet to 6 year old 4 cylender automatic Camrys, but current Camrys are much faster.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I completely agree with you about saving $500 a year. Now since hybrids usually cost about $3,000 more than non hybrid versions, it will take you 6 years of saving $500 to break even.

not the correct comparo..

TCH 'V6' should be compared to the other ICE V6's offered by Toyota all of which sould be about in the same range - some higher some lower.

I wont pay a 'premium' for a V6 anything, I dont need it.
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    I read in Road and Track awhile back, the way the internal combustion engine is designed, to achieve ultimate performance and fuel mileage one should speed away from stops and obtain cruising speed as quickly as possible....that goes against most conventional wisdom that says slow smooth starts and stops gets the best mileage. Sounds screwy to me but thats what they claim.
    As far as the premium one pays for a hybrid, unless one drives in excess of 100,000 miles a year it would take several years to re-coup the difference in price.
    Yes and NO to your two points.

Hybrid drivers have 'rediscovered' that pulse and glide is the best way for the hybrid system to conserve fuel while driving at a steady speed, on a Hwy for example, if you speed up to cruising speed an ICE is most efficient while cruising. In the new technologies GM, Honda and others actually shut off 3 out of the 6 cylinders. If you have a 250 hp engine you may only need about 75 of these horses while cruising.

There is no payback period on a hybrid. It's a false comparison. Do not buy a hybrid in order to save money it's the wrong reason to do so! Buy a hybrid because you like the vehicle or dont because you dont like it. It really is that simple. If you happen to save some money that's an added benefit, like getting a discount at time of purchase, nothing more.

Now in the case of the new Camry hybrid the price likely will be lower than the other models so this kills this entire idea.
  • vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    I am a bit surprised to see that no reviewers bang Toyota over the head for copying other cars in style. This is shameless. This one looks like a Mazda 6 from the front and like a Honda Civic from the back. Their latest Lexus looks like a BMW 7, now, while in the past they copied Mercedes.
    They're good cars, but I think they should hire a stylist!!!
  • yingyang006yingyang006 Member Posts: 14
    Haha, well what isn't being copied these days? At least toyota finally got a clue and redesigned the camry, I thought the previous 97-2001 gen they had was much more asthetically pleasing and stylish than the 2002-2006 gen. I actually recently got the 06 accord special edition simply because it blew away the 06 camry in terms of style and handling. (at least during my test drives) In addition to the cars you stated that they copied, I think they took a lot from the 06 accord too, the dash looks a lot like my special edition, they finally decided to have side curtain airbags, electronic brake distribution, and 16 inch alloy wheels instead of 15 inchers. All these things were standard on my special edition, which is what won me over for the 06 model. I like toyota cars too, (I own a 97 camry and it is a very reliable car) and I wouldnt have hesitated to buy a camry if it had all the features and styling that the 06 accord had. If I was buying a new car next year, the 07 camry would definitely be a serious consideration for me, even if it is a copy of my 06 accord and several other cars. :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to join the Eagle One team in a live chat event tonight to find out how nanotechnology is changing the future in car appearance products.

The chat gets underway at 9PM ET/6PM PT.

There's also going to be a special offer available only to those attending the chat, so don't miss this one.

Eagle One Team Chat

Hope to see you there!
    Camy Hybrid Recipe

Innovation from top to bottom. Kudos Toyota!
    Copying is the sincerest form of flattery. Make my next one look like a Ferrari

LOL -You noticed that nobody ever copied the Pontiac Aztek or the Prius ???

Or the rear end of the 2003-2005 Accord Sedan, well except Sonata.

CopyCat,

MidCow
  • devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    I'm rather fond of the Generation 2 Prius' styling. It certainly was an improvement over the first generatation's style. To me, it looks a lot sportier. Yes, I know sporty isn't a term you'd you use to describe the Prius...
    I'm rather fond of the Generation 2 Prius' styling.
    To each his own.

I prefer the 1st generation Prius. Prius II out ugly's the Aztek. Great powertrain, terrible styling.

07 Camry is very nice IMO.
  • toyotamovertoyotamover Member Posts: 19
    Less fuel usage = Less dependency on foreign oil period. It should not be about money and if you can't see that or can't afford it, buy something else.

Read the latest news headlines today. Iran is back to enriching plutonium - and it is not to make nuclear energy like they say. They want the bomb and will not hesitate to use it. The UN Security council threatens to stop them with sanctions. They say,"OK go ahead and we will stop shipping you oil". Russia and Germany say,"whoa not so fast let's think about these sanctions". Maybe its ok if they enrich as long as we get our oil. What????? Ask Israel if they are ok with that after the Iranian leader said he wished they were all dead.

Why are we really in Iraq using our soldiers like they are expendable inanimate objects. Because of WMDs - oops none of those were found. Because Hussein and Bin Laden were buddies - oops wrong on that one too - turns out they hated each other. Come on G.W. please tell us the truth. Could it be OIL??? ding ding ding

We need to free ourselves from this and do it now. If just 25% of us drove hybrids we would be free. Think about it. It is NOT about the money. Sorry, but I am tired of hearing that.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    If just 25% of us drove hybrids we would be free.

Not sure where you got your calculations. Even if 100% of us drove hybrids we would still need Middle Eastern oil. That is probably why we are in Iraq.

Think about it. If we all drove a Prius and got 50 MPG that would not cut our usage in half. We import 3/4 of all the oil we use. The odds on 10% owning a hybrid in the next 10 years is slim. We don't like diesel and that can be home grown. Ethanol is a joke as far as saving oil or the planet. Hydrogen is the biggest joke and waste of tax dollars. You may as well get use to the status quo. It is not changing until the world oil supply gets very very low. Save your money and buy a non-hybrid Civic.

PS
    You will be real lucky to get a 15% fuel savings with the Camry hybrid over the regular 4 cylinder model. It is PZEV rated so what will the premium buy you?
  • toyotamovertoyotamover Member Posts: 19
    Not sure about your math. Your saying our usage would not be cut in half in we all drove Prius? Am I wrong in that statement means everyone is getting at least 25 MPG if getting 50 MPG won't save us half? I would be willing to bet - just based on the fact over half of the vehicles on the road are V8 trucks and sport utilities - that the average MPG is more like 20 MPG or less. Also given the fact that over half of the driving is city or city/highway driving which is the lower end a conventional gas engines range. Add to that the figures the EPA has come up with are inflated because the testing is skewed and not realistic. I am sure that if everyone drove a Prius we would not need foreign oil for our cars at least and would be a lot less dependant on it than we are. If one country say Iran decided not to supply with oil we could fulfill our needs elsewhere.

However I am a realist. Will everyone buy a Hybrid - no. Will 50% - no etc... We are a society of consumers and the bulk of us do not think about the consequence of our consumption. "Why should I sacrifice when someone else will just use it" "I won't be here in a hundred years, why should I care" "I have to get that 3500 series dually with V10 and 5 MPG because Frank has one plus it is cool". I already feel sorry for our children's children. Maybe they will all be driving hybrids.
    I would be willing to bet - just based on the fact over half of the vehicles on the road are V8 trucks and sport utilities

Moved to Hybrids duds & diesels thread....
    You will be real lucky to get a 15% fuel savings with the Camry hybrid over the regular 4 cylinder model. It is PZEV rated so what will the premium buy you?

It depends on what kind of driving you do. Living and working in downtown means most my driving is on downtown roads. With my kind of driving I feel quite optimistic that my fuel savings with a hybrid Camry will involve more than 15% fuel savings over a equivalent 4 cyl. Camry.
    Toyotamover said:

"Less fuel usage = Less dependency on foreign oil period. It should not be about money and if you can't see that or can't afford it, buy something else.

....We need to free ourselves from this and do it now. If just 25% of us drove hybrids we would be free. Think about it. It is NOT about the money. Sorry, but I am tired of hearing that."

Actually the problem is not so much the miles per gallon of any vehicle, buit the fact that the number of vehicle miles driven each year is exponentially increasing. Reducing gas consumption and emisisons per vehicle doen't help that much if the vehicle base keeps increasing.

There are alternative forms of fuel but they have to be planned developed and implemented.

YThere is mas transportation, but unless it is fairly ubiquitious and mandated it will never happen.

Combine the two and reintroduce nulcear. Nuclear based mass public transportations and power generation. Cuurnet coal electric generation not only has high emmissions but we are actually starting to run low on coal. Check you recent electic bill.

By why doesn't the government do any of this, because it is all about saving time, effort, and money!

Okay if you really want to conserve gasoline go to a push mover for your lawn, open your windows and quit using air conditioning and heating, become an agrarian and grow your own food, quit driving cars altogether get a bicycle for transporation.

Shifting,

MidCow
    gagrice wrote:

dewey wrote:
    It depends on what kind of driving you do. Living and working in downtown means most my driving is on downtown roads. With my kind of driving I feel quite optimistic that my fuel savings with a hybrid Camry will involve more than 15% fuel savings over a equivalent 4 cyl. Camry.

Two points:
    The comparo should be between the TCH and other V6's. One of the benefits of this technology is that it allows the driver to choose if it's performance or pure economy that's most important. The TCH can be driven like any other V6 with 190+ HP and no consideration at all for FE. In this comparo the FE improvement is, at worst, 25% assuming one drives like the leadfooted testers.

As Dewey mentioned in his particular situation:
    It depends entirely on you and your personal circumstances. With the technology at your disposal why wouldnt you use it to maximze your FE if that's your choice.

Real numbers: since 1989 I have driven 4c Camry's - until the Prius 2 months ago. With the new technologies available in the ICE 4c's a driver will get realworld 31 mpg everyday for 10 years in Highway driving. But in the city you will only get about 25-26 mpg. Of this I am absolutely certain based on 500000+ miles of driving 4c Camry's.

If you use the best features of the new TCH you will get about 35-36 mpg on the Hwy and way over 40 mpg in the city driving.

At worst over a valid statistical sample of say 15000 mi using the best features of the system any driver will get right at 35 mpg combined every year of its life. This is about a 60% improvement for mainly city driving and a 10% improvement for mainly highway driving. The weighted average between the two will determine your annual FE.
    Here is a great paragraph from the link below:

The Hybrid tucked right in between the LE and the XLE, in performance, especially, although the instantaneous torque from the electric motor at times delivered acceleration that felt equal to, if not quicker than the V6. And compared with the Honda Accord Hybrid, the transitions between just the electric motor powering the car to full hybrid, with motor and engine together, were much smoother. Not invisible, but more heard than felt, whereas in an Accord Hybrid we had driven a couple weeks earlier, the transitions sometimes felt like an almost-missed shift. But in terms of ride, handling and interior comfort, were it not for the graphic display of the hybrid's status, the substitution of a welcome, real-time, fuel economy gauge for the tachometer and the unique, abbreviated shift gate, we easily could have believed we were driving an XLE. The hybrid system combines a 147-hp, 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engine with a 45-hp permanent magnet synchronous electric motor, yielding a net 192 horsepower.

Hybrid Review
    The comparo should be between the TCH and other V6's

This is where we disagree. First my understanding is that Toyota sells about 80% of their Camry model as a 4 C. So the improvement should be on that model not the V6. After all the whole premise behind the hybrids was to improve the mileage of a given type vehicle. Honda failed miserably with the HAH. We will not know for a while but for me to consider the Camry Hybrid with the added complexity, I would have to see a combined 40 MPG for the average driver.

The week I drove a Camry 4C I thought it had more than enough power and acceleration for a family sedan. If I wanted to satisfy a speed demon residing in myself I would buy a Porsche.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For the new generation, Toyota is going to sell non-hybrid 4s at 60% of Camry sales...this is according to the newest issue of Car and Driver.

~alpha
    This is one of the best benefits of this new trim. You are actually getting two vehicles for the price of one. My own phrase.

If you want to drive a V6 you can do so and likely get FE ratings in the low 30's.

If you want to drive a 4c you can do this and potentially get FE ratings in the low 40's.

It's the owner's choice. It certainly does make the comparo's more complex. Both are valid.
  • one91mr2one91mr2 Member Posts: 11
    If you want a fast Camry, get the V6. If you want something faster than a 4 cylinder, uses less gas, and pollutes less, then opt for the hybrid.

The V6 with the 6-speed auto should be good for about a 6 second 0-60mph time or less (the heavier Avalon with the same engine and a 5 speed auto did 6.0s flat, C&D). The hybrid should see around 8.5s.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I feel like the Hybrid will be quicker than that- the last generation 190 horse 5A Camry V6- weighing 3425 lbs... hit 60 in 7.6 seconds, according to Car and Driver.

This Hybrid uses a CVT with more combined power and torque, and while it does weigh 3600 lbs, I dont think its going to take an entire second longer. Toyota has claimed 8.9 seconds, I just don't buy it. (They also claim 6.5 to 60 for the 6A Camry V6, which likely is slow as well).

My guess for the Hybrid- 8.1 to 60.

~alpha
    Are any of these as fast as the Pruis? LOL

MidCow
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...I think the Camry Hybrid--unlike the Prius--will be far better accepted as a "regular" car. Because the gasoline engine already has decent performance, the Camry Hybrid won't feel flat footed on hard acceleration. :)

Also, the Camry Hybrid will share the excellent interior space of the regular Camry, too. :)
    Hi RayChuang00:

I may have read 10,000 posts about the Prius II from maybe 1,000 Prius II owners and remember just 3 or 4 that mentioned anything about it being underpowered. Does that mean 99.9% of its owners feel it is actually powerful enough and are enjoying their excellent FE given the price at the pump nowadays?

As for being accepted, I think the Prius II’s waiting lists speak for itself … The TCH will have the Accord I4 w/ Auto beat in both the performance and FE arena for most but it is to bad Toyota wasn’t shooting for what most hybrid owners actually seek. That is a spectacular increase in FE instead of simply beating the std. Accord from 0 - 60, using the Camry’s std. 2.4 L because it was an easier and less costly retool, or whatever criteria they were using in the design of the upcoming TCH :(

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    The additional tongue-in-cheek comments are entertaining as well as the review.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil1feb01,1,6114717- .story?ctrack=1&cset=true
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    Having actually driven both a first-generation Prius (my brother's car) and a second-generation Prius (my brother-in-law's car) I can say that the big problem with the Prius is that if you want good acceleration, you can forget about that idea! :( Live within the limits of the acceleration of the Prius and it's not that bad.

That's why I think the Camry Hybrid will sell--mostly because the acceleration is reasonably decent and especially because the shape of the car doesn't look like something out of a futuristic movie!
    Hi RayChuang00:

That is the difference between someone that owns one and someone who owns something else and drives one. When do you actually need more then a 14 second car to 60? In Europe you most certainly do not as many B-Class sized subs perform in that range. I am not that familiar w/ Asia but given some of the traffic tie ups I have seen inside of Viet Nam and some in China’s more popular areas, I am surprised anyone would need a 0 - 20 second automobile given you cannot move anyway! Here in the states, land of the infinite HP want vs. need, there are 18-wheelers in every city in America with far less performance then 15 seconds to 60 and they merge onto highways and accelerate from lights just fine. This HP and performance at the expense of FE game has become idiotic no matter what the performance of said automobile is. The Prius II’s are plenty fast enough and those that own them praise them like no other automobile they have ever owned from my reads. I am not saying the Prius II is god’s gift as it has many quirks and I may actually be its worst critic but it has proven itself to be a well designed automobile in a number of areas. I only wish the rest of the auto manufactures would/could follow given the Prius II’s FE capabilities …

The TCH’s HSD was partially lifted from the Prius/RXh/HH. I would suspect it will perform admirably and be dependable for many years to come. The TCH’s performance numbers released to date are in line with the best of the I4 equipped family sedans, the FE (EPA and real world depending on driver) blows all out of them out of the water, and we only need to wait for pricing details to know if it will be the hit we are all suspecting it will be. The wife needs a replacement for the MDX and damned if I will ever let her purchase another fuel sucking pig no matter what her wants are. The TCH may be that vehicle but even its seemingly high 43/36 numbers are a bit of a disappointment knowing full well what it could have been worth if saddled with an Atkinsonized 1.8 out of the Corolla to the tune of 0 - 60 in 10 + instead of 9 - … FE will/is becoming far more important then 0 - 60 and the TCH has been tuned to play the performance game in some regards instead of offering its owners what will really matter over the next 5 - 10 years. That being even higher FE …

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    In two paragraphs you have summarized the LA Times article and confirmed exactly what Toyota has been expecting since the initial Prius came out in 2001.

OTOH I fall in the frugal ( read cheap ) category and while I love the Camry as a vehicle I opted for the Prius last year because it would likely be $4000 less money and it actually does get 20-30% better FE than the new TCH will. I dont need the acceleration at all and it's usually jut me in it 90+% of the time.
    The TCH may be that vehicle but even its seemingly high 43/36 numbers are a bit of a disappointment knowing full well what it could have been worth if saddled with an Atkinsonized 1.8 out of the Corolla to the tune of 0 - 60 in 10 + instead of 9 - ..

Wayne, I'm fairly certain that the process has not been completed. The strategy by Toyota has been nothing if not methodical and well-thought-out.
    Attract attention - Gen1 Prius
    Attract early adopters - Gen2 Prius ( roaring success )
    Show the system's performance capabilities - 400h, HH ( the market speaks: 'Ho-hum')
    Go mainstream in the most common auto on the road - TCH (a huge success likely )

then..

Sienna, RAV, Corolla, Tundra.

What if the new Corolla next year didnt even have an ICE option. It's highly unlikely for a lot of reasons but it would be dramatic. In view of the excellent new Civic I dont see Toyota coming along with some ho-hum minor update.

Also in the strategy to keep the individual models unique in order to appeal to distinct buyers IMO they shouldnt blend into one another. Driven to use its best capabilities the TCH will allow drivers to attain FE in the low 40's. This allows the new Corolla to hit the high 40's then followed by the Gen3 Prius in the ....?

Methodical. Boring ;) . Successful :D .
    Hi Kdhspyder:

I hear you loud and clear ;)

I hate seeing the manufacturers (Toyota) allowing their B efforts to prosper instead of their full-on A-Game no matter what their longer term plans are … The next gen HSD equipped Corolla would make a hell of a FE platform (better then the Prius II in fact) but the wife hates the Corolla’s size and amenities. In fact, she barely tolerates the Accord’s amenities and it’s the EX-L w/ NAVI! She is the one that needs a dose of reality I am afraid but the TCH may be an excellent go-between … Notice I said may be? I will be waiting for the TCH’s pricing details and if they are out of line, the 08 Fusion HEV may actually be the car she owns next depending on its capabilities and equipment? I find the FEH’s EV mode to be a bit more robust then Toyota’s but its SoC and ICE-Off programming are a bit too rigid leaving it less capable then what it really could be. The Fusion HEV is being designed to work around those limitations from my inside line but that remains to be seen … Then again, I really dislike the plasticy (I know, not an actual word) looking dash’s in the Fusion right now :(

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Mr Gerdes, first, thanks for the informative posts. Second, allow me a minor quibble.

>>Owning V6’s w/today’s and worse yet, tomorrows gasoline prices is already a thing of the past. You have not yet realized this paradigm shift has already occurred."

The EPA mpg spread between the '07 C V6 & Hybrid is about 12mpg (real world, is probably closer to 10).

But let's use 12 mpg at $3/gal. At 12,000 miles per year, that's $32/month. A dollar a day. Millions of Americans spend more than that on their fancy cup of coffee. Most of us, for better or worse, don't give that kind of money much thought. Maybe we should.

At $4 gas, the cost hits about $1.40/day. Even at that, it'll need to go higher to separate most Americans from their gas guzzlers.
    Your math is correct and your analysis unfortunately is correct as well. But at some point we have to stop sending $1.00/day donations to the MidEast/OPEC.

It truly is beginning to change, I think everyone can sense it. Now it just has to be done. $400/yr x 20 Million drivers is $8 Billion kept here annually.

Maybe in the State of the Union after 'addiction to oil' if he said 'I challenge you the American people starting tomorrow to save $1 / day and keep $8 Billion dollars here in the US.'.... '... or I will find a way to keep it here'
    Hi Lzc:

The EPA mpg spread between the '07 C V6 & Hybrid is about 12mpg (real world, is probably closer to 10).

Camry V6: EPA rated 22/31 - 26.5 combined
    Camry I4 w/ HSD: EPA rated 43/36 - 39.5 combined

Do you know of anyone with a current gen 3.0 L V6 equipped Camry receiving the EPA? I believe the average - future TCH owner will see around 34 mpg. The average V6 owner might see in the low 20’s or worse with any kind of city commute? I am guessing however.

But let's use 12 mpg at $3/gal. At 12,000 miles per year, that's $32/month. A dollar a day. Millions of Americans spend more than that on their fancy cup of coffee. Most of us, for better or worse, don't give that kind of money much thought. Maybe we should.

At $4 gas, the cost hits about $1.40/day. Even at that, it'll need to go higher to separate most Americans from their gas guzzlers.

Cost: The V6 is supposed to cost more on the front end with the hybrid giving even more back on trade-in/resale. At least that is the way it has worked over the last 3 years with the Prius I, II, and HCH-I as gasoline prices have risen?

The less gasoline consumed, the less $’s going to a few particular countries we all know and love. Besides what that dollar/day outputs in terms of GHG and SMOG related emissions, adding to our absolutely abysmal balance of trade does not help matters either. I would prefer to place $300 - $500 per year in my pocket rather then somebody else’s if I had the choice. That is unless someone wanted the thrill of running WOT stoplight to stoplight or up to the bumper of the car in front of them. They may as well be driving the V6 in that case and receive 13 mpg … Well, that is what CR’s received in their city cycle with an V6 equipped XLE 2 years ago?

http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerreports/article/fuel_efficient_cars_category.html-

When all is said and done, if we had the choice between the 3.5 L V6 and its FE or the TCH and its FE for the ~ same price, which Camry would the average consumer choose? Given the vast majority already choose the less expensive I4 to save money on initial purchase and receive better FE, I have to believe that the same average consumer would pick the more fuel efficient TCH over and above the V6 if those were the only 2 choices offered. The real question will be how many average consumers will choose the non-hybrid I4 at maybe $3,000 - $5,000 less then the TCH once the discounts on the non-hybrids begin a few weeks to months after the initial release?

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Of course I agree with the 2 posts above about the need for Americans to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. My point was nothing more than that even a 10-12 mpg spread between conventional and hybrid engines does not today result in a cost difference that is significant to many Americans.

Do you know of anyone with a current gen 3.0 L V6 equipped Camry receiving the EPA?

Absolutely! I drive a '92 Camry V6 that dependably exceeds its 18-25 EPA rating. But then, I'm a conservative driver. My wife's '98 I4 Accord also exceeds it's 25-31 rating consistently.

Thanks for the interesting CR report on their mileage experiences. Only 2 mpg difference between the 4 and 6 cyl Accord. That's exactly what Camry estimates for its '07 models.

My hunch is that the hybrid will sell (not necessary list) for more than the V6. We shall see. In '74 & '75, when gas prices doubled, people were dumping near-new Lincolns and Caddys at practically any price, all to save a few dollars on gas. America's shortcomings in math are not recent. :)

I will probably be one of those who goes for the I4 Camry, never being one to stand in long lines or pay scalper prices for "must have tickets."

And good luck to you.

lzc, Oregon
    But at some point we have to stop sending $1.00/day donations to the MidEast/OPEC.

Based on averaging the real world mileage achieved in hybrid Camry reviews and combing that figure with my annual mileage, I end up saving about $320 over my 6 cylinder BMW 3 series.

The amount of $320 is equivalent to a year of weekly McDonalds meals. That $320 amount does not all go to unsavory oil producing countries. It also goes to Western oil companies and to more savory oil countries like Canada. So let us say about $125 dollars ends up in the pockets of inhabitants who are homicidally hostile to Danish cartoonists.

In other words if I continue driving my 6 cylinder car I am dontating the weekly equivalent of small fries and half a medium Coke to the Middle East. This miniscule amount is not going to alter the balance of power between Mideast countries and the Developed world.

So what am I trying to say? If you want to buy a car for political reasons then there are better fuel efficent alternatives than the hybrid Camry. And may I also add cheaper alternatives.
    Dewey,

You'll be proud of me, I am buying a small 2.2L 4 cylinder today and will drive my big ole gas hog V6 less.

Maybe goodbye as I cruise with the top down,

MidCow
    Based on dollars and sense that is one very wise decision.

I am beginning to have doubts about my own rationale in spending a premium for hybrid technology.

I will have to defer my hybrid Camry buying decision until I see an official price. But I have a strong hunch that the premium will be as hefty as prior Toyota/Lexus hybrid models.