Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    An HSD Corolla would like be expected to sell in the 35-60K range of units as a complement to the 350K units now sold as ICE's.

It's like the HSD Camry is expected to sell maybe 70-90K units at full production as a complement to other Camry's.

OTOH I think they will try to keep the Prius as a stand-alone vehicle in the 100K+ range.

Both the Corolla and Camry versions would likely attract those interested in hybrids but turned off by the uniqueness of the Prius.
  • Options
    mary99mary99 Member Posts: 65
    I've been thinking of getting the TCH in that light green (jasper pearl?) since it is only available on the hybrid. At least then not everyone on the block will have the same color Camry as me.

Then again, what do I care. I've been driving a Civic that for its first 5 years looked just like every other car on the road to me. Now it's looking older than most. :)
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    TCH in that light green (jasper pearl?)

I think I would like that color also. I will watch for it.
  • Options
    hardchemisthardchemist Member Posts: 61
    A car will always look bland if it is sold in large numbers. The boldest styled car will look bland once every other person in your neighborhood has that same car.

Well, not completely....There are already too many of those Chrysler 300's around, particularly here in Orlando - rental fleet capital USA - but when a nice clean example pulls next to me with a subtle tint on the windows and a nice set of rims (no, not the rediculous 21" ones) I still have to look.

And that '06 Hyundai Sonata looks good - even though EVERYONE is buying one. I admire them when I see one on the Turnpike. And I thought h3ll would freeze over before I ever said that a Hyandai looked okay.

Sooooo.... a TCH with the 17" 6-spoke SE rims, a medium tint on the windows, and preferably silver or that dark magnetic grey...now that will hold me over until 2010 when a VW Passat Hybrid Turbodiesel is available! ;)
  • Options
    anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    XLE vs Hybrid from Toyota.com spec sheets today

Hybrid doesn't have
    - multiadjustable power passenger seat
    - retractable rear windshade
    - digital quartz clock (presumably in multi-display instead)

Hybrid does have
    - VDIM standard instead of VSC optional on XLE
    - Smart Key/Push Button Start/Remote entry is standard instead of optional on the XLE
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Smartkey is not an option on the XLE 4 cyl.

Hybrid also loses:

. Alarm
    . Tachometer
    . Illum. Visor Mirrors and rear reading lights (unless you order the special moonroof option)
    . Wood Trim
    . Foglights
  • Options
    spectrabluespectrablue Member Posts: 28
    Trying to figure how much the base Hybrid will cost. Comparing standard features with an XLE 4-Cyl.

The hybrid comes with these standard features not found on the XLE-4:
    Smart Key ($450)
    VSC ($650)
    LED Tail lamps ($ ???)
    Acoustic Insulated Windshield ($ ???)

The XLE-4 comes with these standard features not found on the Hybrid:
    4-Way Power Passenger Seat ($ ???)
    Reclining Rear Seats ($ ???)
    Wood Trim ($ ???)
    Moonroof ($940)
    Heated Outside Mirrors ($ ???)
    Fog Lamps ($ ???)
    Rear Sunshade ($ ???)

So if you assume that the cost of features on the XLE such as fog lamps, sunshade, etc. offset the LED tail lamps, windshield, etc. features on the Hybrid you are left with the following...A Hybrid XLE-4 with Smart Key, VSC, but NOT a Sunroof.

So to figure price of a Hybrid you must take the MSRP of the XLE-4($24425) + Hybrid Synergy Drive($ ???) + Smart Key($450) + VSC($650) - Roof($940)

So estimating $2000 additional for HSD that puts the Hybrid at $26585. This is believable since I can't imagine they would price it more than an XLE-V6 ($27520). Remember the Camry Hybrid is not the fastest trim level, as in the Highlander/Lexus GS450h, so I don't believe it will be priced the highest. Just in terms of performance and efficiency comparing against an XLE-V6, most people that aren't already set on a Hybrid wont pay MORE for a Hybrid version the exact same car to get 21mpg more City & (only) 6mpg more Highway, when the V6 will SMOKE them in terms of acceleration.

Just my opinion, feel free to counter, but be nice...
  • Options
    I'm figuring $27,000-27,500 base MSRP which when Moonroof, heated seats and mirrors, leather and NAV are added brings it up to $30,750-31,250.

That compares to a similar Prius at $29,195 (w/HID's) and a Honda Accord Hybrid at $33,540 MSRP.

Accessories - floor mats, trunk mat, first aid kit, bodyside molding, wheel locks, mudguards, toyoguard, remote start, satellite radio, etc. pile on more $$$$$$$$.

Just my thoughts. If it is $30,000 w/o the NAV, I will probably go with the XLE as I can get that with everything except NAV for less than $25,000 and the Hybrids will be tough to buy under MSRP.

At $5,000+ difference, the hybrid doesn't make economic sense for me.
  • Options
    my contention since the beginning is that the TCH is an alternate to the V6. One with good FE one with good performance. Choose which you prefer. It's not comparable to the 4c that's a different bird.

IMO it will fall in the $26-27K range mainly due to supply reasons. There will be only 2-3 TCH's per store on average and why underprice them ( leave money on the table ) and have long waiting lists that antagonize buyers. Use the natural mechanism of pricing to filter out most buyers. I feel that they could sell this as low as $23K but they want it to appeal to a special segment of buyers as does the Prius.

I feel it will fall closer to $27K now in order to hold demand at bay. This would be for an LE trim. For an XLE trim hybrid w/ Navi it will likely fall close to $32500.
  • Options
    I thought the hybrid was its own trim level? Or did you just mean how loaded up you make it with options?

Not that it's worth anything but a couple dealers out here have told me they expect the hybrid to be $5000+ more than the XLE, or over $30,000. I think they're basing this on the premium that hybrid adds to the Highlander.
  • Options
    I think there will be a basic level ( like the LE ) at about $27K with a few options like a sunroof; then a dressed up level ( like the XLE ) with leather, sunroof, navi, etc which may come in around $32500.

If you the 'premium over...' process then you have calculate it as the 'premium over the 4c LE' which lists for $21350.. which comes back to ~ $27000 for the standard version TCH.
  • Options
    You're wrong in your thoughts but you are entitled to them.

Read the options list for the Hybrid!!!

Read the features of the Hybrid!!!
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    has anyone done a study on the time it will take to recoup it's cost, over the cheaper, 4-cyl gas model (XLE)?

DrFill
  • Options
    has anyone done a study on the time it will take to recoup it's cost, over the cheaper, 4-cyl gas model (XLE)?

Some posters think that is an unfair comparison. I think it is the obvious one. If the TCH wanders up into the $27k- $30k range is there any reason to buy one?

I can buy the XLE 4C with leather and moonroof for under $23k. What will the equally equipped TCH cost? And it is SULEV II with a 9.5 CA EPA rating. Same as the Prius.
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    It's too early to know how long it will take to reach payback, if ever, when buying the TCH.

1. What will the actual OTD price differential be? We won't know until the model goes on sale. So far, hybrids typically sell at full sticker and above; non-hybrids rarely do.

2. Will buyers be able to get the full tax credit? Early buyers might; later buyers likely won't.

3. What will the price of gas be over the period to be compared? Payback at $3+ will be much quicker then if gas settles around $2.

4. Just what do those replacement batteries cost? No one seems to know for sure. If it's $3,000 at 100k, that's 3 cents per mile, which alone eliminates the gas savings.

The general consensus is that one ought not by a hybrid expecting to recoup the costs. Other considerations need to matter more.
  • Options
    Well I havent been wrong on the pricing on any of the new trim levels yet -within a few hundred dollars ( posts beginning back in Dec )- so I will stay with $27K-ish and $31K-ish.

But I'd be interested in your specific view of where the prices will fall.

I have the options at hand and show them to customers frequently. I'm comfortable with these two price levels.
  • Options
    Stirring the waters to generate posts are we Doc? Actually since the TCH has V6 power and better FE the correct comparo should be with the ICE V6 + EJ... lets see where that leads us.

XLE 4c lists for ~$25060 ( No VSC/Trac ) or about $25700 with VSC/Trac.

IMO the base trim TCH will come in about $1000 higher or about $26700 with VDIM standard but also with SKS and 190 hp. So is 'payback' even a consideration. Buyers normally pay $2000 additional for V6 power over 4c power all the time and they lose fuel economy on every mile they drive in doing so.
  • Options
    That's how much I said yesterday about 8 posts ago.
  • Options
    Well I guess we are in agreement then since mine #263 said $27K and 32.5K ... although your #264 said I was wrong for some reason.

I guess it was a misunderstanding..
  • Options
    My only problem with your post was the basic level and the dressed up level comment.

According to the brochure, there is just one hybrid model and options to that one model.

$27K with no options, $30k with leather, heated seats and moonroof, and $31.2k adding NAV.

So we're close!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Although the TCH will cost what it costs, here are prices fresh off the Toyota vehicle seach for a V6 XLE with all options, including leather, navigation, and moonroof:

Model: XLE V6 Sedan (6 Speed Automatic)
    Model Year: 2007
    Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic
    VIN: XXXXXXXXXXX13H470
    Color: Magnetic Gray
    Interior: Bisque Leather
    Available: 04/05/06
    Dealer Name: Phillips Toyota
    Dealer Phone: 352-728-2030

Base:
    $27,520
    Options:
    $2,530
    Manuf. Delv, Proc & Hndlg:
    $635

Total:
    $30,685

Options broken down:
    Fuel Surcharge:
    $23
    Navigation w/ JBL Premium Audio 4-Disc-NVAT:
    $1,200
    Smart Key System w/ Push Button Start-SKAT:
    $450
    Carpet Mats and Trunk Mats-PV50:
    $199
    Rear Lip Spoiler-CX10:
    $399
    Window Tint-TW50:
    $259

So I can't think a loaded Hybrid could cost more than this! What do y'all think?
  • Options
    Yes, it can be priced higher.

Why? Because they can!!!!

Compare Hybrid to Hybrid!!

A similar equipped Prius is $29,195 and an Accord Hybrid is $33,540.

Expect $31-32k with less than $1k max. off MSRP.

Supply and Demand Rule!!!!!
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Supply and Demand rules! You bet. Unfortunately the supply and demand rules for the upcoming hybrid Camry may resemble the rules of the hybrid Accord/hybrid Highlander more closely than the Prius. The success of the Prius is because it is a one of a kind car that is distinct from non-hybrids. That certainly does not apply to the hybrid versions of Camry, Accord or the Highlander.

A hybrid Camry priced in the 30k range will share the same fate as a hybrid Accord: A low volume lacklustre seller. People will flock instead to the fuel efficeint low priced i4 Camry instead.
  • Options
    Toyota knows that and that is why the Hybrid supply will be limited!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    jeez, okay okay!!
    But check this out - my neighbor down the road just purchased a new Prius, but didn't go to the closest Toyota dealership (name not mentioned in this post) because the closest wanted to add an extra few $K on top of the MSRP.

After my neighbor did some research he found a different dealer a bit farther away who has a policy of NOT adding to the MSRP for hybrids. He told me the story so I'm avoiding my local dealer like the plague.

So my point is, I'll be paying MSRP (but not less) because of the particular dealer I'm working with. But just to be sure, I'm on a waiting list, and I put $1000 down. So I'm pretty certain that I'll be paying around what I posted previously for the V6XLE. If you can poke any holes in my logic then go for it.
  • Options
    Limited supply is not consistent with Toyota's ambitious hybrid goals? Every Toyota press release so far indicates that they want hybrids to be anything but low volume niche vehicles.

Based on Toyota's experience with the hybrid highlander, I think Toyota is going to sacrifice some margins in order to make the hybrid Camry a sales success. Limited supply is a wonderful concept when you are located in Marenello Italy manufacturing Ferraris, but certainly not in Toyota City Japan.
  • Options
    I think you will have two options. For the typical V6 Toyota buyer you can get one in the $27K range. Loaded up like the one above leather, navi, etc. it will likely be in the $32K. The choice is the buyer's. The problem with the HH and the HAH is that there is no choice and this is the killer.

I will guess that the cloth version outsells the leather version 3/1.

This is just a different trim level in the Camry line. It's not a stand alone vehicle like the Prius. initial production is about 4000 units a month ( from Japan ) then 4000 a month from KY. At full production it's 5 units per store on average. I can see 4 cloth versions and 1 leather version typically being sold.
  • Options
    Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 9:21 AM
    Daniel Howes
    Wake me up, please
    Just spent a few days driving a prototype of the all-new Toyota Camry hybrid, a lime green one my 14-year-old couldn't stop dissing. Neither could I if the object of my derision was to tell anyone who cares just how positively dull the whole experience was. Oh, I get the potential importance of hybrids -- how they're becoming an important part of the fleet, how they're one response to the rising price of oil, how Toyota and Honda have won the early rounds of this bout, how Detroit is only now getting in the ring. But, Lord, the behind-the-wheel experience of these things (unlike a clean Euro-diesel) is downright sleepy. This is slow writ large; there's a top-heavy, even wobbly, feeling going around corners. My guess is the production models will feel tighter. Don't know there's much they can do about the sluggishness --

http://info.detnews.com/autosblog/index.cfm
  • Options
    I'm hoping his Detroit News affiliation means he's biased. Then again, I like dull in a car. If I wanted exciting Camry wouldn't be in the running.

I just drove a 4-cyl 2007 XLE and LOVED it. I am ready to order a hybrid now. I drove it right after driving an Accord Hybrid and it was hands down better in most respects, for my purposes. My husband, who also drove both, gave it 'clear winner' status, too.

FINALLY, the salesman seemed mostly knowledgeable. He said he could contract with me for the TCH now at about the price (MSRP) of a 6-cyl XLE and that they will definately have the first ones in mid-May. In this market, Priuses are selling over MSRP, I believe, so it sounded fair to me.

You experts- He thought the TCH would have the pass-through thing to the trunk. I thought it had the fold-down seats. Do you know?
  • Options
    60/40 fold-down.

Can't anybody read the specs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know how useful it will be with the batteries taking up 1/3 of the front of the trunk.

Salesman don't know a thing.
  • Options
    Can you show me where in the specs it says 60/40 fold down? I've got them in front of me, printed today from toyota.com, and I do not see that. Though I did see the pictures of it. What I wondered was if it also had a pass-through. I suppose that'd be asking a bit much, though.
  • Options
    toyota.com, camry, click on the Hybrid model car on the right side (it will load a pdf feature page), go to page 2 (which is the Hybrid), Interior, 2nd from bottom feaure on left hand side. I just did it again to make sure.

It was also on the Hybrid Preliminary Standard Features Sheet that came out about a month ago.
  • Options
    Oops, so it is! I'm new here. Is that the typical response- Read the specs, dummy!!!!!!!
    :P
  • Options
    No Mary, njerald just seems a bit, um, expressive shall we say. Most of us are a bit more subtle in our responses.

I read also at toyota.com that the seats are indeed fold-down. And despite people wailing about a reduction in the number of cubic feet of said trunk, many reviews indicate that there is still plenty of space in the trunk.

Oh and that review from DetroitNews? Hogwash. I believe sources like Motor Trend (April 06). Here's what they have to say about the Camry Hybrid: "What gives the Camry our nod is its consistend 30-MPG-plus mileage without the Accord's $30,000-plus asking price. Toyota's extraction of true V-6 performance from a pedestrian-size inline-four simply upstages Honda's [hybrid] transformation of a sweet 3.0-liter V-6 into an admittedly swaggering one." Oh, and MT did record a 0-60 time of 7.9 with the Camry....
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Don't want to make this a hybrid versus diesel or anything thread but...

He must not have driven the Accord Hybrid. Far better car to drive, around corners, than anything that Detroit has to offer. And it is likely lighter than many of its competitors. So much for assumptions.

BTW, Civic Hybrid isn't fast but it is no slower than Jetta TDI (using CR numbers that apparently reflects more typical driving). So much for slow and heavy things.

As for Camry Hybrid, expecting sport sedan performance from it is a bit too much. It is what it has been... a fine, refined family sedan, that gets the job done, and this time with 30 mpg or better.
  • Options
    Thanks for the article, but if this writer has such strong negative opinions about the hybrid Camry then why does he not back them up with facts. Where are his specs like gas mileage, 0 to 60, body Roll?

Apparently this writer is afraid to show the specs. Why?
  • Options
    It is what it has been... a fine, refined family sedan, that gets the job done, and this time with 30 mpg or better.

I think it will have to deliver high 30s combined mileage to be a hit. You can get 30 MPG combined with the 4C. I did not mind driving the rental 4C Camry. I liked it better than the Sebring & Stratus rentals.
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Dewey,

Some peopel like dull cars. Those that have no sterring fell,are quiet , and completley isolated you from the road. Toyotas, Lexus, Rolls Royce, Bentley's, Buicks come to mind.

There is nothing wrong with the isolation if that is what you want.

Apparently the Detroit writer likes sport cars or at least those that require some driver input and and provide some dirver feedback like most European cars: examples BMW and Mercedes. Just because he likes or dislikes isolation doesn't mena the quiet, dull Camry will not sell; it will sell like hotcakes.

However, I would recommend that the Prius watch out, I think the Camry and otheru pcoming 'Yota hybrids will canibalize the Prius sales. It is great when there is internal competition, the consumer wins.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • Options
    I never got 30 mpg with Camry I-4, close to 23-24 mpg in city. I actually averaged 29 mpg with my lead footed driving (100% highway)... this is from my recent experience with a rental Camry over 3000 miles. And I won’t go on comparing what I could get in city driving to what I could get on highway. Most of my driving is in city.
  • Options
    We drove around the southern part of Vancouver Island in a 2005 Camry. Clocking 900+ miles in a week and averaged 27.2 MPG US. Gas was $1.04 per liter Canadian. I think if we did more highway vs city the average would be close to 30 MPG. This car had less than 3000 KM on the ODO. Also we seldom went over the posted 90 KMH speed limit.
  • Options
    And you're assuming that Camry Hybrid would get only 30 mpg or slightly more under the same driving conditions. Right?

It will be a lot easier to get 40 mpg in Camry hybrid, than it would be in a Camry I-4. Would you agree?
  • Options
    It will be a lot easier to get 40 mpg in Camry hybrid, than it would be in a Camry I-4. Would you agree?

I would sure think so.
  • Options
    Thats a good start. ;)
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It will be a lot easier to get 40 mpg in Camry hybrid, than it would be in a Camry I-4. Would you agree?"

The Camry Hybrid I4 is less capable than the ICE Camry I4. If the Camry is driven really hard under the wrong circumstances (for example, short trips in the city, or driving the engine hard), it could well deliver mileage similar to the ICE only I4. In general, with conservative driving, I think it will have better city MPG but may have similar (or only slightly better) highway MPG to the ICE only. Time will tell.

However, larger and heavier vehicles are more subject to penalities of driving a hybrid the wrong way.
  • Options
    So, you would say that it will be easier to get 40 mpg on Camry I-4 than on the hybrid. True?
  • Options
    newt5newt5 Member Posts: 15
    I can buy the XLE 4C with leather and moonroof for under $23k. What will the equally equipped TCH cost? And it is SULEV II with a 9.5 CA EPA rating. Same as the Prius.

Yes, but you wont have 190+HP. If that's ok with you, get the XLE 4C.
  • Options
    newt5newt5 Member Posts: 15
    Some peopel like dull cars. Those that have no sterring fell,are quiet , and completley isolated you from the road. Toyotas, Lexus, Rolls Royce, Bentley's, Buicks come to mind.

Apparently you haven't actually driven a Bentley recently, such as the Bentley Continental GT. Anyone who has wouldn't describe it as boring.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "So, you would say that it will be easier to get 40 mpg on Camry I-4 than on the hybrid. True?"

Oh certainly, but with a car that heavy, it will take careful, hybrid-aware driving habits.
  • Options
    jtdpxjtdpx Member Posts: 19
    There 2 or 3 internet sources that are saying the warranty on the hybrid components on the new 2007 Camry hybrid is 15 years/150,000 miles for the state of California and other states that have CA emissions requirements. However, there is some evidence that may be wrong, and it will be the same as the Prius, i.e., 8 yrs./100,000 miles. Anybody have any info on this?
  • Options
    Regardless of the weight penalty, you do agree with me that hybrids offer greater flexibility to achieve impressive fuel economy.