Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I just don't understand the supply-demand gap.

I think two things. Biggest is CA offers HOV privilege not offered in most states. Second snow is a problem with the Prius as it is sold. I understand if you put snow tires on they are pretty good in snow. Also, cold temps take a big bite out of the FE.

PS
    It would pay you to shop online. There are deals and you could have a vacation driving your new Prius from where ever you bought it.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    We ordered an '06 Prius, package #6, on March 25th and it was delivered on April 12th. Paid $1300 less than MSRP and got Kelly Blue Book for our trade-in, so I was happy with the deal. Miller Toyota, Manassas, Virginia. I checked their online inventory this morning ... not one Prius listed, but I'm sure they'll be getting more in.

Hybrids (especially the Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid) are extremely popular in Northern Virginia, since they are allowed in the HOV lanes.
  • peteski1peteski1 Member Posts: 5
    What is offered as far as service agreements for basic maintenance, etc. I'm not planning on an extended warranty or anything rash, but what are people paying for the basic service agreement? Is this something I can get after purchase, when I get the car from PA back home in western MA? Any other agreements, etc that the dealer will try to get me to get when I pick up my new Prius?
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Member Posts: 125
    Where are you located in California?
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    Now did you get Kelly excellent or good..there is about a $1200 difference in many late models! Would you be so kind as to tell us about your trade and its mileage!!
  • blkmambablkmamba Member Posts: 2
    Our Black Prius is supposed to be here tomorrow. We ordered 3 weeks ago. (Philadelphia area) We are buying at 500$ a month. We are trading in and breaking our lease for a 2005 Pathfinder. My husband and I debated over the $500 a month, but we figured we wouldbreak even or save$$$ by the time we added in the cost of gas. We are paying 750$ :cry: a month in just gas (he drives alot with his job) plus 438$ for the lease. Hopefully we will save $$$$$. Tara
  • dzdncnfzddzdncnfzd Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone purchased a Prius in the Chicago area recently? What are they selling for and how long do they take to come in?
  • hsirvinhsirvin Member Posts: 2
    Hello peteski1-
    Would you mind telling me which dealership in the Northeast gave you the price under MSRP? I am in Boston & I've found they are sticking to MSRP. One place in Maine said they'd give me $200 below, but that's not worth it for the 2 hours up & 2 hours back. Thanks!
    Holly
  • wlbarnsonwlbarnson Member Posts: 3
    Been looking at the 06 Prius for a few weeks now, and have my name on a waiting list. Should be 2 weeks or less. My question is, I have been quoted from $2200 to $1699 for the 100,000 mile warranty here in California. What have others paid for the same warranty? Did your dealer negotiate on the price of the warranty?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The answer is less than $1000. I cannot give you a direct link to this because of site rules, but if you do an Internet search for the Prius warranty, you will be lead to the source.

There is a dealer in the Northeast who sells the factory extended warranty for $995. I also believe it is essential to have the extended warranty because of the complexity of this car, but do keep in mind you can acquire it any time before the 3 yr basic warranty expires, and from any authorized dealer in the country. This guy sells them by the boatload, and the dealership makes out on volume.

Most dealers consider the warranty a serious profit-center item; do not buy until you've done some shopping around.
    My dealer in Salem,New Hampshire quoted me $875 for the warranty...no deduct..Platinum !! I think it was 6 yr...75 k but it might have been the 100k..I will buy it after 1st yr.You can purchase it via credit card at any USA Toyota dealer. :D
    I did not think I could give you dealer..it is Rockingham Toyota in Salem,New Hampshire
    "Now did you get Kelly excellent or good..there is about a $1200 difference in many late models! Would you be so kind as to tell us about your trade and its mileage!!"

Got Kelley good - traded in a 2004 Honda CRV EX with 22K miles. I would have liked to get more, but it was quick, convenient, and I was happy with the deal. And we're just delighted with the Prius.
    It appears to me that in that mode;you actually did pay MSRP...figuring the CRV was in great shape(They could have given you excellent ) I bought a pack 3 Prius at MSRP traded in a 2005 element with 12,400 miles...I got excellent because the dealer also has a Honda store and he will sell it as Honda Certified....only paid $95 doc fees.
  • cooljwcooljw Member Posts: 47
    I'm in San Diego.

Considered going out of state to buy a Prius but decided against it due to: the hassle, and uncertainty whether or not I would still be eligible for the CARB extended warranty. (wouldn't want to lose a free 150k mile/10yr warranty on the emissions and hybrid battery)
    Like I said, I was, and remain, happy with the deal. I had been looking to get rid of the CR-V since my first botched oil change at the dealer, and I wasn't going to quibble over "good" vs. "excellent" - I was happy to get more for it than I still owed on it. I'm sure if I shopped around enough I could have gotten a better deal, but I'm happy.
    Some things that relate to in state/out of state purchases:

1. You do not get the additional CARB protection for a purchase out of California unless you purchase from a CARB state. I believe most of the others are in the New England area.

2.I don't think an out of state vehicle with out of state plates will qualify for the Hybrid HOV sticker. It would have to be reregistered in California to qualify.

3.A factor that can play into bottom line cost is the issue of trade ins. In California, if you traded in a $15,000 vehicle on a $25,000 Prius, you still pay the sales tax on the full $25,000. In Nevada and some other states, your sales tax is computed on the difference between trade in and new vehicle purchase, in this case, for $10,000.

4. If you aimed at purchasing a used recent vintage Prius, Nevada is the choice of state because they recently enacted legislation that eliminates sales taxes on used vehicles that are sold and bought privately. However, the bad news is that the Federal Tax Credit is available only to the original purchaser of the vehicle, so you would lose that in the process.

We bought our 2006 Prius on the internet in the Sacramento area for about $600 under MSRP. The name of the game is to find a dealer that is not in a major city or an affluent county.
    Holly- I got it from Champion Toyota in Philly. Also has an offer below MSRP from Central City Toyota. It was ordered Monday- can't wait to get it!

Peteski1
  • hsirvinhsirvin Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the Philly & Central City info, Peteski1!
    Best wishes with your beautiful new car!
    Holy
  • bookiebobbookiebob Member Posts: 3
    HELLO. WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO GIVE ME LEASE FIGURES??
    A '06 PRIUS WITH A $23,232 PRICE TAG, 48 MONTH LEASE AND WITH NO MONEY DOWN. I HAVE AN 800 CREDIT SCORE. WHAT WOULD THE MONTHLY PAYMENTS BE,ALSO, AND WHAT SHOULD THE RESIDUAL VALUE BE AT THE END OF THE LEASE? WHAT WOULD BE THE LEASE/MONEY FACTOR?

ALSO, WHAT IS THE EXACT DOLLAR AMOUNT THAT WOULD BE FINANCED DURING THE TERM OF THE LEASE?
    IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT BASED ON THE ABOVE CAR INFO, THAT IF THE ABOVE CAR HAD A RESIDUAL OF $11,000 AFTER 48 MONTHS, MY ACTUAL FINANCING AMOUNT WOULD BE $12,232, PLUS INTEREST. IS THIS TRUE? OR IS THERE ANOTHER FORMULA THAT'S BEING USED??

IT'S APPEARS THAT SOME OF THE FIGURES I HAVE BEEN GETTING HAS ME PAYING MORE INTEREST ON A 4 YEAR LEASE THAN INTEREST ON A 4 YEAR PURCHASE. I'M STILL SCRATCHING MY HEAD ON THAT ONE!!!

AND IF I MAY, WHO ACTUALLY OWNS THE CAR/LEASE?? THE LEASING COMPANY OR THE DEALERSHIP?? WHO GET'S TO KEEP THE MONTHLY CHECK?? IF THE LEASING COMPANY OWNS THE CAR, AT WHAT RATE COMPARED TO MSRP DO THEY PAY FOR THE CAR?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

BOOKIEBOB
    Please do not use all capitals...it is the equal of you shouting !!!!
  • magsenmagsen Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and Priusland. I want to sell my 2004 Nissan Quest (only 15K miles) and buy a Prius. My ex-husband (disparaging, but is he right?) says I will not find any Prius for under 28K now w/ the new 5K jack ups dealers are doing. We live on the westside of L.A. and he went into a dealership in Santa Monica...and my thought is OF COURSE they are jacking things up 5K in SM...but IS this universal now??? Is it impossible w/the supply problems to get one under 28K? Does anyone have recommendations re: dealerships that ARE NOT doing this, in So. Cal? I'd be fine w/ travelling a a couple hours, esp north up to Ventura or beyond, or east on the 10. Also, can people explain some of the Prius perks, including those you abbreviate about on the board..? I get the tax refund thing, but not "HOA"? or "CARB" etc. I have heard you get to use car pool lane alone, and not put money in meters too?? Myth or truth? Also, does it still seem the gov't refund thing will give out in Sept '06 at the 60K sold mark, or sooner?

THANKS a lot in advance!
  • priusguypriusguy Member Posts: 12
    About 29k out the door including 3% Va tax, 100k Toy Plat warr, 55k prepaid maint less 21k ti and 3.2k tax credit (unless amt tax bites me). My trade (05 pkg 6) had 24.4k miles and just been repaired from cedk (close encounter of deer kind -- $5k "ouch").
  • rafael2rafael2 Member Posts: 20
    Hi every one thats for your imput on the matter.
    I live in MA as well and I actually geting my 2006 Prius Package #4(HG)options:
    Z1=CargoMats,CargoNet,Front & Back, Emergency Kit Carpet .............................MSRP=$264 $169Invoice(Kbb.com)
    WL=wheel lock, =$59 =$37
    EF=BumperProtection =$65 =$42
    So, defirienciate: the MSRP=$24,518 -Invoice=$22,353 =$2,165 NOW, Kelly-Blue-Book (KBB.com)says that Market Value is $25,706 avg.National, So, I suppose to be saving $1,188? :lemon: I'm thinking that $24,518 (no Tax,ect..) is to much money to pay for this car but in my situation it may not be.
    My thinking... I have a Honda Odyssey EX that my wife and I love, I race any compact car with it and I dont feel that socker mom that a man driving a minivan supose to feel (bla ,bla,bla) I feel great and competitive on my minivan because it performs well. Now, I spend $20 on gas every other day and then some more for the weekend, thats about $350 a month. With the Prius and adjusting my live style we can spend about $160 in gas Saving about $190 that can go for the higher Monthly payment of this car! NOw, My Odyssey is from 2001 and 5years old... repairs will come soon, Maybe not this year but it will come much sooner than the Prius. So, im saving on repair and higher maintanance cost as well... So I think.
    This is the first time im buying a new car and at this high price. My Buying experience is clouded with what ifs. If I buy a Civic or Corrola for $15k I save $10k vs Prius...but not really. None of this cars offer that the dam Prius offers and so I pay more. I'm sure that If I can make the Payments and keep a Gap insurance handy I be Fine.
    I spend over 6hours Test driving the car and It grew on my.
    I think Im still paying 2much money but I will Lip into the abyss because I will only live Once... :-) so they say. :shades: Also, here in MA its $3,150 tax credit and possibly no TAX (it proposee and needs to be approved), the Speed Pass(EZ-Pass) equitment installation is wave, and few other little perks. I think its better than the Camry deal. :shades:
  • rafael2rafael2 Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone and my thanks for your input on the matter.
    I live in MA as well and I actually getting my 2006 Prius Package #4(HG)options: Z1=CargoMats,CargoNet,Front & Back, Emergency Kit Carpet MSRP=$264 $169Invoice(Kbb.com)
    WL=wheel lock,=$59 =$37 EF=BumperProtection =$65 =$42
    So, substract: the MSRP=$24,518 -Invoice=$22,353 =$2,165 and the dealer dont want to negociate the in the $2,165 range. NOW, Kelly-Blue-Book (KBB.com)says that Market Value is $25,706 avg.National, So, I suppose to be saving $1,188? :lemon: $24,518 (no Tax,ect..) is to much money to pay for this car but in my situation it may not be.
    I have a Honda Odyssey EX that my wife and I love, I race any compact car with it and I dont feel like a socker mom that a man driving a minivan supose to feel. I feel great and competitive on my minivan because it performs well.

Now, I spend $20 on gas every other day and then some more for the weekend, thats about $350 a month. With the Prius and adjusting my live style we can spend about $160 in gas Saving about $190 that can go for the higher Monthly payment of this car! NOw, My Odyssey is from 2001 and 5years old... repairs will come soon, Maybe not this year but it will come much sooner than the Prius. So, im saving on repair and higher maintanance cost as well... So, I think.

This is the first time im buying a new car and at this high price. My Buying experience is clouded with "what ifs". If I buy a Civic or Corrola for $15k I save $10k vs Prius...but not really. None of this cars offer as many features the Prius offers and so we pay more. I'm sure that If I can make the Payments and keep a good gap insurance handy I be Fine.

I spend over 6hours Test driving the car and It grew on me. I think Im still paying 2much money but I will lip into the abyss because I will only live Once... :-) so they say. :shades: Also, here in MA its up to $3,150 tax credit and possibly no TAX (it propose and needs to be approved), the Speed Pass(EZ-Pass) equipment installation fee is waved, and the state includes few other little perks. I think its better than the Camry deal. :shades: The is a lot of enthusiasm on this car and its my next toy... GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE and keep the posting YOUR Opinion.
    Interesting, rafael2. Haven't heard about the proposed no tax deal. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered (soon, please, for the love of god...) Does anyone have any info on interest rates for financing? Got 6.05% thru Capital One, but others have posted as low as 4.5% at their local credit unions. Not here in western MA, however. I did see AAA has a 5.99% rate...Thanks all!

Peteski1
  • gassaver1gassaver1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in MA, but they tried to sell me one with all the options, so I just said call me when you get one in that has the fewest options, and they did. It was available for 22,666 or something like that, but I am looking at one for 23,996 to actually buy. It took them about two weeks to get it in. They can do it, but I think if you would pay 30K for it they would like that better, so just say no, and they'll get you one.
  • suzeessuzees Member Posts: 22
    My friend ordered a pkg 4,'06 prius this last January. He signed the purchaser's agreement that he would pay $1000 less than the MSRP price. Well, the prius finally came in last week; he was notified by his salesman. But, the salesman also said that "someone made a mistake on the purchaser's agreement" and that now he needs to pay another $1000 (of what the MSRP was). Of course, my friend was upset. So, then the dealership said they'd split the difference (each pay $500). My friend declined the car....saying it wasn't due to the extra money, it was the principle of how the dealership handled the sale.

Such bad customer service -- where's the integrity?

This was a Fairfield, IA toyota dealership
  • hockeyfoolhockeyfool Member Posts: 30
    Peteski1: I recently got 5.8%/60 months going through Costco website - Need to be a member though. Costco uses Capital One, but you get an additional discount. Also, when I went in and bought my new car last week (06 civic ex sedan), the dealer offered to beat the rate and gave me 5.64% through Honda financial. So make sure you find the best deal you can before going in to close the deal and then let the dealer beat your rate.
    That's my plan, hockeyfool! Thanks,
    If you don't own your own home, it's a non-issue, but if you do, wouldn't you be money ahead taking out a home equity load for the purchase amount? Unlike the consumer auto loan, the interest accrued is all deductible.
  • echiuechiu Member Posts: 18
    Hi Car Man,

I have a new Prius coming in tomorrow (6/3). I am wondering what sort of lease rate (money factor and residual) I can get from Toyota on this car. I am thinking of leasing it for 3 years/36,000 miles. Also, do you know the cost per additional mile beyond 36,000?

Thanks,

-Eric
  • solwachtlersolwachtler Member Posts: 1
    I am from New York and there are several Toyota dealers in my region -- none seem to know when they will be restocked with the Prius. Have any of you any idea as to when orders will be taken on 2006 or 2007 models?
    AS OF 3/28/06

2006 Prius Production dates:

Initial Order Acceptance Month: 9/12/05

Initial Production Month: 11/05

Initial Delivery Month: 12/05

Final Order Due Month: 5/10/06

2007 Prius production dates:

Initial Order Acceptance Month: 6/12/06

Initial Production Month: 8/06

Initial Delivery Month: 10/06

If you want to see the build out dates for the entire
    Toyota line, you will find it at:

www.donlen.com/buildstart_Toyota.asp
  • ember75ember75 Member Posts: 2
    What dealership was it?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi Eric. As one might imagine with a car that gets great gas mileage in an environment with very high gas prices, Toyota is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the Prius. As a result, if you were to lease one through Toyota Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its current buy rate standard lease money factor by vary a little bit from area to area, but it should be around .00265 for any length lease for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. TFS' 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the '06 Prius was 57% the last time that I saw it. I believe that TFS charges something like $0.15 per mile over one's allowed mileage. If you opt to lease with 15,000 miles per year, your Prius' residual value would be 2% lower. You can purchase additional miles, over 15,000 per year, at lease signing at the reduced rate of $0.10.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • blumaleahblumaleah Member Posts: 2
    we just purchased a Prius in Freehold NJ - paid $200 above MSRP took us 3 months to get one (ours is white) with a package 3 (after a bunch of phone calls) - the interest rate we were quote was around 6 - and varied slightly on how much you put down.

Question - we ordered the extended warranty -- and the prepaid customer care - concerned about the hybrid and any problems and taking it anywhere for tuneups but a Totoya dealer -- do we need either one

I see that some people were able to get the extended warranty for less than the quoted $1895 price -- what dealers offer the discount and can you get it after teh fact
    trying to figure out if we should cancel them??? thanks!
    go out to rockinghamtnh.com :shades: and Rockingham Toyota in Salem,N H where I bought my prius has it for $900 call business dept and with a valid charge card they will sell it to you!!!!!
  • eprupiseprupis Member Posts: 30
    You can buy the warranty anytime the original warranty is still in effect. It can be purchased from a Toyota dealer in Massachusetts for $995----use google---you'll find it by a few well-chosen search parameters.
  • maryanna1maryanna1 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding interest rates... my credit union had rates as low as 5.15% advertised. With their super duper checking (balances over $15,000, but loan balances count) you save .25%, so I'll be paying 4.90%. Needless to say, I think I got a really good deal. My Barcelona Red #3 ought to be in my hands in a week or so... Yay! :D
    It's sort of a mixed bag. Credit union rates do look good compared to lots of other loans, but the trouble with all consumer loans is that the interest accrued is no longer tax deductible. If you have the collateral to support it,
    in many cases it is less expensive to use a home equity loan which does permit deducting the interest on the loan.
    BTW, isn't that Barcelona Red a nice color? It's tough to make red a class act but they certainly did succeed on this one.
  • maryanna1maryanna1 Member Posts: 2
    I do love the color... I was dithering between Barcelona Red and Silver Pine Mica - I love them both, but was going to be a much longer wait for the other. It's almost a candy apple red, but nicer.

I agree, a home equity loan can be the way to go, but I don't own a house, so that option was out for me. I'm pretty happy with my rate - I just can't wait to get the car. :D
    You're gonna love the car. It's actually a mid sized
    car inside even though it looks like a compact outside.
    Much more room than you would imagine.

My wife is a bug on visibility so we got white for a color.
    What's nice about the metallics on the Prius is how much depth they have.

Take your time on an extended warranty decision. You have up to three years to decide one way or the other.

And don't forget the great Fed tax credit that is available for the Prius. You should get in under the wire
    for the full credit without any problem.

There's a tremendous amount of information on this forum regarding the most effective driving techniques for best mileage etc. It's definitely worth the time surfing through them.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Every dealer I've visited has two or three Priuii on the lot. All will sell at MSRP and will deal (for less). One dealer I went to for a test drive offered $2500 less than MSRP. I think I may pass on this. In Canada we only have three option packages -
    "A" is "base" - about $31,500 Can. or around $28,350 US.
    "B" includes audio system, bluetooth, VSC, homelink and more - about $35,350 Can. or $31,815 US
    "C" includes everything above and adds nav. - about $38,700 Can. or $34,800 US. I thought it also added leather, but it's not mentioned on the on-line list.
    As you can see, the pricing is a bit high compared to the US pricing. In fact it looks like I can buy a Prius in the US and import it for less than $28,000 Can. (base model) including all taxes, inspection fees and duty and $1000 to cover airfare and hotels. That's about $5000 Can. less than offered here. So even with the quoted offer above, I can still save $2500 (his offer was on a "B" package as well, so it may not apply to a "base" model).

The same math applies to BMW cars, so it looks like there is too much money floating around here. Oil boom!
    Before you do this perhaps it would be productive to determine a few things:

1. Does Canada have an import duty that would eat into the
    spread?

2. Are there any Canadian DOT requirements that are not satisfied by CONUS DOT standards? For example, doesn't a
    Canadian vehicle now require the "always headlights on
    when driving" feature which is only an option on a lot of
    CONUS vehicles?

3. Is every feature of a CONUS Toyota warranty honored by
    Canadian Toyota repair facilities?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    All checked out and ok. In fact, most vehicles can be imported into Canada (ditto the other way as well). Some require minor modifications (not the Prius or BMWs). Duty was included into the pricing. Warranty would be ok. Do you think an American whose Prius breaks down in Canada would have to pay or have the vehicle towed back to the US? Warranties have been honored for years. I had a Subaru that broke down in Flagstaff and had it fixed under warranty there. I might purchase the extended warranty here though.
    Revenue Canada has a list of vehicles on the internet that can be imported. Certain vehicles can't, mainly ones that aren't sold here, such as certain Mitsubishi models, and even a Toyota or two (bumpers don't meet Canadian/world standards).

In fact we went though the entire process, acertaining which forms we would need etc. It's pretty simple. A few years ago it wasn't worth it, but now it is.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Sounds like Canada is similar to California. The dealers think they have a captive audience and stick to them. Maybe it is because the initials are the same CA. I rarely buy a vehicle here in California. Too many places willing to deal.
  • ggibson1ggibson1 Member Posts: 1
    The residual value I have seen on a 36 month lease in my area on a 2006 Prius with Package #8 and 12k annual miles is $13,200...well below 50% of the $29,000 purchase price. This is from more than one dealer.

The low residual is probably why the monthly lease rates are high. On the other hand, with the low residual, you may actually build a small amount of equity in the car if you flip at lease end...but you are buying this equity with the higher monthly fee.
  • brydgebrydge Member Posts: 6
    I've recently contacted about a dozen dealers in Virginia and am consistently seeing residual values for a 36-month, 12,000 mile lease on a 2006 Prius Package #8 around 48.5%. When I pressed the dealers about the large disconnect between this residual value and current 2-3 year old Prius's selling for 75%-85% of their original MSRP they didn't have an answer other than the canned, "Toyota sets the residual and market demand sets the resale price". To me, Toyota is saying their product isn't worth anything near current resale values. Assuming you have decent credit, the 48.5% residual puts the lease payments pretty close to financing an outright purchase; and if you purchase you can sell at anytime and get any equity out of the car, versus leasing and having to wait until the end of the lease term. I'm trying to find some leasing companies to talk to directly to see if they offer better terms than Toyota Motor Credit; does anyone have any suggestions?
  • hybridturtleghybridturtleg Member Posts: 5
    I have my eyes set on a Prius. I currently live in Boston but will be moving out to the Bay Area soon. I am wondering if I should purchase the Prius here or once I get out west...what do you think? My original plan was to wait until I got to the Bay Area, but after reading about people's purchase experiences, it looks as if I might get a better deal if I buy here...(Note: I currently drive a Mercury Mountaineer - great for getting my stuff across the country but not so good for mileage...). thanks.
This discussion has been closed.