Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs 2007 Toyota Camry

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited March 2014 in Acura
Lots of folks are comparing these two vehicles in many places in the Forums.

Has the new Camry stepped up beyond its previous class? Has it graduated to a league which includes the "Entry-Level Luxury" sedans? How does it compare with the TL specifically?

Let us know what you think!

Comments

• fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for the new thread. The mere fact that there is enough discussion to incur it's own thread lends credence to the fact that these two cars are being cross shopped. While it may not have been a goal of Toyota, and Acura is not overly concerned....the two vehicles do cross paths. More specifically, the SE V6 and XLE V6 can provide similar driving experience for less money than a comparably equipped TL. Since the TL only comes with the options for with or without Nav (summer tires are a no cost option, and the A-Spec puts it into a different class of car althogether) a fully optioned SE V6 is right there for thousands less.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I don't too many Acura shoppers are looking a Camrys also. I think most Acura buyers are looking to move up to a luxury brand and while the Camry may arguably represent a better value, it certainly doesn't have the cache of Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.

We'll never know the stats but my guess is that well under 10% of potential TL buyers will seriously consider a Camry and even fewer Camry buyers are considering a TL. But I'm sure this will be a lively discussion.
    There is a difference between those looking for certain things in a car at a certain price point and don't care about the cache of a hood ornament.

I was looking for a sporty sedan with all the bells and whistles for $35k or less. The TL fit the bill perfectly, but the Camry did it for $3.5k less. I agree that it isn't a large percentage, but definitely something one should take into account if the TL satisfies your automotive desires.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I think its like getting demoted from a SVP to VP-Acura owners who buys Camry.

I started out with a 94 Camry then I stepped up to a 99 Mazda Millennia and right now I have the 03 TLS.

I am looking to move into Lexus GS 350 when it comes out, the GS 300 does not have the punch I am looking for.

I saw the Camry last Saturday at the NYC Auto show and I actually liked it, but the "keeping up with the Jones" in
    me will not go for the Camry.
    Exactly my point: You are in the group of the gotta have the badge cache. I don't care what others think of my car, so I went with the Camry. I don't need my car to be expensive to prove I can afford it. If that were the case, I would be driving an S65, beacuse I love the car..can afford the car....but choose to use that money for bigger and better things. I also choose to invest in appreciating assets rather than sink money (including paying interest) on a depreciating asset. To each his own.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Funny thing is I just traded my Lexus LS400 for a 2007 Camry XLE V6. I got tired of the big parts and service bills, and the amount of depreciation on the Lexus is staggering. I also wanted something with better mileage.

I am thrilled with my Camry, even though I can afford a Mercedes I chose to be thrifty and I am proud of it. I don't even feel that I have moved down: more of a sideways move. The car is smooth, quiet, very powerful and well made. I did look at the Acuras, and Infinitis, BMW and Mercedes. Everything I like costs $50k and up. Got to thinking that nobody really sees me in the car, I am very comfortable driving the Camry, so why not? Camry has the room and power of the E class, or 5 series BMW, and all I do is drive highway. Why spend twice as much?

Camry has got me 31 mpg. And it moves.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    LOL!!!

funny stuff. :D
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    I guess there is a point in this discussion as many people cross-shop those vehicles. I think though that Camry is in the direct competition with Accord. TL IMO is a class higher, together and even more so with ES. Camry, again IMO, does not provide similar driving experience as an Accord not to mention TL. Toyota did a very good job on the interior of both ES and Camry, exterior stilling is also up, however it’s not even close to match Honda in driving experience, Camry and ES is still boring to drive. Increased power will defiantly help sales and might increase image, as many drivers more concerned with 0-60 numbers then any other performance characteristic. IMO Camry will defiantly step on the ES sales, as now it is the same car with a different badge.
    Bottom line is, if one enjoy driving and would like a luxury FWD vehicle, TL is the way to go. TL’s performance numbers are in the same league with smaller RWD G35 and IS, I doubt Camry is even close.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I had the opportunity to test drive the SE V6 the other day. Thought it was fine, less firm than TL which may be a plus on poor roads. Interior is nice, 6 speed auto, 268 HP and mp3 aux beat TL. Nav looks same. TL has better "cockpit feel".

I'd buy the SE if you could get it for $500 or so over Invoice, say $27,000, but MSRP was close to $30k, and they allotments are few so the dealer has leverage on price. 2 month wait for an order.
    Assumptions are bad things. The Camry in SE trim with the V6 is as good or better than the TL in 0-60 and slalom times. It is not boring to drive. I can only assume you have not experienced it first hand based upon your claims.
    I have not driven SE trim, and it might be better then LE, however I highly doubt that it’s close to TL. Camry might be fester 0-60, but so as V-8 Impala. Like I said many people live by 0-60 numbers, not me. TL has a much better feel to it, in Camry you just for a ride.

Assumptions are bad things??? So your following statement must be a fact not an assumption?? “The Camry in SE trim with the V6 is as good or better than the TL in 0-60 and slalom times.” Can you post a link or provide reference for this fact??
  • jls2jls2 Member Posts: 5
    I owned a TSX and for the most part, loved it. I had the sport package with ground effects kit all around, spoiler, fog lamps, chrome wheels, one great looking car. Problem is that it is just not powerful enough. So I really thought I would move up to the TL, and test drove a couple. Then I saw pics/specs/reviews of the new Camry and went to see it in person and had to have one. It looks great, has the power, very nice interior in the XLE. It is not quite as sporty feeling as the TL, but still very acceptable for a four door sedan since I am not looking for a true sports car ride or performance. In my opinion it does stand up to the TL now, but I can see why the TL fans would not want to admit it! Both great cars in my opinion, but especially for the money difference (approx $5k when comparably equipped) the 07 Camry V6 is a worthy competitor to the TL. And I do think people should drive them before forming an opinion on them on anything other than looks. Love my 07 XLE V6!
  • raven_sevenraven_seven Member Posts: 12
    I agree on the badge thing, but I also know plenty of people who still associate the name "Acura" with Integras, and don't consider Acura to be at the same level as Lexus, BMW or Mercedes.

That being said, I think the interior of the TL is made with materials of higher quality than that of the Camry. I like the Camry better overall though.
  • raven_sevenraven_seven Member Posts: 12
    I drove the TL and the 07 Camry XLE back-to-back and I can tell you that even the XLE felt better balanced than the TL did. Yes, the TL has a stiffer suspension, but it feels "very" front heavy in comparison. The Camry is also a bit lighter which makes it feel a bit more nimble and more responsive to throttle changes.

Bottom line, I felt more in control of the vehicle while driving the Camry.
    07 Camry (SE V6 performance numbers on page 81 of May R&T)

The performance numbers are out for 2007 Camry SE V6, 6AT.
    1/4 mile: 14.5@99.9 mph (5/06 R&T test)
    The '07 Camry SE V6 did 0.83g and 63.6 mph.

It was faster than '04 TL with 6MT
    1/4 mile: 14.8@96.6 mph (4/04 R&T test)
    The '04 Acura TL did 0.87g and 65.8 mph.

You must agree that the SE is right there with a TL and until you drive it in that trim, you should withhold judgement. I don't live by numbers, I go by the feel of a car, being an Auto-X enthusiast. I have driven many, many cars of all class segments and the TL and Camry SE V6 have very similar feels. The weight balance of the TL is a little better, but steering response and body roll are dead even, IMHO.
    You drove an XLE. It is not supposed to be sporty...it is the luxo level and is floaty liek an Avalon. It should feel more like a Lincoln than a Porsche. Drive the SE, it is stiffer by design without being so stiffened that it is uncomfortable.
  • faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Although I looked at the sportier luxury cars, I really like the cruising softness of my Camry XLE. It can never be a slalom racer, it is not meant to carve the hillsides. It is a family car. It has more room especially in the rear than the TL. A TL is meant for a younger demographic, or families with smaller children. Camry is for older folks like myself. For cummutes of 1 hour, which I do each way every day, the Camry XLE is perfect.
  • suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    I find it weird that you guys are able to discuss an Acura TL to a Toyota Camry!!??(Luxury car vs Family sedan???)Well in any case I would choose a TL hands down! The Camry is very bland, boring and yes I've test driven it and it was nice, but not as nice as the TL. Also, Camry XLE can go over the $30K mark which is entry-level luxury territory, and it aint no "Luxury car" what-so-ever, might as well buy an Avalon, now those are nice!

Suave Tequila
    Which trim/engine did you drive? Was it a 2007? You are entitled to your opinion, but if you think there is not reason to discuss the two in comparison, then I question your open mindedness.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I think the TL's styling is much more distinctive and exciting than the 07 Camry. I love Camrys, and the 07's stats are impressive, but its still a Camry, which is OK if you're into that look. We're comparing an 07 design to an 04 design, so when the TL (and Accord) gets it's redesign the bar will be raised and separate the 2 vehicles even more than they are now.
    I’m not about to change your mind and I like Camry too, just for a different reason. It’s not as boring to drive as the old one but still boring. I will still try SE trim, but by looking at the numbers you posted it’s no match. I had no doubt that Camry is a bit faster as it has more power and it’s lighter, but look at the other stats you posted: 0.83g and 63.6 mph this is not in the same league with TL. I know .05 is a small number but it’s a huge difference in a real world and even average driver will feel it; and more then 2 sec slower. Again accept acceleration, all numbers you posted are not even in Accord’s territory. While typing I decided to check if Edmunds had any road test done for Camry, guess what I found? 2002 Premium Family Sedan Comparison Test, Toyota Camry SE V6, slalom 63.8MPH, which is even better then the new one. I know, the track must be different and so is the temperature, but still. The new Camry however has a much more power, and so if everything else is equal it should be faster. Does that make new Camry even softer then the old one? I’m confused.
    I do agree with you that you should go by what you feel, however in order to understand each vehicle you need to spend time in each; 1 hour test drive will not do it. That is why it is useful to look at the numbers, more information you have better your decision will be.
    Do not get me wrong those numbers are more then adequate for the average, family sedan, buyer; average buyer will probably not even look at those numbers. But let’s be true to ourselves, when it comes to handling and road feel TL is much better.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Well, here is the thing, consumers can cross-shop any two cars (or more) if they wanted to. Despite these two cars being cross-shopped by some, the majority of buyers would still cross-shop a Camry with Honda (Accord), Nissan (Altima), Hyundai (Sonata), and other midsize [maass-market] sedans; while the TL is mostly cross-shopped with the G35, IS, 3er, and other premium sports sedans.

Camry was never meant to compete [directly] with the TL and it should not be. The SE trim and upgraded power do not translate into a sports sedan. Camrys across trim lines are still classified as family sedan last time I checked, and still the same after test driving the 07s.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't disagree with your premise but the interesting thing is that so many people throughout our Forums are doing just that - comparing the new Camry to the existing TL. While the two vehicles certainly do seem to be squarely in separate classes, there are many who are not seeing it that way since the '07 hit the streets.

Interesting.
    Hi Pat, I think it’s a good idea to compare vehicles from different classes, as many people shop at the price point and not the vehicle group.
    While we at it, can you set up another discussion IS250 vs. Accord Coupe. Similar price point and size, close performance; should make a good discussion.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    When you take a nicely designed/built FWD vehicle, with enough power and firmer suspension, you are standing there right next to the TL. "sports sedan" or "family sedan" are just marketing terms. This is not a knock to TL, it is a nice looking, well designed, "sports-image sedan". What it is not though is a "hard core" RWD like IS, BMW 3, G35, I think 2007 Camry SE V6 really exposes that.
  • dr_gdr_g Member Posts: 21
    Guess I'm not the only one that sees this as an odd comparison. I live in a city where ½ the kids in my high school class (93) drove Acura Integras (I hated that car back then - way over pimped out) and ½ the people on my street now own Camry's as their cheap family car. Having driven several 2006 Camry's to near limits of handling (LA traffic is a zoo and requires nerves of steel) I can say it gives out way before the TL does. I was looking at getting a G35 and IS350, but the G was too loud (sounded like their was no soundproofing) and the IS is just way overpriced. I ended up "settling" for a TL (still a huge upgrade from my Contour SE which I loved). To my surprise the TL is not the big-boat I thought it would be and handles very nicely, although as mentioned is front heavy. I'm trying to avoid the urge to mod it once break in is done.

Not having driven the 2007 Camry I can't speak for it, but assuming it's in-line as a less Avalon it had no business running lanes of traffic in LA. Guess Toyota may be taking a stab at Accord with a sportier feel. One thing Camry always had going for it was a ride so smooth it was like driving a Lincoln Towncar (without the 5 foot trunk).

As far as the the AUX MP3 comment on the Camry - I was bummed when I originally found out there was no easy way to add in aux support to the TL's audio system without spending $200 plus. Then I found out you can write 2 channel audio (same quality as MP3s) onto DVDs and get around 100 songs on a DVD - so with the changer who needs an IPOD. I have about 520 songs on my TL right now - and with steering mounted controls it's better than any IPOD adapter. TL wins the audio contest hands down - unless you want to try to play audio off your Palm or something, then you still need a ¼ jack somewhere.

I wonder if Bluetooth on the Treo 700 can play audio through the TL's audio system - now that would rock - no cables and can listen to medical lectures (ok, fun for me I guess).
    These other cars you mention are priced a LOT MORE than a TL! Who wants 'hard core' anyway? The Camry exposes what? The TL gives you great performance, handling, 4 doors, and awesome electronics in a class leading safety cage for about $31K. And in 2008 Acura will raise the bar again with the redesign.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    about that "Class leading safety cage" of the TL is that, according to the IIHS, cars like the '06 Lexus IS, '05- '06 Mitsubishi Galant, '06 Jetta and Passat, and '06 Subaru Legacy all achieve better evaluations for structrual integrity in the very demanding Side Impact test.

The TL, like most vehicles, earns an 'Acceptable' for Structure/Safety Cage, while those mentioned above, earn 'Good'.

'Class leading safety cage' seems erroneous in reference to the TL.

~alpha
    At TL w/NAV is going to MSRP at $35k. Keep the 2008 out of this as we are comparing current cars. Heck, the 200X Ford Festiva is going to run circles around all of these cars....don't believe me, exactly. Silly, huh?

Seriously, the NEW Camry in SE trim with the V6 and NAV is on paper and in feel very similar to the TL and comparably equipped for $31k MSRP. No Toyota isn't targeting the TL, no it isn't in the same class segment, but if you are looking for a sporty family sedan with reliability, tech options, and good resale for around $30k, then both of these cars should be looked at.

As for the comment of the Camry not even coming close, I implore you to withhold that comment until you have driven a SE V6. It is not a 'just below the Avalon' car as is the XLE.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can create that discussion - sounds interesting. Go to this link Comparisons and use the Add A Discussion link just above the discussion list on the right. Drop me an email if you have any trouble.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I don't know man...but going from a Lexus LS to a Toyota Camry is definitely a "step-down". Even the "side-way" move will no fit the description. Don't get me wrong here...there is nothing wrong going from the LS to Camry, sometime a change is scenary is a good thing. :)
  • berg32berg32 Member Posts: 56
    We need to replace our '96 ES. We don't drive too many miles, only 10k/yr, so we are probably good candidates for a used TL, maybe '04 or '05 with low miles. Alternative for same $ is a new SE-V6, because we've had great experience with Camry's (our '94 still looks and runs like new), dealer is walking distance, and I hate high-cost Lexus service. Comments most welcome.
  • jls2jls2 Member Posts: 5
    I think both cars are great, but I think you know that already since you seem to have narrowed it down. What would sway me, all things being equal in your situation (meaning price and warranty, I know Acura offers a great warranty if it is a "certified" car), I would go with a new car. My comfort level is always best with new, knowing from day one how the car was driven. It can be in perfect shape as a used model, but my peace of mind is with new. I have an XLE V6 07 Camry, and I did test drive the SE-V6 and liked it as well. But I prefer the extras in the XLE such as the wood trim, auto climate control with steering wheel controls, reclining back seats, etc. The Camry is great to drive, and I think the daily driving characteristics are negligible when looking at the performance specs between the SE and TL. Most people are not driving these at a track. I test drove the TL and have loved them since they came out, but for the price difference, or no difference when looking at a used TL, to me new wins out when things are this close. And I believe the back seat legroom is noticeably better in the Camry at 3.5" more, if that is at all important to you.
    Ultimately you can't go wrong with either car. Good luck, it is a touch choice to make.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    I'm an '05 TL owner and would recommend a used (or new leftover, if you can find one?) '05 over '04. I believe some issues in '04 were alleviated in '05. Great car.

However, I do agree with jls2. Unless the TL really fulfills some other needs/wants/desires, I'd go with a new Camry over the used TL. Unless, the TL is what you really want (or it's certified)...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    The Camry may appear to have all the gadgets that the TL has, but in reality the Acura TL is a much more sophisticated car with higher quality components. Start with the leather. The Camry only comes with beige or gray. The Acura interior is much higher quality. A friend of mine has one with black leather interior which is really nice. It also has an incredible sound system.
    Have you driven a new Camry SE V6? Have you listened to the 440w JBL? I agree the TL has a great sound system, but you can not dismiss the Camry as no comparison. I personally wouldn't want dark leather, so that option doesn't matter. As for higher quality, be specific....what is better and do you have something to quantify the statement?

Not to mention, the new Camry wasn't built to battle the TL, but due to it's tech features and performance, it is being cross shopped with the TL. I think most of us here can agree, we aren't trying to say the Camry is going to steal large market sahre from the TL, but it is worthy of checking out if you are in the market for a sporty sedan that is entry level luxo quality with all of the tech goodies.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    Before i bought my TL, I did test drive the SE. Very nice, but they had none on the lot and dealer indicated availability was limited and discounting was limited and I had to wait up to 8 weeks. That and my general concerns about first year models and the 4 year versu 3 year guarantee put the edge to the TL. Plus the TL had the low finace rate for April. If the Se was in 2nd or 3rd year, it would probably have won me over with the cost savings.
    Agreed. Drove both cars tonight. Ride on the SE was much better than my first experience. However I must admit, the TL is VERY refined, a real smooth operator. Maybe I'll compare the XLE against the TL.
    I did have the chance to really hammer the throttle on the SE. That car is seriously quick. That V6 sounds very mean, in a good way, when it is opened up. :shades:

The only problems:
    TL needs premium fuel, and the milage is not as good as the Camry.
    TL has a timing belt versus the Camrys timing chain. Replacing a belt is a 1K expense
    TL is about 4K more than a Camry SE. hmmmm...... Decisions, decisions.....
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    These two cars are not comparable. The Camry is a family car. The looks are anything but sporty. The Acura is much more sports oriented. If you are shopping these two cars at the same time, you don't know what you want. People buy the Acura for it's looks (sports sedan). People are not buying the Camry for it's looks. At least I wouldn't.
    My boy elroy: RELAX!!!!!!!!! ANY TWO CARS ARE COMPARABLE!!!!!

I want a CAMRY or a TL!!!!!! That's why I'm going out to drive them. How's that? Gee, on second thought...... maybe I should get a SONATA!

(sorry Pat)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You are entitled to your opinion .. even if it is wrong. The SE V6 is like no other Camry or Accord before it. It truly is much in the same class as the TL and surpasses the TL in some ways.
    Glad I got mine for $600 over invoice. Although I did have ot wait 3 weeks for it.
    These two cars are not comparable. The Camry is a family car. The looks are anything but sporty. The Acura is much more sports oriented. If you are shopping these two cars at the same time, you don't know what you want.

Wrong, I knew exactly what I wanted...a reliable sporty sedan, with technically advanced features (voice nav, bluetooth) that wouldn't leave me crying come resale time.

People buy the Acura for it's looks (sports sedan). People are not buying the Camry for it's looks. At least I wouldn't.

It was the looks of the Camry SE that made me go back to the Toyota dealer for a drive while I was literally on my way to teh Acura dealer to sign papers for a TL. And you are right, it is not the looks that drives one to buy a Camry. It is the drive, the reliability, the features, and oh by the way....the SE looks pretty darn nice.

And people don't buy the TL for it's looks. They buy it for the same reason I said people buy Camrys. The difference is, it is in a different class segment and targets a different audience. As has been stated on many occasions, and 2 cars can be compared....it is just that the SE V6 Camry is close enough to the TL in performance and features that is really should be compared.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    While I think the Camry is a much better
    looking car than before, I still think the
    TL is the better-looking car. The Camry has
    some nice-looking interior styling, but on
    the exterior, particularly the front, I'm
    having a little bit of a problem with the
    front nose of the car. I noticed when
    walking up to the car on a side profile, the
    front nose looks kind of snubbed or snubby --
    don't know if this is the right way to describe it -- stubby -- stubbed -- oh, well!
    two visitors called the nose a 'NASCAR nose'. I think that they might be right.

I also am pretty certain it has to do with meeting IIHS 5 mph bumper criteria. With this design it allegedly will be lest costly to repair in 5 mph bumps than the prior sloped models.

Lot's of factors we don't even think about go into design.
    I'm having a little bit of a problem with the
    front nose of the car.

Yea - the badge on the front does look like it needs to be lanced! The rear view is Lexusey. Real sweet.

Toyota keeps their generational designs at 5 year intervals (like Accords)so this is the view of the Camry for the next 5 years! The TL (and Accord) will get a redo in a year and a half. I'll bet the 09 TL (and Accord) will be another thing of beauty. So Honda/Acura will see Toyota's raise and raise the stakes themselves.
  • cyclonemikecyclonemike Member Posts: 10
    I test drove several vehicles over the past week:

Accord EX-V6, EX-4CYL; Camry XLE-V6; Acura TL; Maxima SL; Altima SE-3.5; Passat 2.0

Since this is a TL vs Camry discussion I will weigh in on those. Basically, the Camry was impressive while I was in the passenger seat and my wife was driving. Comfortable, smooth, great interior (except for the UGLY faux wood). Great acceleration. However, when I got behind the wheel I was very disappointed. It felt like I was driving a marshmallow - zero steering feedback and poor handling. It got crossed off the list almost immediately. It sounds like maybe I should have tried an SE-V6 instead of a XLE? Is the handling that much better in the SE?

On the other hand the TL had a great mix of handling versus ride and plenty of acceleration. The driving position and cockpit was great. Premium fuel requirement stinks.

Out of all the cars:
    Best acceleration - Maxima (they do have a sweet engine)
    Best handling - Accord EX-V6
    Smoothest riding and quietest - Camry
    Best sound system - Passat Dynaudio system
    Best interior - Acura TL
    Best overall mix - Acura TL
    Worst overall mix - Altima
    Best overall bang for the buck - Accord EX-V6

Car I am most likely to buy - Accord or Acura.
    "It sounds like maybe I should have tried an SE-V6 instead of a XLE? Is the handling that much better in the SE?"

Absolutely. The XLE is a boulevardier, though handling is said to be much improved over previous versions, according to mags like edmunds.com. I don't believe steering feel has been heavied, though, which is why the XLE's steering likely felt light to you.

Testing the SE would also afford you a different interior treatment, no faux wood to be found. Was there a reason you didn't test the SE?

~alpha
    It seems like V6 SE's are like hen's teeth. Hmmm
    Then where are all these SE V6 owners coming from?

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.