Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Toyota Camry Transmission Gear Snap Ring Issue: TMSUSA Responds

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Talk about 2007 Camry transmission issues here.

Comments

• faldocfaldoc Member Posts: 84
    Update: I have 1600+ miles on this car now and no tranny problems yet.... no rattles, squeaks, drips, leaks, malfunctions.... oh wait, maybe 1: left rear seat does not return completely to upright position after reclining it, it gets to within 1 click of upright, then you have to pull it forward to lock it at highest position. No big deal: people will probably never use it.

I have stopped babying the car and it really takes off: smooth, powerful, nearly imperceptible shifts... I give up a couple mpg for the lead foot, though.

One additional note: I saw a Japan assembled Camry and it had the same 75% US parts count as the US assembled cars. In other words, they ship the same US parts we have here to Japan for them to assemble.
    I spoke too soon. My beautiful 2007 Camry XLE has got a big problem. I read about a transmission problem in toyotanation and I hoped to avoid it but the problem has afflicted mine just shy of 2000 miles.

Today (4/24/2006, 16 days after buying the car) it started lurching badly when accelerating moderately from a stop at about 20 mph: the revs go all over the place and it revs up to 5000 or more. The transmission shifts hopelessly up and down, slipping and sliding back and forth from gear to gear. It has a bad smell after this.

This is a big problem and it is unsafe to drive. I called Rice Toyota and they had me call their wrecker to haul it to the dealership. I was gambling that Toyota would have the bugs worked out but clearly this is a big problem. I lost.

People always say wait till the car has been out a year before buying it. This is a good illustration of why. If other posts are any indication, my car could be at the shop for 2 weeks or longer.

Goodbye, Camry! See ya next month!
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Sory to hear the bad news. Hopefully you get your car back sooner. Please keep us posted. What is the deal with the toyotanation comment? Did that person have a 4 or a 6 cylinder engine and did it really take that long to resolve the problem?

Again beest of luck.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    faldoc – sorry to hear it happened to you too. I have read the transmission problem in toyotanation forums, but this is my first time to read it here. It looks like the problem is real.

Someone said that Toyota stop shipping the V6 auto for awhile, but has started to do again. Maybe the problem is fix... but still scary.

I am expecting my dealer to get the SE V6 anytime this week and is asking me to give a deposit so it will be mine (based on our agreed price of course). Now I am getting scared if I should go through buying the car now or maybe just wait for a few months.

Maybe the others can share their experiences on the v6 automatic trans? I heard it is affecting only the V6 auto (but again this is just based on what I read at the other forum).

Good luck, I hope they fix it well.

FiloD
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Faldoc, I found the site and got the answers to my questions. It looks like there are 6 separate complaints involving the trannys on V-6 XLEs and LEs. I also saw your other postings/pictures. Again, sorry about your situation, but please keep us informed.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "People always say wait till the car has been out a year before buying it. This is a good illustration of why. If other posts are any indication, my car could be at the shop for 2 weeks or longer."

This is truly sound advice. Our 05 Legacy required an entire engine transplant at 7000 miles after multiple defects were discovered with the block due to improper manufacturing, leading the car to literally break down on US130 in So. Central NJ. Car was out of commission for two weeks.

I'm surprised at the issue with the Camry transmission; this unit is already mated to the V6 in the Lexus IS. What I'd like to know is how many complaints are actual failures, such as yours, faldoc, and how many simply represent dissatisfaction with performance?

~alpha
    In my case I love the performance of the engine. The transmission is at issue: with the lurching, over-revving, erratic shift problem. The tach was literally swinging up and down wildly, the car bucking. Very un-nerving. I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from? '

Cooked tranny fluid?
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    If the tranny has already been used in the Lexus, and the V6 was used months earlier with the '06 Avalon, you'd think the bugs would have been diagnosed by now.
    I do not think the V6 is an issue...

~alpha
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    It sucks to be you man. Was your XLE built in Kentucky or in Japan? Maybe you just got a Lemon.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Problem seems to be Kentucky only so far.

Six cars reported on another forum as of today.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    Are cars with this problem all V6's?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Yes, just the 6 speed Automatics.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    as noted by spencer327, this is a design issue that has existed in many Toyota/Lexus products for quite awhile - and certainly has nothing to do with specifically where the car is made.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I'll wait before I buy. If this is a design flaw that has existed for quite awhile, wouldn't every Toyota/Lexus have the problem? Take it a step further. Wouldn't sales of all related vehicles suffer? The opposite seems to be happening. Are owners not noticing the problem? It's quite confusing.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "'I was concerned about the burning smell after I parked the car. What would that be from?'

Cooked tranny fluid?"

I love the smell of burned clutch facings sauteed in cooked tranny fluid in the morning. It smells like ... disaster. Pure speculation on my part, but, since Toyota has a new ATF - "T-V", I'm wondering if the previous "T-IV" fluid was inadvertently installed in some of these 6-sp trannies at the factory. The good news, these failures happened early on and definitely during the warranty - no way Toyota can duck out (not that they were trying to).

On a side note, for those, like me, who enjoy getting down and dirty with their cars' maintenance, but additionally feel that limited distribution specialty motor oils and certain transmission fluids which claim compatibiity with automaker fluids are a cool way to surpass automaker performance specifications, think twice before assumptively substituting. I don't doubt that any product can be improved on. I'm just not sure that a product that claims to be an improvement always delivers on its claim.

(Another rock-solid test of "performance" is, in the event of a problem, "Who loves ya', Baby?" ;))
    Same here, I am holding off for awhile. I just emailed my sales rep not to consider me with the units that are coming in this week.

I told him though that I will be calling him again in a few months...and even buying then will not be difficult as today because of limited inventories.

Hopefully in a few months, Toyota should have solved the transmission problem (I really like the SE V6 with navi)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I'm not convinced the "problem" is widespread. I would need more evidence than a couple or a few postings here or elsewhere. Have some experienced a problem? yes. Are the majority of owners with this transmission experiencing a problem? I'm not so sure. To date, I've not read or seen any proof (of a widespread problem). In most cases happy owners don't post. Individuals that experience problems are the ones that post (usually more than once and on different boards). 400,000 Camrys are sold yearly. Most don't post anywhere. I will continue to keep my eyes and ears open. However, it would take more than what I've read here so far to discourage me from purchasing at this time.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    think the real question with many owners - is it even perceived to be a problem - myself included. And yes there have literally been thousands of posts on the subject on the Avalon sites. I would suggest to you also that just taking the time to participate in these forums likely certifies us as legit car nuts and therefore more picky about our cars than the other millions of Camry/Avalon owners. As a result the usual post is more likely negative than positive. Some folks, like spencer327, learn to live with it and still find it bothersome - and others may not even understand what some of us are even talking about. But, one thing for sure, Toyota does build a helluva car!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    If Americans weren't so lazy and bought more manual transmission cars, Toyota would still be offering a V6 camry with a 5 or 6 speed manual. Much more reliable. Instead of a stupid computer deciding when to shift (and causing problems like you describe when it gets confused or programmed incorrectly), you control the manual transmission shifting. I had a manual V6 Camry in my sights for a while, but I waited too long. Manual transmission vehicles are disappearing in this country at an alarming rate.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    If Americans weren't so lazy and bought more manual transmission cars....

Speak for yourself. The choice to purchase an auto tranny has little to do with desire for effort or lack thereof. It is more related to practicality for many...like me.

BTW: My SE V6 is going to trip 1000 miles on my way home today and (knock on wood) has been problem free.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the place for that conversation: The Future Of The Manual Transmission. We'll let this discussion focus on the transmission issues of the new Camry.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) is calling back a limited number of its best-selling Camry sedans built in the 2007 model year in order to fix a glitch with the transmission on certain models.

The Japanese auto maker, known for its stellar quality reputation, launched the redesigned 2007 Camry in March. In a press release issued Tuesday, Toyota said six-cylinder models of the new car have the potential for the loss of second and sixth gear while being driven.

Buyers experiencing the problem are being encouraged to return the car to a Toyota dealership where it can be fixed.

Toyota said the condition is expected to affect about a half-percent of early Camry sales and the car will operate even if second and sixth gear is lost. The company said the condition usually manifests within the first 500 miles of operation and is caused by a fastener within the transmission becoming loose. Toyota has changed its production process on the Camry to ensure the problem doesn't persist in forthcoming models.
  • tmsusatmsusa Member Posts: 81
    Hello again from Toyota Motor Sales USA. We’ve been getting considerable feedback from our 2007 Camry customers and have recently heard from a few of our XLE owners about this transmission irregularity that they’ve experienced. Since some of our customers have been seeking information via the internet, we wanted to take advantage of this forum to get the facts out quickly.

We've found that some of the earliest built 07 Camry V6 transmissions do have the potential to operate improperly—specifically with the 2nd and 6th gears. It has to do with something called the snap ring and the way it is seated as the automatic transmission moves through its gears.
    When it decides to not “seat” properly, those two gears just don’t work right—but the car operates and is safe to drive.
    No question—When it happens, it’s awfully disconcerting. Some of our customers are angry.

We want to know about any occurrences of this condition immediately, and ask that affected customers contact their Toyota dealership or talk to us directly at 800-331-4331—or here via this forum if that’s more convenient. Toyota and our dealers will work with every customer that experiences this problem to achieve total satisfaction and confidence with their new Camry. Our apologies to faldoc for his inconvenience and disappointment—But a big thank you for your frank dialog.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Thanks TMUSA, for quickly acknowledging and stepping up to this problem. Although my 2007 LE-I4 wouldn't be potentially impacted, it's very comforting to know that Toyota takes any of these problems seriously and will work to correct any issues. Thanks again!
  • lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    I am impressed by Toyota USA's response to this problem, and specifically to this forum. I have ordered a Camry Hybrid, and I just found out today that I will be the first person to get one from my local dealer (I got lucky on color and options). I hesitated briefly when I heard I would be the first person to get one, knowing all too well (having owned first gen. BMW's and VW's) that the first cars off the line do sometimes have problems. However, seeing the comments from Toyota on this forum gives me confidence in the manufacturer, knowing that support will be there if and when necessary.

Kudos to Toyota.
    TMS in California called me today and will see this through. They are offering me a loaner like what I have. They will pay my car payment if it takes time to fix. They will extend the warrantee with the Platinum 7 yr 100000 mile warrantee. They will (I think) deliver the loaner to me tomorrow (I live 40 mins away from the dealer and it is a hassle for me to pick the car up: wife needs to take me). If the repairs are not satisfactory then they will exchange my car for a new one. Thanks TMS for the great response. I will keep you guys informed.
    JBaumgart, you are misinformed. This is not a recall. As we indicated earlier, we've become aware of this potential gear loss by listening to our customers. Our actions, if you need to label them, are our response to those owners so that we can work to ensure they continue to have a great customer experience. Also, this forum provides an opportunity for us to expedite our communication to those customers and to others who have interest--and to ensure it is correct.
    "JBaumgart, you are misinformed. This is not a recall."

The article I read used the words "calling back" and I interpreted this to mean "recall" which I used as the title of my post. If this is inaccurate, I apologize.

I would however be interested to know just how TMUSA has figured the percentage of Camry V6 owners who are subject to this problem, and why TMUSA has chosen to not issue a formal recall. If what one of the owners here said is accurate - sudden variations in RPM's and an inability to drive smoothly - this would seem to be a safety issue for unsuspecting owners who are not notified in advance.
    JBaumgart - may I know where you saw the article? Thank you.

FiloD
    stepping up and mitigating the issue right off the bat. This is the type of forum participation that I'm used to from companies like Subaru, which has a huge owner base and following on these threads.

Thanks to tmsusa for providing input here, and I'm glad that this was a manufacturing issue caught early, as compared to the hestitation issue with the old 5A that was largely due to the design of the transmission.

Not sure if the problem is "SOLVED", but recognition of the issue and offer of rectification is DEFINITELY a step in the right direction.

~alpha
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I am amazed at this discussion since I have participated since 2004 in HLs problems, sic: engine hesitation, avalon forums etc. The same patterns reappear. Naysayers, doubters, tecnocrats with all sorts of solutions.The bottom line is Toyota has a tranny problem with DBW. I for one was hoping the new 6 speed would solve all the problems and was going to replace my 4 speed Avalon with a 2007 Camry. I am not encouraged by these forums. I can accept a failure of a tranny I cannot accept a design flaw from a company the quality of Toyota.
    TMSUSA refers to fixable production failures not to the
    design or algorithms for the control of the tranny.
    I too will wait and see.
    You are not paying attention. There are two separate issues here. The issue with the Camry 6A is one of manufacturing and subsequent function in the vehicle.

The issue with OLD, unrelated 5A that is still in use in some Toyota vehicles (but not this Camry), is one of design and response.

According to Toyota's own Press Release and all the mag reviews I've read of the 6A, the transmission (when working properly) has no design or algorithmic control issues. Regarding the 6A vs. the former 5A coupled with the 3.0L and 3.3L V6 Toyota states "transmission kickdown response was cut to 0.5 seconds, more than twice as fast as the response of the transmission this new one replaces."

~alpha
  • orly3orly3 Member Posts: 2
    JBaumgart - Yes, perhaps you might want to share with us the source of the 'article'...Undoubtedly, there are a lot of potential V6 Camry buyers waiting on the sidelines, eagerly waiting for more news on this issue before they make the move--a good friend of mine included. Orly3
  • so40so40 Member Posts: 8
    I have been following all of this transmission discussion on several boards. I have a new XLE V6 that was made in Japan in January of 06. The last 5 of the VIN are 00211, so it is one of the earliest made Japan cars. I bought it on March 16 and it arrived at the original dealer on March 6, 2006. I now have 2,300 miles on it and so far it is perfect in every way. My wife recently made a 950 mile trip and averaged 32.05 MPG. Yes, this was all Interstate except for maybe 40 or 50 miles. We love the car so far.

I am glad Toyota has discovered the problem and is not trying to hide or stay silent. The ONLY little peculiar thing I see about this transmission is that when driving around 35 MPH (35-40) around town and I let off the gas it seems to slow down a little faster than you would expect. It is like you apply a "little" brake, but without touching the brake. I figure it is just the way Toyota has the computer set for the transmission. Maybe that speed is right where it is between two gears and when I let off it down shifts. It is a very smooth shifting transmission. I hope my luck continues. As I said, we really like this car.

Mike
    Thanks for your clarification JBaumgart. That terminology does make one believe this is more than a customer response effort--but it is not. The author of the article (maybe a financial journalist given the TM stock symbol?)crafted that opening line and chose words that tell an inaccurate story, in tmsusa's opinion.

This is not a safety issue. If it occurs, the car will still operate safely, but you'll know if it happens because it will drive more like your grandfather's . . .not quite as smoothly as expected from a Toyota. We just want to help our customers as quickly as possible.
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    tmsusa,
    From what you have posted, it sounds like Toyota has identified the source of the problem. What must be performed (after you take it to the dealership) to fix it? :confuse:

Has Toyota been able to resolve this problem for future built Camrys? How will you be able to tell if your Camry might have the possibility for this problem?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions, but I was going to take my mother Camry shopping next week (this will probably be her last car).

P.S. Would you be willing to help, and give your insight to the members of the "Toyota Avalon 2005+" board? Some are experiencing a "Transmission Hesitation" and they are coming up with "Foot Placement On The Gas Pedal" theories (this is only one out of many different theories). Some members have even gone as far as modifying their gas pedal. Please, would you help? :)

Killerpiece :shades:
  • spencer327spencer327 Member Posts: 106
    I have never read a bad revue from any mag re the 5 speed tranny either. Most of the references to it appear on these forums.Toyota says no problems. DUH!
    Time will tell if the 6 speed really has matured since these trannys will learn "adaptively" and shifts will change with driver inputs.
    I still will wait and see if the complaints roll in.
    I respect what you've said, but I disagree that the issue with the 5A wasnt mentioned in reviews, and hope you understand that the issue experienced with the Camry's 6A is not one of design/programming, but rather of manufacture- one that seems to have been identified, and corrected.

~alpha
  • bigd58bigd58 Member Posts: 39
    Yes, I too would very much like to know at what point can we visit a dealership and take possession of a new Camry without worrying if the tranny is a problem.
    "Yes, I too would very much like to know at what point can we visit a dealership and take possession of a new Camry without worrying if the tranny is a problem."

You can do that right now big58. Look, we would very much rather not be out here discussing a potential problem with one of our most important products. But the fact is, we stand by our Camry and value its owners. It's the dialog we are able to have with customers that is helping us react swiftly to this issue with the V6 transmission. We know what is happening when the problem occurs, and we have been able to achieve a countermeasure at production. Potential buyers need not worry.

We deeply regret the inconvenience and disappointment to our customers who have experienced the problem and are working with our dealers to make the necessary service as painless as possible.
    "The author of the article (maybe a financial journalist given the TM stock symbol?)crafted that opening line and chose words that tell an inaccurate story, in tmsusa's opinion."

You are very astute. The article appeared in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ.com) a little after 4:00 pm today.
    UPDATE: Glitch Prompts Toyota To Call Back New Camrys

April 25, 2006 5:06 p.m.

(Updates with number of vehicles potentially affected and a spokeswoman's explanation on how the problem was detected and what Toyota's method is for updating customers.)

DETROIT -- Toyota Motor Corp. (TM) is calling back approximately 160 of its best-selling Camry sedans built in the 2007 model year in order to fix a glitch with the transmission on certain models.

The Japanese auto maker, known for its stellar quality reputation, launched the redesigned 2007 Camry in March. In a press release issued Tuesday, Toyota said six-cylinder models of the new car have the potential for the loss of second and sixth gears while being driven.

Buyers experiencing the problem are encouraged in the press release to return the car to a Toyota dealership where it can be fixed. Toyota isn't sending an official letter to customers or issuing a formal recall because the issue isn't a "safety campaign or safety issue," Toyota spokeswoman Allison Takahashi said.

Toyota said the condition is expected to affect about a half-percent of early Camry sales and the car will operate even if second and sixth gears are lost. The company said the condition usually manifests within the first 500 miles of operation and is caused by a fastener within the transmission becoming loose. Toyota found the problem during durability testing, Takahashi said, and the company has changed its production process on the Camry to ensure the problem doesn't persist in forthcoming models.
    Sorry killerpiece, that R word gets people nervous--and as we've said--this is Toyota responding to its customers who have identified/experienced a real, albeit unfortunate anomaly with the 6-spd automatic transmission on our early 07 V6 model Camrys. (tmsusa's own mother's last car was a beautiful white '89 Camry--What a great gesture on your part for your mom!)

P.S. We're working hard to ensure a great ownership experience for everyone in our growing customer base, but this forum discussion is specific to the 6-spd transmission concern being voiced by some of our 07 V6 Camry customers. It is not at all related to the discussion you reference on other boards nor is it any type of "carry-over" issue from other models.
  • max_99max_99 Member Posts: 28
    Dear tmsuas,
    I am a recent owner of a 2007 LEV6 Camry. The car was built in Japan and has less than 1000 miles. Some owners are reporting problems at 1000-2000 miles even though the press release states most problems occur in the first 500 miles.

Since I have bought the car, I have been so concerned about about a transmission problem, that I spend little time enjoying the ride but constantly listen or trying to determine if there is a problem. I do not want to be driving down the road or passing in 6th gear when the car starts to buck or lunge. I would like to catch the problem first if that is possible.

Is there any way to verify that the car is free from this transmission defect..either by the VIN number, manufacturing location, series number, inspection or other means. If not, at what mileage can I feel reasonably comfortable that the car is not going to experience this problem. I do not feel 500 miles is the milestone given the reports by other owners.

Thanks,
    Max_99
  • satul96satul96 Member Posts: 16
    Hello TMUSA
    I am new to this forum. I would like to know your opinions. I am a new driver and this is my first car. I am interested in Camry 2007 LE 4 cyln automatic. I test drove this trim and I liked it. I liked its interior however I noticed one thing after driving Honda Accord,Sonata and this camry. I feel that when it start from rest initailly there is jerk of gear change at lower speed in automatic model. I am not sure becos I am new driver. I also feel the same jerk in accord ( it was less than camry) but not in sonata ( but this sonata was V6 I do not know whether it makes a diff). I become more suspicious after hearing XLE V6 case. I have put on hold buying 2007 Camry LE auto 4cyl

Can you clarify this doubt?
    "I do not want to be driving down the road or passing in 6th gear when the car starts to buck or lunge."

It's not quite as dramatic as that max_99. If it happens, you could lose the use of a couple of gears. If you've ever driven a stick shift, you might think of it as somewhat akin to purposely skipping a gear up or down, say like going from first directly to third gear. The car won't operate as smoothly.

Of course tmsusa is sensitive to your concerns, and the condition as described is totally unacceptable. Why don't you call us directly to discuss this with one of our Toyota Customer Experience Case Managers?

The number is 800-331-4331.

They are there from 5am until 6pm Pacific Time during the week, but we've also added some additional information regarding this issue that you can hear 24/7.

Thanks for being a Toyota customer and sharing your concerns via this forum.
  • jeffw330jeffw330 Member Posts: 13
    Glad to have run into this thread because I was about to pull the trigger on a 2007 XLE V6, but am now taking a pause to see whether this is a fairly isolated issue. tmsusa - glad to see Toyota is moving quickly to resolve the problem and hopefully prevent future issues.

I echo max 99's question - is there any way to know in advance if we have one of the models prone to this early model transmission problem? Thanks.
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    It is not at all related to the discussion you reference on other boards nor is it any type of "carry-over" issue from other models.

I know and completely understand this fact, I was only asking If you would be willing (as a knowledgeable Toyota representative I thought you would be able to help some of these people). :blush: (After you take care of the 07 V6 Camry transmission concerns of course!)

I must take note that you didn't answer any of my questions though! ;)

Killerpiece :shades:
This discussion has been closed.