Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota RAV4 (pre-2006): Problems & Solutions

2»

Comments

• Options
    joe280joe280 Member Posts: 2
    trying to find the location of the b solenoid on the 2004 rav4 trans...please help...thnx
  • Options
    joe280joe280 Member Posts: 2
    can any one help me locate the b solenoid on my 2004 rav4.there is a total of five solenod in the transmssion.can not find any info in any repair manuals that tells me what solenoid is what...please help..thank you...
  • Options
    anio1424anio1424 Member Posts: 1
    Since I purchased this car in 2006 I have had problems with driving in the rain. It skids so easy. Tonight I was stopped on a hill, there was a light rain, and when I slowly excellerated the car start to skid and not gain traction. Each time the auto lsd light came one. This happened since I have had the car. It is a 4 cylinder, two wheel drive.
    :(
    thanks for your help.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2012
    Could be cheapo or worn tires.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    At 131,000 miles, my 2001 RAV (awd, auto trans) is still running well. It did get a reman trans at 81,000 miles, not eligible for mfr help, unfortunately.
    Front disc pads replaced at 6x,000 miles, rear drums not yet.

There is still no other small vehicle that has easily removable rear seats leaving enough floor-to-ceiling room to swallow whole 2 adult road bikes without their wheels removed, so I'm hanging onto it. I still get around 28 mpg on the highway. Plus it was paid for long ago.

Oh, and I still need the cassette player on occasion.
  • Options
    cmac99cmac99 Member Posts: 1
    This is a problem with the 01 Rav that Toyota is fully aware of as they were sued by a class acton in the state of Michigan. I had the same problem you experienced BUT I found out the computer was bad before the Dealer sold me their $4000 trans.

I think the mechanics knew about this also but chose to take $3000+ of your dollars first.There was nothing wrong with your seals only the computer.

Check the suit in Michigan. I got a refund from Toyota for the $1200 I spent on the computer.
  • Options
    tnschulztnschulz Member Posts: 1

I own a 2005 Toyota Rav4. I have to park outside, without a garage, since I live in the city. One day, in the very cold winter, I went out to turn on my car and realized that I didn't have to have my foot on the brake to put my car in drive. I know that I have had to in the past because, in moments of absent-mindedness, I have tried to put the car in drive (from being in park) and been unable to until I place my foot on the break. Since I was waiting for the car to warm up for awhile, I didn't have my foot on the brake this time, and when I put my car in drive it began to move forward... So next week I have a long car ride ahead of me - just wanted to make sure this wasn't a sign of a larger problem, say, early brake failure or anything like that. If anyone knows why this is happening, let me know!

• Options
    Sp5Sp5 Member Posts: 1
    Here's one for the books. Have a P1155 code, which should be an open heater on B2S1. Well on the mid year 2001 they made changes to the car and started adding 2002 parts, like the heater assy in the car, only one many things I have found. Well the code P1155 on these cars is really the B1S1 O2 sensor. Checked by ohming out the 2 blacks wires to confirm. Toyota in 2003 apparently sent out letters to have you come in and get ECM reprogrammed, I never got the letter. So 250 dollars later, still have the problem, ( insert all pertenant explitives here), so if your Rav4 is within the time frame, check the ohms on the black wires, if good should be between 1.1 to 2.2 oms when cold, if bad it will show open. Toyota the new Ford