Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Yaris v. Toyota Corolla

2»

Comments

• Options
    kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    for me.

1) the yaris was a downgrade in mileage, as i bought a manual corolla and drive a majority of highway.

2) i have a doberman and mutt/lab mix. i put them in the back seat of the corolla all the time. i just a cheap vinyl seat cover in the back. works great.

3) all the yaris hatchbacks i looked at would be poor transpo for two dogs, or even 1 for that matter(if it were a large dog). the reason is that there is not a flat space unless you pay extra for the 60/40 seat, which should have been standard. the 1 piece seat that comes with all the yarii ive seen thus far is a joke. any flat area you get with that seat is miniscule. you get an unlevel surface, and even if it the whole area was flat its just not very big at all. i used to have a matrix, and it was awesome for dogs, perfectly flat in back and plenty large. i only traded for the corolla for the 41 mpg, which i regularly get and then some. the matrix was generally 5-6 mpg less.

so, not only do my dogs travel in comfort, but i also have the use of a trunk if i need it.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The Yaris hatch is "cute" but the cargo space is next to useless as it is so tiny. I need four doors and I need the backseat for people and still need space for at least 2 suitcases.

The Yaris hatch cargo area with the seat up is tiny. Toyota should have made a hatch with the wheelbase of the sedan and four doors. Of course that would have made the Scion Xa redundant. The Honda Fit has an excellent cargo area unlike the Yaris hatch.

The Corolla has high points (mileage, hp, and discounts) but the old design (no mp3 cd player or auxillary input) and boring interior with an uncomfortable seating position are big negatives.

The Yaris sedan is still on my list as are a few others.
  • Options
    boris13boris13 Member Posts: 80
    "...the reason is that there is not a flat space unless you pay extra for the 60/40 seat, which should have been standard. the 1 piece seat that comes with all the yarii ive seen thus far is a joke. any flat area you get with that seat is miniscule. you get an unlevel surface, and even if it the whole area was flat its just not very big at all."

Ahh, but I DID pay extra for the 60/40 fold-flat rear seat (it comes with the power package). Plenty of room in the Yaris hatchback with the rear seat down for two dogs.

And I also ordered the Yaris with a manual transmission, so my mileage will be as good as your Corolla's.

(Congratulations on getting your dogs to stay still on your sedan's back seat. My dogs would never do that; but then again, I have Siberians.)
  • Options
    ashikashik Member Posts: 2
    I was very confused which car to buy and followed this discussion carefully. I was thinking about Toyota Yaris 2006, Corolla 2006, Honda Civic 2006 and Cobalt. Finally I decided in favor of Civic thouagh it costed me few thousand dollars more than the other alternatives. However, I can tell you with confidence that I am so happy with this new dashboard, digital speedometer and the car's smoothness, that the extra money is worth for me... I am happy driving it. :)
  • Options
    tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I understand about transporting the sibes. Mine is 42 and 75 pounds. I put them in the back of the truck (with camper shell).
  • Options
    irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    Corolla's bigger, and the console's not in the middle. For now.
  • Options
    I know this is a very old post, but why trade a perfectly good car for just 5 mpg difference?! Seriously, without being judgemental, I'd like to know would this be worth it? How long would it take to recoup the expense?
  • Options
    Also, not being judgemental, but maybe I'm missing something...does not a "DOWN-STAY" not work with your animals? Could you fix that? What am I missing?
This discussion has been closed.