Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda RX-8 New Owner Reports

airfrance777airfrance777 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Hi, and thanks for the responses to my previous post re the 0-60 of the AT 2006. I decided to wait for the 2006, inquired with multiple dealers on the east coast, offered to pay MSRP and lay down a deposit, and amazingly the salesmen stopped calling me! After I had to chase them for a few weeks with no response, I gave up the ghost. I'm going for a Honda Civic coupe ex with nav and AT, I know not the same car, but I really wanted the AT and nav, no other coupes on the market with a back seat made the grade, and the 30/40 mpg will be OK too. Too bad about the RX-8 but I may try again when the "speed" version is released, hopefully mazda will cater to the US market and offer an AT on that. I am an experienced driver in Europe and 20 year veteran of stick shifts, but with the traffic these days and years of the stick, I am holding out for the auto

Comments

• mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I'm enjoying my 05 AT. Obviously not as quick as the MT or the 06 AT, but enjoyable nonetheless. Works just fine for routine driving. I wanted a car with great handling, good looks, and fairly easy rear seat access. And if you use the paddles properly, you can keep the car in a good powerband.
  • trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Love my 2005 RX-8 AT. So many of the USA urban highway systems are so hopelessly clogged with traffic that having an automatic transmission is really a requirement. My 2005 RX-8 AT has only 4 speeds, but typically only 1st and 2nd are usable across the entire route of my daily commute. I try to use 4000 RPM as the minimum shift point.

From the gear ratios I've seen comparing the 6 sp MT and the 4 sp AT, it looks like 2nd gear in the MT matches 1st gear in the AT. This leads me to conclude that 1st gear in MT and the 6sp 2006 AT is more like a stump pulling gear, which would be a really pain to add to my commute's shift pattern.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    I dunno, trispec, there are times when it would be nice to be able to put some more torque down off the line; but then again, my previous vehicle was a silverado V8, so I was a bit spoiled on torque :) But I rarely had use for all that torque anyway; wasn't drag racing people.
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    I just bought my first sports car and I have to say wow what a feeling. I got the Copper red paint on the outside and on the inside a very supple and soft leather almost velvet/swade...Very very nice. I'm told that mazda only made 2150 nation wide. It's a Vert nice complete package. Mine started out at around $27500 butwhrn you ad options such as the shinka package costing an extra $6000. Mine fastly approached $34,506. It looks great, drives awsome and sitting still turns heads. I bought it today and yes it sitting in the garage. I do like this car. If anyone has some suggestions on how to add on, and which ones are best and make a real difference, please letme know. Thanks

V/R Mark Murphy
  • airfrance777airfrance777 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me.

I have still not gotten that honda coupe I was going to go for after souring on the rx-8 AT 2006 availability. Sure enough, the rx-8 AT's are in, and I may pull the trigger on one with a nav system. Murfbear, do you have a 2006 AT? I can't get a price under 31k with the GT and nav, but thinking it's worth it. One major concern - I am on the northeast, and I read on this forum that the car does not do well in the cold, on the road or starting up or otherwise, any opinions here? Can't wait to see what the new acceleration will be with this car, as well as mileage
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    One word - Zaino. Best thing you can do for preserving your paint and leather.

As for airfrance777, the tires are "summer performance tires". They have almost no traction on cold roads and are dangerous on snow and ice. Plan for winter tires. I'd go with winter wheels and tires - we got aluminum wheels and put Nokian WR tires on them - they work great. If you think this is expensive, price out the stock tires! Console yourself knowing you are prolonging the life of the expensive summer tires. ;) Once Mazda got the flashes worked out we haven't had any trouble starting the car in the winter.
  • murfbearmurfbear Member Posts: 17
    I just picked up my 2006 RX-8 Shinka Copper Red with Leather/swade brown interior from the dealership today from being detailed, having plugs changed, seat protection applied and Sat Radio setup. This is my first "Sports Car" I have owned. So far I am very pleased with the tightness and swiftness of the car. I hear gas is a problem with these cars I hope not to have to use Preimean on a regular basis, I just got rid of a gas gussler (2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7L Hemi) and hope my Mazda is better on gas miliage. I can't think of a better color for a 8 than Copper Red.
  • nergal_lvnergal_lv Member Posts: 17
    Murfbear, I hope you will not be mad about the mileage, might not be any better than your Cherokee, but will be quite a bit more fun to drive. I have the 06 Shinka in gray. I love the whole Shinka package, plus it makes the vehicle a little more unique. I think they look pretty nice with the 18" wheels, & it drives/handles like a dream. Just plan on a second set of tires for winter driving. Mine just needs tinted windows and an aux input for the radio, otherwise the entire package is awesome!!Nice specs in the Shinka: Xenon headlights, Dynamic Stability Control with traction control, Tochigi Fuji limited slip differential, 300-watt Bose AM/FM stereo, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, 9 speakers including 2 woofers, speed sensitive volume control, auto-dimming day/night mirror with Homelink, moonroof, sand colored leather/alcantara seat trim, faux leather door trim, leather console lid covers, SIRIUS satellite radio receiver with 1-year subscription, 6-disc in-dash CD changer, leather-wrapped parking brake handle, heated front seats, 8-way power driver's seat, lumbar support, fog lamps, bright finish 18" x 8" alloy wheels and 225/45ZR18 tires, urethane foam-injected suspension cross members, larger brakes, unique suspension tuning, "SHINKA" B-pillar applique, heated mirrors and Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry and Start system.
This discussion has been closed.