Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Towing with the Toyota Highlander

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrfierojrfiero Member Posts: 123
    I don't know about the new HLs, but IIRC with my 2001 the towing package included things like a larger radiator and transmission cooler, so the wiring should be a secondary consideration.

Jonas
  • Options
    sshaffer10sshaffer10 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2002 highlander with a factory installed hitch. I am planning on getting a trailer and moving across the country. The hitch does not have the carrying capacity anywhere written on it. How do I find out the carrying capacity?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    i have a 2002 w/ v6 and 2" receiver box and towed quite a lot with it. make sure you drain and refill the tranny before and after you tow. totyota tyupe IV tranny fluid is now available at most autoparts stores.

if its a v6 HL, and has the reciever has a 2" receiver box, it is most likely rated for 3,500 lbs towing weight which is also the two limit for the HL

I don't remember the tongue weight but since the tongue weight should be about 7 to 9% of the towed weight for best towing, it shouldn't be more than 350 lbs anyway. hope that helps. rr70
  • Options
    oomar43oomar43 Member Posts: 8
    Hello Toyota owners!
    I have a 2012 V6 Highlander and I am planning to buy 4000lbs towable RV.
    I wonder if someone would like to share his experience towing with the Highlander with me? Performance, stability in the wind, and gas consumption.
    Thank you for your help!
  • Options
    roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    I have towed a 3200 lb boat, motor and trailer with my 2002. You will have no problem. A few pointers:

Drain and refill the transmission at least one a year. Its a little expensive, but wlll worth doing.

you may need a back up lock out. this may be tricky to wire.

make sure you have trailer brakes.

hope that helps. rr70
  • Options
    Thanks RR70, I appreciate your help and advise!
  • Options
    jjpetlovrjjpetlovr Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2010 V6 Highlander with the tow package. 5000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling and supplemental transmission oil cooler.
    We tow a 3900lb Coleman Niagara Tent Trailer. We had to add a break controller for the electric brakes on the trailer. We also added a WDH with sway control. It just didn't feel like a solid tow until we added the WDH. Now, it is great. Good control, very little sway with wind. (we are medium profile) Gas consumption takes a decent hit. We average 14. Less on steep pulls. Overall though, I think the Highlander does a great job.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hello jjpetlovr ,

I contacted Toyota dealer here in Houston and was informed I don't need heavy-duty radiator, engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling or supplemental transmission oil cooler. They said the 2012 is already equipped to tow 5000lbs. Did you buy those after purchasing the vehicle? and how strongly do you recommend them.

Thank you for your help!
  • Options
    jjpetlovrjjpetlovr Member Posts: 3
    Well... I tend to be overly cautious. On our 2010, the "tow package" was an option that we opted for because IMHO, you can never be too prepared. Can you tow without those options? Probably.... Do you have a little bit more piece of mind with those options??? I sure do. When I am pulling a steep grade, I love the fact that my temp gauge never goes up at all. I think that the Highlander does a fine job. But, towing does put a heavy load on all the components. I want it to be as easy on my tow vehicle as possible.
    Now, if the 2012 comes with those items Standard on the Highlander then that may be something to find out. If so, then you are set. :-)
    Not really sure I answered your question, but I know after reading a LOT of posts here, I think a lot of people agree.
    Good luck!!! :-)
  • Options
    Thank you again for the great information. I believe I will have to try as we go and add the upgrades if required. I appreciate your help knowing which ones I have to go for.

Be safe and thank you again!
  • Options
    hks3hks3 Member Posts: 1
    This is just a "heads up" for anyone who has or is planning to install a trailer hitch from u haul. Mine was installed in dec 2011. Three weeks ago my check engine light came on. Went to the dealer and the computer read out indicated a faulty neutral safety switch. The replaced the switch but it did not solve the problem. They had to contact Toyota technical support and get back to me. In the meantime 3 days ago I went to use my highlander. Put the key in -- nothing. Lights were working, etc but essentially it was dead. Finally was able to start it with the remote starter. Called a tow truck and brought to the dealer. Several warning lights were on. The dealer finally tracked the problem to the wiring harness installed by U haul which was short circuiting the electrical system and shutting things down. They removed the wiring harness and it is ok now. If you have a hitch installed by anyone make sure they use an isolation module with it. I never would have tied the problems I was having to a trailer hitch.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Oddly, this is a recurrent theme over many years for after market wiring for trailer electrics. Auto-electricians usually look at non standard wiring as their first point of tracing problems; the manufacturer's wiring loom is pretty fool-proof so you search for what is different about the vehicle.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    wgraferwgrafer Member Posts: 592
    On my 2012 HL there was an optional 'tow package' that was, as I recall, under $200 and well worthwhile for the heavy duty radiator, battery, etc. Small cost for a little extra margin of safety and reliability.
  • Options
    goodangoodan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Highlander that I have babied and pampered as much as I can. It has a tow package installed. I now have a new (to me) pop up tent trailer that weighs 2800 dry weight. I do not intend to load it very heavily and will not travel with water in the tanks. What advice do you folks have?

Thanks,

Ronni
  • Options
    ejo1ejo1 Member Posts: 8
    I tow with my 2007 Highlander Hybrid and am very pleased with it's capability. The Hybrid is rated for 3,500 lbs and can handle it easily. I just trailered my boat 500 plus miles through hilly country back roads and on the interstate hwy. always doing the speed limit and with the cruise control engaged she kept the speed up.
    The Hybrid has the CVT so you don't feel shifting all you see is mpg dropping going up hill and getting better going down hill. I averaged 17.8 mpg which was a lot better than the 13.1 mpg I got with my Nissan on a similar trip.
    Love the V-6 when getting up to speed on the hwy and love the hybrid for better mileage. :)
  • Options
    kossklankossklan Member Posts: 1
    I tow an EggCamper with my 2013 Toyota Highlander. The Highlander came equipped with a dealer installed hitch and 4 point connector. The EggCamper has electric breaks, so I had a Curt break controller and a 7 point connector installed. My problem began shortly after installing the break controller. The system worked find and I was able to set -up the controller to my trailer so that the trailer breaks were activated properly when the Highlander breaks were activated. About a week after setting up the controller, while not towing, the Highlanders computer indicated an ABS Break malfunction. The Toyota Dealer checked the break system and stated that the installer wire the controller to the ABS load sensor and the controller should be rewired properly. The installer attached the controller to the "blue" wire on the break pedal. All indications are of the four wires on the break the "blue" wire is the proper wire for this connection. If I disconnect the controller wire from this connection the ABS Break malfunction goes away.
    My question is has anyone had a similar problem and, if so, how was it solved.
  • Options
    SportyprofSportyprof Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 6 cyl 4 ed Toyota Highlander. How much weight can I tow? I had a hitch installed, but do I need a braking system, something for the radiator or transmission? I seem to recall they were on a previous vehicle I owned. Or... can I just tow without those things?
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    nwisecupnwisecup Member Posts: 1

I know this is an old thread but here is my experience.

My 2009 Toyota Highlander limited has the tow package. Purchased 1 owner at 105,000 miles. Drained and replaced all fluids with Amsoil and engine oil with Mobil 1. Flushed ATF with Toyota lube.

The vehicle is being used commercially for a mobile grooming business. The 6x12 that never really gets detatched weighs anywhere from 4,200-4700 lbs depending on generator fuel, clean water, and propane are on board.

Hitch is an andersen 3350, which works unbelievably well. Cat scales say my front axle is the se with trailer as without (270# transferred) and the trailer axles have 100# transferred to them.

Add in synthetic sumo springs, wiring for an integrated brake controller and 7 pin out, and some blizzaks for this time of the year and it is the safest, most competent trailerd rig I have operated. 10-11mpg in town, 12-14 on interstate at 70.

Set up right, the Highlander is a safe, reliable tow rig!!
  • Options
    jc4300jc4300 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know how much it costs to add a factory trailer hitch to a 2021 Highlander limited? Thanks